closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who’s the Mug?

Craftsman

Who’s the Mug?

Just ‘thinking aloud’

Yesterday I was in Bulgaria looking at, amongst other snides, a fake ‘hulk’ for £120. Today I see a dealer has a real one up for £13,950.

Can’t decide which theoretical buyer is the bigger mug.

I guess you'd get back more of your £13,950 back in 5 or 10 years time than your £120.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RS404 View Post
    I guess you'd get back more of your £13,950 back in 5 or 10 years time than your £120.

Maybe. How far up can the second hand price on a current production watch go up...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Maybe. How far up can the second hand price on a current production watch go up...?
    Who can say whether it's current production or not? They certainly don't appear to have been making any recently!

Craftsman

Maybe but if the hands of the snide fall off in a couple of years (or weeks/months) you only ever stand to lose £120, and street credit if you get caught out passing a snide off as genuine.

However, if the tide ever turns on the sports rolex craze, you stand to lose £xxxx and have egg on your face for being one of the idiots that paid almost twice RRP in ‘the mad years’.

Craftsman
    I suppose it's all about what you can afford and what makes you happy. Some people will only drink classed growth claret for example - and they just don't know what they're missing at Aldi! (Don't tell anyone but their £6.99 Stellenbosch is phenomenal).

:o)

I'd rather have a £120 Seiko diver than a Hulk - real or fake.
    Last edited by Foxy100; 25th July 2019 at 14:30.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Who can say whether it's current production or not? They certainly don't appear to have been making any recently!

True 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Me also, or a cool Timex, Scurfa, Citizen, Casio, anything rather than a look at me fake.

I don't know who's the mug but I do know both watches, the cheap crap and expensive, are worn by a good number of fakes.
    There are plenty of worldwide reputable brands at £120 without the need to become a fake wearing tit. WTF is wrong with people.
    Gray

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I don't know who's the mug but I do know both watches, the cheap crap and expensive, are worn by a good number of fakes.
    There are plenty of worldwide reputable brands at £120 without the need to become a fake wearing tit. WTF is wrong with people.
    Maybe the question should be rephrased: relatively cheap homage versus very expensive luxury watch. Personally I have a 'comfort' ceiling in relation to the price I will pay for a watch - and it's way below £13k, (and I'm not sure if that is fortunate or unfortunate - but probably the former).

Master
    What price or value do you put on pride of ownership. Does anyone with any self respect really feel at ease wearing a fake whatever.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm always astonished by the vast difference in price between two second hand watches of pretty well identical specifications. The second hand market just feels like an exercise in following the herd. When a crap fake of a popular watch is valued more highly than a crap fake of an unpopular one it just seems odd, especially when the second hand market can offer some seriously fine watches for £120.

Master
    How different we are. I'd rather have a real Rolex than a fake Seiko. Let's be real. I believe every WIS wants a nice , expensive watch. As long as you can afford one doing honest work. If you sell your kidney to buy one, that is a different story.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adirian View Post
    How different we are. I'd rather have a real Rolex than a fake Seiko. Let's be real. I believe every WIS wants a nice , expensive watch. As long as you can afford one doing honest work. If you sell your kidney to buy one, that is a different story.
    Maybe I'm not a WIS but having owned several Rolex sports watches, they have all gone and I am content with my SKX007 or mini turtle mod (for now at any rate...)

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Fair point !

QUOTE=anz3001;5156872]Just ‘thinking aloud’

Yesterday I was in Bulgaria looking at, amongst other snides, a fake ‘hulk’ for £120. Today I see a dealer has a real one up for £13,950.

Can’t decide which theoretical buyer is the bigger mug.[/QUOTE]

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Maybe I'm not a WIS but having owned several Rolex sports watches, they have all gone and I am content with my SKX007 or mini turtle mod (for now at any rate...)

So you owned one...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tom3949 View Post
    I suppose it's all about what you can afford and what makes you happy. Some people will only drink classed growth claret for example - and they just don't know what they're missing at Aldi! (Don't tell anyone but their £6.99 Stellenbosch is phenomenal).

Even I’ve become an Aldi convert

Personally. I buy what I can afford in life. If i can afford a Gucci suit and want one I’ll get it. If I can afford fancy restaurants and want to use them I will. If I can afford a Rolex and want one I’ll buy one.

What I won’t do is buy stuff in life that’s fake and makes me seem better off financially than I am. That to me makes me more fake than the fakes I’d be wearing.

If I can’t afford stuff I’ll find the best quality I can afford. Simple. It’s called living in your means and dreaming to better yourself. If it was as simple as buy the fake and feel as good life would be too easy. I’m firmly believe that good luxury things are earned and the earning of them is a huge part of the pleasure in owning them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I can remember fake rolex being about £10 in Spain. I'm currently in Spain on holiday and witnessed a couple haggling with a fake goods seller over a fake sub. He wanted €250, they were prepared to go to €100 but he wouldn't budge below €150. €150 for a fake that you won't be able to get fixed if it stops running is a fair chunk. I'd rather have a Seiko.

Master

Isn’t say definitely less risk in buying the fake one than the real one. Plus at 13,950 I’d imagine you wouldn’t even want to wear it due to risk of scratches/damage

Beat me too it. I’d be mad if I found one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    So you owned one...
    Not quite sure what you're getting at. I've owned and worn a Sub date, a Yachtmaster and an SD4K - all nice watches as every day wearers. I've also owned a couple of GS divers and four Seiko MM300s but I find I'm just as happy with the inexpensive Seikos (both of which keep very good time, are comfortable and have better lume than any other brand I've tried).

As things stand, I can't see me buying another expensive watch. Though not promising that I won't ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The fake buyer is the mug.

Not that its likely to be for sale ever as my dads taken a shine to it but I've had my hulk for a year and a half. I know if I put it in to the trade I'd make 4k.

For 120 I'd buy a cool watch like a seiko, g shock, weirdy timex. Not a hooky bit of poo that's gonna steam up and die shortly after purchase.

Who said anything about fake Seikos?

I had a red Sub and lost interest fairly quickly. With no quickset date it's a pain wearing it three or four days per month and having to set the date each time. I now have a 42mm Explorer 2 and wear my 6309-7040 more often. When Hulks were cheap I wasn't interested at all, now they're expensive I'm still not interested at all.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Not quite sure what you're getting at. I've owned and worn a Sub date, a Yachtmaster and an SD4K - all nice watches as every day wearers. I've also owned a couple of GS divers and four Seiko MM300s but I find I'm just as happy with the inexpensive Seikos (both of which keep very good time, are comfortable and have better lume than any other brand I've tried).

As things stand, I can't see me buying another expensive watch. Though not promising that I won't ;)

What I mean is that I believe that all of us want to have a nice, high end watch. If it's a keeper or you go back to cheaper ones it's not really important but at some point all of us want an expensive watch. At least that is my opinion.

Master
    Who said anything about fake Seikos?

I had a red Sub and lost interest fairly quickly. With no quickset date it's a pain wearing it three or four days per month and having to set the date each time. I now have a 42mm Explorer 2 and wear my 6309-7040 more often. When Hulks were cheap I wasn't interested at all, now they're expensive I'm still not interested at all.
    It was just a joke.
    My grail now is a Tudor Ranger, very expensive for my income at the moment. Maybe someday I'll get one but will probably get much more joy off wearing a Seiko or a Precista just because I won't have to worry too much about dings , scratches or losing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart67 View Post
    I can remember fake rolex being about £10 in Spain. I'm currently in Spain on holiday and witnessed a couple haggling with a fake goods seller over a fake sub. He wanted €250, they were prepared to go to €100 but he wouldn't budge below €150. €150 for a fake that you won't be able to get fixed if it stops running is a fair chunk. I'd rather have a Seiko.
    10 euros ? There's a guy on a local marketplace in Romania that sells fakes Rolexes for 600 euros. I cannot image what kind of people pay 600 for a "AAA replica"

Master
    Blog Entries
    What I mean is that I believe that all of us want to have a nice, high end watch. If it's a keeper or you go back to cheaper ones it's not really important but at some point all of us want an expensive watch. At least that is my opinion.
    Ahh- see what you mean. You're probably right that many/most will want a high end watch at some point but there are some of us that, having had them, retain an interest in watches, but no longer aspire to wearing a high end watch.

ATB

Jon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The fake buyer is the mug.

Not that its likely to be for sale ever as my dads taken a shine to it but I've had my hulk for a year and a half. I know if I put it in to the trade I'd make 4k.

For 120 I'd buy a cool watch like a seiko, g shock, weirdy timex. Not a hooky bit of poo that's gonna steam up and die shortly after purchase.
    That’s different, I’m talking about a £14k hulk. Unless you paid £14k but expect it to be worth £18k anytime soon.

At RRP or even slightly above, it’s not really controversial, just a simple buying process. The bit I find difficult is the rational behind anyone paying £14k for an £8k watch. I get the possibility of it being an appreciating asset plays a part for some but at that price it’s surely getting risky to view it that way. If you’re paying £14k to keep the watch, then it’s just as frivolous as buying a fake.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    That’s different, I’m talking about a £14k hulk. Unless you paid £14k but expect it to be worth £18k anytime soon.

At RRP or even slightly above, it’s not really controversial, just a simple buying process. The bit I find difficult is the rational behind anyone paying £14k for an £8k watch. I get the possibility of it being an appreciating asset plays a part for some but at that price it’s surely getting risky to view it that way. If you’re paying £14k to keep the watch, then it’s just as frivolous as buying a fake.
    RRP is totally meaningless, it is a price that is basically fiction.

When you last bought a tyre for your car, you almost certainly got a 50% discount without asking. Sometimes RRP is above the selling price and sometimes it is below it, but in most cases it is just splurb.

Blog Entries
    If you buy the fake you could lose £120.

If you buy the hulk you could lose £0 - £13,950 or make £13,950 - £??,???.

But if you want a hulk, you can only really buy one of them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    If you buy the hulk you could lose £0 - £13,950 or make £13,950 0 - £??,???.
    Isn't that what you meant? Being pedantic, I know.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a replica of each of my genuine.
    I love the style of each of my genuine watches, it’s why I buy them but there is a time and place in which I refuse to wear a £11,000 watch so I wear the fake.
    I wear my batman replica daily, the real one weekends as the industry I’m in would ruin it.
    I also couldn’t give a toss what people think about either, as I wear them for me and no one else.

Master
    No offense but isn't that just like humping some ugly skank just because you don't want to spoil your wife's pussy?

Craftsman
    No offense but isn't that just like humping some ugly skank just because you don't want to spoil your wife's pussy?
    I challenge you to tell the difference to tell the difference when it’s on my wrist at work.
    I was , and still are totally amazed at the work that has gone into the watch reproduction. Yes there are poor ones out there but these ones are frightening good.

And actually , thinking about it , that’s a good idea in keeping the wife’s bits in good nick.

Master
    ...what they're missing at Aldi! (Don't tell anyone but their £6.99 Stellenbosch is phenomenal).

If I learned nothing else from this thread I know where I'm wine shopping tomorrow.

Master
    It's not about people noticing you have a fake. It about you sporting a fake when you can wear the real deal. I would never do that but to each his own.

Also, I bet any wife wouldn't be happy with keeping her bits in good nick. Some things are to be used and abused :)

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post

Hit nail right on the head

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Personally. I buy what I can afford in life. If i can afford a Gucci suit and want one I’ll get it. If I can afford fancy restaurants and want to use them I will. If I can afford a Rolex and want one I’ll buy one.

What I won’t do is buy stuff in life that’s fake and makes me seem better off financially than I am. That to me makes me more fake than the fakes I’d be wearing.

If I can’t afford stuff I’ll find the best quality I can afford. Simple. It’s called living in your means and dreaming to better yourself. If it was as simple as buy the fake and feel as good life would be too easy. I’m firmly believe that good luxury things are earned and the earning of them is a huge part of the pleasure in owning them!

Well said.

Unfortunately we live in a time where consumerism is rife and to live beyond ones means is now the norm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    If I learned nothing else from this thread I know where I'm wine shopping tomorrow.
    Try their Argentinian Malbec as well.

;o)

(and this is coming from a self confessed wine snob who firmly believes that life is too short to drink cheap wine - unless you happen to stumble across the right bottle!).

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Well said.

Unfortunately we live in a time where consumerism is rife and to live beyond ones means is now the norm.

That’s a different issue, someone buying a fake isn’t putting themselves in debt.

Journeyman

Love Aldi!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Buying a fake is wrong.
    Apart from that the only mug is the person passing judgements on what others buy and ascribing motives without knowing the person.
    I would not buy above retail but if someone wants it badly enough and can afford it, more power to them. It may devalue in future but that may not matter to them and the loss incurred might be offset by the pleasure derived.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I’ve got a FAKE of each of my genuine.
    I love the style of each of my genuine watches, it’s why I buy them but there is a time and place in which I refuse to wear a £11,000 watch so I wear the fake.
    I wear my batman FAKE daily, the real one weekends as the industry I’m in would ruin it.
    I also couldn’t give a toss what people think about either, as I wear them for me and no one else.
    Corrected that for you

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I challenge you to tell the difference to tell the difference when it’s on my wrist at work.
    I was , and still are totally amazed at the work that has gone into the watch reproduction. Yes there are poor ones out there but these ones are frightening good.

And actually , thinking about it , that’s a good idea in keeping the wife’s bits in good nick.
    It's not actually about telling the difference. You may get away with a fake, you may get away with being unfaithful and you may get away with lying, but that's not the point. It's about who you are, not how you are perceived by others. You'd know and that should be all that matters.

I’ve got a replica of each of my genuine.
    I wear my batman replica daily, the real one weekends as the industry I’m in would ruin it.
    You may as well have saved the £11,000 and just stick with the fake if they’re that good and you have no issue wearing one!

It's not about people noticing you have a fake. It about you sporting a fake when you can wear the real deal. I would never do that but to each his own.
    I know where you are coming from and I have also done that but there is another aspect to fakes which is their tie up with drugs and other nefarious activities which makes it even more troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I know where you are coming from and I have also done that but there is another aspect to fakes which is their tie up with drugs and other nefarious activities which makes it even more troublesome.
    I guess I boils down to no matter how to build it up play it Down or whatever, buying fakes is supporting illegal activities. That for me is enough of a no no for it never to be considered.

Craftsman
    Try their Argentinian Malbec as well.

;o)

(and this is coming from a self confessed wine snob who firmly believes that life is too short to drink cheap wine - unless you happen to stumble across the right bottle!).
    LOL. some of the best affordable wine in both Lidl and Aldi

My favourite is the. Cote de Rhône village. Superb table wine at the money