Craftsman

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    What a lovely trio you have there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Wysie8 View Post
    That’s a cracking trio right there!

Thank you! Ive promised i'll sell a watch after acquiring the DJ. I havent stated which one so i might just dust off the G-Shock (not in the pic!) and stick that up for sale ;)

Master
    Rolex Submariner / classic Seadweller - and get it done in one watch - sporty enough to wear at the beach, dressy enough for the opera, rugged enough to take a bump or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ManCityDG View Post
    Thank you! Ive promised i'll sell a watch after acquiring the DJ. I havent stated which one so i might just dust off the G-Shock (not in the pic!) and stick that up for sale ;)
    Haha,

Problem solved!

What should a three watch collection consist of

It won’t be anyone else’s idea of a perfect collection, but for me this it at the moment. 2 automatics and a quartz, a blue a black and a steel. The Fossil is fun and I swap the strap out for a loud yellow when I'm in the mood. The Seiko has a beautiful face and works with jeans and on the beach. The Sub works with anything at anytime and is near perfect (except for being too valuable which makes me nervous at times).

Last edited by Halitosis; 27th July 2019 at 18:35.

Craftsman

Just right

Hard to argue with air land and sea I guess.

As for the individual watch. Get what you love.

I think the air king is so underrated but other than the name not sure it fits the above criteria.

But get what you love not what others are talking about I recon

If I had to go down to three from my current lot I'd be tempted to go vintage...

Then again, if I went modern...

Thank god I don't have toi make that decision

A threesome is not a gangbang.

If you want to make it a collection it would have to be three of the same watch but different.

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman
    Of the current collection probably these three (though I wear my speedy more than the navitimer so maybe not).

If we’re going ideal world I think the Pepsi would be flanked by a nautilus (sorry) and a gold ALS Saxonia moonphase

What should a three watch collection consist of

I think my three would have to be as versatile as possible, so I’d go:

All out sports watch= vacheron overseas.

Rolex 16710. With three bezel inserts, 2 bracelets and 2 straps you’d have 12 watches in one. The jubilee dresses it up a bit as well

I don’t really wear dress watches, but this looks good with everything and is dressy enough, especially if on a leather strap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

These three for me....
    One to wear all day everyday (with a bit of a story to make it special)
    One to feel smart
    And one to feel a bit different on less rugged sort of days.

Last edited by Dentsmithy; 27th July 2019 at 16:55.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I think my three would have to be as versatile as possible, so I’d go:

All out sports watch= vacheron overseas.

Rolex 16710. With three bezel inserts, 2 bracelets and 2 straps you’d have 12 watches in one. The jubilee dresses it up a bit as well

I don’t really wear dress watches, but this looks good with everything and is dressy enough, especially if on a leather strap

Well done that man. Good choice.

Three watches? Madness...

Right now it’s these:

A versatile sports Rolex

An easy wearing HEQ

Something refined and elegant

Which rather leaves the Sub-Date and Speedy in the box :(

Ask me again next month! Whatever your number of watches, your eyes do wander onto new and different things

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    There’s certainly no standard definition, it’s very much an individual thing.

Mine would be something like yours ie.

G shock beater
    16710 tool watch
    Simple no date dress watch.

I’ve already got the first two but the final one would be difficult as I wouldn’t want to be particularly expensive and I’d also have to get rid of a few watches that I’d really rather keep!
    Agreed!

I love my G-Shock GMW-B5000-1ER, SKX007 and De Ville as a similar 3 watch collection. Although an upgrade to 14060 as the tool watch and a calatrava would be nice..

Journeyman
    For me it would be these three out of my current collection:

Casio G Shock GW5000-1JF
    Omega Aqua Terra Quartz 231.10.39.61.02.001
    Rolex Datejust 116234

The dream is to upgrade to:

Casio G Shock GW5000-1JF
    Omega Aqua Terra Skyfall 231.10.39.21.03.001
    Rolex Day-Date 118239 or 128239

If the G Shock doesn’t count I would add a Grand Seiko Quartz SBGX259G.

Versatile watches is key for me.

If it's down to 3 watches, it'll be 2 sports and a dress watch.

Three watches.......

three watches.......

No, don’t get it

Simon

Craftsman
    It's all personally situational to be honest, and I wasted time and money trying to fit some kind of community-made model. As an extreme example that if I wore a suit all the time in the week I'd want two different coloured dress watches for the week to match a suit colour or two, and a weekend watch. Centre your decision around how you'll use the watches, rather than some other metric.

I personally now run a silver VC Overseas Gen 3, a moon watch, and a vintage silver dial Longines Conquest auto. The VC does everything well so the other two don't get much wear.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    I find it is best to have several sets of three.
    My thoughts exactly

I’d say it’s whatever floats your boat and makes you happy. Everyone’s ideas will be different of course.

This is actually something I’m working toward now myself, as I feel like my watch journey is slowing to a halt and want to finish up on a 3 watch collection of pieces I really like and that serve various purposes.

For me it would be a classic daily wearer 3 hander. Something like an Explorer or in that mould. I have a Tudor Ranger which fits that bill perfectly. Then a diver; I do a bit of water sports so gets some genuine use (not diving though!) but also desk diver, weekend diver, whatever you want to call it, has to be in there for me. Am aiming for the new Omega Seamaster early next year. And finally something a bit more dressy, endless options out there. Whatever I get to fill this berth will be at the cheaper end as won’t see nearly as much wrist time as the other two. Presuming G-Shocks don’t count as have one of them for gym, football etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

I still regret selling my 2004.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It would have to be these 3 in practical terms and watches I would enjoy wearing.
    Value doesn't come into for me.

1,18 COSC would be my swimming,holiday,doing manual things watch.

2,IWC would be my everyday watch not just because I love it.

3,Smiths 29B also an everyday watch particularly on hot days or just when I want some exercise winding it up

By chance it’s one of all 3

Master
    1 x Submariner
    1 x Speedmaster
    1 x Jaeger Reverso
    Job done

I'd stick with these, probably

Master
    I was told long ago that a gentleman needs 3 watches. An everyday watch, a dress watch and a sports watch. In the world of 3 watches I would be Panerai focused. Everyday would be 372, dress would be 231, and sports would be 243. Job done.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    1 x Submariner
    1 x Speedmaster
    1 x Jaeger Reverso
    Job done
    Now that's my sort of set.
    J

Master
    Some great watches and great ideas in the thread, thanks to everyone who replied. As someone who is relatively new to this watch "thing" It's interesting to see people's idea of what a three watch collection could be or if such a thing is desirable, or even possible

Is three too easy? The classic idea has always been the ‘two watch’ collection. And preferably quite cheap because if you had to go down that route, that is likely due to some financial reason.

Anyway, I digress. If I had to pick 3 regardless, I agree just pick things you like and possibly they would be similar. But that is a tad boring for a hypothetical question! Anyway my criteria -

1. Something that is a relative beater/easy wear

2. Something that carries some haute horologe weight.

3. Something sentimental of importance.

From my own collection that fits the criteria:

1. Seiko Landmaster. I’d be bold and say if I had to go to one, this would be it.

2. Ming 19.01 - I cannot express how well executed this watch is and a seriously excellent movement that fits the horological bill.

3. I’m torn either my Seiko Monster - first mechanical watch I ever bought or my Panerai 111. The watch that broke my resistance in buying ‘expensive’ watches. Probably the latter as it’s a bigger watch and the other two are relatively smaller (sadly no pic on my phone!!!)

I’d be very happy with that as my only 3 (and a G or five...). And of course thankfully the whole exercise is hypothetical!

1 x Sport Watch - Patek 5167

1 x Diver - Rolex 14060M

1 x Chronograph - Heuer Carrera Re-Edition

If pushed I'd say every collection should have a gold dress watch too - My 1973 Longines 9ct would cover that so I'd have to have 4.

Two watches, an expensive mechanical and a cheap quartz

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    It would have to be these 3 in practical terms and watches I would enjoy wearing.
    Value doesn't come into for me.

1,18 COSC would be my swimming,holiday,doing manual things watch.

2,IWC would be my everyday watch not just because I love it.

3,Smiths 29B also an everyday watch particularly on hot days or just when I want some exercise winding it up

By chance it’s one of all 3

Nice battery of watches, but as I think that IWC in the middle would be the MkXII, that would be special.

When I first got into watches years ago, I thought of that particular watch and its predecessor, the MkXI, as the ideal. I'd probably want a hybrid of the two now, with the mechanically secured screw-down flanged crystal (though I think the Jenny "Caribbean" front-loading type the better way to do it) and fixed lugbars of the MkXI , the screw-down crown (but most definitely with a Rolex Oyster type screwed-in crown tube it very much deserves) and much higher water resistance of the MkXII, and, of course, the heavy anti-magnetic protection of the full coverage soft iron Faraday Cage the MkXI and MkXII share between them, all wrapped up in the long lugged classical Navigator Grade Military Pilot's Watch aesthetics both watches have always epitomized for me.

I think the IWC MkXII will always very much be an ideal and I can see why you'd want to wear it all the time --- great choice (and that's not just trying to butter you up to sell me your Precista '53, those preceding words were sincerely meant and probably distill my thoughts on watches down to their core essence)

I think probably:

Diver: Rolex Sub
    Chrono: Speedy Pro
    Dress: JLC Reverso

Though for me I'd have a Pelagos over the Rolex. Maybe a co-ax Speedy for ease of use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here’s a dream 3 watch collection.

Master
    Very limited specific use for a dress watch these days given the casual nature people dress.
    I would not bother with one specifically.

Journeyman
    For me to pick from my collection it would have to be an everyday watch, a simple 3 hand watch and a nice chronograph...

Every day beater choice: Christopher ward trident 600 or Oris aquis depth gauge

3 hand: Ball engineer ii Ohio.

Chronograph: Tag heuer aquaracer countdown chrono.

Hard choice for just 3!! Although the easy part is all black dials and all on bracelet.. obviously all subject to change!

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm not sure why people are insistent on wanting a chrono in a 3 watch collection - surely something to chase as a 4th/5th piece? For just 3, best to go for simplicity.

Craftsman
    Buy three random Watches...... you'll soon be either changing them, or adding to the collection anyway

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post
    Buy three random Watches...... you'll soon be either changing them, or adding to the collection anyway
    That’s true.

what’s worrying me is this thread has got me thinking whether I should/could go down to three.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I'm not sure why people are insistent on wanting a chrono in a 3 watch collection - surely something to chase as a 4th/5th piece? For just 3, best to go for simplicity.
    Because I want to time stuff.

(Thinking about it, I change my chrono to a Seiko 7A38 with a matrix dial).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Three watches.......

three watches.......

No, don’t get it

Simon
    This made me laugh

As for answering the OP, I can't get to just 3 watches as I enjoy them all. Having recently aquired a steel bracelet for my Omega 3851.20.12 it might be one of the three. I could not see myself ever parting with the Zenith EP, so that's two. After that it becomes too much of a struggle. So I'm happy it's not one I need to fret on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After reading your comment I strapped on my new to me Sinn and timed my drive to the doctors.
    I then timed how long I had to wait which was 5 times as long as the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Because I want to time stuff.

(Thinking about it, I change my chrono to a Seiko 7A38 with a matrix dial).
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    After reading your comment I strapped on my new to me Sinn and timed my drive to the doctors.
    I then timed how long I had to wait which was 5 times as long as the journey.

Don't get me wrong, I like a good chrono, but if i had to narrow to a 3 watch collection, not really a priority.

But clearly you two are not the only ones with a massive timing fetish so not going to argue this point any further!!!

A diver beater, real tool diver, dressy diver:

Seiko tuna (quartz), Oris 500m, Sumo

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koristeći Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Not including my work beater, a G-Shock, this is my compete collection!

Speedmaster ‘57 with both steel bracelet and leather deployant strap
    SMPc 300M with steel bracelet and nato strap
    Christopher Ward slimline manual watch with brown and black deployant straps. That’s about 75 different combinations - that’ll do for me!

Last edited by Motman; 31st July 2019 at 18:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't get me wrong, I like a good chrono, but if i had to narrow to a 3 watch collection, not really a priority.

But clearly you two are not the only ones with a massive timing fetish so not going to argue this point any further!!!
    I was just joking

Journeyman

Not about a timing fetish, it's about variety in the three watches. Why would you have three simple ones?!

Good job everyone has different tastes or we would all be wearing the same 1 watch

Craftsman

My all time favourite watch. Beautiful.

Something I don't mind getting grubby/sweaty/scuffed/beaten, something tool/diver and something smarter but not a dress watch as I have no need for one.

Out of my approx 20 watches I'd probably go for one of my Gs, my Sinn EZM13 and either my Tudor BB36 or SBGX063 Grand Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz77 View Post
    Not about a timing fetish, it's about variety in the three watches. Why would you have three simple ones?!

Good job everyone has different tastes or we would all be wearing the same 1 watch

Amen to that! Though a significant difference between my simple choices of the Ming 19.01 and Panerai 111!

If I were to recommend just THREE watches for my sons to have (or on which to build), it would be these three very different, very iconic watches:

1) Rolex Submariner: diver...Rolex...ultimate icon

2) Omega Speedmaster Professional: the watch that went to the Moon...iconic chronograph

3) Vintage Hamilton Brock: 14k gold...rectangular...leather strap...iconic dress watch

These three, along with just a few additional straps, would form a solid foundation for any man's collection!
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 1st August 2019 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    If I were to recommend just THREE watches for my sons to have (or on which to build), it would be these three very different, very iconic watches:

1) Rolex Submariner: diver...Rolex...ultimate icon

2) Omega Speedmaster Professional: the watch that went to the Moon...iconic chronograph

3) Vintage Hamilton Brock: 14k gold...rectangular...leather strap...iconic dress watch

These three, along with just a few additional straps, would form a solid foundation for any man's collection!
    Nailed it

D