closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-25 Everest Crown Please Help!

Hybrid View

PRS-25 Everest Crown Please Help!

Hi everyone,

Maybe I should post this in mods and wreckers (but I've done neither yet...)

The crown and crown tube on my PRS-25 Everest (mk1 acrylic) is quite worn

It's not yet a disaster, because although the crown is a bit tricky to get going to screw it down, it manages 2 full turns and does screw down tightly.

However, clearly it'll need a replacement at some stage.

I've contacted Eddie, but he's no longer able to source replacement parts.

I've spoken with a forum favourite watch maker, and he's (quite understandably) said, you get the bits and I'll do the work

I'm struggling a bit here...

I'd like to replace both the crown and pendant tube, the tube's definitely damaged, so I can't believe the crown isn't

My first point of confusion is how the tube is attached to the case...

Eddie assures me that it's pressed and soldered in...

(and I don't doubt that)

But when I look at the pendant tube hole from the movement side I can clearly see that it is threaded.... (hopefully you can too on the attached pictures)

Ideally I'd like to replace the tube with one that threads into the case.

As far as I can tell, Cousins sell only a small selection of threaded pendant tubes and no waterproof crowns that fit them (is there a FFS emoji?)

eBay offers me aftermarket Rolex crown and tube sets, and Cousins sell a Rolex case thread tap (as in tap and die set tap, not stem size tap)

The Rolex (sic) items are designed for a 2.5mm case hole and the Everest appears (it's a bit hard to measure without taking the crystal out) to have 2mm case hole

Then I'm thinking the 'Rolex' one* might be the way to go..... as I'll (or whoever does this work) have 0.5mm to play with in regards to drilling out the existing stem and my gut is telling me that it's got to be easier to drill hole bigger and run a tap down it, than it is to press in a threadless pendant tube and solder it in....

(Some internet wisdom suggests that pressed and soldered pendant tubes are not meant to be replaced....)

Thoughts?

Help!!!

Any assistance...?

Any of you ever done this?

Can any of you point me the parts I actually need, and will fit without a major case rework?

(*the irony of this in regards to the Everest is not lost on me.... yes I'd file the rolex coronet off)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Master
    If the crown screws for 2 full turns it should be fine for a long time, maybe there’s an argument for leaving well alone. Try cleaning the threads on both the case and crown then apply a tiny spot of oil or grease (tiny!). It may be possible to clean up the threaded tube if the starter thread has a tiny burr, but there’s no guarantee that’ll help if the crown threads are worn too. It’s also worth ensuring the movement is aligned correctly in the case, thus avoiding excess stress on the crown when screwing down.

I don’t know how the pendant tube is attached, but getting the old one out will require a full strip- down of the case (glass out, bezel off) and a liberal dose of heat. Once the old tube is out the best option can be established. I’m not a fan of screw- down crowns, they’re trouble waiting to happen, especially when generic parts are used (questionable quality, even from Cousins).

A press- fit plain pendant tube, aided and abetted by an epoxy adhesive to ensure WR, complete with a generic waterproof crown, is the easiest option. I wouldn’t worry about losing the screw-down crown, you don’t need it.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 1st August 2019 at 09:47.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the crown screws for 2 full turns it should be fine for a long time, maybe there’s an argument for leaving well alone. Try cleaning the threads on both the case and crown then apply a tiny spot of oil or grease (tiny!). It may be possible to clean up the threaded tube if the starter thread has a tiny burr, but there’s no guarantee that’ll help if the crown threads are worn too. It’s also worth ensuring the movement is aligned correctly in the case, thus avoiding excess stress on the crown when screwing down.

I don’t know how the pendant tube is attached, but getting the old one out will require a full strip- down of the case (glass out, bezel off) and a liberal dose of heat. Once the old tube is out the best option can be established. I’m not a fan of screw- down crowns, they’re trouble waiting to happen, especially when generic parts are used (questionable quality, even from Cousins).

A press- fit plain pendant tube, aided and abetted by an epoxy adhesive to ensure WR, complete with a generic waterproof crown, is the easiest option. I wouldn’t worry about losing the screw-down crown, you don’t need it.
    Thanks Paul.

Leaving well alone might be the best bet! Luckily the Everest doesn’t have a date, so the crown need only be touched when I decide to wear it after a period of wearing a different watch.

I’ve already cleaned the thread and added a drop of lubrication, which certainly made it feel nicer