closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 2 42mm black vs white - how do they compare on the wrist?

Master

Explorer 2 42mm black vs white - how do they compare on the wrist?

The reason for the question is i love the dimensions but have tried the polar model on a number of times and it seems to wear bigger than its proportions suggest. My Pelagos looked smaller on my wrist. Does the black dial variant wear more true to the 42mm size it is?

Anyone tried on both and can comment?

Stu

Master
    I have the 42mm polar and it looks bigger on the wrist than my newly accquired SD43 although i don't have a wrist shot of that yet.

If i hadn't bought the SD43 this week i was going to buy the Explorer11 in black as it's the most comfortable watch i have worn as it sits flat on my small wrists.

I think and it's hard to explain but the black seems to wear slightly smaller but that could be my imagination.

So although 42mm it looks bigger than my SD43mm that's why i always try before i buy.

Master
    The polar dial certainly wears big. I have turned down buying it 3 times. Dimensions are perfect. I need to find a black dial version and try that on.

Journeyman
    216570 do wear large,tried the white and black versions few years ago and they fit bigger than 44mm Panerai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post
    216570 do wear large,tried the white and black versions few years ago and they fit bigger than 44mm Panerai
    It’s the flat dial and thin bezel. The Pelagos had a thicker bezel and the chapter ring sloped inwards shrinking the dial.

Journeyman
    I think the domed caseback coupled with fat lugs also made the watch fits somewhat clumsy

I have pam 23 which have the same bezel shape,but the caseback is flat which made the watch fits better on the wrist

I love the white.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I owned the black version twice it was that good and found it so comfortable to wear for all occasions.
    Its easily one of the most legible watches I’ve owned, obviously the white version wears
    and looks bigger dial wise but the ExplorerII certainly wears slim on the wrist and doesn’t feel overly bulky in anyway.

Explorer>Mountain>Snow>White would be my personal choice, for some reason my mind associates these images

Master
    I have had a black one from new but never tried a white one. It’s certainly not a small watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have a polar dial but think that each are stunning. In an ideal world I would have one of each.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Explorer 2 42mm black vs white - how do they compare on the wrist?

I tried both on. I did think the white one looked bigger on the wrist. The plots etc also seemed larger. I ended up getting the black one. It seemed better balanced and more subtle. But to each their own. ;)

Master
    I tried both on, fully expecting to purchase the polar. On the wrist, the black just seemed to click... so that’s what I went with. I think subconsciously the darker dial makes it feel like it’s a touch smaller.

How easy are these to come by these days? Presuming same situation as other steel ones but with a few saying they’ve tried both on, just thought I’d ask.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They're scarcer than they were but its not impossible to see them in windows.

Ive had both and imo they wear the same, large. This is due to the length rather than the diameter imo.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    They're scarcer than they were but its not impossible to see them in windows.

Ive had both and imo they wear the same, large. This is due to the length rather than the diameter imo.
    Cheers. Going to start looking around for one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    How easy are these to come by these days? Presuming same situation as other steel ones but with a few saying they’ve tried both on, just thought I’d ask.
    I bought mine 4 years ago when you could walk in to any AD and view either...back before all this nonsense. Even tried on a GMT II at the same time.

Journeyman
    I didn’t buy the 216570 but I tried them around 5 years ago when there were no crazy demand for any steel Rolexes

I’ve looked at them quite a few times in the past. Was going to buy one two years ago but got another Sub. It was only 2yrs a go I managed to get a batman within 6 weeks and at rrp.

Crazy how it is now. Even the AD I’ve bought 4 Rolex from don’t seem to be as good as they have been. Sad really.

Never looked at a Polar but would be interested to try one.