closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SubC dail/face has turned/moved...

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Gosh the lume blob at 11 and the baton are very off. And why is the date window so wonky?

That aside, I assumed 744ER was talking about the watch in question, not the entirety of Rolex's back catalogue, given this thread is specifically about a ceramic Sub.
    Yes. That's what made me ask if it might be a fake. I don't have many Rolex dials and can't remember if a ceramic sub dial touches the case or not. Might be wiser if it did in this instance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Tough but not unreasonable.

But that said seeing as this seems to be a very, very uncommon failure for a Rolex it does seem to be that most Rolexes are quite tough in regards to the dial feet.

Depending on what the OP paid for his secondhand (and a few years ago they were going for £4-4.5k used) then getting his back ‘as new’ after a full Rolex service with a full Rolex warranty will probably mean it’s worth north of it’s rrp in today’s market, so as unpalatable as this service bill is it might still make a good investment on the longterm value of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Hell will freeze over before I spend £1k mending a watch. Makes a bit of a joke of Rolex’s ‘tough as nails’ reputation. To be fair, drop any mechanical watch from waist height onto a hard surface and it’ll break - whether it’s a £100 Seiko or a £10000000000 Rolex! - very surprised at the dial rotating though, tbh I only ever bought Rolex new, would never spend £££ on something without knowing full history. I can’t actually remember the last time I spent £1k on a car service let alone a watch, what a farce - if this sounds mean, I really feel for the OP - get it mended, sell it and buy a G shock for scootering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It won't impact anything about Rolex though, not one jot, in truth.
    I’ve asked to be taken off the lists.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Just a thought, but maybe the dial feet were already sheared and the dial was glued on. Those double sided tape dots lose their adhesion after a time which would allow the dial to move without much of a shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    OK. If the model shown has a dial which does not touch the case then it would be easier for the feet to shear, possibly by a sharp shock. How would you suggest repairing it ? Solder ?

In cases like these (and assuming the dials are still brass!) I usually solder a pair of feet back on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    In cases like these (and assuming the dials are still brass!) I usually solder a pair of feet back on.
    I just returned undone this Landeron job. Someone tried to hot lead solder the dial feet back on and burned the dial face.

Even with a resistance solder machine there's a small the risk of discolouring a dial due to heat, I haven't done so to date but it's always a worry!

Here's a speedy dial I did, new feet had previously been araldited to the dial but the job didn't hold.

To get a strong joint you need to thoroughly clean the area where the feet are going to be soldered to first.

New legs were then soldered into position, the positioning is acutely critical, especially with a chronograph dial.

Then they were trimmed to the correct length.

And very importantly no damage to the printed side of the dial.

Journeyman
    Hi guys, just to be clear; I understand it was owned twice before me, I bought it Dec 15 and it was bought new in June 14. So was only 18 months old.

Also, before I received it had been sent to Rolex as it was gaining a little, so they checked it under warranty and provided the little service pouch and Rolex paper work report. It was in extremely good condition when I received it. And no, it hasn't been 'tinkered' with in my possession - if it had been in those initial 18 months, then I a) imagine Rolex wouldn't have regulated it for free, and b) I'd imagine it would have failed earlier than 4 years later.

It would appear now that only one person has seen this before (744ER) - which is why I am pushing the point with Rolex. To reiterate, I am not asking for a free service/crown (I'm happy to pay). I just didn't want to pay for the new dial/hands on the principle that I haven't seen others fail. I spent yesterday evening looking at the most beat up and bruised ceramic Rolex I could find online, but none have lost dial feet.

I am already resigned to the fact that I will have to pay. But hopefully this makes people aware that this can and, in my case, has happened.

Re : I just didn't want to pay for the new dial/hands on the principle that I haven't seen others fail.

I don’t understand that argument.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Hi guys, just to be clear; I understand it was owned twice before me, I bought it Dec 15 and it was bought new in June 14. So was only 18 months old.

Also, before I received it had been sent to Rolex as it was gaining a little, so they checked it under warranty and provided the little service pouch and Rolex paper work report. It was in extremely good condition when I received it. And no, it hasn't been 'tinkered' with in my possession - if it had been in those initial 18 months, then I a) imagine Rolex wouldn't have regulated it for free, and b) I'd imagine it would have failed earlier than 4 years later.

It would appear now that only one person has seen this before (744ER) - which is why I am pushing the point with Rolex. To reiterate, I am not asking for a free service/crown (I'm happy to pay). I just didn't want to pay for the new dial/hands on the principle that I haven't seen others fail. I spent yesterday evening looking at the most beat up and bruised ceramic Rolex I could find online, but none have lost dial feet.

I am already resigned to the fact that I will have to pay. But hopefully this makes people aware that this can and, in my case, has happened.
    No reason to doubt you whatsoever, and I would be happy to look at the back of the dial for you, purely out of interest.
    (postal charges of course).
    Rolex may never have taken the watch apart but just opened the back if it was sent to them purely for regulation.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    Even with a resistance solder machine there's a small the risk of discolouring a dial due to heat, I haven't done so to date but it's always a worry!

Here's a speedy dial I did, new feet had previously been araldited to the dial but the job didn't hold.

To get a strong joint you need to thoroughly clean the area where the feet are going to be soldered to first.

New legs were then soldered into position, the positioning is acutely critical, especially with a chronograph dial.

Then they were trimmed to the correct length.

And very importantly no damage to the printed side of the dial.

Wow. You've got some balls putting heat anywhere near a painted or lacquered dial. Very lucky if there are no marks as a result.
    Those brass dial pads raise the dial enough to interfere with the small chronograph hands as do those double sided dots. I would either laser fit the dial feet or get my restorer to fix new ones.

A resistance foot soldering machine is specifically designed to flash heat the brass without marking the dial, I've done many, many dials over the years and have yet to mark one. Of course that could mean one's due at any moment!

The risk comes in if you don't get a strong enough joint initially meaning more heat has to be put in, it can happen (and I've had it happen) but no marking as of yet. It is a skill knowing how to successfully use this method but the more you do the more proficient you become.

Of course I never tackle any of these type of jobs without making the customer fully aware of any risks and getting their explicit consent to do so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Here is a Rolex dial with a ring around the outer edge.
    How do you explain this if it does not touch the inside of the case ? Or is this dial a fake ?

That damage appears if the dial screws are loose, it rocks back and forth between movement and rehaut edge. Also, that dial is may well be a fake. I've never seen a blue mosaic dial for rolex and the text is off... What reference is it from?
    Anyhoo, here's a pic from a 30+ year old 16014 i took today. Original T Swiss T dial in mint condition, no marks (the rest of the watch was anything but mint.) You can see the edge of the movment where it rests against the case below the dial.

Rolex have done this since the 15XX movements at least.
    Last edited by 744ER; 15th August 2019 at 19:31.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Can anyone tell me what watches and models Duncan at Genesis does work on?

I've tried multiple times to get quotes for Omegas and Brietling, and it's always the same – we don't work on those
    He did a brilliant job of my wifes date just, service, dial replacement and crown. Why not ask him, he has always been very good with my questions

Re : I just didn't want to pay for the new dial/hands on the principle that I haven't seen others fail.
    I fear that’s your undoing in this matter.... when the subC range (and maybe GMT ii) was released iirc there were some cases where the bracelet failed I think most affected owners had this replaced whilst in warranty and I seem to recall people saying they’d had the part replaced while they waited at the Kent SC

Had this been your issue, then perhaps Rolex might have said “ok fair enough, it’s a bit of known issue” but the failure case of your watch is so (apparently) rare that perhaps Rolex are thinking “well something untoward has happened here”

Even though by all accounts it hasn’t.

(By the way, I have the same watch as you, so I hope mine’s ok)

Journeyman
    Hi all, I'm not sure If I ever updated this... Anyway, I paid the full invoice in the end and received the watch back a few months ago. I've not had any problems since. It was a weird problem to see, but Rolex technicians (I think I spoke to the head of at the service centre) said that it is something they do come across, albeit not often, and is 99% of the time down to user error (drops, bangs etc).

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Presumably because the people who cry "it's an obvious fake" so confidently, then run off and go quiet. They can cause a lot of angst and should explain themselves 'in the spirit of the forum' (whatever that means these days).
    On a final note, and in line with the above, can I just mention that the people who shout fake so loudly at the beginning of the thread really don't help anything whatsoever (apart from making themselves look silly maybe). Maybe if you come across something like this again you could simply request more/better photos to put your mind at rest?

Thank you of course to everyone else who kindly shared their knowledge and advice. It was an expensive lesson for me, but it did make me appreciate my Seamaster collection a lot more whilst the Sub was being fixed.

SubC dail/face has turned/moved...

Last edited by Euan Begbie; 28th April 2020 at 18:18.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    Excellent contribution.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Excellent contribution.
    Rather obvious that he posted a message and then retracted it for whatever reason.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Rather obvious that he posted a message and then retracted it for whatever reason.
    Or just a runner.