closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 44 of 44

Thread: What’s So Special About a Rolex Submariner?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    606

    What’s So Special About a Rolex Submariner?

    No not another quarrel but I came across this article today.

    Jake

    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-submariner-reference-points
    Last edited by Jake; 26th July 2019 at 15:05.

  2. #2
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,526
    I don't care what the article says, but I do want all the watches pictured. Pure Sub porn

  3. #3
    Master animalone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,564
    It's not a Daytona

  4. #4
    Craftsman Artium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288
    The sub is the best watch of all time, everybody knows that.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    The sub is the best watch of all time, everybody knows that.
    I think that a gauntlet has just been thrown down ....

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Matlock
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    It's not a Daytona
    Now you’ve done it....😉

  7. #7
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    14,537
    It's a rather well made mechanical watch, which will tell you the approximate time for many years, whilst retaining much if not more of it's monetary value.

    Next question.

    What's so special about a full English breakfast?
    It's just democracy.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    6,723
    Bacon?

    And once again, the myth that Rolex got to the top of Everest in the fifties is repeated, while a watch that was neither first nor produced in any great numbers “quickly became most iconic”. In the fifties, the Zodiac Sea Wolf held that crown and by the sixties the world and his wife made a vast profusion of dive watches. By the seventies, sure, but that’s not really quick is it? There’s no denying that this is a magnificent and panoramic view of an important watch. It’s just the usual lazy repetition of the same tired myths that just gets irksome. And the A296 is a winding module, not a movement.

    And good sausages?

  9. #9
    Master amnesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    2,572
    Blog Entries
    1
    Black pudding, surely ?!

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Black pudding, surely ?!
    Southerner I’m afraid.

  11. #11
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    75
    Definitely the fried bread and hash browns. Can have bacon and sausages any time!

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,929
    And then is it brown or red sauce...

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    South Lanarkshire
    Posts
    97
    Tottie scones!
    And you don’t put sauce of any sort next to a fried egg or baked beans...that is just wrong on so many levels.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    And then is it brown or red sauce...
    Citizenship rights to be stripped of anyone who answers 'red'.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Definitely the fried bread and hash browns. Can have bacon and sausages any time!
    A full English, hash browns? You'll be telling me next that it has baked beans too!

  16. #16
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,424

    What’s So Special About a Rolex Submariner?

    Nothing, it's just a good mid tier watch, that's it.

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    A full English, hash browns? You'll be telling me next that it has baked beans too!
    Haha what can I say... I’m not a traditionalist

    You can’t deny that hash browns are lovely, right?

  18. #18
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    10,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I don't care what the article says, but I do want all the watches pictured. Pure Sub porn
    But they all look the same.

    hash browns, cmon.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by lostp View Post
    Haha what can I say... I’m not a traditionalist

    You can’t deny that hash browns are lovely, right?
    They're ok, prefer fried bread when done just right.

  20. #20
    Master Jardine32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    1,055
    ^ Yes, it's the fried slice that does it and a mug of scalding hot strong tea.
    J

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,745
    Getting back on topic of what's so special about a Rolex Submariner, an interesting little fact comes up in this article.

    https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/discov...x/watch-owners

    Only 0.1% of divers own a Rolex, let alone a Sub.

    Despite that, you have more chance of fornicating with Kylie Minogue than you do of acquiring a new Sub.

  22. #22
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    10,528
    Best days are probably behind both, tbh.

  23. #23
    Master WatchIng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Rural Suffolk
    Posts
    1,229
    Great marketing!

  24. #24
    IMO nothing, for the masses because it says Rolex on the dial

    - - - Updated - - -

    IMO nothing, for the masses because it says Rolex on the dial

  25. #25
    Master Wibbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,034
    Never liked Mercedes hands on a watch. The very early Subs with the straight hands I like, but for me the one is the Milsub. Lovely watch.



    Always wondered why Rolex never did a reissue of this? I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes. Maybe Omega hold copyright on the hands?

    In depth article from the Eric Wind chap.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    ^ Yes, it's the fried slice that does it and a mug of scalding hot strong tea.
    J
    Oh yeah, a big mug of builders' tea

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    Never liked Mercedes hands on a watch. The very early Subs with the straight hands I like, but for me the one is the Milsub. Lovely watch.



    Always wondered why Rolex never did a reissue of this? I'm sure it would sell like hot cakes. Maybe Omega hold copyright on the hands?

    In depth article from the Eric Wind chap.
    Do Rolex do re-issues at all?

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    I just wasted one of my free Bloomberg articles on that link to the actual 'dinkee article next time!

  29. #29
    Apart from many other things it is the compulsion that nay sayers feel to jump in on any Rolex thread like wankers who never tire of saying it is a mid tier watch or glory days are behind it. Love it or hate it, you can’t ignore a Rolex Sub- the most iconic watch ever in luxury segment and it is so for a multitude of reasons and astute marketing is just one of them.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Apart from many other things it is the compulsion that nay sayers feel to jump in on any Rolex thread like wankers who never tire of saying it is a mid tier watch or glory days are behind it. Love it or hate it, you can’t ignore a Rolex Sub- the most iconic watch ever in luxury segment and it is so for a multitude of reasons and astute marketing is just one of them.
    Well, it is mid tier, mass produced, the new fisher-price case is quite far from the original design idea.

    It is also very well made, highly regarded and iconic. Hence its popularity.

    I had a Sub-Date, enjoyed it for many years, then sold it on to fund something else, you know, like you do.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Well, it is mid tier, mass produced, the new fisher-price case is quite far from the original design idea.

    It is also very well made, highly regarded and iconic. Hence its popularity.

    I had a Sub-Date, enjoyed it for many years, then sold it on to fund something else, you know, like you do.
    I get you loud and clear. This is only the thirty fifth time you have said so in last month:-)

  32. #32
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    dunfermline fife
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    They're ok, prefer fried bread when done just right.
    We’ve started frying it in chilli oil, gives it a nice wee “kick”.
    Hash browns! Is that a New England full English?

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I get you loud and clear. This is only the thirty fifth time you have said so in last month:-)
    Ha, ha, ha you're funny

  34. #34
    Master Jardine32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Getting back on topic of what's so special about a Rolex Submariner, an interesting little fact comes up in this article.

    https://www.homeprotect.co.uk/discov...x/watch-owners

    Only 0.1% of divers own a Rolex, let alone a Sub.

    Despite that, you have more chance of fornicating with Kylie Minogue than you do of acquiring a new Sub.
    Oh I don't know, buy something TT and I'm sure a sub could be sourced for you rather quickly.
    The equivalent would be bumping bones with Danni to have a shot at Kylie.
    J

  35. #35
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I just wasted one of my free Bloomberg articles on that link to the actual 'dinkee article next time!
    Oops - my bad - link changed!

    Jake

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Apart from many other things it is the compulsion that nay sayers feel to jump in on any Rolex thread like wankers who never tire of saying it is a mid tier watch or glory days are behind it. Love it or hate it, you can’t ignore a Rolex Sub- the most iconic watch ever in luxury segment and it is so for a multitude of reasons and astute marketing is just one of them.
    Might that have something to do with the same old tired claims being endlessly repeated?

    So I assume that you are conceding the Everest point. In fact I'd go beyond that. When did Rolex first summit on Everest? It wasn't in the fifties, I'm pretty certain it wasn't in the Sixties and that makes it at some point in the seventies.

    I'm happy with the claim that Rolex is, without doubt, the most famous watch brand, but what is your basis for saying it is the most iconic dive watch. It was absolutely swamped by Zodiacs and Seapearls in the fifties and early sixties and then it was swamped by literally everyone producing a profusion of dive watches and again it was only with the late seventies and the quartz crisis that Rolex finally started to catch up. Even then they were again swamped by Seiko and citizen who were actually making dive watches that addressed the needs of divers who dived a bit further than their desk.

    I'm not saying that the sub is a bad dive watch. Even though that was, as a matter of fact, the conclusion of the US Navy when they first tested it, I am merely pointing out that Rolex simply didn't make that many watches until quite late in their career and so just could not have been as influential as people assume they were today. There was a point at which the Sub became the default shape of the fakes and cheap watches, but that was much later. Even then, take the logo off it half a dozen decent dive watches and most outside the watch community would struggle to identify it.

    As for 'luxury', the fact is that however you stack your euphemisms, Rolex are not tier one or even two. They may be luxury, but only if your hierarchy has bespoke, ultra luxury and high end luxury stacked above it. They are a currently mass market object that is neither handmade nor extensively hand finished. Swearing at people in watch talk doesn't change that.

    Mind you, I'd love to hear the methodology behind the percentage of divers claim as that sounds like the purest of B.S.
    Last edited by M4tt; 26th July 2019 at 15:55.

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    salisbury
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Southerner I’m afraid.
    So am I, but Black Pudding hs to be on my plate if having a full fry up. I'll eat it whilst wearing my Sub as well :)

  38. #38
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    10,499
    Achieving iconic and 200m for 50 quid is special.



    That Milsub is rather nice though. And none of the ugly unnecessary text on the dial reminding you of how special it is.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    6,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Achieving iconic and 200m for 50 quid is special.
    Rubbish! You can do it for less than twenty:


  40. #40
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    63

    What’s So Special About a Rolex Submariner?

    Must admit, I don’t really see what all the fuss is about and the ‘Hulk’ is next level ugly.

    Tin hat firmly on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    21,045
    Rolex make decent watches with good after-sales, they are over priced due in no small part to being a must-have across the globe by those in desperate need of personal validation.
    This is a watch forum and Rolex is just another brand.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  42. #42
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,745
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Rolex make decent watches with good after-sales, they are over priced due in no small part to being a must-have across the globe by those in desperate need of personal validation.
    This is a watch forum and Rolex is just another brand.
    Rolex are under priced as the clamour to buy them demonstrates.

    Once the prices have increased thanks to Rolex reducing the supply, they will then become a select brand and this watch forum will spend more of its time talking about them.

    To be honest, we need a UK based Rolex forum.

  43. #43
    Master Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,515
    Nothing really, took my sub off last weekend, went to put it on Monday morning - wasn’t working, service time :-(

    Been wearing an Orient since then and it’s working flawlessly, you pay your money you take your chances!

  44. #44
    Grand Master snowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    10,010
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Black pudding, surely ?!
    Obviously and I'm a southerner too!

    M

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information