closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part three of the trilogy: I still don't have a Sea Dweller

Journeyman

Part three of the trilogy: I still don't have a Sea Dweller

I know I'm going to get lots of grief for this, but the events of today upset me. In the AD's defence: I can be difficult, am obsessive over certain things and my permanent chronic pain was having a not at all good day today. In my defence: IMO the AD behaved like an arse.

So, I went in to my local AD this lunchtime to collect the Sea Dweller that they'd offered me on Monday.

First time I'd actually seen one in the flesh (I was after the previous model originally which I really liked) and it's lovely. I know d2ore was after one and I'd PMed him this morning to say if I didn't like it I was happy to offer it up to him for a price he'd be really happy with. Keeping it on the forum and all that. I don't really need the money I could get on the grey market for it. I'm sure the fundraiser would get some love too. Not sure that was going to happen! It was all sorts of lovely.

Given a previous post here recently, I did check the hour hand alignment and to me it was about 1-2 minutes off. Minute hand at 58ish for TDC on the hour hand. Dealer claimed I was seeing things (and my left eye is somewhat damaged), but I put on my readers and it still looked a good two minutes out. No biggie, I can live with that and get it dealt with later if I cant.

So I paid my £8200 (£500 already on deposit) and AD says he just has to go and fill out the warranty paperwork, get my copy, and he'll be right back. The best part of 10 minutes later he returns with my copy of the warranty docs and the watch. Now de-stickered!

At no point had he said he was going to do this, nor did he ask permission. When questioned he said it was now policy to cut down on sales to the grey market. My response was that I didn't care about the stickers per se, but that it had been done to my watch after I'd bought it and without my consent. The AD said somebody should have told me this was their policy (and in their contract with Rolex) and regardless there was nothing they could do now.

This is the sort of thing that niggles me. If they'd done it before I'd bought it, no problem. If they'd asked then I had a choice. But this was my first Rolex and it soured the experience. I left the watch with them, had a wander around town for 15 minutes, went back and had a refund.

One of the other sales staff had a long chat and tried to convince me to change my mind, said that I'd regret my decision and that it'd be sold by close of day if I phoned back later. I agreed with him that I regretted the decision, but for my first Rolex I wanted it to be a good experience, that this wasn't and that maybe they might want to look at how they communicate with their customers moving forward.

The sales staff were all very apologetic afterwards and said I'd be top of the list for the next SD that arrived and that they'd try and make the experience better next time, but I'm not sure how I feel about this.

The final thing that irked me and I'm just being picky here, is that before this all kicked off I asked for a receipt for the watch that would persist. Till rolls being what they are generally degrade very quickly. The AD replied that they were unable to provide anything other than the till roll, although they could photocopy it if I wanted. I live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Just make sure you get the stickers too, I've heard some sorry tales of ADs taking the stickers and ruining the full set.
    I told you.

Also, you sound like a massive pain in the backside, getting bent out of shape like that is ridiculous. The AD sold the watch later than day, you still don't have one, who is the fool?

So summary of that essay, you wasted the shops time with a false sense of entitlement.

You could have just been happy you were able to purchase a "hot commodity", new, without paying any markup
    Followed by putting the watch on and enjoying your new purchase.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It is a shame when this happens. Not passing judgement on either side, but I do think ADs should be explicit on the matter of stickers/warranty card etc, before any money is taken, and particularly when dealing with new customers who might not know the ropes.

Craftsman
    I think the AD should of told you before payment was made about the stickers.
    When I was offered one a few months ago I was informed that the card would not be with the watch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Stickers are transit packaging. They don't actually compromise part of the full set. Neither does the coffin box that I bet you didn't see hide nor hair of or demand post sale.

You sound like a right pain in the backside to be hones. Id put a tenner on you no longer being on the SD waitlist for spoiling a warranty card.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    So summary of that essay, you wasted the shops time with a false sense of entitlement.
    Yep, I expected that after I'd bought something it was mine and not the shop's to do with as they wanted. Again, I don't care about the stickers, but I don't like people messing with my stuff without asking for permission. I'm funny that way.

Master
    I’m surprised that anyone on here with an interest in buying a Rolex didn’t appreciate that this was likely to happen. If you didn’t specifically tell them you wanted to be the guy to take the stickers off in the shop (which wouldn’t have been an unreasonable - if slightly weird - request) then you did it to yourself.

Pretty mental you can live live with misaligned hands but not someone else taking the stickers off.

Takes all sorts I guess...

...until this bit...

Quote Originally Posted by sunaxi View Post
    The sales staff were all very apologetic afterwards and said I'd be top of the list for the next SD that arrived and that they'd try and make the experience better next time, but I'm not sure how I feel about this.
    Which is just f**king wacky!!
    Last edited by cmcm3; 26th July 2019 at 17:17.

Not fully grasping the issue. Did they throw away the stickers? Did you want to see them do it or did you want to do it yourself or take it home stickered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seems like you seen the hour hand was out a tad and threw a hissy to get out the deal.

Master
    Is this some sort of wind-Up? It includes nearly every detail obsessive go on about, all stitched together into a daft tale of excessive entitlement and self-regard.
    Surely no-one could be quite so absurd and self-important.
    A modern Mr Pooter.
    Ps: the till-roll bit was a nice new touch. Well done.

When’s chapter four?
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th July 2019 at 17:26.

This thread shows what joke watch 'collecting' has become during the last couple of years.

Customer would buy the watch whether he likes it or not, as he has already a fellow enthusiast lined up to whom he can sell it for a profit. And then he goes ballistic because the watch comes without its cling film packaging!
    I bet you a year ago you had never heard of 'stickers' but nowadays everybody is an expert on full sets.

Shame on the AD if they ever sell you a watch again.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    OP sounds like a fruitcake to be honest.
    The bit about the receipt is ridiculous.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Stickers are transit packaging. They don't actually compromise part of the full set. Neither does the coffin box that I bet you didn't see hide nor hair of or demand post sale.

You sound like a right pain in the backside to be hones. Id put a tenner on you no longer being on the SD waitlist for spoiling a warranty card.
    The coffin was still there, although I neither wanted nor cared for it and I fully expect the only list I'll be on is a black one. Again, I don't care whether or not it came with the stickers, but I expect that once I've bought it and paid my money the dealer doesn't get to take it into a back room and change it's condition without telling me or asking first. Communication and consent is all I ask for. If they have to de-sticker it, do it in my presence.

I could have gone straight to a grey dealer today and offloaded it for a bit of a profit. I didn't. Hopefully somebody else who's been on the waiting list as long as I have will get that call today and be as happy as I was on Monday.

I appreciate that most people here will not share my peculiarities, and for most people this is something they won't even think about. But when it is one of those things that presses your buttons, it's really hard to accept.

Master
    Sounds like it was the withholding of the warranty card more than the stickers that bothered you?
    Assuming that is the case, then I can understand not being happy if you weren’t familiar with that practice - but then being a member here, I am surprised you didn’t already know this.

The AD should however have made their practices clear before taking your money

Master
    I’ll be amazed if they ever call you about another one - why would they after all that hassle?

You could be wearing and enjoying your new watch right now, instead you don’t have the watch and appear very bitter and angry about the whole experience. I’d move on now, don’t let it eat you up.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The coffin was still there, although I neither wanted nor cared for it and I fully expect the only list I'll be on is a black one. Again, I don't care whether or not it came with the stickers, but I expect that once I've bought it and paid my money the dealer doesn't get to take it into a back room and change it's condition without telling me or asking first. Communication and consent is all I ask for. If they have to de-sticker it, do it in my presence.

I could have gone straight to a grey dealer today and offloaded it for a bit of a profit. I didn't. Hopefully somebody else who's been on the waiting list as long as I have will get that call today and be as happy as I was on Monday.

I appreciate that most people here will not share my peculiarities, and for most people this is something they won't even think about. But when it is one of those things that presses your buttons, it's really hard to accept.
    They haven't altered the condition of the watch. You've altered the condition of the warranty card with your drama though.
    Rolex have made it wonderfully clear that stickers on professional models are supposed to be removed before the watch leaves the AD. How or where they're removed is truly irrelevant.

I sincerely hope that you don't offload anything to a grey dealer, and if you intend to do so, give them enough advance notice to stock up on ibuprofen.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^Oops, missed that gem during my skim read!

Master
    You are in dire, dire need of some serious perspective.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Not fully grasping the issue. Did they throw away the stickers? Did you want to see them do it or did you want to do it yourself or take it home stickered?
    I don't mind either way. I don't care about them. The problem I have is that after inspecting and buying the watch, one that I've been trying to get for quite some time, the AD took it into a back room, on the pretence of filling in some paperwork, and changed it's condition without informing me. Yes, it's only transit packaging. Yes, it's nothing to get worked up about. Yes, it's almost certainly means they'll never supply me with another watch again. But it's one of those things that presses my buttons. If it's a necessary step in the sales process be open and honest about it and if you don't tell the customer before tell them after so they can check it again afterwards should they so wish. Don't just put it back in the box and hope nobody notices.

Id put a tenner on you no longer being on the SD waitlist for spoiling a warranty card.

I'm with you
    There won't be a call for the next one (or probably any watch for that matter)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Op I have a feeling that will be your last ever ‘sought after’ Rolex from that particular AD.

OP it actually sounds to me like you might be suffering with depression here, it might be a good idea to speak to your GP. I'm not taking the piss, I don't know what you'd say to them or what they could do for you but I couldn't read this without mentioning it. It really sounds like you could do with some professional advice before it gets more serious.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Sunaxi, you are wholly responsible for this debacle. It may well have been your first Rolex but being a member on this forum means you were well aware of current practices - you know you have specific likes/dislikes but you failed to convey your preferences to the dealer before you completed the transaction. You clearly weren't the only one 'pained' on the day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    OP it actually sounds to me like you might be suffering with depression here, it might be a good idea to speak to your GP. I'm not taking the piss, I don't know what you'd say to them or what they could do for you but I couldn't read this without mentioning it. It really sounds like you could do with some professional advice before it gets more serious.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Sales guys will certainly be needing some therapy after that episode.

Master
    The more I read it, the more convinced I am that ‘sunaxi’ is rather skilfully parodying the behaviour and attitudes routinely displayed in TZ threads. It seems to be based on ‘Mr Pooter’, in ‘Diary of a Nobody.’
    Before too long there will be a ‘part four’ when our long-suffering purchaser finally gets his watch, only to find a whole host of tiny issues...all issues previously raised in TZ.
    Don’t become part of the joke.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th July 2019 at 18:16.

Master
    Maybe dealers should offer customers the chance to remove the stickers themselves in a customized booth.....

They could sell you a wee film of the process just like you get when you come off a rollercoaster ride.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Agree. Since when bloody stickers became a thing?

Wouldn’t stop me from buying it, but it is presumptuous/discourteous. If someone in a phone shop opened the box and took of the screen cover I’d be similarly unimpressed. Just ask!

Indicative really of customer service - ie there’s no need for it as the things sell themselves!

Blog Entries
    You sound as if you wanted to wear it for a bit then move it on fully stickered up for a profit, but that’s ok because the fundraiser is getting a slice .
    Either that or a fruit loop
    No way you getting anything else from that AD
    Stickers ? Have a look at yourself

Journeyman
    I actually agree with the OP as I have posted before on this very subject.

Absolutely gutted though as I was offered the watch as he says .....before the event at the AD

Why the OP didn’t just take it and ring me is mind boggling to me and I’d have given him a drink on it obvs

But there you go if we were all the same life would be boring wouldn’t it ?

Leave off the OP he’s entitled to feel anyway he wants this isn’t a forum on behaviour therapy now is it ?

I know I'm going to get lots of grief for this, but the events of today upset me. In the AD's defence: I can be difficult, am obsessive over certain things and my permanent chronic pain was having a not at all good day today. In my defence: IMO the AD behaved like an arse.

So, I went in to my local AD this lunchtime to collect the Sea Dweller that they'd offered me on Monday.

First time I'd actually seen one in the flesh (I was after the previous model originally which I really liked) and it's lovely. I know d2ore was after one and I'd PMed him this morning to say if I didn't like it I was happy to offer it up to him for a price he'd be really happy with. Keeping it on the forum and all that. I don't really need the money I could get on the grey market for it. I'm sure the fundraiser would get some love too. Not sure that was going to happen! It was all sorts of lovely.

Given a previous post here recently, I did check the hour hand alignment and to me it was about 1-2 minutes off. Minute hand at 58ish for TDC on the hour hand. Dealer claimed I was seeing things (and my left eye is somewhat damaged), but I put on my readers and it still looked a good two minutes out. No biggie, I can live with that and get it dealt with later if I cant.

So I paid my £8200 (£500 already on deposit) and AD says he just has to go and fill out the warranty paperwork, get my copy, and he'll be right back. The best part of 10 minutes later he returns with my copy of the warranty docs and the watch. Now de-stickered!

At no point had he said he was going to do this, nor did he ask permission. When questioned he said it was now policy to cut down on sales to the grey market. My response was that I didn't care about the stickers per se, but that it had been done to my watch after I'd bought it and without my consent. The AD said somebody should have told me this was their policy (and in their contract with Rolex) and regardless there was nothing they could do now.

This is the sort of thing that niggles me. If they'd done it before I'd bought it, no problem. If they'd asked then I had a choice. But this was my first Rolex and it soured the experience. I left the watch with them, had a wander around town for 15 minutes, went back and had a refund.

One of the other sales staff had a long chat and tried to convince me to change my mind, said that I'd regret my decision and that it'd be sold by close of day if I phoned back later. I agreed with him that I regretted the decision, but for my first Rolex I wanted it to be a good experience, that this wasn't and that maybe they might want to look at how they communicate with their customers moving forward.

The final thing that irked me and I'm just being picky here, is that before this all kicked off I asked for a receipt for the watch that would persist. Till rolls being what they are generally degrade very quickly. The AD replied that they were unable to provide anything other than the till roll, although they could photocopy it if I wanted. I live and learn.

The general buying public would not care about stickers, coffins or tags. People here (including me) do.

I think the AD should have just asked you or mentioned the stickers will need to be removed. For previous purchases the AD asked if I wanted to remove the stickers for which I said yes but for my last purchase, I just let the AD.

It is a shame this purchase did not work out for you.

Apprentice
    The more I read this, the more it becomes more comical and absurd! Can’t believe you backed out on this watch for the reasons stated! Seriously you must be regretting this now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not surprisingly you've just made it to the,,

With regard to people I'd never deal with.
    Last edited by number2; 26th July 2019 at 22:32.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Its just a watch, I don't really see an issue with the actions the OP took, its the principal. He's paid the money, it is his property, the AD have no right to do a thing at that point. Spoiled warranty card, good, serve them right for being arrogant ******. Rolex is a funny one. The idea of luxury purchases suggests an above and beyond level of customer service, make the customer feel special and so on. Rolex though, just look at the replies in the thread... It's quite pathetic.

Craftsman

All too familiar

It does see as though the service is getting more and more ordinary.

As supply is SS is below demand the customer has become the beggar with the AD dangling a carrot.

I only have 2 Rolex atm a OP and a zenith Daytona. Until the next downturn in the economy I don’t think I will visit a Rolex dealer with a view to buy.

My current daily is an omega and was a far better experience and to be honest I like the watch better than my others.

All in all such a shame

Master
    How did you get offered a 126600 as your first Rolex? Have you an existing relationship buying other items?

Master
    I bet the AD is glad to see the back of the OP, I know I would be.

When you buy a new car you don’t insist it’s supplied with its paint protection transit stickers, unpolished in its “bought” state, so why would you want watch ones?

Very odd behaviour, as someone already mentioned creating such a fuss over something you’re “not bothered about, but....” does make me wonder about the OP’s general mental state. And no I’m not taking the pee, the warning signs are there and quite serious.

Craftsman

Are you a mature adult ?

Mtfu.

Master
    Oh.
    It’s only a watch. You’re overthinking it and should have taken it home with you.
    It really doesn’t matter what you do and don’t get.
    Looking at it and smiling when you’re wearing it is what it’s all about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Is this some sort of wind-Up? It includes nearly every detail obsessive go on about, all stitched together into a daft tale of excessive entitlement and self-regard.
    Surely no-one could be quite so absurd and self-important.
    A modern Mr Pooter.
    Ps: the till-roll bit was a nice new touch. Well done.

When’s chapter four?
    I think you’re right and we’ve all given him exactly what he wants!

Every time I read something like this (and it seems remarkably representative of both Rolex ADs and customers IMHO), I count myself very lucky to have a local jewellers, who is not only a Rolex AD but a remarkably straight forward, courteous and decent family owned company.

My one and only Rolex was bought from them less than a year ago. I was asked if I wanted to remove the stickers myself, whether they should do it or, get this, whether they should just leave them on! Having no previous knowledge of the strange world of Rolex, I chose the easy option and got them to do it for me. They’re now in the box, along with the guarantee card and all the other bits and bobs. If I’m going to buy a watch, I’m going to wear it, naked as the manufacturer intended

Re the OP’s comments, I kind of get it. It’s just polite to discuss exactly what you’re going to do when a customer is parting with many thousands of pounds. I have to say though that it’s a strange thing to throw such a tantrum over. I’ve never met you, or for that matter have anything to base any comments on other than this post but it sounds like you are well aware of any potential personality flaws and maybe it’s time to seek a little help, to save you getting so wound up, by what many consider to be a very small issue. Especially as you could now be sat wearing a dream watch.

Anyway, I’m off to dig out the previous instalments and look forward to part 4 with great anticipation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I’m surprised that anyone on here with an interest in buying a Rolex didn’t appreciate that this was likely to happen. If you didn’t specifically tell them you wanted to be the guy to take the stickers off in the shop (which wouldn’t have been an unreasonable - if slightly weird - request) then you did it to yourself.

Pretty mental you can live live with misaligned hands but not someone else taking the stickers off.

Takes all sorts I guess...

...until this bit...

Which is just f**king wacky!!
    +1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I think you’re right and we’ve all given him exactly what he wants!
    Indeed, and I bet he is laughing his head off. He certainly knows his audience.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th July 2019 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    This thread shows what joke watch 'collecting' has become during the last couple of years.

Customer would buy the watch whether he likes it or not, as he has already a fellow enthusiast lined up to whom he can sell it for a profit. And then he goes ballistic because the watch comes without its cling film packaging!
    I bet you a year ago you had never heard of 'stickers' but nowadays everybody is an expert on full sets.

Shame on the AD if they ever sell you a watch again.
    Another response worthy of repetition
    Last edited by Halitosis; 26th July 2019 at 22:05.

How can people bond with a watch if they haven't done the de-stickering themselves?

Master
    Is this what it has come to? I mean seriously, it is bin fodder. I really don't mean to give any stick to the op but this Rolex thing is getting ridiculous now.

Master
    I'm sad that you had such an unsatisfying experience.

I suspect in a few days or a week or too you may regret it, but that is all so dont worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The more I read it, the more convinced I am that ‘sunaxi’ is rather skilfully parodying the behaviour and attitudes routinely displayed in TZ threads. It seems to be based on ‘Mr Pooter’, in ‘Diary of a Nobody.’
    Before too long there will be a ‘part four’ when our long-suffering purchaser finally gets his watch, only to find a whole host of tiny issues...all issues previously raised in TZ.
    Don’t become part of the joke.
    Yeah, a bit like the guy who kept returning Day-Dates because of a whole host of issues. Man, did we laugh.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Yeah, a bit like the guy who kept returning Day-Dates because of a whole host of issues. Man, did we laugh.
    But you were wrong, weren’t you. Rolex had to introduce a modification and upgrade hundreds of watches.
    And let’s see who’s instincts are right about this thread.
    It’s a joke. Quite a good one.
    Last edited by paskinner; 27th July 2019 at 08:19.