closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Large numbers of pop-ups.

Master

Large numbers of pop-ups.

Is anyone else getting large numbers of pop-up ads every time they visit? Each time I open a page or new forum, I get a small pop-up ad for something or other in the top right hand corner of my screen. I'm finding having to close them when I want to view a thread or forum very annoying.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps a “pop up blocker” would be the answer.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Screen of what?

Duck Duck go browser best to use!

firefox + ublock addon , never seen an add on here .

Yeah I think I know what you mean, it seems to be an issue with the desktop version of the site where by a popup is initiated every time you click a link to open a new thread or sub forum and needs to be shut down before you can view the page you wanted - not sure if it could be infected code?
    If you use the TZ app, Tapatalk or an ad blocker you won't see this at all but there's definitely something amiss with the site.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Yeah I think I know what you mean, it seems to be an issue with the desktop version of the site where by a popup is initiated every time you click a link to open a new thread or sub forum and needs to be shut down before you can view the page you wanted - not sure if it could be infected code?
    If you use the TZ app, Tapatalk or an ad blocker you won't see this at all but there's definitely something amiss with the site.
    This is exactly my problem. Unfortunately I can't download an adblocker, as I'm on a borrowed laptop and I don't have admin privileges. Same reason I can't download a different browser.

Edited to add - problem seems to be fixed now, as I've been using the site for about 20 minutes now, and no more pop-ups.
    Last edited by jl smout; 30th July 2019 at 16:14.

Master
    If you regularly need to use a locked down machine then you can install a portable version of Firefox to a USB key. It leaves nothing behind on the host PC:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1111025

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    This is exactly my problem. Unfortunately I can't download an adblocker, as I'm on a borrowed laptop and I don't have admin privileges. Same reason I can't download a different browser.

Edited to add - problem seems to be fixed now, as I've been using the site for about 20 minutes now, and no more pop-ups.
    Aaaaand, they're back. I just had to jinx it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    If you regularly need to use a locked down machine then you can install a portable version of Firefox to a USB key. It leaves nothing behind on the host PC:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1111025

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
    Unfortunately I don't get on with Firefox, or I'd take up this solution.

Craftsman
    I get them too, they’re very intrusive and annoying.

I’ll say it again, I’d happily pay a subscription fee to get rid of advertising on this site.

This is weird, I'm using Firefox on a PC with no ad-blocker installed and I'm not seeing this. I don't have an ad-blocker because I want to know if ads are becoming intrusive and for me, they're not.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    This is weird, I'm using Firefox on a PC with no ad-blocker installed and I'm not seeing this. I don't have an ad-blocker because I want to know if ads are becoming intrusive and for me, they're not.

Eddie
    No problems here either using Microsoft Edge.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Definitely a strange one Eddie but it's been happening for a good few weeks now so seems like something isn't 100% with the site/code.

Not sure if this helps but right now I'm accessing via a nearly new Android device with the latest version of Chrome. If I use the mobile version everything is fine but if I switch to the desktop version then every time I click a link to a sub forum or thread a blank pop up is initiated in the form of a new tab/window. This pop up takes focus over the page you were on and has to be closed down before you can view the page you originally wanted to view.

If you need any more info let me know.
    Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 31st July 2019 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    No problems here either using Microsoft Edge.
    You liar. No-one uses Microsoft Edge!

Journeyman
    No issues on my phone but did notice this on the work computer

Master
    Still going on. I think one of them tried to hijack my webcam yesterday,. TZ-UK was the only website open, and as soon as the pop-up opened, my webcam light started flashing. It must be this site, as it's not happening anywhere else I visit.