closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Idea for protecting watch lugs during strap change?

Idea for protecting watch lugs during strap change?

Having suffered the woe of strap changing marks to watch lugs I was wondering if this might be worth a try (for leather straps only)
    I was thinking that if I cut a small strip of plastic from a sheet of paper that has been laminated and then cut a small slit in it to slide over the spring bar.
    My theory is this will then provide a barrier between the spring bar and watch lug and thus protect the watch.
    Worth a go?

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Having suffered the woe of strap changing marks to watch lugs I was wondering if this might be worth a try (for leather straps only)
    I was thinking that if I cut a small strip of plastic from a sheet of paper that has been laminated and then cut a small slit in it to slide over the spring bar.
    My theory is this will then provide a barrier between the spring bar and watch lug and thus protect the watch.
    Worth a go?
    Or a bit of electrical tape?

Master
    Personally I use cotton wool

I use a jeweller:-)

Electrical tape. It’s thicker than normal tape.

And - strangely - magnifying glasses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I use a jeweller:-)
    The jeweller is a Human too,what he can do you can too,Infact Id be taking more care of anything I own than someone who doesn't......generally.

And anyway it's a simple enough thing to remove two pins from a watch......IMO........isn't it!.

Master
    For the last 15 years or so I have used a 1950s bone handled dinner knife. During that time I have never put a scratch on any lugs :0)

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    The jeweller is a Human too,what he can do you can too,Infact Id be taking more care of anything I own than someone who doesn't......generally.

And anyway it's a simple enough thing to remove two pins from a watch......IMO........isn't it!.
    Obviously you go to someone you trust.
    To me removing a bracelet is a hassle. Don’t mind sizing it myself.

Master
    It’s a job I hate, but last time I put a small piece of sellotape on each lug and it worked a treat. Scratch free.

Craftsman
    Get the large tweezer type spring bar tool so the bar is fully compressed on the way in. Otherwise if you haven't got the ability to do it without marking the case then yes, electrical tape or something similar should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Electrical tape. It’s thicker than normal tape.

And - strangely - magnifying glasses

Another for electrical tape.
    Go to case protector for popping bezels and changing straps

Craftsman
    Hmm..........I’m a touch confused.......you are installing the pins from the underside of the lugs aren’t you, where scratches on the back don’t count?

Quote Originally Posted by EdHughes1 View Post
    It’s a job I hate, but last time I put a small piece of sellotape on each lug and it worked a treat. Scratch free.

I find a strong spring bar will go through the sellotape - electrical tape works well but the OPs suggestion too (for anything other than a bracelet).

I assume everyone is talking about the underside for fit and remove but they’re still ugly marks and I always look at that when buying pre-owned, to see if the owner was a dabbler and if they had any care for the thing - like do all tyres match when buying second hand motor. Just a little yard-stick

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostgear View Post
    Hmm..........I’m a touch confused.......you are installing the pins from the underside of the lugs aren’t you, where scratches on the back don’t count?
    Just because it is the rear side of the watch, doesn’t mean it doesn’t count

Craftsman
    Kapton tape is a very useful thing to have in the watch box. Like yellow cellotape but far more robust. It’s what is use.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Just because it is the rear side of the watch, doesn’t mean it doesn’t count
    Totally agree with that. Damage is damage no matter where it appears.

Master
    I'm very careful. Then I attach a NATO strap to the watch and have no worries afterwards.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
    I'm very careful. Then I attach a NATO strap to the watch and have no worries afterwards.
    I use electrical tape for protection when removing a strap and after that there is no issue as it is Natos all the way.

Laminating the entire watch could help.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Obviously you go to someone you trust.
    To me removing a bracelet is a hassle. Don’t mind sizing it myself.
    I took my (then) brand new 16610LV into Rolex St James and the white coated technician took the bracelet off through the front of the watch marking the front of both lugs(!!). I only noticed when I got it home and was shocked - but couldn’t be bothered to go back (at the time they weren’t all that expensive and I wasn’t OCD!) - since then I’ve always removed bracelets etc myself, a lot of jewellers are heavy handed imho