closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hand Setting

Hand Setting

Hi
    I am wondering if any of you experienced, knowledgeable folk might be able to give your thoughts. I have recently modded my Seiko SKX009 with new movement and hands. It's working very well and I am pleased. Since then I have been reading conflicting advice on the internet about the best way to set the hands on a day/date movement. Some people advise to set the hands in position just when the date has changed. Others say to set the hour hand lightly at this point but to then turn it to the midday twelve o'clock and then push it home. They say that this way is less likely to damage the date changing mechanism. Perhaps I have been lucky. What is the recommended way?

Good question... need to know as well .. awaiting responses

Craftsman
    I'd be interested to know too...im imminently going to carry out a hand swap.

I would lightly set the hour hand at the point just after the date clicks over. Then adjust so that hour hand is at 12:00 midday. Then lift off the hour hand and reset at just past the 12:00, then adjust back to 12:00 midday and set the other two hands. Then check that you are happy with point the Date clicks over when advanced past the midnight... if not happy rinse & repeat :-)

Thank you that's very interesting. May I ask the purpose of resetting the hour hand to just after twelve then winding back?
    If I have understood correctly then will that not cause the date to start changing before the midnight position. Sorry for the questions. I am very keen to learn.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 28th July 2019 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    Thank you that's very interesting. May I ask the purpose of resetting the hour hand to just after twelve then winding back?
    If I have understood correctly then will that not cause the date to start changing before the midnight position. Sorry for the questions. I am very keen to learn.
    Yep, just to get the change starting before and finishing just after the midnight. That is down to personal preference though. So feel free to drop the step.

Thank you very much! My brain is working a bit slow just now.