closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stunning timepieces in Wales and origins of the word watch.

Master
    Blog Entries

Stunning timepieces in Wales and origins of the word watch.

The museum above the tourist information centre in Aberystwyth is one of the best I’ve ever visited.
    I was lucky when I visited to have it all to myself.
    Besides many interesting Welsh cultural items and art there was a surprising amount of clocks and watches.
    I will post more photos later.

This was new to me.

free img hosting

Master
    Blog Entries
    I told the curator how much I loved the ship painting she went into the store room and gave me an old postcard of it,everyone was very friendly.

Last edited by bwest76; 1st August 2019 at 11:32.

Craftsman
    The Celtic origin of the word Clock is a strong indicator that mechanical clocks were first built in the celtic speaking parts of the UK. Other indicators are the surviving early cathederal clocks, all West of England, and the really quite complicated mechanism used in the even earlier 13th century church clock in Ottery St Mary, Devon.

It's a fascinating subject and one I've looked into quite a lot. For instance, why do we have 24 hours in a day and 60 minutes in an hour. That's thanks to the Sumerians and their use of a duodecimal (base 12) numbering system long before the world decided that since we have 10 fingers it would be good to count in base 10.

Going a bit further, once you can build complicated mechanical machines, then it's not a huge leap to build a complicated mechanical machine that use steam to power it in order to solve the problem of water ingress into deep mines. The start of the industrial revolution, with the first steam engined by Thomas Newcomen, of Devon.

I wrote up my, no doubt biased, thoughts and opinions on the following link.

https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...-a-watch-works

Master
    Blog Entries
    I shall read that later,just going to load some more photos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    The Celtic origin of the word Clock is a strong indicator that mechanical clocks were first built in the celtic speaking parts of the UK. Other indicators are the surviving early cathederal clocks, all West of England, and the really quite complicated mechanism used in the even earlier 13th century church clock in Ottery St Mary, Devon.

It's a fascinating subject and one I've looked into quite a lot. For instance, why do we have 24 hours in a day and 60 minutes in an hour. That's thanks to the Sumerians and their use of a duodecimal (base 12) numbering system long before the world decided that since we have 10 fingers it would be good to count in base 10.

Going a bit further, once you can build complicated mechanical machines, then it's not a huge leap to build a complicated mechanical machine that use steam to power it in order to solve the problem of water ingress into deep mines. The start of the industrial revolution, with the first steam engined by Thomas Newcomen, of Devon.

I wrote up my, no doubt biased, thoughts and opinions on the following link.

https://marinechronometer.co.uk/inde...-a-watch-works
    How interesting. Thanks for this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This one fascinated me,spelling of the towns name varied.

Nice one!
    Love museums like that

BUBI 0_0

Master
    Not sure what the Welsh for this suggested derivation is, but in English I think the word is "b*ll*cks"!

“… referred to as a watch, since the dial face had to be looked at in order to see the time.”

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not sure what the Welsh for this suggested derivation is, but in English I think the word is "b*ll*cks"!

“… referred to as a watch, since the dial face had to be looked at in order to see the time.”
    How about, as a pure guess so probably completely wrong, the watch getting it's name because army/navy officers of the 18th century needed to keep an eye on the time so they could change the soldiers/sailors they had out on watch. Out on 'watch' got it's name because they were watching for any bad guys that might sneek up. Wherever it comes from, it's definitely an English language word.