closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Service

Journeyman

Omega Service

My mate took his Aqua Terra to Chisholm Hunter in Edinburgh and requested that his watch be sent to Omega for a service. The price from the omega webpage was quoted as a marker and he was quite happy.
    On getting it back there was no service card and it transpired that it had been serviced by an independent. Needless to say my mate was not happy and explained that he asked for an Omega service to obtain the warranty card.
    So the watch was then sent to Omega. However on going to pick it up on Sunday there again was no card. As you can imagine he had a few choice words with them.

They however have stated that Omega only supply a warranty card if requested and they will get one sorted for him.

It was my understanding that the card was always supplied for a service or have things changed?

Richy

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    My mate took his Aqua Terra to Chisholm Hunter in Edinburgh and requested that his watch be sent to Omega for a service. The price from the omega webpage was quoted as a marker and he was quite happy.
    On getting it back there was no service card and it transpired that it had been serviced by an independent. Needless to say my mate was not happy and explained that he asked for an Omega service to obtain the warranty card.
    So the watch was then sent to Omega. However on going to pick it up on Sunday there again was no card. As you can imagine he had a few choice words with them.

They however have stated that Omega only supply a warranty card if requested and they will get one sorted for him.

It was my understanding that the card was always supplied for a service or have things changed?

Richy
    Hi Richy, I have my Speedy day/date in for a service with Omega (I hope) via Beards in Cheltenham, should be back any day now and I will let you know what I receive. The fixed price quoted to me was £595 and I am curious if your mate had the same rate...
    T

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    Hi Richy, I have my Speedy day/date in for a service with Omega (I hope) via Beards in Cheltenham, should be back any day now and I will let you know what I receive. The fixed price quoted to me was £595 and I am curious if your mate had the same rate...
    T
    Tim,
    His quote was the lower one , there are two listed on Omega website, the chrono’s are more expensive. He did have to pay a bit more though as it needed something sorted.

Let me know how you get on.

Richy

Tim,
    His quote was the lower one , there are two listed on Omega website, the chrono’s are more expensive. He did have to pay a bit more though as it needed something sorted.

Let me know how you get on.

Richy
    Ah, yes, my apologies I'd forgot about the additional costs of the chrono. Funny how they always need something extra doing.....Lord alone knows why but mine 'needs' a new crystal !

Master
    I’ve had my wife’s watch serviced at Omega via the boutique in Royal Exchange and when it’s been returned I’m pretty sure there was no “card” as such. It does come back with a few bits of Omega paperwork and all the old parts which I would expect should be the same no matter who sends it on to Omega.
    Either way, bad darts to have it serviced at an independent if he had specifically asked to the watch to go back to Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    I’ve had my wife’s watch serviced at Omega via the boutique in Royal Exchange and when it’s been returned I’m pretty sure there was no “card” as such. It does come back with a few bits of Omega paperwork and all the old parts which I would expect should be the same no matter who sends it on to Omega.
    Either way, bad darts to have it serviced at an independent if he had specifically asked to the watch to go back to Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah had a few responses that have said they only got a headed letter/receipt. I know they used to supply a white card similar to the red cards with warranty dates etc. Can only assume this has stopped.

Got mine back from a service in Feb. No card.

Master
    I had a Planet Ocean serviced at the Southampton Service Centre last year. No card just letter on headed notepaper verifying two year warranty.

Journeyman
    Cheers guys, looks like the service card is gone. Such a shame as it could be kept with other cards nicely. Clearly money saving.

Master
    To confirm, no card is sent with service.

Journeyman

UPDATE

My mate has received his watch back, and after complaining he has received a service card. CH (AD) have stated that you only get the card if you request it ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for pointing that out. Had mine done in 2012 and 2018, neither time came with a card. Will try and remember for next time.

Grand Master
    Cheers guys, looks like the service card is gone. Such a shame as it could be kept with other cards nicely. Clearly money saving.
    Sorry, can’t understand the problem. Provided you get paperwork indicating that the watch has been serviced (and by whom) I don’t see any value of getting a card! I would be more concerned about knowing exactly what’s been done to the watch.

Might not make sense but it matters to OP and his mate and presumably others too. As buyers, given a choice, they would thus prefer to buy one with the card. Greater demand so will sell at a premium.

My AT was serviced in April and received an Omega service card:

Grand Master
    I’m surprised at the inconsistency regarding the cards, but the supporting paperwork should be sufficient to avoid ambiguity if selling.

One thing that would be helpful is a clear description, with part numbers, of what parts have been replaced. Probably wouldn’t mean much to most owners but could be helpful if selling to trade or selling to someone like me. I always state clearly what’s been replaced, makes sense to do so. Traditionally there is a Swiss convention for numbering watch parts, a spring barrel is always part 1200 for example, but in recent years this gas been superseded for reason I’ve never understood.

Sometimes the service centres don’t like customers knowing exactly what has been changed, this also happens with cars when uprated/ modified parts are fitted by main dealers, manufacturers don’t like admitting they got the original design/ spec slightly(or very) wrong. It’s gone on for many years, in the days when Omega were very helpful to the repair trade this info was made readily available.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sorry, can’t understand the problem. Provided you get paperwork indicating that the watch has been serviced (and by whom) I don’t see any value of getting a card! I would be more concerned about knowing exactly what’s been done to the watch.
    Fits nicely with the other cards in the holder, but I do appreciate your point that the paperwork may suffice for some. I however have an Omega which I will be getting serviced shortly. This came with no cards, so too me having the service card would be more attractive. Just a personal choice.

Richy

Master
    I cannot recall getting a service card when my Seamaster was serviced last year. It would have been nice to have one though to go with the rest of the paperwork.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m surprised at the inconsistency regarding the cards, but the supporting paperwork should be sufficient to avoid ambiguity if selling.

Sometimes the service centres don’t like customers knowing exactly what has been changed, this also happens with cars when uprated/ modified parts are fitted by main dealers, manufacturers don’t like admitting they got the original design/ spec slightly(or very) wrong. It’s gone on for many years, in the days when Omega were very helpful to the repair trade this info was made readily available.
    I would prefer to have a plastic card than an A4 sheet of paper as easier and neater to store.

It is clear what Omega has changed at service - they send the bits back in a little bag! If I ever sell my Omega it’ll come with all those parts.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I would prefer to have a plastic card than an A4 sheet of paper as easier and neater to store.

It is clear what Omega has changed at service - they send the bits back in a little bag! If I ever sell my Omega it’ll come with all those parts.
    They don’t send all the parts, I’ve yet to see a mainspring returned, or a mainspring barrel, but these will get replaced as a matter of course. Hands, crowns and pendant tubes are easy to identify, so are the caseback seals etc, but unless you know what you’re looking at the other bits don’t mean much. Even for someone like myself it woukd be easier to have the parts listed on the invoice.

It’s rumoured that Omega change escapement parts when servicing co- axial movements, something that doesn’t happen routinely with a conventional movement unless it's very worn/old, but they weren't admitting to this because it was detrimental to the reputation of the co- axials.

I disagree with the practice of returning parts, they’re of no use to the owner, and the worry is that these parts get sold on. Omega replace hands when they don’t need replacing, so maybe they’re OK to buy used, but worn movement parts are usually no good. Crowns could get passed off as ‘ good condition’ when in truth the threads are worn, so someone ends up being ripped off if they buy them.

To me it makes more sense to list every part that’s been replaced on the invoice and forget about returning a bag of bits.

Master
    They don’t send all the parts, I’ve yet to see a mainspring returned, or a mainspring barrel, but these will get replaced as a matter of course. Hands, crowns and pendant tubes are easy to identify, so are the caseback seals etc, but unless you know what you’re looking at the other bits don’t mean much. Even for someone like myself it woukd be easier to have the parts listed on the invoice.

It’s rumoured that Omega change escapement parts when servicing co- axial movements, something that doesn’t happen routinely with a conventional movement unless it's very worn/old, but they weren't admitting to this because it was detrimental to the reputation of the co- axials.

I disagree with the practice of returning parts, they’re of no use to the owner, and the worry is that these parts get sold on. Omega replace hands when they don’t need replacing, so maybe they’re OK to buy used, but worn movement parts are usually no good. Crowns could get passed off as ‘ good condition’ when in truth the threads are worn, so someone ends up being ripped off if they buy them.

To me it makes more sense to list every part that’s been replaced on the invoice and forget about returning a bag of bits.
    Agreed, although, as a layman, I’m not really interested in which parts have been replaced as long as the watch is running well. I can see that it will be of interest to others.