closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Picard

Must be me but I kept thinking, come on get on with it.

Journeyman
    Getting going with this tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    watching it tonight but why not in 4K
    Yep, really looked forward to this, a bit 'slow' in parts, just hope it improves

Will have a go at watching it, sounds slow paced from the comments here and what I have read elsewhere "Picard departs from standard Starfleet protocol with a slower serialized story"

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Will have a go at watching it, sounds slow paced from the comments here and what I have read elsewhere "Picard departs from standard Starfleet protocol with a slower serialized story"
    It's not slower paced at all - it's just the days of 45 minutes and done are gone - all the Star Trek shows are now serials - so you aren't trying to get all the story done in between commercial breaks.

Master
    So: I watched it. I wasn't expecting to like it a lot but actually, I did. Very different in tone and style from TNG, but of course that was 30 years ago now and times have changed. I was a little dismayed when it turned into an action movie a few minutes in, but in the end that wasn't overdone. Even TNG had the odd action scene, albeit not as tightly choreographed or brutal as this one.

Steals ideas from Star Trek V and the Bourne franchise, but what goes around comes around. The future is a bit darker in this than in the TNG's version of the 24th century - there's even an inner city scene complete with graffiti. Actually I think this might be set shortly after the turn of the 25th century, not sure.

Was a bit disappointed with the picture quality actually, a lot more compressed than Netflix or the iPlayer for example. Perhaps there's a HD option I haven't discovered yet. I really only subscribe to Prime for the quick / free deliveries so the videos are a bonus anyway.

Blog Entries

SPOILER ALERT

Borg?

Master
    Very impressed so far. A good looking show with great photography and effects, and presented in a cinematic wide screen aspect ratio too. I watched it on a video projector normally reserved for movies, and will probably watch the rest that way, it holds up on a big screen. Amazing how these big budget streaming shows look these days, it’s a different world from the slightly home made look of ‘the next generation’.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post

Was a bit disappointed with the picture quality actually, a lot more compressed than Netflix or the iPlayer for example. Perhaps there's a HD option I haven't discovered yet. I really only subscribe to Prime for the quick / free deliveries so the videos are a bonus anyway.
    It is in HD but not 4K - because CBS does not offer a 4K service in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Borg?
    You'll have to wait for episode 2 to find out if Bjorn makes a zero G tennis comeback.

After Discovery I had an incling the series franchise direction wouldn't go back to that of the TNG and, instead, adopt the slow scene setting pace mixed with dizzy action sequences. Just wait until they get into space - though hopefully they'll leave the JJ lens flare behind!

Just finished watching it, really enjoyed it. Bit disappointed that I have to wait for the next as I can’t wait for the next.

The episode just seemed to end way too quick which must be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post

After Discovery I had an incling the series franchise direction wouldn't go back to that of the TNG
    Not really to do with discovery - TNG is 33 years old - they were never going back to a TNG type show because the industry has changed out of sight. The aim then was to make 45 episodes you could watch in largely any order and produce enough episodes for syndication. The aim now is to get you to pay the streaming fees every month...

It would be like when they made TNG in 1987, they made it resemble a show from 1957..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It is in HD but not 4K - because CBS does not offer a 4K service in the US.
    I'll try a different browser then, because it was substantially lower than DVD quality for me.

Craftsman
    Watched episode 1 on Amazon last night. Enjoyed so far

Craftsman
    A good start, enjoyable and moves along at a good pace.

I suspect those that thought it slow are used to watching clips of stuff on their ipads and do not have the patience to sit down and concentrate on just one thing?

I am very much looking forward to the next episode.

Master
    Is it next week yet?

I watched it with a little trepidation - however it was excellent.

Looking forward to the next one.

Before going any further; I'm a TNG fanboy through and through. I wasn't bothered with DS9 but I loved Voyager. I used to love the sort of moral dilemmas that were posed in TNG and Voyager.

I just started into Discovery and now Picard. So I feel like I'm in my teens again (in my mid 40's).

I'm really looking forward to these new Trekkie chapters.

A bit underwhelmed to be honest. A bit of a nod to Blade Runner, Picard looking very old and mumbling, flashbacks to Data who looked as he suffered from mumps.

I will continue to watch, just to see 7 of 9, and in the hope it improves.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A bit underwhelmed to be honest. A bit of a nod to Blade Runner, Picard looking very old and mumbling, flashbacks to Data who looked as he suffered from mumps.

Have to admit, i don't think there could be two sci-fi programmes so far apart as star trek and blade runner!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Have to admit, i don't think there could be two sci-fi programmes so far apart as star trek and blade runner!

Replicants.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    The first episode made me think of Bladerunner too. But mainly because it's more of a slow-burn mystery thriller type of setup than the monster-of-the-week style of Trek. I see it as a continuation of the DS9-style longer-running story arcs, but brought more up to date & hopefully less of the filler that came with pre-streaming 24+ episode seasons. It remains to be seen if it will evolve into the kind of grand scope of DS9, or if it will remain more character-focused like the first episode. I suspect it'll be a bit of both. Not long to go until we find out a lot more about the direction it's going.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Just watched the second episode. A bit disappointing. Slower than the first, so anyone who found that boring won't be won over. I appreciate that they need to do some world building in the early episodes, but I feel like despite their allusions to Asimov, the plot they are developing so far is less Asimov/Bladerunner and more like the Da Vinci Code. I hope it improves as it develops.

FWIW, I watched the first episode again the other day because I really liked that one, in spite of some questionable sci-fi MacGuffins that I was initially willing to overlook. I might now wait until some more episodes come out and binge them together, in case it really takes them a while to get going. I really hope they don't go the full JJ Abrams route of "the plot is completely arbitrary and nothing makes any sense" that Discovery followed. That is not sci-fi, in spite of the common misclassification as such.

Watched the 2nd episode today and found it interesting, will definitely continue watching.

Master
    Anybody else notice the cuddly Ewok toy in the androids bedroom scene?

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Just watched the second episode. A bit disappointing. Slower than the first, so anyone who found that boring won't be won over. I appreciate that they need to do some world building in the early episodes, but I feel like despite their allusions to Asimov, the plot they are developing so far is less Asimov/Bladerunner and more like the Da Vinci Code. I hope it improves as it develops.

FWIW, I watched the first episode again the other day because I really liked that one, in spite of some questionable sci-fi MacGuffins that I was initially willing to overlook. I might now wait until some more episodes come out and binge them together, in case it really takes them a while to get going. I really hope they don't go the full JJ Abrams route of "the plot is completely arbitrary and nothing makes any sense" that Discovery followed. That is not sci-fi, in spite of the common misclassification as such.
    I think it may benefit from binge watching as not much happened in episode 2. I hope it has a few more twists and turns because it looks a bit formulaic at the moment.

Not had the time to watch any of these yet, really looking forward to it though. TNG was always a firm favourite when I was younger.

erm watched the first 2, it's OK just about so far, if a bit silly in a couple of areas, will give it a little longer to see if it improves.

It’s ok but i feel it would come across better if it could be binge watched, audiences have to be really engaged to seek out new episodes especially if they are not completely into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be needing this to go with the show!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    A bit underwhelmed to be honest. Picard looking very old and mumbling,
    Maybe that is because Huddersfield Town were relegated and are struggling now.

pretty much my thoughts after watching the first episode , i really wish some of these ancient actors would either retire or choose suitable roles for their age group - picard looks like he should be in a care home.

.....kinda reminded me of this

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    i really wish some of these ancient actors would either retire or choose suitable roles for their age group - picard looks like he should be in a care home.
    Whatever else might be wrong with this series, I disagree with this part. In fact this is why I previously mentioned the interview scene from the first episode.

"You thought I was a frail old man, didn't you?"

"Acting."

Whatever else might be wrong with this series, I disagree with this part. In fact this is why I previously mentioned the interview scene from the first episode.

"You thought I was a frail old man, didn't you?"

"Acting."
    patrick stewart is 79 yrs old- not exactly a spring chicken , just means he doesnt have to 'act' as much imo - though we all have our own views , i said a similar thing about the film 'the irishman ' where di niros 'action' scenes were laughable due to his age.

* for me patrick stewarts last good series was'blunt talk' - which was a different role for him but i think he played well

Last edited by pugster; 7th February 2020 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    patrick stewart is 79 yrs old- not exactly a spring chicken
    True, and you do notice his physical age at times, especially when they show his hands close up. However, there's a big difference between the mannerisms of a tired old man who has given up and lost interest in the world outside his vineyard, and Jean-Luc Picard. Made me think of the Christopher Reeve masterclass in body language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUu6Lf9mVU&t=1m25s

In the same way that Christopher Reeve is and will always be Superman, Patrick Stewart is Jean-Luc Picard. I am enjoying the skill with which he can just turn that on and off.

True, and you do notice his physical age at times, especially when they show his hands close up. However, there's a big difference between the mannerisms of a tired old man who has given up and lost interest in the world outside his vineyard, and Jean-Luc Picard. Made me think of the Christopher Reeve masterclass in body language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNUu6Lf9mVU&t=1m25s

In the same way that Christopher Reeve is and will always be Superman, Patrick Stewart is Jean-Luc Picard. I am enjoying the skill with which he can just turn that on and off.

Agreed.

That scene with Reeve is just perfect.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Just watched episodes 2 and 3 back to back and enjoyed being able to do so. Think I'll continue to watch them in chunks like that. It brought a huge smile to my face when Picard said "Engage" at the end of the episode.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Just watched them over the last few days - very good.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I am three episodes in and as a die hard Next Generation fan, honestly I am pretty disappointed. It’s just not the show I hoped it would be at all. I will obviously continue to watch in the hope the story develops and of course the story arc in search of Maddox to find out more about Data really appeals to me.. but overall, would just rather they had left Picard in retirement in his chateau.

It also pains me to say but I think Patrick Stewart has lost a bit of his acting chops in his old age. I am not trying to take anything away from an incredible man who has had an incredible career and who played / plays probably, for me, one of the most iconic and personally important TV roles of all time.. but there is a sort of awkwardness in a lot of the scenes.. he just isn’t clicking for me as Picard any more. He had it all the way through TNG and of course the movies too but.. I think he is just a little past it now as horrible as that is to say. Either that or the script and the actors he is working against just aren’t clicking for him. Am sure when we see him reunited with other TNG cast members the chemistry will be absolutely blindingly apparent :)
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 8th February 2020 at 01:37.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I am three episodes in and as a die hard Next Generation fan, honestly I am pretty disappointed. It’s just not the show I hoped it would be at all. I will obviously continue to watch in the hope the story develops and of course the story arc in search of Maddox to find out more about Data really appeals to me.. but overall, would just rather they had left Picard in retirement in his chateau.
    TNG was about and was made of made of the whole cast. Without the ensemble, this wasn't going to be the same. I'm by no means a TNG enthusiast, so willingly acknowledge that your opinion is at least as valid as mine, but I think it's a realistic portrayal of an older, wiser and more downbeat Picard. It's just such a shame that he doesn't look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'll try a different browser then, because it was substantially lower than DVD quality for me.
    I thought it was the best non 4k i have seen on netflix... though i am watching on a 4k tv (from a appletv) so it will be being upscaled.... but to me it looks stunning !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    TNG was about and was made of made of the whole cast. Without the ensemble, this wasn't going to be the same. I'm by no means a TNG enthusiast, so willingly acknowledge that your opinion is at least as valid as mine, but I think it's a realistic portrayal of an older, wiser and more downbeat Picard. It's just such a shame that he doesn't look like this:

Yeah that would have been kinda cool :) I do like at least in the most recent episode, the reference to what might be his Irimodic Syndrome, suggesting that the timelines in All Good Things still apply to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

It also pains me to say but I think Patrick Stewart has lost a bit of his acting chops in his old age. I am not trying to take anything away from an incredible man who has had an incredible career and who played / plays probably, for me, one of the most iconic and personally important TV roles of all time.. but there is a sort of awkwardness in a lot of the scenes.. he just isn’t clicking for me as Picard any more. He had it all the way through TNG and of course the movies too but.. I think he is just a little past it now as horrible as that is to say. Either that or the script and the actors he is working against just aren’t clicking for him. Am sure when we see him reunited with other TNG cast members the chemistry will be absolutely blindingly apparent :)
    Interesting perspective.

I was expecting something very different, so this is fulfilling my expectations so far - and I was and am a STTNG fan first and foremost.

I am enjoying it greatly so far, and even though the pace is quite slow, I don't mind that and I expect it to start accelerating now that the scene has been set.

I think Stewart is playing as an old, retired, disilusioned Picard, and that a key story element is going to be how he rediscovers the great man he once was. Expect Stewart (who is one of the best actors of any generation) to subtly change the acting as the character develops again.

So far I feel they have taken the right, mature, approach with this. It could never be TNG again, so they haven't aimed to do that.

But tell me you didn't get a shiver at the end of the episode when he said "Engage" and the familiar music kicked in...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    But tell me you didn't get a shiver at the end of the episode when he said "Engage" and the familiar music kicked in...
    Absolutely. Shivers down the spine at the music. I think this is going to be a slow burn and I like it that way. Patrick Stewart is and always will be Jean-Luc Picard. Picard is now an old man and PS is playing it as such. Agree with one of the previous posters that we should expect to see the character grow and become more like we remember him from TNG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I certainly got the shivers to an extent in the first episode, to see Data again, and to see a beautifully re-rendered NCC-1701-D albeit briefly.. that just put such a huge smile on my face. I think by the time we got to 'Engage!' in episode 3 I was feeling so disappointed that I would have needed more to warm back up again. I will of course keep watching however but.. yeah.. I guess I'm just not so much the target audience.

Master
    Surely PS or JLP is playing the part as directed? not down to his age or ability. Ok, now we have had ‘engage’ it’s time for 7 of 9.

Bear in mind he is playing a character in his early 90s!

Watched episode 3 today, I’ll still keep on watching. Yes the build up has been slow but I can see it picking up speed rapidly now.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Absolutely. Shivers down the spine at the music. I think this is going to be a slow burn and I like it that way. Patrick Stewart is and always will be Jean-Luc Picard. Picard is now an old man and PS is playing it as such. Agree with one of the previous posters that we should expect to see the character grow and become more like we remember him from TNG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think this is actually the main story arc - how Picard rediscovers himself and becomes THE Jean Luc Picard once more.

Stewart is such a fine actor, I expect the journey to be compelling.