closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vostok Amphibian vs. Seiko 5 Sports

Master

Vostok Amphibian vs. Seiko 5 Sports

I think these are great candidates for an ‘inexpensive but automatic’ watch as a beater that’ll survive more than desk diving. Which would you pick and why?

Also, which other watches are in the same vein?

Seiko 5 every day. Why? I don't want to answer that question as I don't want to say bad things about Vostok. There are people who love Russian watches and I can fully appreciate that. But if you are asking then you are not one of those people. With the right Seiko 5 you can end up with a gem. Look into JDM 5 Sport (Japanese Domestic Market)...

Vostok Amphibia all the way here. 200+ metres of water resistance and a genuinely original and iconic design. The latest updates on some of the newer models make a big difference too - see this thread I recently started about it: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...d-today-thread!

Boctok, worn by cosmonauts and Zissou.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Seiko 5 every day. Why? I don't want to answer that question as I don't want to say bad things about Vostok. There are people who love Russian watches and I can fully appreciate that. But if you are asking then you are not one of those people. With the right Seiko 5 you can end up with a gem. Look into JDM 5 Sport (Japanese Domestic Market)...
    Agree completely. Seiko just look more robust and inspire confidence.
    I have owned only one Vostok. Bought on eBay, shipped from Russia. Came with hour hand floating around on the dial and felt flimsy. Plus they would need substantial mods to make it look anything one would like.
    Having said that there are several members here whose views I wouldn’t dismiss who like it. So probably I am missing something here.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 28th July 2019 at 05:22.

For a non-watch person, I’d recommend the Seiko. Because much as I love Vostoks, they’re less of a QC lottery.

But if you’re into watches, it has to be the Vostok. Much more interesting. Stick to the iconic models and buy from Meranom and you’ll be alright.

If you really must have an "automatic" as a beater, and it must be cheap, then you could consider some of the less garish Invicta. They use Seiko movements, and have more water resistance than Seiko 5 (which usually only have 100m rating).
    Vostoks can be pretty, and they are an engineering curiosity, however, you are lucky if you get one that works properly. I've had several and they all had serious faults. Normally its something to do with the movement. Also the lume is crap, the date functionality is not quick-set. The "glass" on thse is plastic which is great if you appreciate why it's used, but not if you don't want to spend your time polishing scratches off.

Some people seem to be very unlucky with their Vostoks, I’ve had at least a dozen without issue. I do avoid date models but at least it’s not several grand without a quick-set feature. The plexi is no more a scratch magnet than hesalite on a Speedmaster although maybe Amphibia owners are less inclined to be careful. They do appeal to engineers who appreciate what has been achieved at the price point.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I'm in the Vostok camp, certainly the Seiko 5 is a durable and inexpensive watch but Vostok are a far more interesting and intelligent solution to sports watches, the case design is sheer brilliance, for me at this price point Seiko try to balance form with function, whereas with Vostok it's function 1st.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I have an Amphibia, probably about my fourth, and I have a Seiko 5, probably about my twenty fourth! Both are great watches available at fifty quid or less secondhand and I'd hesitate to choose one over the other. The fit and finish on the 5 is far superior, the water resistance, engineering prowess and novelty value of the Amphibia beats the Seiko. Probably why I have both, and at less than £100 for both, why not?

I would love to be educated about Vostok’s superior water resistance, engineering prowess and intelligent solutions.

Had both, loved both, neither have hung around particularly long nor had much wear.

I think from a watch nerd point of view, the Amphibia is the much more interesting watch. From the wobbly crown to the way it's sealed, to the choice of crystal, it's designed to be a bomb-proof apocalypse survivor. Yeah, the date mechanism is ridiculous and some of the variants can only be described as gaudy and timekeeping can be erratic at best, but there is a charm and history the Seiko can never come close to.

So, if it's to be a gift for someone who just wants something reliable and reasonably accurate, get the Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would love to be educated about Vostok’s superior water resistance, engineering prowess and intelligent solutions.
    There's a great article/write-up somewhere online about it, I can't find it but I suspect someone will be along shortly with the link.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vo...gy-491757.html

These are secrets of the brotherhood of WIS-dom, perhaps you're not yet ready.

Well that's the cat out the bag, now everyone will know.

Thanks a bunch. Very interesting and makes me see Vostok in a totally different light.
    I am not sure I buy the entire thing about the wobbly crown but certainly there is a lot of innovative designing there to make it interesting.
    I would buy from Meronom as suggested but for me to enjoy it, at the least need a modded bezel. Guess eBay is the best bet.
    Might seek advice of Vostok experts here before purchasing in terms of what to look for.

Thanks a bunch. Very interesting and makes me see Vostok in a totally different light.
    I am not sure I buy the entire thing about the wobbly crown but certainly there is a lot of innovative designing there to make it interesting.
    I would buy from Meronom as suggested but for me to enjoy it, at the least need a modded bezel. Guess eBay is the best bet.
    Might seek advice of Vostok experts here before purchasing in terms of what to look for.
    When I get a new Amphibia it's throw away the bracelet, and add a nato, and throw away the bezel and add a custom one. Many to choose from including Dave Murphy, Dagaz, and a host of options on ebay and Google. As for which model to choose, just buy the case shape and dial you like the the look of, that's it really.

...I would buy from Meronom as suggested but for me to enjoy it, at the least need a modded bezel. Guess eBay is the best bet.
    Meranom have a huge range of bezels for purchase, listed under 'spare parts', perhaps easier to find one you like and add it to the order. Quite a few straps too, the silicon at 9 dollars are a good buy.

I guess it would be frowned upon but thinking of wetting my feet with the 45mm Komadirskie. From Meronom.

I guess it would be frowned upon but thinking of wetting my feet with the 45mm Komadirskie. From Meronom.
    Which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Which one?
    https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie/...02-390774.html

You mean one of the K39s? I have one and it's a decent watch but it's not a traditonal model and you'll be missing out on all the things that make a Vostok iconic. I guess it's the equivalent of being recommended a Rolex so you go out and buy a Cellini.

My personal recommendation would be one of the Amphibian SE models (the SE 020B38 on a bracelet is decent) or a cheaper Komandorskie in a 02 or 65 case. I'd also try and find a model without the date function.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 28th July 2019 at 14:03.

Master
    Both great budget Watches, had a few of each over the years but I only own one of the mentioned Watches now... Vostok Scuba Dude.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    You mean one of the K39s? I have one and it's a decent watch but it's not a traditonal model and you'll be missing out on all the things that make a Vostok iconic. I guess it's the equivalent of being recommended a Rolex so you go out and buy a Cellini.

My personal recommendation would be one of the Amphibian SE models (the SE 020B38 on a bracelet is decent) or a cheaper Komandorskie in a 02 or 65 case. I'd also try and find a model without the date function.
    That is what I thought.
    My next choice is this: https://meranom.com/en/komandirskie-...ie-650541.html

What do you think?

That is what I thought.

What do you think?
    If 24 hour watches are your thing go for it. I never got used to mine.

That is what I thought.

What do you think?
    You should still try an Amphibia.
    Do you tinker? If so, merely being able to take the back off gives you an appreciation of the simple rugged genius that gives this watch it's charm.
    I don't like, or trust the movement in these but I wish all watches had the caseback sealing system.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    The 02 and 65 case Komandirskies are basically Amphibias with Komandirskie dials.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Do you tinker? If so, merely being able to take the back off gives you an appreciation of the simple rugged genius that gives this watch it's charm.
    I don't like, or trust the movement in these but I wish all watches had the caseback sealing system.
    Ok, went with the 020B38.
    Thanks for your help.

Master

Vostok Amphibian water resistance

Vostok Amphibia all the way here. 200+ metres of water resistance ...
    It looks like a Vostok Amphibian work down to 820m:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Results-are-in

Incredible!

They last as well. Mine is at least 35 years old, probably more (17 Jewels and CCCP on the dial).

Glad to see you taking the plunge Raj.

Master
    What about an Orient Mako vs. the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    What about an Orient Mako vs. the others?
    Gotta be better than a "typical" Seiko 5 for technical ability.

Incredible!
    Well done, I've been looking for that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    They last as well. Mine is at least 35 years old, probably more (17 Jewels and CCCP on the dial).
    I'd love to see a photo. Here's my oldest, wearing its years fairly well.

My oldest, bought in a night market in Kuala Lumpur in 1993. Manual wind, never serviced and still going strong as a weekend watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'd love to see a photo.
    I’ve put up a few pictures before, so at the risk of boring you all here it is again. Nothing special, not like yours, but it does get plenty of use.

I’ve put up a few pictures before, so at the risk of boring you all here it is again.
    Brilliant, thanks. I probably have seen some of the photos but never twigged quite how old it was. Lovely.

Here's another that has a few years on the clock, but I've fitted a modern bezel onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Brilliant, thanks. I probably have seen some of the photos but never twigged quite how old it was. Lovely.

Here's another that has a few years on the clock, but I've fitted a modern bezel onto it.

That is very nice. I’ve debated swapping the bezel on mine sometimes, as the dodgy thin bit of ‘70s brass the current one is made out of is a bit of an embarrassment. But it’s my embarrassment and I’ve grown to like it. I’m pretty sure the hands are modern replacements, and the crystal is definitely new. Being Boctoc, everything still fits the old models of course.

Incredible!
    And with a new caseback, running still!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ction-for-RNLI

That said, I'd probably take a Seiko 5 every time...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 29th July 2019 at 16:35.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I’ve put up a few pictures before, so at the risk of boring you all here it is again. Nothing special, not like yours, but it does get plenty of use.
    The 320/470 Amphibia has always been my favourite. I'm just working on one of mine now. Bit of a state when it arrived so it's had a new set of seals, new mainspring, new NOS bezel (when it arrives from Russia) and a damn good polish. Just need to put it back together. Yes, I have polished the bridges to a mirror finish for no other reason than they look nice now. It'll have a solid case back anyway :D

The 320/470 Amphibia has always been my favourite. I'm just working on one of mine now.
    That’s going to look great, nice looking dial as well. Pics of the movement before you lock it away!

Thanks again for being so helpful in getting mine waterproof.

That’s going to look great, nice looking dial as well. Pics of the movement before you lock it away!

Thanks again for being so helpful in getting mine waterproof.
    Ah yes! I remember your Amphibia now :D

I'd have to say Vostok.
    Having had both, I still have the Vostok, still wear it regularly.

Don't have the 5 Sports anymore.

I think those vostok watches look as bad as russian cars, If only they could look like russian women it would be very nice!

Both of them are lovely. In my opinion. The Seiko is better quality. There is no doubt. But the Boctok has something about it. A certain rubustness that makes it an excellent beater.

[IMG][/IMG]