closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Watch boxes

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    31

    Watch boxes

    Having never bought a brand new watch I've never experienced unboxing one.

    What's the best watch box you've ever seen ? Surely the higher end stuff must have some impressive cases

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    1,093
    My Speedmaster Moonwatch was awesome, my Datejust 41 was a bit underwhelming. I really expected more than that from Rolex, not sure why as it's only a box - you'd hope they spend more on the watch than the packaging! Still... *wanders off muttering to himself*

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    My Speedmaster Moonwatch was awesome, my Datejust 41 was a bit underwhelming. I really expected more than that from Rolex, not sure why as it's only a box - you'd hope they spend more on the watch than the packaging! Still... *wanders off muttering to himself*
    Yep, the Moonwatch box is fantastic. Very nicely put together, if maybe just a bit OTT!

  4. #4
    I think few boxes are as large, OTT and impressive as the omega moon watch.

    The joinery on Patek wooden boxes is beautiful. Rolex is a bit bland as stated. Breitling is ok but very functional with a lovely leather travel case as the inner - personality I like this as its actually useful rather than ostentatious.


    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Yep, the Moonwatch box is fantastic. Very nicely put together, if maybe just a bit OTT!
    OTT is what it's all about! Gotta love a bit of theatre!

  6. #6
    Jacob & co do some really special boxes. Personal favourite is the astronomio

    https://youtu.be/bstyffD1YEQ

  7. #7
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    31
    Just seen this and got to agree it blows the Rolex box away https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYFP_f62DI

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    7,805
    Be grateful, my Habring2 came in a wooden pencil case.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    2,998
    The box for the Longines Legend Diver was pretty epic. It added a lot to the postage cost when selling it on.

    My favourite is the slim leather case my Bremont came in.

    Although it adds to the initial ďexperienceĒ, I find having to store these boxes after purchase a bit of a pain. They just sit unused gathering dust. I like what Oris is planning in regards to reducing its packaging.

    Dave

  10. #10
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    36,775
    With a Dornbluth you can put the watch in it's lovely box and use it as a desk clock . . .



  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,780
    Corum Bubble bats....

    The box was crazy


  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    708
    The urwerk amc watch box is pretty awesome...itís an atomic clock that sets the time of the watch!!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    451
    Panerai boxes are lovely, Pear wood treats .


    Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #14
    Craftsman Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    556
    Some of these are fantastic - that urwerk box wins for me!

    I've got to be honest though, theatre aside I'd much rather pay a couple of hundred pounds less and get the watch in a box like a Casio

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    394
    For me it was my breitling emergency, quite a large box with a testing unit for the emergency beacon, tools, handbook, etc.

    The only watch Iíve ever sold on with big regrets.

    I donít have a picture of mine but here is an example from the interweb:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    2,841
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    For me it was my breitling emergency, quite a large box with a testing unit for the emergency beacon, tools, handbook, etc.

    The only watch Iíve ever sold on with big regrets.

    I donít have a picture of mine but here is an example from the interweb:




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish I'd bought my Emergency Mission back when Findo400 re-sold it... was an incredible watch, and the box (briefcase) even included a VHS tape with a video about the watch on it !

  17. #17
    A mate of mine bought a Cuervo Y Sobrinos which came with a box that doubles as a humidor (as long as the watch isn't in there!).

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I think few boxes are as large, OTT and impressive as the omega moon watch.

    The joinery on Patek wooden boxes is beautiful. Rolex is a bit bland as stated. Breitling is ok but very functional with a lovely leather travel case as the inner - personality I like this as its actually useful rather than ostentatious.


    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    So much so, I'm tempted to turn mine into a humidor

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,450
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    So much so, I'm tempted to turn mine into a humidor
    Thatís a fantastic idea & would make a lovely humidor. Iíve got 2 in the house ongoing, and one Iím sorting out for a friend.

    If Iíd known back then Iíd have had more cigars than I knew what to do with, Iíd have gone for a properly large unit rather than 2 x 50 cigar ones.

    Love the idea of a watchbox humidor though, however no watch box I have is suitable. Not sure how much my Tudor boxes will hold, or even if they will fit a robusto in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,742
    This unboxing was a pinnacle for me:





    No. 1




    A mystery key...








    More personal touches...




    Get that lid off!










    At last!




    Spring bars neatly squirrelled away inside the custom tool.




  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    394
    OMG that is an epic themed watch box, they must have had a project team just dedicated to creating it. Makes you wonder how much some of these boxes cost to design and build.

    For a luxury watch itís still likely to be a very small percentage of overall costs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,742
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    OMG that is an epic themed watch box, they must have had a project team just dedicated to creating it.
    Youíd think that, but no. One man operation.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

  23. #23
    Anyone else now Googling "Mk3 Scramble" and eyeing up what to sell to be able to buy one?

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    394
    I actually looked the watch up, the FAQ states all versions of the scramble model are sold out, good for him. Would need to see one to fully evaluate.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    dunfermline fife
    Posts
    930
    I did and was disappointed to find no watches available, no info on how much they had been or if any others will be available.

  26. #26
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Doncaster
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    This unboxing was a pinnacle for me:





    No. 1




    A mystery key...








    More personal touches...




    Get that lid off!










    At last!




    Spring bars neatly squirrelled away inside the custom tool.




    Lovely idea and a great looking watch.

  27. #27
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I did and was disappointed to find no watches available, no info on how much they had been or if any others will be available.
    Carl's packaging is legendary.

    He says that he's not going to be making any more watches. I think that he nailed it with the Scramble and is quitting on a high. His straps and other products are excellent.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    Jacob & co do some really special boxes. Personal favourite is the astronomio

    https://youtu.be/bstyffD1YEQ

    Wow - that is something else!

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    171
    Very nicely done , youíd think a big brand name would try and snap Carl up ?



    QUOTE=Latza;5162002]Lovely idea and a great looking watch.[/QUOTE]

  30. #30
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Chesham, Bucks
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    My Speedmaster Moonwatch was awesome
    Whereas it actually peed me off. I was toying with the idea of buying one a few years back when they were c £2,000. Then they decided to do the "added value" thing since they couldn't really do anything at all with the watch, and bumped the retail up by £700-800 just for an oversized cardboard box, a lupe and a nato strap.

    I've kept all the crap for possible resale but it was the watch I wanted, not the marketing departments hype.

  31. #31
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    13,742
    Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    Very nicely done , youíd think a big brand name would try and snap Carl up ?
    He does some strap work for Bremont (including the unique red stitch Martin Baker strap which along with the MB1 is only available to ejectees) and a couple of others but he's an independent at heart.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thatís a fantastic idea & would make a lovely humidor. Iíve got 2 in the house ongoing, and one Iím sorting out for a friend.

    If Iíd known back then Iíd have had more cigars than I knew what to do with, Iíd have gone for a properly large unit rather than 2 x 50 cigar ones.

    Love the idea of a watchbox humidor though, however no watch box I have is suitable. Not sure how much my Tudor boxes will hold, or even if they will fit a robusto in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know what you mean, I had a 50 box, now Iím up to a 240, as a 10 space is used up by a fully automatic humidifier. Seems to work ok as I have some choice Montecristos from Ď94 and 2000, Cohibas, Punch, etc, but my favourite short smoke is a San Cristobal.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Whereas it actually peed me off. I was toying with the idea of buying one a few years back when they were c £2,000. Then they decided to do the "added value" thing since they couldn't really do anything at all with the watch, and bumped the retail up by £700-800 just for an oversized cardboard box, a lupe and a nato strap.

    I've kept all the crap for possible resale but it was the watch I wanted, not the marketing departments hype.
    Just to prove this, I very nearly forked out £140 for a NATO strap for mine, until I saw someone's comment on here that they came with it now in the box.

    Dug my box out of the loft, lo and behold, a NATO strap. And a velcro one that I'd already bought again. FFS.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    1,093
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Whereas it actually peed me off. I was toying with the idea of buying one a few years back when they were c £2,000. Then they decided to do the "added value" thing since they couldn't really do anything at all with the watch, and bumped the retail up by £700-800 just for an oversized cardboard box, a lupe and a nato strap.

    I've kept all the crap for possible resale but it was the watch I wanted, not the marketing departments hype.
    In retrospect I'm coming to agree with you, the box is a huge lump of a thing when it's not in use, ie all the time since I got back from the AD. the unboxing is where I like my dramatic ta-da moment & it delivered then. Subsequently, not so much.
    The Rolex box was never exciting at any stage, strictly a container. I expected more than that because, well, Rolex, but I didn't get it.
    Mind you, the buzz from the DJ is immense, even as we approach the 3 month point.

  35. #35
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,582
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    The urwerk amc watch box is pretty awesome...itís an atomic clock that sets the time of the watch!!

    Wow. I don't usually use the word "awesome" but you're right, that is awesome.

  36. #36

    Watch boxes

    With regards to the Speedmaster box and itís size you can always do something like this with it!






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    120
    Was the internal custom made & glued on? Or did you buy a watch box and shifted the insides from it to the speedie box?
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    With regards to the Speedmaster box and itís size you can always do something like this with it!






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information