closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SubC dail/face has turned/moved...

Personal opinion, but for a £6k watch, I’d be resigning myself to paying for either the Rolex service or a Rolex accredited repair (eg Genesis).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Personal opinion, but for a £6k watch, I’d be resigning myself to paying for either the Rolex service or a Rolex accredited repair (eg Genesis).
    I’m happy to pay for the service; it’s simply that I’ve never seen or heard of this before on a Rolex. I work in the City, so I’m hardly treating it like Bear Grills :) I’ll report back tomorrow anyway.

And thank you, those of you who have recommended independents.

Well best of luck at Rolex tomorrow OP. But this image posted above would have me worried, if that is indeed the same watch you now have.
    That crown clasp has either seen a lot of desk action, or it's snide.

The clasp on my Explorer for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    But this image posted above would have me worried, if that is indeed the same watch you now have.
    That crown clasp has either seen a lot of desk action, or it's snide.

The clasp on my Explorer for comparison.

Here are two adverts again:

December 2015

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    For sale is my Rolex 114060, this watch is from the EU (Italy) and was purchased by me from ~dadam02~ from SC this year, and has been worn, but in rotation with other watches, so not heavy use.

Earlier in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    As part of my ongoing collection summer cleaning i'm putting this lovely Sub ND up for sale. I brought this back in Jan and its been worn in rotation since so is in excellent condition, save for a few hairlines on the clasp and a couple of the faintest or faint hairlines on the polished case sides (extremely hard to see, but mentioned for transparancy). It goes without saying that these will buff out in a jiffy.

The two images have matching scratch marks on the larger part of the clasp. Maybe the letterbox pooper is just a shite photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The two images have matching scratch marks on the larger part of the clasp. Maybe the letterbox pooper is just a shite photographer.
    I hope so Matthew.

Those are great photo's in ~dadam02~'s sales post!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Part of the reason I thought it was fake was the fact the lume pip doesn't line up with the bezel correctly. However, having looked at my SDc, neither do they!
    You can see this in ~dadam02~'s photo's too. I'm surprised this is 'acceptable' on a Rolex; it'd bug the heck out me if that was mine!

Journeyman
    Honestly guys. The majority of posts here are regarding this being a fake. I have absolutely no words... I’m sure it used to be friendlier here. I was simply looking for advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spk View Post
    Honestly guys. The majority of posts here are regarding this being a fake. I have absolutely no words... I’m sure it used to be friendlier here. I was simply looking for advice.
    Everyone's looking for a drama, it seems.

All the same, I'm curious now to know what Rolex will say. ;-)

What's ~dadam02~ take on this?

Oh and this isn't a accusation.
    Last edited by number2; 5th August 2019 at 07:42.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

SubC dail/face has turned/moved...

Really not trying to be unfriendly. From your reaction you clearly have no concerns about authenticity, so it must just be a bad photo. If you know it isn’t fake then that’s all good isn’t it? No need to take offence.

If I had a second hand watch and people thought it might be fake I would want to know! You were looking for advice, well if people think the watch is fake then that forms advice in and of itself... get Rolex to have a look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It can be hard at the best of times to spot a fake when you are holding them, nevermind making assumptions based off one photo on the net.

I appreciate the intent might have been to alert the OP, but I think the tone in which it was delivered leaves a lot to be desired. At least that is my take on it. I have to say it has been conducted in a manner that is a little off imo.

Good luck with getting the dial rectified, I hope it all works out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    It can be hard at the best of times to spot a fake when you are holding them, nevermind making assumptions based off one photo on the net.

I appreciate the intent might have been to alert the OP, but I think the tone in which it was delivered leaves a lot to be desired. At least that is my take on it. I have to say it has been conducted in a manner that is a little off imo.

Good luck with getting the dial rectified, I hope it all works out.
    One of the issues with modern text based communication I guess. Tone is interpreted by the person receiving the message and not given like it is in speech.

Might the questionable photo of the clasp just be the work of some home refinishing?

There are some extremely knowledgeable folks on here, but spotting a fake is probably a lot easier in real life than it is from web resolution photos.

iirc Rolex are fond of making little font changes to keep the fakers on their toes, and SubCs are fairly well know for bezel alignment issues... I had Rolex fix mine under warranty.

The other problem with gauging alignment from a photo is that it doesn’t take much for the camera to be every so slightly at an angle which can make things look misaligned when they’re not.

OP is going to St James so better to wait and hear what they have to say (if the OP is inclined to share) than add more anxiety to what must already be a stressful situation.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    One of the issues with modern text based communication I guess. Tone is interpreted by the person receiving the message and not given like it is in speech.

I agree :)

However, it does not take long to provide some weight to the comment, such as an example as to what may have alerted you to it potentially being a fake.

I.e. : "I wonder if you would have had the same issue with a real Rolex ;)" does not really help anyone.

"Jesus pal, that's an awful fake. I really hope you know that." Well, perhaps provide some of the issues you spotted and alert and educate them, rather than just being a bit elitist.

I appreciate that yourself and others then did go on to clarify, which is very helpful. But I guess I'm not sure why they wouldn't be part of the original message :|

Anyway, i'll get off my high horse now :P

Quote Originally Posted by adzman808 View Post
    Might the questionable photo of the clasp just be the work of some home refinishing?
    That's possible. OP, nobody has any intention of being unfriendly just as nobody likes seeing that sort of mishap to a watch or anyone being had over.

As I said before, best of luck at Rolex.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Could just be the photos but the dimensions of lume pip, dial indexes, general finish does look a bit off... Never mind the fact its extremely unusual for Rolex dials to come loose...

Do you have a maid or a nanny who may have done the old switcharoo?

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Could just be the photos but the dimensions of lume pip, dial indexes, general finish does look a bit off... Never mind the fact its extremely unusual for Rolex dials to come loose...

Do you have a maid or a nanny who may have done the old switcharoo?
    Thats a bit presumptuous, it could quite easily have been the butler or head gardener.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Thats a bit presumptuous, it could quite easily have been the butler or head gardener.
    Maybe it was Col Mustard?

Would be interested to here how the OP went on at Rolex today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If Rolex can't help you (at a sensible price), bear in mind that Sean McNeill, whom I recommended in #18, is at Piccadilly Circus so comfortable walking distance from St. James.
    Another recommendation for Sean in Piccadilly Circus. He can be hard to get hold of as he keeps odd working hours, and the queues can be very long, so getting your watch back can be a bit frustrating, but he'll do a good job. He used to work at Seiko's service centre in the 70s/80s, so he's an excellent man to work on vintage Seikos. Just make sure you're not in a hurry, as the queues are long and he likes to tell a tale ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Would be interested to here how the OP went on at Rolex today.

Me too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    What's ~dadam02~ take on this?

Oh and this isn't a accusation.
    Well this thread was quite interesting until I got pulled in

But in all seriousness, and I haven't followed back the trail as I'm currently on holiday, but if it indeed the one I sold to soundood back in 2015 it certainly looked a goodun. The watch was mint, the clasp certainly didn't look like it does in the OP and my pictures at the time (2015) will attest to that. I certainly had no doubt as to its authenticity, and I owned a Hulk for comparison at the time. Anyways, looking forward to hearing how OP got on at RSC St James.

James,
    Not casting aspersions and please accept my apology if I gave that impression, it seems soundood had two 114060 watches go through his ownership roughly a year apart, and a quick look at those photos together with your photos especially the clasp suggests that all may not be good news for the OP, I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

The soundood advert I pasted in was the advert the OP bought from, and specifically says that it was the watch he bought from ~dadam02~ Hopefully that was the straightforward truth, and that his photography is the only thing iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The soundood advert I pasted in was the advert the OP bought from, and specifically says that it was the watch he bought from ~dadam02~ Hopefully that was the straightforward truth, and that his photography is the only thing iffy.
    Totally agree.

Journeyman
    Please please please can we finally leave the saga of lume-pip gate and dodgy clasp crown gate now. It’s real. My photos maybe rubbish but some of the comments are frankly ridiculous. If I was concerned regarding a fellow member’s watch authenticity then I would simply ask for a better photo or send them a PM, rather than cast aspersions straight away.

Rolex have taken it in and are currently assessing it. The service was perfect, if a little overrun in there (no free seats!). If I don’t hear back today or tomorrow (safe to say I won’t today) then it’ll be fixed under a goodwill gesture I believe. Otherwise they will price the cost for me, which I can confirm if they do for other people’s awareness. The manager told me that in ten years of working with Rolex she has only seen this three times (this being the third), but they’re aware it can happen.

Thank you to the polite and kind posters, it’s much appreciated. And thank you to those who apologised if offence was caused; it’s fine and I appreciate your concern. I’ll update more when I’m in a position too.

Phew!
    I think we're all pleased for you,
    You may not like it but as time has gone on for many soundood isn't exactly regarded as a 'piller of the community'.
    Glad it's going to be sorted.

Glad it got resolved.

Master
    Please please please can we finally leave the saga of lume-pip gate and dodgy clasp crown gate now. It’s real. My photos maybe rubbish but some of the comments are frankly ridiculous. If I was concerned regarding a fellow member’s watch authenticity then I would simply ask for a better photo or send them a PM, rather than cast aspersions straight away.

Rolex have taken it in and are currently assessing it. The service was perfect, if a little overrun in there (no free seats!). If I don’t hear back today or tomorrow (safe to say I won’t today) then it’ll be fixed under a goodwill gesture I believe. Otherwise they will price the cost for me, which I can confirm if they do for other people’s awareness. The manager told me that in ten years of working with Rolex she has only seen this three times (this being the third), but they’re aware it can happen.

Thank you to the polite and kind posters, it’s much appreciated. And thank you to those who apologised if offence was caused; it’s fine and I appreciate your concern. I’ll update more when I’m in a position too.

So they havent opened it yet? OK, sounds good so far let us know what the assessment and cost will be.

That's great news, especially if they'll do it under a goodwill gesture

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see of they do it as a goodwill gesture (hope so!).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    However, it does not take long to provide some weight to the comment, such as an example as to what may have alerted you to it potentially being a fake.

I.e. : "I wonder if you would have had the same issue with a real Rolex ;)" does not really help anyone.

"Jesus pal, that's an awful fake. I really hope you know that." Well, perhaps provide some of the issues you spotted and alert and educate them, rather than just being a bit elitist.

I appreciate that yourself and others then did go on to clarify, which is very helpful. But I guess I'm not sure why they wouldn't be part of the original message :|

Anyway, i'll get off my high horse now :P
    I have to agree.

It seems to me that, in any area of life, criticism is fine but it does need to be constructive. Certainly, criticism is only useful if is constructive. In this context, "constructive" surely means providing details of issues that have been spotted so as to provide meaning and depth to otherwise seemingly throwaway comments.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I have to agree.

It seems to me that, in any area of life, criticism is fine but it does need to be constructive. Certainly, criticism is only useful if is constructive. In this context, "constructive" surely means providing details of issues that have been spotted so as to provide meaning and depth to otherwise seemingly throwaway comments.
    I've just come back to this thread -

Mine was a throw away comment, and in jest, hence the ;)

The dial and hands looked ok ish (which can usually be an easy tell). The bezel doesn't look anything like the original photos, which the OP has explainer ate down to needing a clean and the photos.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I've just come back to this thread -

Mine was a throw away comment, and in jest, hence the ;)

The dial and hands looked ok ish (which can usually be an easy tell). The bezel doesn't look anything like the original photos, which the OP has explainer ate down to needing a clean and the photos.
    Yup, fair enough.

Journeyman
    A brief update is that Rolex didn't contact me yesterday. As they told me they would let me know by COB Tuesday if there was a price involved, or otherwise just go ahead and fix it for me on goodwill - I can only assume it's now under repair.

I'll report back when they call me to collect.
    Thanks.

Fingers crossed for a free goodwill fix.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Good result, hopefully :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    A brief update is that Rolex didn't contact me yesterday. As they told me they would let me know by COB Tuesday if there was a price involved, or otherwise just go ahead and fix it for me on goodwill - I can only assume it's now under repair.

I'll report back when they call me to collect.
    Thanks.
    I wonder if they'll service it at the time? Might be quite a result in the end.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I can get the dial feet reattached for you with a laser. It will cost around £150.00

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The only occasions on which I have heard similar damage stories with Rolex were with BIG hits....

SubC dail/face has turned/moved...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    The only occasions on which I have heard similar damage stories with Rolex were with BIG hits....
    Is that a rap artist or a porn star?

No fake Rolex then?
    No enough drama here.
    I have to go back to the “Bear Pit Bozo” thread..

Apprentice
    Be good to hear how this all ends, it was a great read on the tram this morning! I need a conclusive ending though!

Craftsman
    SubC ND is what I'l get myself for my 40th. Turned 39 this week and found one for £6150.....i could buy it and stick it in a draw for a year.

Of course, they'll probably crash in price post brexit knowing my luck.

Anyway, glad its in hand and that you have piece of mind. Good luck with getting a speedy resolution.

Master
    Any update?

Journeyman

Update.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Any update?
    Yes, I'm afraid they have come back to me. late last week I received an estimate of £1,022. This is due to: a) required service, b) new crown, c) new dial and hands (they come as a set).

I have pushed back as I tried explaining that I believed the dial feet breaking must have been a build error. I was also annoyed as St James categorically told me that it would 'just be fixed' if I hadn't heard back by COB Tuesday, so I imagine they shouldn't have said that (estimate came through late Thursday). They then sent it to Kent, who have said the same as the above. I've said I'll pay for the service/crown but as I haven't dropped it, thrown it at a wall or ran it over, it was the new dial that I took issue with.

I have spoken to Duncan at Genesis, who has independently confirmed that it would need a new dial if the feet have gone (he's not currently doing this model, but was still very helpful).

I've never seen this before, and all internet searches lead to nothing, but it seems I've run out of options with Rolex and will just have to pay as they suggest - not a cheap fix. At least it will come back looking new(ish) from past experience. My main annoyance is that, over the years I have seen Rolex with crown impact issues, suffered large falls, or even times where the glass has been broken due to impact – but none of these events have led to failing dial feet…

I await to hear from the customer service manager, but I cant imagine it being different to St James or the other non-manager at Kent. I'll report back though.

Very poor indeed. What mugs we are to put up with this from Rolex after the prices we pay for their trinkets.

Master
    Thanks for the update.

Any response from those who confidently believed it to be a fake?

The cost is appalling, and I too have never heard of anything like this, though I guess it's possible for anything to break. It does make you wonder if there was a tiny manufacturing error on your watch.

I'd be very upset in your shoes.

At 6 years old I would accept a service cost, as it’s due, and the crown is often replaced at service, mine was.

I would take issue with the dial foot failure unless there was very clear evidence of drop damage. I think my approach to the RSC service manager would be:

Service and crown ok
    The dial foot should not have failed, so I would request a goodwill approach to the dial, and the hands.

If they won’t respond to a reasoned approach then you are unfortunately a hostage to it.

I’m sorry to hear this

Dave