closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Doxa Sub

Master

Doxa Sub

Ive always had a hankering for a Doxa Sub with an Orange Dial on a BOR Bracelet but never got round to buying one, I know these Watches are a bit Marmite but was curious what members opinions are with regards to comfort, build quality ect?

The two models I've taken a shine to are the 1200t and the 300 50th anniversary model, I have a 7.5" fairly round Wrist so don't want anything to big and bulky hence showing an interest in the above two models.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that availability on new Watches are scarce at the moment but I may concider buying used, so all in all a Watch that I've always loved the design of but know very little about, so would be interested in owners opinions.

Matt

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Matt68; 28th July 2019 at 12:28.

Hi Matt.

My feeling is that the Doxa Sub is the definitive orange-dialled dive watch, and as a lover of big dive watches I desperately wanted one, so last year I bought a new Sub 1500t.

Gratuitous photo...

I absolutely love it and feel the build quality is excellent - it’s also a very comfortable watch to wear. Mine features a modern take on the BOR bracelet which I really like.

The movement is a Soprod A10, and the timekeeping has been excellent. If you like the style I doubt if you’ll be disappointed.

One small word of warning - Doxa choose (for strange reasons of their own) to supply new watches with a non-transferable warranty, so if you buy secondhand and the watch subsequently develops a fault, the factory won’t honour the original warranty.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Hi Matt.

My feeling is that the Doxa Sub is the definitive orange-dialled dive watch, and as a lover of big dive watches I desperately wanted one, so last year I bought a new Sub 1500t...

...One small word of warning - Doxa choose (for strange reasons of their own) to supply new watches with a non-transferable warranty, so if you buy secondhand and the watch subsequently develops a fault, the factory won’t honour the original warranty.

Simon
    And there are QC issues (esp paint flaking from bezel markers), so that is worth bearing in mind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Hi Matt.

My feeling is that the Doxa Sub is the definitive orange-dialled dive watch, and as a lover of big dive watches I desperately wanted one, so last year I bought a new Sub 1500t.

Gratuitous photo...

I absolutely love it and feel the build quality is excellent - it’s also a very comfortable watch to wear. Mine features a modern take on the BOR bracelet which I really like.

The movement is a Soprod A10, and the timekeeping has been excellent. If you like the style I doubt if you’ll be disappointed.

One small word of warning - Doxa choose (for strange reasons of their own) to supply new watches with a non-transferable warranty, so if you buy secondhand and the watch subsequently develops a fault, the factory won’t honour the original warranty.

Simon
    Thanks for the info Simon, I didn't know that about the warranty.

Blog Entries
    Doxa is aware of crown problems, but still the crown and tube is $187+shipping, qc is bad, cases made in china etc... never again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by igorRIJEKA View Post
    Doxa is aware of crown problems, but still the crown and tube is $187+shipping, qc is bad, cases made in china etc... never again.
    Yes I've been researching the Doxa Sub models and read about the Crown issues, do they have a wobbly stem like the vostok amphibia's or are the threads just not machined that well?

Craftsman
    How does the bezel work? Can you rotate somehow both independently as it looks like it?

I've owned a 1200T Sea Rambler and currently own a 300 Anniversary. The 1200 is marginally bigger than the 300.

I've never had a problem with either of them, and the crown seems fine on mine. It definitely isn't the Vostok wobbly crown, it's just a standard screw down crown. I suppose I could say the tube is thinner compared to say, a Submariner.

I've never owned a vintage Doxa so can't compare build quality between the generations but my current model works well and feels solid enough. I have heard that Doxa customer service is pretty much non existent but I've never had cause to use them, and probably wouldn't now anyway. I'll get it serviced by an indy when the time comes.

300 on a 7" wrist

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I've owned a 1200T Sea Rambler and currently own a 300 Anniversary. The 1200 is marginally bigger than the 300.

I've never had a problem with either of them, and the crown seems fine on mine. It definitely isn't the Vostok wobbly crown, it's just a standard screw down crown. I suppose I could say the tube is thinner compared to say, a Submariner.

I've never owned a vintage Doxa so can't compare build quality between the generations but my current model works well and feels solid enough. I have heard that Doxa customer service is pretty much non existent but I've never had cause to use them, and probably wouldn't now anyway. I'll get it serviced by an indy when the time comes.

300 on a 7" wrist

That 300 looks awesome, I remember drooling over a TZ members 300 50th anniversary at a TZ meet a couple of years ago, forgot his forum name but he's called Ant, it's his fault I have this almost uncontrollable urge to buy one lol, I'm blaming Ant.

I think I have the wrist to carry off the slightly larger 1200 model having a 7.5" fairly round Wrist, I like the look of both models equally John.

Quote Originally Posted by ollipekka View Post
    How does the bezel work? Can you rotate somehow both independently as it looks like it?
    No, they move together. The second bezel indicates NDL's (no decompression limits) for the adjacent time.

Annoyingly Doxa elected to use a version of military NDL's that are not as conservative as the usual tables that PADI recommend for recreational divers...making the bezel essentially useless for the bulk of divers.

I bought mine (50th LE) off SC here a couple of years ago, and it's very much in the "keep" box. I generally wear it on a green and orange NATO, but it's pretty versatile.

I'm a big fan and had quite a few over the years.

I've never had any particular problems.

For what it's worth I much prefer a 'lived in' vintage one.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    That 300 looks awesome, I remember drooling over a TZ members 300 50th anniversary at a TZ meet a couple of years ago, forgot his forum name but he's called Ant, it's his fault I have this almost uncontrollable urge to buy one lol, I'm blaming Ant.

I think I have the wrist to carry off the slightly larger 1200 model having a 7.5" fairly round Wrist, I like the look of both models equally John.

Haha that was mine! The best Doxa I owned after trying the 750, GMT and 1200 versions. Loved the 300, but a couple of niggles with the bracelet. I thought it a bit thick (same issue with the 1200) compared to the 750T and it would have been better tapering rather than 20mm all the way. Also the clasp lets it down - the fold over part never say flat and if I bent my wrist it would pop open. Never had that happen even on a much cheaper watch. I wore it on a rubber tropic mostly but now it’s gone I miss it again!

Ant

Master
    Thanks for the comments and photos, so there are a few folk that like the Doxa design like myself, I seem to have a strange taste in Watches as Doxa Subs and Breitlings, both brands I love the look of don't seen very popular, but as long as you like a Watch that's all that matters.

Ive pretty much decided to save a few pennies and get myself either the 30050th anniversary or a 1200t, I like the look of both models and think they would be the most comfortable for me.

Matt

There are one or two comments on this thread about quality control issues, Matt, but my own experience of my 1500t is that I’ve had no issues whatsoever and consider the build quality to be equal to that of all three of my Breitlings.

Doxa definitely seem to have a poor reputation for customer service generally and there are many reports of a very dismissive attitude towards their customers. I have no first hand knowledge of this as I’ve had no problems.

Simon

Apprentice
    Ive always had a hankering for a Doxa Sub with an Orange Dial on a BOR Bracelet but never got round to buying one, I know these Watches are a bit Marmite but was curious what members opinions are with regards to comfort, build quality ect?

The two models I've taken a shine to are the 1200t and the 300 50th anniversary model, I have a 7.5" fairly round Wrist so don't want anything to big and bulky hence showing an interest in the above two models.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that availability on new Watches are scarce at the moment but I may concider buying used, so all in all a Watch that I've always loved the design of but know very little about, so would be interested in owners opinions.

Matt

Hi Matt. I've got two 1200's, recent purchases made in the last 18 months, new from Doxa. I like the 300's, and was close to going that direction, but the dial was a bit small for my likening. The dial diameter was on their website; using calipers I was able to find a coin that was the same size, and used that as a guide.

The 1200 is thicker, and has a protruding case back. Lifts the watch off the wrist. The 300 sits flatter. I recall the case length is practically the same size as well (I was told the web site case case length, at the time I ordered, was incorrect for the 300).

I found ordering and delivery on both to be very good: about 4 business days from order to door step for me. I experienced Doxa's infamous CS on the first one: arrived with a QC issue. My experience was bad, about the worse I have experienced. To be fair, often we hear the about the bad ones. Human nature.

No issues with either in the time I have owned them. The BOR is one of the best bracelets IMHO. Comes with a tool to adjust.

Build quality IMHO is good. But to be honest, I've owned many costing less, and handled some costing a bit more, and would say my 1200's look and feel about the same. i.e nicely made, good fit and finish.

They're unique looking, ugly ducklings in some ways, and uncommon, at least over here. I like vintage stye watches for the size and brand history. If you like that, Doxa has an interesting story behind it.

Hope that is of some help!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Typical, looks like I missed the boat, can you see used prices going up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nepatriot View Post
    Hi Matt. I've got two 1200's, recent purchases made in the last 18 months, new from Doxa. I like the 300's, and was close to going that direction, but the dial was a bit small for my likening. The dial diameter was on their website; using calipers I was able to find a coin that was the same size, and used that as a guide.

The 1200 is thicker, and has a protruding case back. Lifts the watch off the wrist. The 300 sits flatter. I recall the case length is practically the same size as well (I was told the web site case case length, at the time I ordered, was incorrect for the 300).

I found ordering and delivery on both to be very good: about 4 business days from order to door step for me. I experienced Doxa's infamous CS on the first one: arrived with a QC issue. My experience was bad, about the worse I have experienced. To be fair, often we hear the about the bad ones. Human nature.

No issues with either in the time I have owned them. The BOR is one of the best bracelets IMHO. Comes with a tool to adjust.

Build quality IMHO is good. But to be honest, I've owned many costing less, and handled some costing a bit more, and would say my 1200's look and feel about the same. i.e nicely made, good fit and finish.

They're unique looking, ugly ducklings in some ways, and uncommon, at least over here. I like vintage stye watches for the size and brand history. If you like that, Doxa has an interesting story behind it.

Hope that is of some help!
    Very informative, thank you.

QC=slow boat to China... ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    QC=slow boat to China... ;)
    haha yeah I've heard, but somehow still drawn to this Watch.

Master
    I’m a big fan. This is the 800Ti which is titanium, so relatively light for its size, and tritium tubes, for maximum visibility while wreck diving ;)

haha yeah I've heard, but somehow still drawn to this Watch.
    I think they're a bit like mid-range Seikos, or Tesla cars - second hand ones with all the bits aligned and working well are sometimes worth more than a brand new one, because you know you don't have those QC issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I think they're a bit like mid-range Seikos, or Tesla cars - second hand ones with all the bits aligned and working well are sometimes worth more than a brand new one, because you know you don't have those QC issues.
    That's probably a good shout, I will look out for a second hand one.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk