closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lake District ideas please

Craftsman

Lake District ideas please

Were off to the Lake District in a couple of weeks and never been before. Bit of a last minute trip going Friday ~ Monday and staying on the east-side of Windermere in a Glamping Pod. Am sure there are far better places to visit than where we are but it's all we could get at such late notice (basically we had booked to go to Germany but couldn't get in any kennels in time, hence the last minute UK trip).

Can anyone give some ideas of the 'must' things to do and see please? Some good pubs (with real ale) and restaurants are a must too please.

There's the two of us and our dog so looking to do a bit of walking and exploring. Watersports are likely out of the question as the weather is probably going to pi$$ it down looking at the long-range forecast :(

Happy to drive places if needed as we are taking the car.

PS - am interested in a bit of fishing whilst I'm there but Lake Windermere looks very daunting, and I have visions of sitting there all day without a bite !

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Were off to the Lake District in a couple of weeks and never been before. Bit of a last minute trip going Friday ~ Monday and staying on the east-side of Windermere in a Glamping Pod. Am sure there are far better places to visit than where we are but it's all we could get at such late notice (basically we had booked to go to Germany but couldn't get in any kennels in time, hence the last minute UK trip).

Can anyone give some ideas of the 'must' things to do and see please? Some good pubs (with real ale) and restaurants are a must too please.

There's the two of us and our dog so looking to do a bit of walking and exploring. Watersports are likely out of the question as the weather is probably going to pi$$ it down looking at the long-range forecast :(

Happy to drive places if needed as we are taking the car.

PS - am interested in a bit of fishing whilst I'm there but Lake Windermere looks very daunting, and I have visions of sitting there all day without a bite !

ok Pub = Wainwrights in Langdales, great food, great walk along river and they welcome dogs indoors

travel to South of lake Windermere and just before you get to Newby Bridge there is a national park .....Fell Foot nice place to spend the day

Craftsman
    Watersports are absolutely fine as you will be wetsuited up if using a reputable company. We went last year and the weather was mixed but kayaking and paddle boarding was fine in the rain.

I thoroughly recommend ghyll scrambling if you get the chance.

The above activities may preclude having the dog with you though.

Take a drive up Kirkstone Pass.

Definitely visit Keswick for at least a day.

The drive between Windermere and Keswick is beautiful and you could stop anywhere along the way for stunning views.

Walk Catbells (or Walla Crag or Latrigg) from Keswick - maybe on a second day.

Castlerigg stones near Keswick is nice if weather is nice.

Stop in Grasmere to buy some gingerbread (I’d do that on the way to Keswick but you could spend half a day in Grasmere if you like pottering).

Unfortunately the southern lakes will be completely rammed with people at this time of year as the kids are on their hols, so it will probably 'take the edge' off the stunning natural beauty of the area.

Take your waterproofs
    Take you walking boots
    Get out there and find yourself some space and soak up the views!

Hard knot/Wrynose pass are amazing if narrow drives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Always liked The Old Dungeon Ghyll in Great Langdale

Journeyman
    Who's going ? Couple or kids?

Journeyman
    Just re read. There's a lovely walk from langdale up stickle tarn. Not to advanced and could be tackled with a dog. Defiantly worth a look

Master
    Blog Entries
    Grasmere and Ambleside are great, very close to each other.

Craftsman
    One of my favourite walks was up to Haystacks, as said before Catbells and Maiden Moor is a good walk, also like the views over Ullswater from Hallin Fell they are great and an easy walk sometimes you can watch the military jets fly past seemingly lower than what you are . We also liked heading up to Ashness bridge and on to Watendlath ( I think there is fishing available up there )

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post

Stop in Grasmere to buy some gingerbread (I’d do that on the way to Keswick but you could spend half a day in Grasmere if you like pottering).
    Grasmere is lovely, but the gingerbread shop is well worth the trip alone

Holker Hall.

Craftsman
    Ravenglass and Eskdale railway is worth a look

Craftsman
    The Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank is one of my favourite pubs in the Lakes. Good food too.

Walks-

Helvellyn and Striding Edge
    Halls Fell Ridge Blencathra (and Sharp Edge if you have a head for heights)

Scarfell Pike is a bit of a drive round round to get to Wasdale Head and the walk is a bit dull unless you go Mickledore route.
    Last edited by Christian; 30th July 2019 at 22:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Hard knot/Wrynose pass are amazing if narrow drives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you’re going over there, Wastwater is a must.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Walks-

Helvellyn and Striding Edge
    Halls Fell Ridge Blencathra (and Sharp Edge if you have a head for heights)

Scarfell Pike is a bit of a drive round round to get to Wasdale Head and the walk is a bit dull unless you go Mickledore route.
    Helvellyn...left its mark.

I’m actually in the Lakes at the moment and if you are only here for a long weekend you probably don’t want to go too far from where you are staying .... so some of the ideas here are probably a bit of a stretch. I also wouldn’t advise Helvellyn via striding edge if you are not an experienced fell walker !

In terms of good food/pubs that are dog friendly and some other ideas close to where you are staying:-

Chesters by the River - superb dog friendly daytime eating place.
    The Drunken Duck - gastro pub/restaurant - was there last night. Always a few dogs in the bar
    Windermere Steamboat museum - just opened this year - about £9 to get in and make sure you get there for the 11am talk on boat conservation which takes place in front of the restoration workshop
    Bike hire/electric bikes - a few places but the outlet that is on Windermere train station is good
    Kankku - not cheap but the best 4x4 off roading I’ve ever done. Makes the Land Rover Experience seem tame !
    Zeffirelli’s in Ambleside - movie and meal deal excellent value

Walks that give great views for not much effort:-
    Orrest Head from opposite Windermere station
    Wansfell - Ambleside to Troutbeck route ending with a pint or two at the Mortal Man
    Loughrigg Fell from Ambleside
    Easedale Tarn from grasmere

Plenty of shops will sell you simple walking guides to these routes - all about 3 hours

If you have any particular likes/dislikes just PM me and I can give you more specifics

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just re-read the OP’s post - for fishing you can go Trout Fishing on Esthwaite water which isn’t too far away .... just google it and you will get to the one company that does it

Water sports can and are done in all weathers. Again, close to you is Low Wood which is the place to do this. From paddle boarding to sailing lessons they do it all. But book ahead !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I also wouldn’t advise Helvellyn via striding edge if you are not an experienced fell walker !

Agreed..its tough and a bit dodgy in places people have fallen up there and been seriously injured or worse.

Park at Tilberthwaite and walk to Little Langdale for lunch in the Three Shires Inn. You can take a look in the old mines in Hodge Close en route.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Drive over to Keswick have a look around then ferry over to Cat Bells and have a nice easy walk to the top for a fantastic view.

Don't do Sharp Edge on Blencathra unless you know exactly what your doing.

This place also makes a great day out: https://www.southlakessafarizoo.com

Master
    The thing I love about the Lake District is that everyone is kidding themselves and everyone else knows that we are all kidding ourselves.

You drive up and unpack your bags in a good hotel slap bang in the centre of the hills. Everyone comes down in tweeds, walking boots and Barbours. We all walk up the street, do a bit of shopping and continue walking up and down the streets soaking up the atmosphere.

Next day, have a good hearty breakfast and drive off somewhere twenty miles up the road. Get out of the car dressed in the same walking gear and go for a walk up and down the street of another town looking for local foods and various knick - knacks. Have a good pub lunch, ask the bar man where's the best walk and assuming you are on the wrong side of fifty, he will direct you to a circular route which a kid of ten could navigate and is only about five miles in total. You of course have your walking stick, Wainwright guide, water bottle etc and return back to the pub feeling like you are David Livingstone making his first discovery.

You return back to the hotel and partake of a good dinner and when in the bar you regale with other guest what a wonderful time you are having discovering all the lakes and getting lots of exercise. We have all done what it took Wainwright thirteen years to do and we all loved it.

Kidology at it's best.

Master
    ^ Tres amusing, Mick. Of course it comes as no surprise that this is your rather dreary personal experience of the Lake District.

The Lake District is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. I love it. I even got married there (despite us both being southern softies). Some of the hiking is second to none and well worth braving the rain and wind for. It really is worth heading to Scafell Pike if you’re feeling energetic and have a whole day to burn (and the weather isn’t too foul). It’s a long, rocky hike but if the clouds clear even for a minute at the top it’s worth every second of legburn. We’ve been up via Great Langdale and Wasdale (the latter being a bit easier if I remember correctly).

We usually stay in Windermere but enjoyed Keswick too. Loads of decent pubs and restaurants in both. I haven’t been for a couple of years and your thread has got me thinking about another trip soon. Have a great time!

Master
    My trips to the Lakes are not dreary as you put it, but in fact, very enjoyable.

What I was doing was taking the mick out of myself and hundreds of thousand of people who do precisely what I do.

At the age of seventy, my days of going for long walks up steep hills in the middle of nowhere are sadly over. For instance, if you trip over, you will swear and curse, get up, dust yourself off and simply carry on walking. If an average 70 year old trips over, it will be bloody painful and can easily result in breaking a bone, so you change you lifestyle to suit.

I really wish me and the wife could do a 50 mile hike, but we cant, so we do what I described in my first posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The thing I love about the Lake District is that everyone is kidding themselves and everyone else knows that we are all kidding ourselves.

You drive up and unpack your bags in a good hotel slap bang in the centre of the hills. Everyone comes down in tweeds, walking boots and Barbours. We all walk up the street, do a bit of shopping and continue walking up and down the streets soaking up the atmosphere.

Next day, have a good hearty breakfast and drive off somewhere twenty miles up the road. Get out of the car dressed in the same walking gear and go for a walk up and down the street of another town looking for local foods and various knick - knacks. Have a good pub lunch, ask the bar man where's the best walk and assuming you are on the wrong side of fifty, he will direct you to a circular route which a kid of ten could navigate and is only about five miles in total. You of course have your walking stick, Wainwright guide, water bottle etc and return back to the pub feeling like you are David Livingstone making his first discovery.

You return back to the hotel and partake of a good dinner and when in the bar you regale with other guest what a wonderful time you are having discovering all the lakes and getting lots of exercise. We have all done what it took Wainwright thirteen years to do and we all loved it.

Kidology at it's best.
    You forgot to mention the obligatory ice cream at the car park before the 'hike' too.

Watersports, as we tell people coming along to the centre to have a go, the clue is in the name, it involves water and you're going to get wet by the end one way or the other, guaranteed if you are paddleboarding or wind surfing. .... It's all part of the fun.

Craftsman
    Apologies, I thought I had replied to this.

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts on what to do / where to go. We're going to pull a plan together tonight and go from there.

We are by no means experienced walkers but will be spending as much time outdoors with the dog mooching about places / walking to the pub.

Certainly some food for though and lots of differing things to do judging by this thread. Lets hope the weather holds up !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Apologies, I thought I had replied to this.

Thanks for all the ideas and thoughts on what to do / where to go. We're going to pull a plan together tonight and go from there.

We are by no means experienced walkers but will be spending as much time outdoors with the dog mooching about places / walking to the pub.

Certainly some food for though and lots of differing things to do judging by this thread. Lets hope the weather holds up !
    Coniston old man is a good one to do...nice views and not a massively taxing or dangerous walk

Ullswater is a lovely part of the lakes, you can take a steamer along the length of the lake. One of the stops is at Howtown where there is a wonderful hotel called The Howtown which does amazing scones etc. Sharrow bay hotel is also on the lakeside if you fancy something posher, they wont take kindly to you turning up in hiking kit though! Rheged centre which is just outside Penrith is a great place with plenty to do, though it can get busy in summer. Enjoy wherever you go, you can really go wrong with the lakes.
    J

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Take a drive up Kirkstone Pass.

Definitely visit Keswick for at least a day.

The drive between Windermere and Keswick is beautiful and you could stop anywhere along the way for stunning views.

Walk Catbells (or Walla Crag or Latrigg) from Keswick - maybe on a second day.

Castlerigg stones near Keswick is nice if weather is nice.

I'll second your post.
    My favourite pub though is The Mortal Man in Troutbeck