closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House new build —Professional Snagging Companies

Master

House new build —Professional Snagging Companies

Just though I would tap the collective’s knowledge on professional snagging companies. We are planning to move to a new build on a local Redrow site. Chatting to an existing home owner who had recently moved in, they mentioned snagging issues and said they wish they had engaged a professional snagger!

I didn't know such a job existed, a quick google shows a number of companies and scope of work. Has anyone used a particular firm and had good service? Secondly how receptive are the house builders to the survey and following up on the actions , which I understand can run into hundreds of snags.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I would think a building surveyor would be your best port of call.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I would think a building surveyor would be your best port of call.
    This.

Once that survey is done then it should be presented to the original builder for them to attend to any remedial work required.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Thanks gents, I will look up some names 👍

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Thanks gents, I will look up some names 
    Make sure it's a building, and not a general practice surveyor

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think there was another thread on this recently with advice on doing it yourself or using a professional snagger to list and liaise with the builder on your behalf.

Many new homes are riddled with snags - especially the big companies. I'm not convinced you need to pay someone to take on this task (as opposed to any requirement for a building survey - and some 'snags' can be significant) but a number of people on the estate where I live used a professional snagger and were happy with the results.

Also bear in mind that some snags only become apparent after a while.

ATB

Jon

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

they mentioned snagging issues and said they wish they had engaged a professional snagger!

I didn't know such a job existed
    A mother-in-law would do the job just as effectively.

Master
    There was a Channel 4 Dispatches only on this month about the very same thing. They got a professional snagger into a new build and he found 295 faults. I can’t find the full program but here’s a link to a clip. Episode 19 I believe.

https://hoa.org.uk/2019/07/dispatche...build-scandal/

they mentioned snagging issues and said they wish they had engaged a professional snagger!

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A mother-in-law would do the job just as effectively.
    He wants a snagger, not a nagger.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    He wants a snagger, not a nagger.....
    But she would assist in getting the work done.

Master
    You don't need a building surveyor for a snag list do it yourself and save the money.

Be aware whatever snag list you have will take two years to remedy, they are a disgrace at putting right snags.

Log Everything - paintwork, skirting corking, fictures ( sockets, lights, ) gaps in door frames, windows etc etc.

Jut walk round every room with a pad and list everything you see.

Itemise it with the most pressing issues first then be an absolute headache to your redrow contact and actively pressure the foreman on site to remedy the works.

Oh and another thing is your grass, it will 100% die within a couple of months so tell them its laid incorrectly and laid on shite !

If you do it yourself there are various Excel Spreadsheet templates you can download, search for them on Google.

If you created your own keep a spreadsheet include Room, snag, date recorded, estimated resolution date, resolved/unresolved. Then keep it up-to-date and at regular intervals email it to your Redrow rep, asking for updates on each item. A professional won't do anything special, they'll just document everything and keep on top of communications.

With all these horror stories and two years to complete repairs (!) makes you wonder why anyone would buy a new house.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    You don't need a building surveyor for a snag list do it yourself and save the money.
    Specifically referencing the Dispatches programme mentioned here, a professional might also pick up on things that you might not know about or might not see (such as correct use/application of fire doors and appropriate cavity insulation)

Anyone tried a retainer or snagger access before completion?

I would I suggest you get an inspection and snag list post contact and before completion - then hold completion until rectified.

Obviously this needs to be baked into the contact before exchange, and no doubt would be met with resistance...

If they then don't rectify before completion they owe you the contract rate interest compensation for delaying completion....

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post

I would I suggest you get an inspection and snag list post contact and before completion - then hold completion until rectified.

Obviously this needs to be baked into the contact before exchange, and no doubt would be met with resistance...

If they then don't rectify before completion they owe you the contract rate interest compensation for delaying completion....

I suspect the builder would resist letting a 3rd party onto a site that's under their control, especially if it's to find fault

Master
    Still available for 15 days on channel 4 catch up...

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...mand/70109-001

Master

This is what the professional snagger companies suggest. Reason being there is no one in the house so multi trades can adddress the o/s issues. Plus you still are holding onto a lump of cash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    There was a Channel 4 Dispatches only on this month about the very same thing. They got a professional snagger into a new build and he found 295 faults. I can’t find the full program but here’s a link to a clip. Episode 19 I believe.

https://hoa.org.uk/2019/07/dispatche...build-scandal/
    Oiljam that was , well, harrowing! But informative. Thanks for that.

Steve

You wouldn't buy any other property without a survey being completed before contact/ completion.

I wouldn't expect a new build to be any different. If a developer/ builder resisted then that would be a massive red flag to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    I suspect the builder would resist letting a 3rd party onto a site that's under their control, especially if it's to find fault

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

House new build —Professional Snagging Companies

I would suggest that you snag a building before departing with any significant money, therefore there is an incentive for the builder to remedy the defects found to your satisfaction.

Remember you only get one chance to snag a building before occupation, therefore make sure it’s a comprehensive list with supporting photo.

Finally, if it covers a NHBC warranty, there are guidelines that should be adopted.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCpublicatio...d,42392,en.pdf

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCpublicatio...d,15912,en.pdf

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 30th July 2019 at 21:55.

You wouldn't buy any other property without a survey being completed before contact/ completion.

I wouldn't expect a new build to be any different. If a developer/ be uilder resisted then that would be a massive red flag to me.

New builds are a bit different in so much as they need to be signed off by NHBC and are covered by a 10 year warranty.

Agree, but in my experience the warranty is how new build developers get away with rushing, poor quality work and not finishing things correctly.
    It should really be for correcting latent faults and developing issues rather than to bring the standard up to what it should have been to start with.

Blog Entries
    Moved into a new build March 2018 and apart from a few very minor things so far all good but if you can buy the builder ours was a small local company with a good reputation and looking at some of the builds in my area by the bigger boys
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Moved into a new build March 2018 and apart from a few very minor things so far all good but if you can buy the builder ours was a small local company with a good reputation and looking at some of the builds in my area by the bigger boys
    I think you are probably right there Mart.
    Cheers,
    Neil.