closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best Capsule Coffee Machine

Craftsman

Best Capsule Coffee Machine

Looking to buy a capsule machine for senior management and looking for advice please. Currently she uses a cafetiere and thought this would be good to have at home but without too much faff. If we go out either a flat white or capacino is her drink of choice.

I've had a quick trawl through the forum and Nespresso pods seem well reviewed but this was from a few months back so I guess things can change.

Any advice on what to look for appreciated from the TZ baristas

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    100% nespresso. If you have a boutique near you.
    If you like authentic coffee taste. I find the dolce gusto and a few other pod/milk machines overly sweetened.

Nespresso without question.

You can get the £89 machines for £1 if you put about £200 on account as credit. Done as £18pm for 12 months. Credit can be spent on capsules, biscuits, cups etc or even another machine.

There is a. Option for £25 per month to get the £89 machine plus the £60 milk frothing machine for £1.

I have a Lattissima Pro but have just bought one of the £89 ones on the £1 subscription for our holiday home. Great deal.

Craftsman
    I’m no coffee snob but we have a Nespresso Citiz and Milk and it’s fantastic.

Great Cappuccino every time with pods bought from Amazon. 100 mixed for £17.99 if memory serves me correct.

Ours get used every day and the only issue we have had was a dead Aeroccino which Nespresso replaced FOC with next day delivery.

Edit - we also have a Delonghi which has never been used to due the faff but granted, it does look lovely. Nespresso every time for me.
    Last edited by gavsw20; 27th July 2019 at 16:30.

Craftsman
    Nespresso from me too, lots of choice in coffee strengths and flavours if that your thing.
    You should have no problem finding one you like.
    Don't worry if you don't have a boutique nearby the mail order is very good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    All as above, capsule coffee does not get any better

Pitch

Master
    Look at the Nespresso Vertuo range, as that makes all different sizes in cups. You can get good discounts and free pods.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone. Looks like it's the Nespresso

Craftsman
    I'm back with more questions I've just had a look on the John Lewis Web site and trying to work out the differences in machines. I'm guessing you need the milk frother for a capuccino ? This seems to come free with the cheapie Citiz at the moment so what extra do you gain in spending more money please.

I'm also struggling to work out what volume of coffee each machine produces. I can see the vertuo range offers the option of different sizes but doesn't seem to have the range of coffee. Is it just a question of chucking more hot water in to top up a bigger cup or do you just run the water through the pod again ?

Master
    The amount that the machine produces can be adjusted to suit personal taste and coffee-cup size - even on the basic Citiz.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    The amount that the machine produces can be adjusted to suit personal taste and coffee-cup size - even on the basic Citiz.
    Many thanks. Just trying to understand what I gain by spending more than the £80 on a basic machine, which comes with the free frother

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Many thanks. Just trying to understand what I gain by spending more than the £80 on a basic machine, which comes with the free frother
    In my view nothing, but others with the more expensive kit may demur.

If you go for the smaller capulse ones you can get capulses anywhere (Starbucks, Lidl, Pact etc). Nespresso tried to take these companies to court and lost so instead brought out the Vertuo capsules which are barcoded and automatically detect if it's an Espresso, Lungo or Ristretto.

If you get a machine with the built in frother it's great if you constantly drink coffee but I found that I would sometimes forget about it in the fridge and the milk would go off. We have a separate frother now which is easier as you never have milk going off in the fridge.

Generally the frother you get bundled is ok, but not amazing. If you pay for the better frother it has buttons at the bottom so you can set the froth level, pretty cool.

The benefit of getting a massive machine is a much bigger reservoir and bin so you're not constantly filling it back up and emptying the bin after 5 shots.

Master
    We’ve just bought a Nespresso Vertuo machine and have been pleasantly impressed so far. It replaced a normal Nespresso machine as we prefer a larger cup of coffee. Plenty of choice with the capsules both in terms of flavours and sizes.

Master
    We bought a vertical machine good coffee but limited as to were you can buy the pods compared with the small ones

Nespresso Mini.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

+1 Nespresso. Also bought an aerocino milk frothier and soon gave it up. I use Aldi Ristretto pods; usually two for a strong americano. But the wife likes a latte with one pod in a mug and topped up with milk and blitzed in the microwave for 1’30”. You can use a milk frother whisk for cappuccino. I have the basic machine and it’s ace.

Craftsman
    For a bigger cup I use two or three ristretto capsules (black ones) in a mug and then run hot water through the machine normally using the 'lungo' size. As I only drink black coffee this is perfect for me.
    I have never used a milk frother so can't comment on them so I use the simpler cheaper machines. They work very well.
    Sometimes if you go direct on the Nespresso website they do some good offers giving you credit towards your first coffee order.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Craftsman

It’s coffee blow the budget

I have had an nespresso tassimo dolche gusto and a few others.

They are ok as far as they go

Atm I have a bean to cup machine and is by far the best option

The frothed is a pita always needing cleaned

The nesspreso was my least favourite

This I find strange as I am the spitting image of George Clooney....lol

I'm surprised people are still buying capsule coffee machines given the waste they produce.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I'm surprised people are still buying capsule coffee machines given the waste they produce.
    https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/recycling

Master
    I'm back with more questions I've just had a look on the John Lewis Web site and trying to work out the differences in machines. I'm guessing you need the milk frother for a capuccino ? This seems to come free with the cheapie Citiz at the moment so what extra do you gain in spending more money please.

I'm also struggling to work out what volume of coffee each machine produces. I can see the vertuo range offers the option of different sizes but doesn't seem to have the range of coffee. Is it just a question of chucking more hot water in to top up a bigger cup or do you just run the water through the pod again?
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the free frother as you can buy good ones separately: the main issue is what sort of coffee you want to make. As the name indicates the original Nespresso is really targeted at making espressos & the volume of coffee in the pods is quite small. Of course you can run two or thre pods into a mug but they usually cost around 30p a pod so the cost mounts up. It's nothing like pouring a mug of full strength coffee from a cafetiere.

Nespresso based themselves on the razor blade business model - give the machines away & make money on the pods. Unfortunately many other companies started making pods & Nespresso lost a judicial case preventing the sale of these. They countered this by designing a new machine called the Vertuo which uses a much bigger pod & crucially a barcode system which currently (as far as I'm aware) limits you to buying pods from Nespresso.

The Vertuo pods come in five sizes from 40ml (espresso) to 414ml (alto) but they also come at a cost with the Alto around 62p a pod. Still, that's possibly better value than three original Nespresso pods. However, there is a more limited range of coffees available in the Vertuo pods, as you have found out.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/choose-your-system
    https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/vertuo-coffee-capsules

I'd be a little wary about buying an original Nespresso machine if you like drinking long coffees. Consider buying a second hand machine to try it out: you can pick them up on Gumtree for £20-£30. Personally I have a Nespresso & use it every day but I'm on the look out for a second hand Vertuo to try.

Master
    We have the basic Nespresso machine in our office. Got it for under £80 with frother and £50 for pods. It works fine, no mess. We have a dualit frother at home as we have a Gaggia Classic. The Nespresso capsule machines have the same internals so its the extras you pay for. The Vertuo uses a spinning process but is v.good (another office near us has one)

Craftsman
    I've found Nespresso and Lavazza pod systems to be the best by far of those I've had, the Tassimo and Senseo are definitely to be avoided. I'd go for the Nespresso as there are quite a lot of 3rd party compatible pods to try once you've left the Nespresso ecosystem. For a strong small shot I do prefer the genuine pods (Dharkan is a particular favourite), but for a long drink with milk the strongest of Aldi's pods (I forget the name) is quite acceptable.

For those Nespresso users who use original pods there is an offer for 10% free credit when subscribing to buy coffee capsules from Nespresso.

Plans £17pm up to £50pm and 10% extra credit will be added each month.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/coffee-subscription

I'm also struggling to work out what volume of coffee each machine produces. I can see the vertuo range offers the option of different sizes but doesn't seem to have the range of coffee. Is it just a question of chucking more hot water in to top up a bigger cup or do you just run the water through the pod again ?

we bought a Sage Nespresso Creatista machine from John Lewis at Christmas, so far it has been faultless and it is getting hammered

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    we bought a Sage Nespresso Creatista machine from John Lewis at Christmas, so far it has been faultless and it is getting hammered
    The nespresso machine in my small office gets battered with about 10-15 per day. Currently it’s been going for 7-8 years. It’s my original nespresso citez machine.

Even when you do have a problem the customer service is excellent.

I have also had a pixie. Another great entry level machine.

Currently I have a kitchen aid cos it was on sale and looks snazzy. All the machines are 19bar pressure and produce the same coffee. I mix between espresso in the morning and cappuccino in the afternoon the aerocino is a good add on but not needed if you like shorter intense coffees. If you want a Starbucks size giant mug get a vertuo machine.

The only other thing to say is stay away from knock off capsules from Lidl/Aldi etc. Plastic pods don’t dispense well. Lor make some good aluminium capsules but they’re only marginally cheaper than nespresso

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    We bought the Sage Creatista plus - does more things than the standard Creatista and only comes in stainless steel. Bought it from John Lewis (as told to by staff in the nearby Nespresso boutique - was £100 cheaper than the boutique price as was on a special), took it to them and they registered it to give me the three year guarantee. Makes really nice coffee. Bloody 'andsome! We had a Dolce Gusto before that but the Nespresso capsules give a much better brew. I’ve tried other makes of capsules in it but haven’t found any as nice as the Nespresso ones. One tip, buying the large 150 capsule variety pack can be a bit of a waste because 20 (maybe 30) of the capsules are decaf. Okay if you like decaf but I don’t so a bit of a waste for me. If you go to a boutique, they are making coffees all day long for customers. Just try a few before you buy.

https://youtu.be/1M8zUmhbN2s

Plenty more videos on YouTube.
    Last edited by Motman; 29th July 2019 at 19:16.

I just checked Ours is a plus, we went to John Lewis for a different machine then we saw this one, and the were giving away £50 of Capsules with it.

Craftsman
    I have one of these.
    https://www.magimix.co.uk/products/b...esso/Maestria/

Brilliant. Had it about 4 yrs. used every day.

These pods.
    https://ravecoffee.co.uk/collections...le-coffee-pods

And these pods.
    https://www.roastworks.co.uk/product...ory/nespresso/

Regards
    V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nespresso without question.

You can get the £89 machines for £1 if you put about £200 on account as credit. Done as £18pm for 12 months. Credit can be spent on capsules, biscuits, cups etc or even another machine.

There is a. Option for £25 per month to get the £89 machine plus the £60 milk frothing machine for £1.

I have a Lattissima Pro but have just bought one of the £89 ones on the £1 subscription for our holiday home. Great deal.
    Thanks for the tip - my machine just failed and by subscribing for one year get a free machine. Must be suffering from the compatible capsules - if you order from Nespresso and make a note to cancel it is a great way to get the machine replaced FOC.

Blog Entries
    Personally, for my office I have passed to a Lavazza capsule machine, called "A modo mio".

And to "Caffe' Borbone" capsules (available from Amazon), very good value, available for several different types of machines.

I usually buy the "Don Carlos" variety, which are perfect for my taste and most of my colleagues.

PS: and the "A modo mio" is also available with a milk device.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the free frother as you can buy good ones separately: the main issue is what sort of coffee you want to make. As the name indicates the original Nespresso is really targeted at making espressos & the volume of coffee in the pods is quite small. Of course you can run two or thre pods into a mug but they usually cost around 30p a pod so the cost mounts up. It's nothing like pouring a mug of full strength coffee from a cafetiere.

Nespresso based themselves on the razor blade business model - give the machines away & make money on the pods. Unfortunately many other companies started making pods & Nespresso lost a judicial case preventing the sale of these. They countered this by designing a new machine called the Vertuo which uses a much bigger pod & crucially a barcode system which currently (as far as I'm aware) limits you to buying pods from Nespresso.

The Vertuo pods come in five sizes from 40ml (espresso) to 414ml (alto) but they also come at a cost with the Alto around 62p a pod. Still, that's possibly better value than three original Nespresso pods. However, there is a more limited range of coffees available in the Vertuo pods, as you have found out.

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/choose-your-system
    https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/vertuo-coffee-capsules

I'd be a little wary about buying an original Nespresso machine if you like drinking long coffees. Consider buying a second hand machine to try it out: you can pick them up on Gumtree for £20-£30. Personally I have a Nespresso & use it every day but I'm on the look out for a second hand Vertuo to try.
    That was rather interesting in how Nespresso have had to evolve to prevent cannibalisation. They are pricey little things.

Personally I like my ritual of coffee. Also the amount of waste. Can the capsules be recycled now?

Craftsman
    I my opinion if you buy the machine to use cheap plastic pods with no taste. You’re not nespresso’s target market and thus should save yer money and buy a jar of Asda own brand instant.

Very few copycat pods rival the quality of nespresso capsules. I’ve tried loads and the cost difference is marginal at the better end. You pay for what you get. The boutique model has gone crazy now they’re in every major shopping centre.
    Back In the day it was Knightsbridge or online only

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That was rather interesting in how Nespresso have had to evolve to prevent cannibalisation. They are pricey little things.

Personally I like my ritual of coffee. Also the amount of waste. Can the capsules be recycled now?
    As I understood it they had a patent on the capsules so although some tried to get around that they weren't much good - now the patent has expired opening them up to much more competition via compatible capsules.

The capsules were designed to provide a full quality espresso without the large machine and mess.

The capsules have always been recyclable as long as I have had a machine - they give you a free bag and you arrange pickup via their app or website. I just order the collection when I order new capsules although can arrange a collection at any time (and is often a different van).

I did the maths before and the capsules are competitive with "good" coffee beans from Waitrose or a coffee shop but expensive vs cheap beans or good offers (such as the 1kg of Lavazza beans I bought the other month).

A beant to cup machine can easily cost 800 so even if the beans were free it is still 2500 Nespresso coffees or so to cover the cost of the machine alone so I think they are only actually pricey vs instant coffee.

The new vertuo machines spin the capsule and create a really good crema and I suppose the cycle continues until the patent expires or there are enough machinesoin circulation that compatibles start to have an impact again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    We bought the Sage Creatista plus - does more things than the standard Creatista and only comes in stainless steel. Bought it from John Lewis (as told to by staff in the nearby Nespresso boutique - was £100 cheaper than the boutique price as was on a special), took it to them and they registered it to give me the three year guarantee. Makes really nice coffee. Bloody 'andsome! We had a Dolce Gusto before that but the Nespresso capsules give a much better brew. I’ve tried other makes of capsules in it but haven’t found any as nice as the Nespresso ones. One tip, buying the large 150 capsule variety pack can be a bit of a waste because 20 (maybe 30) of the capsules are decaf. Okay if you like decaf but I don’t so a bit of a waste for me. If you go to a boutique, they are making coffees all day long for customers. Just try a few before you buy.

https://youtu.be/1M8zUmhbN2s

Plenty more videos on YouTube.
    That's the one we have and so far, it's been excellent.

Master
    If you want to go the pod route then at least get some made with a good coffee so get ESE pods.

Then you can choose the bean you want.

https://www.thecoffeepod.co.uk/conte..._ESE_44mm.html

Master
    If anyone is looking at a Vertuo then the machines are down to £79 at John Lewis:

https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-...black/p3343990

It says to clear so maybe the original Vertuo is end of line?

Nespresso tassimo dolche gusto for me also

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    If anyone is looking at a Vertuo then the machines are down to £79 at John Lewis:

https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-...black/p3343990

It says to clear so maybe the original Vertuo is end of line?
    We picked up the Magimix version of that machine in JL for £79, it didn’t appear on their website but luckily they had one in store.

There may be a new range of machines coming out but as Vertuo is the latest thing from Nespresso I doubt it’s the end of the system altogether.

Definitely Nespresso. If it's good enough for Gordon Ramsay to use in his restaurants, it's good enough for me.

Only thing that comes close is a moka pot, and that takes 20+ minutes of faff.

Craftsman
    I've got two Nespresso machines. The Delonghi one in the kitchen has a milk container and makes lattes/cappuccinos but is a little bit of a faff to clean. I also bought a Citiz one when they were on offer with a free frother if you bought x number of capsules. Capsules needed anyway, I put the frother on Ebay unused and the net cost of the Citiz was about £15.

That lives in the bedroom for an early morning espresso!

I generally use the capsule to make a shot then add hot water and milk (Americano style) 90% of the time.

You can programme them to use as much or little water as you like in a shot but I set it to follow Nespresso's recommendation as if you run too much water through the capsules the coffee tastes bitter.

HEMA, the scandanavian odds'n sods chain sell recylcable / reloadable pods for Nespresso which you can load up with your own favorite coffee and then use through a nespresso machine.

it only takes about 10 mins to refill 20 odd capsules stored in an airtight container is enough for a week for me. Worth it if you have a preferred coffe that doesnt appear in the Nespresso range.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I generally use the capsule to make a shot then add hot water and milk (Americano style) 90% of the time.
    Always hot water first, then espresso, then milk!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Always hot water first, then espresso, then milk!
    I never add boiling water, it's always gone off the boil, but will try the other way round and see if my aging taste buds will notice the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    HEMA, the scandanavian odds'n sods chain sell recylcable / reloadable pods for Nespresso which you can load up with your own favorite coffee and then use through a nespresso machine.

it only takes about 10 mins to refill 20 odd capsules stored in an airtight container is enough for a week for me. Worth it if you have a preferred coffe that doesnt appear in the Nespresso range.
    Wife bought me some of these in an effort to reduce expenditure on pods, and cut down on waste (even if it is recycled).

Tried it once. Got halfway through filling up the fiddly little fuckers, binned the lot. The whole point of Nespresso is that it's good coffee, quickly. The refillable pods completely negated that. Might as well do a moka pot or get a "normal" espresso machine if you're going to the faff of buying beans, getting the grinder out the back of the cupboard, grinding the exact amount of beans required, cleaning the grinder, putting the grinder away, then filling the tiny pods, sealing them up and storing them somewhere where they won't burst open. Just typing that out has tired me out enough to consider going to bed before I've changed the strap on this Doxa...