closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch boxes

Journeyman

Watch boxes

Having never bought a brand new watch I've never experienced unboxing one.

What's the best watch box you've ever seen ? Surely the higher end stuff must have some impressive cases

Master
    My Speedmaster Moonwatch was awesome, my Datejust 41 was a bit underwhelming. I really expected more than that from Rolex, not sure why as it's only a box - you'd hope they spend more on the watch than the packaging! Still... *wanders off muttering to himself*

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    My Speedmaster Moonwatch was awesome, my Datejust 41 was a bit underwhelming. I really expected more than that from Rolex, not sure why as it's only a box - you'd hope they spend more on the watch than the packaging! Still... *wanders off muttering to himself*
    Yep, the Moonwatch box is fantastic. Very nicely put together, if maybe just a bit OTT!

I think few boxes are as large, OTT and impressive as the omega moon watch.

The joinery on Patek wooden boxes is beautiful. Rolex is a bit bland as stated. Breitling is ok but very functional with a lovely leather travel case as the inner - personality I like this as its actually useful rather than ostentatious.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaEchoAlpha View Post
    Yep, the Moonwatch box is fantastic. Very nicely put together, if maybe just a bit OTT!
    OTT is what it's all about! Gotta love a bit of theatre!

Jacob & co do some really special boxes. Personal favourite is the astronomio

https://youtu.be/bstyffD1YEQ

Journeyman
    Just seen this and got to agree it blows the Rolex box away https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHYFP_f62DI

Master
    Be grateful, my Habring2 came in a wooden pencil case.

Master
    The box for the Longines Legend Diver was pretty epic. It added a lot to the postage cost when selling it on.

My favourite is the slim leather case my Bremont came in.

Although it adds to the initial “experience”, I find having to store these boxes after purchase a bit of a pain. They just sit unused gathering dust. I like what Oris is planning in regards to reducing its packaging.

Dave

With a Dornbluth you can put the watch in it's lovely box and use it as a desk clock . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Corum Bubble bats....

The box was crazy

Craftsman
    The urwerk amc watch box is pretty awesome...it’s an atomic clock that sets the time of the watch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Panerai boxes are lovely, Pear wood treats .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Some of these are fantastic - that urwerk box wins for me!

I've got to be honest though, theatre aside I'd much rather pay a couple of hundred pounds less and get the watch in a box like a Casio

Craftsman
    For me it was my breitling emergency, quite a large box with a testing unit for the emergency beacon, tools, handbook, etc.

The only watch I’ve ever sold on with big regrets.

I don’t have a picture of mine but here is an example from the interweb:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    For me it was my breitling emergency, quite a large box with a testing unit for the emergency beacon, tools, handbook, etc.

The only watch I’ve ever sold on with big regrets.

I don’t have a picture of mine but here is an example from the interweb:

I wish I'd bought my Emergency Mission back when Findo400 re-sold it... was an incredible watch, and the box (briefcase) even included a VHS tape with a video about the watch on it !

A mate of mine bought a Cuervo Y Sobrinos which came with a box that doubles as a humidor (as long as the watch isn't in there!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    I think few boxes are as large, OTT and impressive as the omega moon watch.

The joinery on Patek wooden boxes is beautiful. Rolex is a bit bland as stated. Breitling is ok but very functional with a lovely leather travel case as the inner - personality I like this as its actually useful rather than ostentatious.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    So much so, I'm tempted to turn mine into a humidor

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    So much so, I'm tempted to turn mine into a humidor
    That’s a fantastic idea & would make a lovely humidor. I’ve got 2 in the house ongoing, and one I’m sorting out for a friend.

If I’d known back then I’d have had more cigars than I knew what to do with, I’d have gone for a properly large unit rather than 2 x 50 cigar ones.

Love the idea of a watchbox humidor though, however no watch box I have is suitable. Not sure how much my Tudor boxes will hold, or even if they will fit a robusto in.

This unboxing was a pinnacle for me:

No. 1

A mystery key...

More personal touches...

Get that lid off!

At last!

Spring bars neatly squirrelled away inside the custom tool.

Craftsman
    OMG that is an epic themed watch box, they must have had a project team just dedicated to creating it. Makes you wonder how much some of these boxes cost to design and build.

For a luxury watch it’s still likely to be a very small percentage of overall costs.

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    OMG that is an epic themed watch box, they must have had a project team just dedicated to creating it.
    You’d think that, but no. One man operation.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Anyone else now Googling "Mk3 Scramble" and eyeing up what to sell to be able to buy one?

Craftsman
    I actually looked the watch up, the FAQ states all versions of the scramble model are sold out, good for him. Would need to see one to fully evaluate.

Master
    I did and was disappointed to find no watches available, no info on how much they had been or if any others will be available.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    This unboxing was a pinnacle for me:

No. 1

A mystery key...

More personal touches...

Get that lid off!

At last!

Spring bars neatly squirrelled away inside the custom tool.

Lovely idea and a great looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I did and was disappointed to find no watches available, no info on how much they had been or if any others will be available.
    Carl's packaging is legendary.

He says that he's not going to be making any more watches. I think that he nailed it with the Scramble and is quitting on a high. His straps and other products are excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    Jacob & co do some really special boxes. Personal favourite is the astronomio

https://youtu.be/bstyffD1YEQ

Wow - that is something else!

Journeyman
    Very nicely done , you’d think a big brand name would try and snap Carl up ?

QUOTE=Latza;5162002]Lovely idea and a great looking watch.[/QUOTE]

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    My Speedmaster Moonwatch was awesome
    Whereas it actually peed me off. I was toying with the idea of buying one a few years back when they were c £2,000. Then they decided to do the "added value" thing since they couldn't really do anything at all with the watch, and bumped the retail up by £700-800 just for an oversized cardboard box, a lupe and a nato strap.

I've kept all the crap for possible resale but it was the watch I wanted, not the marketing departments hype.

Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    Very nicely done , you’d think a big brand name would try and snap Carl up ?
    He does some strap work for Bremont (including the unique red stitch Martin Baker strap which along with the MB1 is only available to ejectees) and a couple of others but he's an independent at heart.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That’s a fantastic idea & would make a lovely humidor. I’ve got 2 in the house ongoing, and one I’m sorting out for a friend.

If I’d known back then I’d have had more cigars than I knew what to do with, I’d have gone for a properly large unit rather than 2 x 50 cigar ones.

Love the idea of a watchbox humidor though, however no watch box I have is suitable. Not sure how much my Tudor boxes will hold, or even if they will fit a robusto in.

I know what you mean, I had a 50 box, now I’m up to a 240, as a 10 space is used up by a fully automatic humidifier. Seems to work ok as I have some choice Montecristos from ‘94 and 2000, Cohibas, Punch, etc, but my favourite short smoke is a San Cristobal.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Whereas it actually peed me off. I was toying with the idea of buying one a few years back when they were c £2,000. Then they decided to do the "added value" thing since they couldn't really do anything at all with the watch, and bumped the retail up by £700-800 just for an oversized cardboard box, a lupe and a nato strap.

I've kept all the crap for possible resale but it was the watch I wanted, not the marketing departments hype.
    Just to prove this, I very nearly forked out £140 for a NATO strap for mine, until I saw someone's comment on here that they came with it now in the box.

Dug my box out of the loft, lo and behold, a NATO strap. And a velcro one that I'd already bought again. FFS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post

In retrospect I'm coming to agree with you, the box is a huge lump of a thing when it's not in use, ie all the time since I got back from the AD. the unboxing is where I like my dramatic ta-da moment & it delivered then. Subsequently, not so much.
    The Rolex box was never exciting at any stage, strictly a container. I expected more than that because, well, Rolex, but I didn't get it.
    Mind you, the buzz from the DJ is immense, even as we approach the 3 month point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    The urwerk amc watch box is pretty awesome...it’s an atomic clock that sets the time of the watch!!

Wow. I don't usually use the word "awesome" but you're right, that is awesome.

Watch boxes

With regards to the Speedmaster box and it’s size you can always do something like this with it!

Journeyman
    Was the internal custom made & glued on? Or did you buy a watch box and shifted the insides from it to the speedie box?
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    With regards to the Speedmaster box and it’s size you can always do something like this with it!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app