closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Are You Sleeping Tonight?

How Are You Sleeping Tonight?

The thermometer in the garden is reading 25 degC at 11.15pm tonight. The bedroom is easily 5 degC hotter.

Think I’m going to dig a camp bed out and sleep in the garden tonight.

Thunderstorms forecast here tonight so hopefully that'll things cool down a bit. It's really muggy at the moment

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Not

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    It is as hot as s**t tonight.

[IMG][/IMG]
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Took the duvet out of the cover and a fan at the end of the bed.

even though im originally from the highlands of Scotland I have spent quite a bit of time in desert/tropical areas Middle East, central Australia and currently in lower Canada where its in the 30s at the moment too. some of my tips below if they help...

1. think about moving where you sleep? is the bedroom the coolest part of the house?
    2. a cool shower before bed to reduce your body temp right away (I have seen some old fellas in Moomba soak their feet in icy water to get their temp down before they turn in.
    3. strip your bedding down to a minimum, no mattress protector, no duvet, no pillow cases or huge heavy pillows and minimal clothing as little as your modesty will permit. all these just trap air and warm it up for you!
    4. if you don't have air-con (not common in the UK) if you can keep a window open and prop a fan so it is blowing OUT the window this can has a cooling effect if you set it up an hour or so before bed.
    5. big basin of ice water at foot of bed and a fan blowing across it (not very effective but better than nothing)

I would say of them all the first 3 are most effective. if its just a few nights then why not sleep in the kitchen if its the coolest room? I've slept in plenty of basements in my time:)

hope this offers some help to folks.

Typed from Kelowna British Columbia, in the basement no less :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m not, even rooms that are normally cold are mad hot tonight.

The mrs has kicked me out of bed so i’m In the coolish spare room.

Now it starting to resemble a proper summer, may long it last
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by TAG0001 View Post
    Not
    Indeed - as per the OP and all other posters!

+1

Or as my Casio puts it +26C ........... too hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    +1

Or as my Casio puts it +26C ........... too hot!
    My Casio's getting 26.6 - never calibrated it though...if that's even possible on Protreks

Having the most amazing light show down here....never seen anything like it. Wind has picked up and the skies very heavy, funny feeling were in for some wet stuff anytime soon.

You guys are obviously having it easy (I'm the only one still up?), I've been awake until 3am the past 3 nights. Anything above 15c and I struggle (being a Scot who never puts the heating on). Thank goodness for my Kindle and those sheep ...

Any chance of drifting off to sleep with just a sheet over me, and the fan turned up to 11, has ended given the most massive lighting and thunderstorm is approaching.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    No sleep for me. Watching the spectacular thunder storm in the distance in Essex.

B

Master
    Sitting wandering the internet at 2.15, too warm to sleep and her snoring was getting to me, must stay away from eBay, tiredness promotes impulse buys I’ll regret.

Master
    Well I’m posting this at 03:25 and no, I’m not working a night shift.

Under the ceiling fan with the A/C on for a couple of hours . It’s still 83f (28c) and 81% humidity at 10.45 pm here - you bunch of amateurs.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Massive Thunderstorm at 2am which cooled the temp somewhat, with the fan on very pleasant now

PS We had a lot of rain as well
    Last edited by hilly10; 24th July 2019 at 05:05.

So glad we have air conditioning

Craftsman
    Got my air con installed a few weeks ago, worth every penny when it's this hot!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    even though im originally from the highlands of Scotland I have spent quite a bit of time in desert/tropical areas Middle East, central Australia and currently in lower Canada where its in the 30s at the moment too. some of my tips below if they help...

1. think about moving where you sleep? is the bedroom the coolest part of the house?
    2. a cool shower before bed to reduce your body temp right away (I have seen some old fellas in Moomba soak their feet in icy water to get their temp down before they turn in.
    3. strip your bedding down to a minimum, no mattress protector, no duvet, no pillow cases or huge heavy pillows and minimal clothing as little as your modesty will permit. all these just trap air and warm it up for you!
    4. if you don't have air-con (not common in the UK) if you can keep a window open and prop a fan so it is blowing OUT the window this can has a cooling effect if you set it up an hour or so before bed.
    5. big basin of ice water at foot of bed and a fan blowing across it (not very effective but better than nothing)

I would say of them all the first 3 are most effective. if its just a few nights then why not sleep in the kitchen if its the coolest room? I've slept in plenty of basements in my time:)

hope this offers some help to folks.

Typed from Kelowna British Columbia, in the basement no less :)
    Great tips here! One of my favourites is to take a bedsheet and properly soak it in cool water. After soaking just wring it dry by hand and use it as a blanket.

39c and all ac units on
    Must be cool for me in London

Grand Master
    RIAC

Just woken up after a very good nights sleep, no a/c and just a fan on in the bedroom.

I like the heat.

In fact the fan was on at the insistence of Mrs V - I would have happily done without it.

Its somewhat ironic that I'm from the far north of England and love heat (cant bear being cold) and Mrs V who is from tropical climes is exactly the opposite.
    Last edited by Velorum; 24th July 2019 at 07:43. Reason: spelling

No sympathy for any of you. I’ve spent too many summers in Malta. But can’t believe people are even mentioning duvets. Bollicock-naked with just a cotton sheet is the way to go.

Best light show I've ever seen last night. No noise. Spooky.

We cycled 10 miles to the beach mid afternoon, had a swim and a laze, cycled back about 9pm. Cold shower outside, garden hose, at dusk, no it's not overlooked! No problem sleeping. I love this temperature.

Master
    You bunch of snowflakes - missed a few night sleep? boo hoo. ( I’m retired though)

We live in an old house, with very thick walls, so consequently it isn't too bad at the moment.

I learned years ago that the key is keeping the heat out as much as possible. Keep all curtains closed throughout the day, open windows on the shadeed side of the house if you can, then close as the sun tracks, and open on the ther side.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    must stay away from eBay, tiredness promotes impulse buys I’ll regret.
    A mate told me he'd fallen asleep whilst on E bay with his mobile in his hand. He woke up to learn he'd just bought an item for £5k!!😮

All the aforementioned apply in regards to heat and thunderstorms, but add in to the mix two lovely sweet Siamese Kittens and being rudely awoken to the sound of breaking glass where the little angels had been playing on the kitchen worktops where I'd foolishly left a glass over-night. So queue naked vacuuming in the wee hours also; bloody fantastic! I shall probably be slumped over my desk in 30 minutes time.

Master
    Misery in NW Leics. Too hot to sleep and epic lightning flashes, accompanied with loud rumbles and bangs for what seemed like hours. I think it probably was.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Misery in NW Leics. Too hot to sleep and epic lightning flashes, accompanied with loud rumbles and bangs for what seemed like hours. I think it probably was.
    Same county as me. 02:15 I was stood in the back bedroom watching the lightening and wierd intermittent thunder. Amazing to see.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Bedroom windows open 24/7 at the moment however my strategy for sleep is as follows..
    1) Head up to bed later
    2) No duvet
    3) read until eyes start wobbling
    4) fall asleep until hydraulic pressure forces you to get up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cold shower before bed. Slept on a bath towel on top of the duvet wearing a pair of swimming shorts.

Oh, and the dyson tower fan blowing across my feet.

Slept like a log until the 04:30 alarm.

Too hot in Suffolk, have a good fan in bedroom which I find a godsend but the missus hates, dog was on and off the bed all night as she hates thunder and needs serious Dad protection.

The storm hasn't cleared the air though, still scorchio

"Slept" for maybe 3hrs total last night, woken intermittently by the thunderstorms in Essex. My alarm will be going off at 4.20am for work tomorrow as it did for today, I hope to God I get more sleep tonight... I slept on the duvet with a thin cotton sheet over me and right under the open windows in an attempt to catch some breeze.

I'm not a fan of hot weather, anything over mid 20s during the day is a waste IMO. If it's just enough to get my shorts out then that'll do, this 30deg plus is just unnecessary!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Absolutely spot on Kerry all this bitching about a little heat,then it will be the cold, rain,snow,ad bloody infinitum.
    Just look after the pets my dogs are all stretched out in the lounge windows open for airflow and and a fan oscillating to hot to walk them even on the beach.
    Last edited by mart broad; 24th July 2019 at 10:04.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    "Slept" for maybe 3hrs total last night, woken intermittently by the thunderstorms in Essex. My alarm will be going off at 4.20am for work tomorrow as it did for today, I hope to God I get more sleep tonight... I slept on the duvet with a thin cotton sheet over me and right under the open windows in an attempt to catch some breeze.

I'm not a fan of hot weather, anything over mid 20s during the day is a waste IMO. If it's just enough to get my shorts out then that'll do, this 30deg plus is just unnecessary!
    Don't sleep on the duvet! Just get rid of it

Balcony bi-fold doors open; two Dyson fans blowing across the bed, one from each side and with 2 x 1.5ltr frozen water bottles in front of them. Aside from waking for the amazing light and sound show we, thankfully, managed a good night's sleep.

Journeyman
    Sealey portable air conditioning unit. Great job, generally lowered the room temp by about 5 degrees or so.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563...fier-9000btuhr

It's normal temp range stuff compared to out here, obviously we're better set up to cope/ partially acclimated, though generally we get a couple of months through July and August of fairly continuous 30 degree plus weather. Ac for an 1'2 hour/ an hour at bedtime then ceiling fan all night, no problems. Wouldn't want to have to go to work/ do anything arduous in this kind of heat though and built up areas/town or city is at best a limited or avoided antirely... we visited the Alhambra on Sunday, having a guest to entertain, but frankly it was a feat of endurance despite the beauty of the gardens/palace.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Don't sleep on the duvet! Just get rid of it
    Fair point!

Blog Entries
    Answering the OP's question: yes, no problem.
    Around midnight a cool shower before hitting the bed an off I went - until 6:30 this morning. Yesterday was the hottest 23rd of July on history here in Holland. More to come today and tomorrow: for the first time ever, official forecasts mention 40C! The old all-time-high record is from August 23, 1944: 38,6C. Almost 75 yrs old!

Having said that: my bedroom faces north-east and there are high trees between the sun in the morning and my bedroom window. That takes away a lot of the heat. My youngest has a room in the attic. Well, that's a different matter. We bought him a portable airco and that's working 24/7 at the moment. He was happy to go to work for his holiday job: "It's a cool 20C there in the shop!"

EDIT: a mate sent me a short WhatsApp vid from Fatehpur Sikri in Uttar Pradesh, India. He's there on holiday. Temps are the same as here, but it;s monsoon-time there. So the sky is clouded and it feels like -according to his words- "wearing a soaking wet bathrope in front of a fire place..., but hey am here on my own free will, so I can not and will not complain!"
    Last edited by thieuster; 24th July 2019 at 11:10.

Master
    I’m heading out, things to do, roof down on the car, air con at my feet, might try sitting in the car for 1/2 hour before bed?

Master
    I have a fever at the moment and had a temperature of 39.7c and the shivers when I went to bed last night. The sheets were absolutely soaking this morning so I reckon I must have sweated out a few pints!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Thats fine but I don't get paid for being this effing hot.

Meanwhile, Mrs Alpha4 slept under a sheet, a duvet and two blankets last night (I just had the sheet on me). Plus, she heard nothing of the of the very loud thunderstorm. Her = . Me =.

My wife was wearing two layers of clothes in bed last night. I think she's worried about something. The boy's room was 28C, and our room is in the sun for much longer in the afternoon and into the evening. Aircon will be a serious consideration come January.
    "A man of little significance"