closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bell & Ross BR03 Diver and a bit of Monaco

Bell & Ross BR03 Diver and a bit of Monaco

You know the drill, go watch hunting, then write a post, hoping forum wisdom will help your choice.

Warning: No Rolex in sight

I know they are a little divisive as a brand, but I went to Manchester to my nearest B&R dealer to try(again) the 03, and the new diver.

I had a lovely time talking watches with a young guy who was just very passionate about all watches. I normally find dealers awkward, but this was a really excellent experience. He let me have a no pressure play with whatever I wanted, for over an hour. It was delightful.

Now I’m very fond of B&R, and although I have a Demineur and a 123 Geneva, the brands defining models and “enfant terrible” are the instruments. They didn’t have the Black Matte, which I think is the most compelling, but I did try the Commando and MA 1, both ceramic cased. Now the quality and casework is outstanding, but on the wrist it’s hard to get away from the squareness.

The Diver, in black ceramic is something else!

When I was first aware of them, I thought the design was lazy, and a bit mad, not worthy of being the successor of the BR02. The watch has grown on me, to the point were I’m getting a bit obsessed by it. There have been a couple of expertly photographed bronze ones on the forum recently, and that hasn’t helped!

In the flesh, the quality of the case, bezel, dial, everything really, is fantastic. The bezel also tones down the brutal squareness of the aviation models, and I do prefer it on the wrist. The aviation models are “purer”, but there is something really great about the diver as a whole.

Now it’s £3500, although if I go ahead there will be some movement. A Black Bay or Seamaster 300 is a much better choice for many, but if you have a collection of the usual suspects, then there is nothing like it

I did also look again at the Calibre 11 Monaco, which is my other obsession

Over 2 years ago I got a Speedy Moon over this, which I have never bonded with, and I regret not being brave enough to get the Monaco.

The dial is still beautiful, and it’s still very thick. The retail is £4750 (!), although £3500 from a grey with the weak pound.

I’m torn. They are all marmite watches, but I have obsessed over both, but never been brave enough to step away from safe choices. My wife refers to them as “the ugly square watches”

I don’t want another case of buyers remorse. Decisions!

The B&R diver is quite a surprise in the flesh

If anyone ones a Monaco and a 03, particularly a diver, in any material, I would love to hear your thoughts on both.

If you’ve read this far, thanks for listening

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 30th July 2019 at 19:32.

Dave

I have a Monaco and a SS 03. Love them both, I still miss my BR02 and may pick another up but it’s much better than a box of the usual suspects

Master
    Dave, If you are after a Monaco , is it worth trying Cheshire Oaks as there is a Tag boutique there?

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Dave, If you are after a Monaco , is it worth trying Cheshire Oaks as there is a Tag boutique there?
    Thanks, but that boutique has only had the grey dial Calibre 11, and doesn’t get the blue one

In a perfect world, and with more money available, I would get both. Unfortunately I need to decide between them.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    You know the drill, go watch hunting, then write a post, hoping forum wisdom will help your choice.

Warning: No Rolex in sight

I know they are a little divisive as a brand, but I went to Manchester to my nearest B&R dealer to try(again) the 03, and the new diver.

I had a lovely time talking watches with a young guy who was just very passionate about all watches. I normally find dealers awkward, but this was a really excellent experience. He let me have a no pressure play with whatever I wanted, for over an hour. It was delightful.

Now I’m very fond of B&R, and although I have a Demineur and a 123 Geneva, the brands defining models and “enfant terrible” are the instruments. They didn’t have the Black Matte, which I think is the most compelling, but I did try the Commando and MA 1, both ceramic cased. Now the quality and casework is outstanding, but on the wrist it’s hard to get away from the squareness.

The Diver, in black ceramic is something else!

When I was first aware of them, I thought the design was lazy, and a bit mad, not worthy of being the successor of the BR02. The watch has grown on me, to the point were I’m getting a bit obsessed by it. There have been a couple of expertly photographed bronze ones on the forum recently, and that hasn’t helped!

In the flesh, the quality of the case, bezel, dial, everything really, is fantastic. The bezel also tones down the brutal squareness of the aviation models, and I do prefer it on the wrist. The aviation models are “purer”, but there is something really great about the diver as a whole.

Now it’s £3500, although if I go ahead there will be some movement. A Black Bay or Seamaster 300 is a much better choice for many, but if you have a collection of the usual suspects, then there is nothing like it

I did also look again at the Calibre 11 Monaco, which is my other obsession

Over 2 years ago I got a Speedy Moon over this, which I have never bonded with, and I regret not being brave enough to get the Monaco.

The dial is still beautiful, and it’s still very thick. The retail is £4750 (!), although £3500 from a grey with the weak pound.

I’m torn. They are all marmite watches, but I have obsessed over both, but never been brave enough to step away from safe choices. My wife refers to them as “the ugly square watches”

I don’t want another case of buyers remorse. Decisions!

The B&R diver is quite a surprise in the flesh

If anyone ones a Monaco and a 03, particularly a diver, in any material, I would love to hear your thoughts on both.

Dave

My other half also thinks square watches are ugly, especially when I keep looking at the same Monaco or Cartier 100. The Bell & Ross diver seems a very good watch, although I did read a review when someone compared it to a Seiko design & I cannot shake that. Also reminds me when I first got into watches and I was deciding between a U Boat & B&R, both loose money from RRP but I did go the U Boat route.

The Monaco is probably the only Tag I'd go for, even though it has a very tenuous link to the style icon that is McQueen, also a hell a lot of money for a basic Tag Movement. But it does look cool, seriously cool and a wonderful blue.

I had a Monaco but didnt bond with it as it looked bad on my wrist. I have the br03 bronze diver with green bezel and it is a clear favourite. As you say the case finish is impeccable. Why worry what others say. I am sure watch talk had been the motivation for many buyer's remorse sales. So go with your heart and listen to yourself and not us lot

Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    I had a Monaco but didnt bond with it as it looked bad on my wrist. I have the br03 bronze diver with green bezel and it is a clear favourite. As you say the case finish is impeccable. Why worry what others say. I am sure watch talk had been the motivation for many buyer's remorse sales. So go with your heart and listen to yourself and not us lot
    Your Bronze diver is fantastic :)

I’m aware that once I bailed on the Monaco for the safe but wrong choice, and I feel I’m about to bail again

Have you had an aviation BR03 before? I think they are the purer design, as the new diver is retrofitted to that basic shape. Purity or not I thought the diver was awesome, and as I said, the larger round bezel does distract from the squareness

The guy at the AD said there is a very limited bronze allocation, but he could probably get one.

Dave

There is an all bronze diver in Vienna. I have had br01 before but it was just too big. The steel br03 is beautiful. The guy told me the most popular watch he sells is the br03 black ceramic case.

I would try the bronze and green if you want a change. But the black diver is also great. I guess you have to go with your heart and what you love to look at. The great thing about bell & Ross is that their oem straps are good and reasonably well priced.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, your black ceramic diver would look amazing on an orange strap

Master
    As a very happy owner of a ceramic cased BR03, I was intrigued to see the new ceramic diver in a window display in Oxford yesterday. Unfortunately didn't have time to have a proper look, but it looked great and something i'd love to own. I'd be happy with any of the divers, with bronze and blue being my favs.

As for the square watch thing, I can only say for myself how pleasantly surprised i was at just how much i like and enjoy it - far more than anticipated. The ceramic case is awesome, and the best thing is that 7 months after buying it, it still looks like brand new! I've got 3 OEM straps for it - leather, rubber and nylon - and each completely changes the look of the watch (the straps are fairly reasonably priced from B&R as well)

If resale is a consideration then you need to buy well - I picked mine up in an end of year sale at 35% off (although i doubt if there will be much to be had off of the divers) If not, and you can afford it, i can't see that you will be anything but happy with it.

(gratuitous pic)

Journeyman
    Personally I'd go Monaco. Have you tried a Monaco on?

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post

If resale is a consideration then you need to buy well - I picked mine up in an end of year sale at 35% off (although i doubt if there will be much to be had off of the divers) If not, and you can afford it, i can't see that you will be anything but happy with it.
    I'm coming round to the standard black ceramic 03, as I think the design is purer, and there is something to be said for that, as amazing as the diver is

I think it was me who put out the 35% PSA, should have followed my own advice! I suspect 15% is as much as I could get discounted at the AD now, maybe at the end of the year I would do better, if I'm prepared to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Latza View Post
    Personally I'd go Monaco. Have you tried a Monaco on?
    More times than I care to admit!!

It's beautiful, and an icon, but it is thick, and it is a bit slab-like on the wrist. I do like lower profile watches.

Cheers

Dave

Master
    I'm coming round to the standard black ceramic 03, as I think the design is purer, and there is something to be said for that, as amazing as the diver is

I think it was me who put out the 35% PSA, should have followed my own advice! I suspect 15% is as much as I could get discounted at the AD now, maybe at the end of the year I would do better, if I'm prepared to wait
    In that case I owe you a big thank you! I agree with you regards the 03, in ceramic anyway. In SS i’d rather have one of the divers.

I think the Monaco can sometimes look like it’s trying too hard and would be more tempted by the B&R if you find the 03 comfortable (as it seems to be divisive on that criterion as well an aesthetic one). As you know and have noted, the quality of the execution is top drawer.

But... how come the Bi-Compass isn’t on the list? That’s where I’d be going if I was you, really like the look and the colour scheme.

Bell & Ross BR03 Diver and a bit of Monaco

Dave
    Hi Dave,

As you know from the times you've kindly replied to my threads on these watches, I've had the first bronze diver, before they introduced the green ceramic bezel, for a while and I've quite recently managed, after a very long (though self-inflicted) wait, to get a Calibre 11 Monaco.

I'll add some pictures but if there are any particular comparison shots you'd like to see then just let me know.

For me, I'm wearing the Monaco a lot at the moment but that's because I've wanted one for so long that I'm still a little star-struck and obviously it's a more recent addition so the Honeymoon is still in full swing!

In regard to how they wear, the Monaco feels lighter but if you're going to go for the black ceramic then the reverse will be true. The BR03 is much flatter and sits better on the wrist and also doesn't move around as much during wear I find, though this could be due to my prominent wrist bone and where I wear it as well. The Monaco seems taller, though I haven't looked at them side-by-side that much, so I can test that to make sure. The deployant on the Monaco is very nice when closed, it's almost as nice to look at as the watch! For the BR, strap changing is very easy with the screw-in lugs so the choice of straps is endless, though I should say that the bars are quite thick so they won't fit all straps but made for B&R, Panerai and some other straps shouldn't be a problem.

Build quality is solid across both watches, they have a premium feel and both feel like they can take a good knock, with the bronze feeling particularly bomb-proof. It's difficult to compare finishing as the materials are so different but I can say that I wasn't disappointed by either one and I don't think you could handle them and feel that you were short-changed. The strap on the Monaco is perhaps its weak point, it's a little thin and uninspiring, the blue croc on the Calibre 12 I found much nicer when I tried that one on.

I haven't monitored the timekeeping so I can't really compare from that side of things but for operation, both hit the markers, crown action is smooth and the pushers on the Monaco have a nice crisp, reassuring click!

One thing to mention on the bronze is that if you're like me, and this isn't just related to my user name but a little age related as well, and you have some ahem, spare flesh on your arms, even if just a little, then in hot weather and with natural movement your skin will come into contact with the bronze of the case, even with the steel case back, and it will produce green lines on the skin. These are easily wiped off but if this would annoy you then definitely avoid the bronze, if you are opting for the ceramic though then obviously this doesn't apply.

OK, that's all I can think of for now but please let me know if there's anything you'd like to know or if I can help in any way, including comparison pics as mentioned above.

Cheers.

Mark.

Last edited by thefatboy; 2nd August 2019 at 15:59.

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post

Thanks Mark for the amazing feedback and comparison pics!

I have feeble 6.5 inch wrists, and although they are bold watches, which is kind of the point, they don’t overhang

I love them both, and want them both, although I’m going to have to choose. I’ve posted so many times about the damn Monaco in the last 2 years, that I’m never going to settle unless I get one. It would also spare the forum my “should I, shouldn’t I” angst

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Mark for the amazing feedback and comparison pics!

I have feeble 6.5 inch wrists, and although they are bold watches, which is kind of the point, they don’t overhang

I love them both, and want them both, although I’m going to have to choose. I’ve posted so many times about the damn Monaco in the last 2 years, that I’m never going to settle unless I get one. It would also spare the forum my “should I, shouldn’t I” angst

Cheers

Dave
    Hi Dave,

They both have the stubby lugs, which really helps the overhang, I don’t think you’d be disappointed in whichever one you decided on but my thinking would be that if I was going to get one and then perhaps later pick up the other pre-owned then I’d say that the B&R will definitely be the better second hand buy!

The other thing is that, as you well know, the Monaco gets under your skin and that itch will always be there until it’s scratched! I love all my watches that I bought instead of a Monaco but, after every one, without fail I thought “...should have got the Monaco...” at some point.

Good luck with the decision!

Cheers.

Mark.

Sent from my back pocket without my knowledge

Master
    Buy the Monaco, look at that dial !
    And it’s the 50th anniversary too !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If it was my hard earned it would be the Monaco, it is simply a stone cold classic.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by thefatboy View Post

The other thing is that, as you well know, the Monaco gets under your skin and that itch will always be there until it’s scratched! I love all my watches that I bought instead of a Monaco but, after every one, without fail I thought “...should have got the Monaco...” at some point.
    Despite being a huge B&R fan, I think it will come down to this. SWMBO also thinks it’s beautiful, at least measured against the square B&R!

Dave

Mine says hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    Mine says hello!
    Stop that!

It looks incredible :)

Wow Artium, what is the model name/reference, that looks fantastic!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Wow Artium, what is the model name/reference, that looks fantastic!

BR03-02 diver

https://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/Bel...EaAmEEEALw_wcB

Thanks Skip, I will be sure to keep an eye out for B&R dealers in my travels so I can handle this model.

This thread has caught my eye.

I’ve had a long term hankering for a Bell & Ross that I’ve tried to stifle a bit as I’ve always believed them to be a bit...fashion watch over proper horology or craftsmanship.

I suppose the above is true to some extent but they look great. I’ll do it one day!

As a Monaco lover I would say get at least one,
    Maybe more there are many versions

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Master
    I really, really wanted to like the monaco, it's 50, I'm 50, the money was there, the accountant was nominally approving but when I tried it on it just didn't 'click' with me. If I don;t have an immediate connection with a watch, especially one that costs that much then I'm reluctant to take a punt.
    Of course, everyone is different and has their own preferences but sadly for me the monaco is now off my 'list'.
    I've never really felt much for B&R but that diver is rather nice looking but again I'd have to have one on my wrist before I made a decision.

Maybe it's a standard thing for wives to hate square watches, mine does too and also refers to them as ugly!

I love the Monaco but the B&R does nothing at all for me personally. Just my opinion but I can imagine tiring of the B&R where the Monaco has that proved timeless classic design which I think would make a much more likely keeper over the years.

On another note, I really do not like those extra wide B&R straps. Look how much more refined the Monaco looks with its more standard strap.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 5th August 2019 at 10:54.

Master
    Decent discount on a ceramic cased BR03 to be had here -

https://www.fraserhart.co.uk/bell-ro...al-men-s-watch

Master
    Jura have the B&R black ceramic diver listed at 15 percent off if anyone’s interested.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...92-d-bl-ce-srb