closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EEEK!

EEEK!

Spotted this is a Window in Argyll Arcade Glasgow:

Now I know that this is a rare watch, and that second hand Rolex prices are a bit bonkers, but this is crazy! And it is a bit cruddy looking for your money....

I think this is the same dealer who was advertising the "oldest Omega Pie Pan in the world" at £80k+

A

Craftsman
    Well someone with money to spare, (lots of money to spare!), might be tempted if they think it is something they have to own, or something which will go up in value. Fortunately I don't have to worry about what to do with oodles of excess cash!

:o)

Eeeks is right. Would never wear it.

Well, I don’t know who Jean-Claude Kily is.
    I know, of course, of Jean-Claude Killy, 3 Gold at the winter Olympics in 1968, and a known Rolex ambassador. But he was 10 in 1953...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

That's quite an, er, eccentric window display as far as prices go. From £994 (?) to £395,000.

Would they just let you try it on?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I know, of course, of Jean-Claude Killy, 3 Gold at the winter Olympics in 1968, and a known Rolex ambassador. But he was 10 in 1953...
    I believe that there is a degree of controversy about his connection with that particular model of Rolex, and as you say it is unlikely to be that very one!

A

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That's quite an, er, eccentric window display as far as prices go. From £994 (?) to £395,000.

Would they just let you try it on?
    It is a very eclectic display. They have a WWII Lange & Sohne B-hur for about £11k, and a Genta watch made for some middle-east country (ghastly looking thing IMHO) for about £20k side by side with fashion brands and a whole range of "vintage" watches from the usual suspects.

I doubt if they would let me try it on! I don't think I look very .... hmm... rich!

A

I've no idea how much that watch is actually worth, but who puts a £395K watch in the window for passing trade? Is Glasgow full of billionaires or something!

Master
    Still loads of money from the cotton and tobacco trade up here in Glasgow.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The strap doesn’t even fit:(

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aamaci View Post
    I believe that there is a degree of controversy about his connection with that particular model of Rolex, and as you say it is unlikely to be that very one!

A
    The ‘Killy’ Rolex: AKA The Dato-Compax Chronograph

The Dato-Compax Chronograph was in production long before Killy made his mark on the world skiing — as it was produced from the 1940’s to the 1960’s. Despite this, when Rolex set their eyes on him, they knew he was the ambassador of this watch.

The watch is famous for its triple-date calendar and three subsidiary dials that sit at 3, 6 and 9 o’clock on the dial. So, is the Killy Rolex an ode to the skiers Triple Crown? Most likely. But, the watches multifunctionality and highly-sought after looks are also a nod to the multi-talented and famously handsome skier.

Despite the fact that the Dato-Compax Chronograph was being produced long before Killy’s time, there are still five references that are referred to as the Killy Rolex: the 4768, 4767, 5036, 6036 and the 6236. These watches are amongst the most complicated ever produced by Rolex — making them highly sought after today by collectors. Because of their short production run, these watches are also incredibly rare.

If the watch is worth even half the listed price, a 'smash and grab' would be tempting for a lot of thieves.

Master

EEEK!

I had exactly the same model as a beater.

The Hamilton Lord Jazzmaster Chrono auto!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk