closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Jaeger-LeCoultre in the Collection

First Jaeger-LeCoultre in the Collection

Picked this beauty up yesterday after flying into Heathrow specifically to meet Dandandanman to do the deal before flying back to Berlin on a return flight.

This deal was a number of firsts for me, the first JLC in my collection and the first time I have flown to just pick up a watch...this hobby is getting bad!

So which JLC did I collect well it was the Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control Sector Date

This can be said to be the entry level for JLC but this particular model was only produced in 2017/18 to celebrate 25 years of the Master Control range. So whilst it isn’t official a limited edition and it isn’t numbered, it is a limited production run and they are now discontinued. The key difference to the normal production Master Control date is the two tone Sector dial with the combination of an opaline centre and a satin brushed outer ring before changing back to the opaline finish at the edge of the dial. I love the subtle use of blue for the 5 minute marks and the date numbers. All hands are blued and change in the light but as you can see the hour and minutes hands are skeletonised and syringe shaped. It gives a vintage and look to the hands to me and suits the Sector dial design. If they were filled with lume I think then they would be too heavy for the design.

In terms of spec it is 39mm stainless steel automatic self winding with 50m water resistance and blued hands. The watch is only 8.5 mm tall which is thin for an auto and some brands would call this their ‘Slim’ watch.

This is because it utilises the in house manufacturer movement 899/1 automatic movement which is only 3.3mm thick. It beats at 28,800 vph, has 32 jewels, a 38 hrs power reserve and a 22 carat solid Gold rotor.

So whilst I am very happy with the watch, the question remains, do I tell my wife what I have done as she and the kids are currently away in England visiting family and they don’t know that I have ‘popped’ over?

It sounds strange and weird even to me to do this just for a watch!

Craftsman
    That really has a simple elegance, which I quite like.
    Well done on the effort you have gone to, I don't think it is that bad. No different from driving 200-300 miles to collect a watch when you think about it.
    Whether you tell the wife only you can answer that one but if it were me I would play a little game to see if she notices. My wife does that to me when she changes things in the house. Generally I never notice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I like it - a lot!

Master
    Classy watch and good effort! Never owned a jlc before but defo on my list to try

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    That is a deliciously good looking watch. I can't think of a better way of putting it. Congratulations on getting hold of it.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    So whilst I am very happy with the watch, the question remains, do I tell my wife what I have done as she and the kids are currently away in England visiting family and they don’t know that I have ‘popped’ over?
    Say nothing. It will be better in the long run.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 28th July 2019 at 13:57.

Master
    Nice watch. Don't tell the climate change carbon footprint police.

Lovely watch with the bonus of catching up with a forum member.

Lovely watch. Simple yet stunning. As for telling the wife, mine would just know... and I’d be in trouble for not telling her what she already knew..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful JLC, understated class. I believe there is a thread running in the Bear Pit which might help you with the other dilemma you face!
    J

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and I like the strap you've put on it.

Lovely watch and a nice story. The watch may be an entry-level JLeC but the movement is anything but, a real treat.

I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Such a lovely watch, my ideal dress watch. The adventure to pick it up is part of the hobby, especially if it’s to obtain something so beautiful. Enjoy wearing it!

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    That really has a simple elegance,!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    That sums it up perfectly for me. I've lusted over various JLC s over the years but I've been put off by the stories of very expensive services these days. Still I dare say one day I'll get one. Enjoy the watch though it really is a beauty

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Jeez, all the lume infill has fallen out of the hands, just hope for your sake it hasn't dropped in the movement!

Nice watch and write-up, thanks.

Slight negative for me is the date window - pity couldn't be 100% in the satin section but maybe not possible with that movement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Jeez, all the lume infill has fallen out of the hands, just hope for your sake it hasn't dropped in the movement!
    Hehe

Congrats , stunning watch.

Looking forward to seeing that sooner rather than later. Perhaps we can sneak in a quick beer before they get back; just so you can rehearse the alibi. Obviously.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I was thinking the same!

How is Thursday for you?

PM sent.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    Lovely looking timepiece, enjoy it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    i was reading a hodinkee review about this.. its a lovely watch. They had it on a grey suede strap which really set it off.

Master
    A simple and elegant watch, beautiful. I particularly like the little flashes of blue, they are a lovely detail.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Lovely watch, although I think a different coloured strap might suit it better.

Congrats, very good choice I would keep it on a dark strap, hope you'll still alive when your wife come back!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice! Similar to the Patek 5296g-001.