closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Black Bay 58 - Alternatives?

Master

Tudor Black Bay 58 - Alternatives?

Having sold a few watches to fund the purchase of a BB58 & been searching / on the waiting list for a while - I am just curious if anyone thinks there are any alternative watches out there for similar money?

Some of the reasons behind my choice of the BB58 are (in no particular order) :-
    • 39mm size - perfect for me.
    • 70hr Power Reserve
    • Silicon Hairspring - my mechanical watches seem to get magnetised very quickly when worn at work!
    • Quality - great Tudor finish
    • Vintage Diver Style - I am a sucker for diver watches
    • Versatility - suits a lot of straps & can be deressed up or down.
    • Value - seems to be a great deal of watch for the money

Any suggestions for an alternative watch that ticks most of these boxes?
    Or any BB58 owners out there who disagree with my reasoning, based on actually owning & wearing the watch?
    All opinions welcome.

Master
    Oris Diver 65 but you won't get the power reserve or silicon hairspring. I actually prefer the look of the Oris and it wears very nicely.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a 58 and all your reasoning is spot on, I’d also add that the time keeping is excellent too.

I’d follow your original thinking and search one out.

Don’t settle. If a BB58 is what you want, that’s what you should get.
    Be patient and keep the faith. I have one and it’s spoiled me for other watches to be honest.

There’s a one month old BB58 for sale on SC. Appreciate you’re new so won’t have access but the seller does post on this part of the forum too

There is one on SC now... Boring_sandwich is selling it and has had it a month, no more.
    Would be a great watch plus maybe ask his opinion on the thing?

It would almost be my favorite watch but for lack of a date - cannot stand a watch without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your reasoning is spot on. I only picked mine up at the weekend but I love it. If I were you I’d carry on looking.

I bought mine new and it was a very fortunate find, having been looking at something else entirely, mentioning I’d be very interested in a BB58 and being told one ‘might’ be available shortly. A week later it was on my wrist!

So, they are out there and having now got one, it really is worth hunting out/the wait. I guess new ownership means I’m biased but I also have a BBB which I like a lot. This is a completely different though and very, very lovely thing. It’s definitely gone right to the top of my favourite watches list.

Love mine - I got very lucky in November with a call less than a week if going on the list. I'd tried on one on the strap but wanted the bracelet. Strap wasn't much good.

All your reasons are good & at least to me it seems this is the watch you want. Don't settle for something else if you are able to wait & justify the cost.

Been wearing mine today

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Ginault Ocean Rover. Only problem is you'll have to pay a lot less ;)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Go for the BB58, I’ve got one and can’t wait to wear it on my wedding day! Not wearing u TIL to make it that more special

Master
    Have a look at the Oris Sixty-Five as well:

https://www.oris.ch/en/collection/oris-divers

I think they offer excellent value for money and a classic design.

Master
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Prior to raising funds, sitting on a waiting list wasn't an issue for me - now that I've sold some watches & am ready to buy, I guess I'm getting a bit impatient!
    Your replies have helped reassure me that I am going for the right watch & will be worth the wait.

I have previously checked out the Oris Sixty Five & really like the watch, but to me it just doesn't seem to have the wrist presence / quality of the BB58 - it is a fair bit cheaper though!

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Go for the BB58, I’ve got one and can’t wait to wear it on my wedding day! Not wearing u TIL to make it that more special
    Make sure you gaze at your new wife at least as much as you do at your new watch!
    Best of luck.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ENES View Post
    Having sold a few watches to fund the purchase of a BB58 & been searching / on the waiting list for a while - I am just curious if anyone thinks there are any alternative watches out there for similar money?

Some of the reasons behind my choice of the BB58 are (in no particular order) :-
    • 70hr Power Reserve
    • Silicon Hairspring - my mechanical watches seem to get magnetised very quickly when worn at work!

Or any BB58 owners out there who disagree with my reasoning, based on actually owning & wearing the watch?
    All opinions welcome.
    If I was in your position I would save for a little longer to buy a Submariner. Chances are that is where your journey will take you so best to head straight to the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    If I was in your position I would save for a little longer to buy a Submariner. Chances are that is where your journey will take you so best to head straight to the destination.
    Interested to know your rational behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Vintage diver style, versatile on a range of leather straps and good value for money, how could the answer be anything other than a six digit Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Vintage diver style, versatile on a range of leather straps and good value for money, how could the answer be anything other than a six digit Sub?
    £££

Can consider the NTH Barracuda Vintage- similar aesthetics, going on sale on 26 July

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    To counter this, I've recently sold a SubC and will be getting a BB58 (just awaiting its arrival at AD). I've got myself a Tudor GMT too since selling the submariner.

The waitlist alone would scupper the plan. Unless you're talking used.

The value of the BB58 is very very good IMO

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Guy asks for opinions on alternatives of similar value.... “r0WLeCKs!1”.

There are alternatives to most watches but if money is not an issue then the BB58 is a great watch in its own right and fulfils all the criteria you mentioned. I wear mine on the NATO strap - due to the case size, thickness/weight and NATO, it's probably the most comfortable watch I've ever owned. You didn't mention Submariner in your OP so there's no reason to believe that the BB58 is a compromise for you. The non-date Sub and BB58 don't really resemble each other and wear differently. I would say the BB58 is much closer to a 5513. Anyway, just get the BB58!

• 70hr Power Reserve

All opinions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    To counter this, I've recently sold a SubC and will be getting a BB58 (just awaiting its arrival at AD). I've got myself a Tudor GMT too since selling the submariner.

The waitlist alone would scupper the plan. Unless you're talking used.

The value of the BB58 is very very good IMO
    Agreed as having had a Sub ND and a BB58 I would take the BB58 every time over the Submariner.

Better value for money with equally the same quality in a nicer sized case, what’s not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Can consider the NTH Barracuda Vintage- similar aesthetics, going on sale on 26 July

The proportions there of dial to bezel don't remind me of many vintage divers....

• 70hr Power Reserve

All opinions welcome.
    I have had my BB58 about 6 months. For me it ticks the same boxes that you set out above.

I certainly don’t view it as a halfway house solution compared to a Submariner. I can see the logic in someone having a 114060 as well as, not instead of a BB58. However I would take a BB58 in preference to a 14060M any day of the week.

For me, if you have a liking for dive watches (and who doesn't), the BB58 hits a very sweet spot indeed, offering a balance of perfect size, great design, excellent movement & build quality that is hard to better at that new price point.

As an owner of both an ETA Black Bay and an 114060 Submariner, I think the latter is the better watch, but the gap between the two is not as wide as might be suggested by their respective RRPs, and that gap is closed even further by the BB58, which brings yet more to the table.

Arguably, the vintage-inspired design of the Black Bay also makes it a more fun, rewarding & interesting everyday wear.

Silicone HS and 70hrs PR will be a tough find I think....

It seems so many brands (‘micro’ and otherwise) have a vintage diver these days....

I really wanted a BB when they first came out (and I much prefer the look of the 58)

But I ‘scratched the itch’ with a MKii Kingston and haven’t really looked back....

DSCF1409_v1 by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Had mine now for 2-3 weeks. Apart from 2 or 3 evenings wearing the Panerai & daily bike commute to work with the G Shock. It’s all I’ve been wearing. Cracking watch and can’t see me wearing anything else for a long time. I did have to wait for it to come in stock & was getting impatient at the end (see my original PSA thread) but the original AD I visited sourced one (close to a year) but I believe they are coming through more & more. Great VFM, and not much out their IMHO that competes or beats it. Mines on a bracelet (seems to me marking easy & the only downfall so far) will look to pick up a nato when funds allow (Tudor one). October time I will take possession temporarily of my dads Sub date circa 95 & will compare the BB58 to this. Maybe wait and see what the new Bond Seamaster will be, seems to be a vintage style SMPc looking at the filming.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I looked at other watches at a similar price point, mainly the other black bays, Pelagos, Tudor heritage chrono, Seamaster ceramic, but kept returning to the BB58. This was without trying one on (as couldn’t find one anywhere).

The specifications of the BB58 suggested it would be perfect for my 6.5inch wrists, so didn’t want to pull the trigger on the other options as they all felt a little large on wrist.

I had an idea of the build quality and aesthetics based on the other Tudor models, so hung on and waited patiently after being put on the list.

Well, yesterday I got the call and I am blown away. It melted on my wrist in comparison to the other options and I am pleased I didn’t settle for anything else.

In a nutshell my advice is hold out, they do seem to come through and are worth it in my opinion.

Excellent write up, and looks great.

How does it feel in comparison to the GMT?

Journeyman
    I'd echo what others have said - don't settle if you have your eyes on the BB58. That said, here is an alternative that not many people would consider. The new Rado Captain Cook limited. I think it looks brilliant!
    37.5 mm diameter. 80 hour power reserve (ETA). Domed sapphire crystal. Oh and it's much cheaper. If you like the vintage vibes with a bit of heritage then this should be on the list along with the Oris. Rado are quite under rated these days.

Hodinkee did a value proposition article recently on it. Deserves more love I think.
    Last edited by tcy148; 24th July 2019 at 17:40. Reason: Posted wrong picture

Tudor Black Bay 58 - Alternatives?

Excellent write up, and looks great.

How does it feel in comparison to the GMT?
    Strikingly different to wear, the case size is excellent for the smaller wrist.

Once you’re wearing it you almost forget you’ve got it on.

If they ever release a GMT in the same proportions I’ll be first in the queue.

Master
    I've tried on the Rado and it's a nice looking watch. The only thing I didn't like was the braclet.

It's incredible how much better look of the 58 works compared to the original Black Bay. I did like the original but next to this it looks really out of proportion. I must admit I didn't really see the point when the 58 was first announced but now I think it's a modern classic and makes the price of a sub look even more ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Strikingly different to wear, the case size is excellent for the smaller wrist.

Once you’re wearing it you almost forget you’ve got it on.

If they ever release a GMT in the same proportions I’ll be first in the queue.

Thanks - looking forward to getting mine, and interesting comparisons. Having a smaller wrist myself it may be the right one for me (loving the GMT at the moment though)

Thanks - looking forward to getting mine, and interesting comparisons. Having a smaller wrist myself it may be the right one for me (loving the GMT at the moment though)
    The GMT is excellent in it’s own right. I look forward to getting your opinion on the 58, hopefully soon.

Master
    Thanks again for all the input & views on the BB58 + other alternatives.

My mind has been made up now - primarily because I am typing this post with a brand new (still stickerrd up) Tudor Black Bay 58 on my left wrist!

A massive stroke of luck this afternoon, meant that a friend gave me the chance to take up the purchase of his watch after receiving a call from the AD today!
    Needless to say I jumped at the chance & can't believe my luck - I owe that man a large drink!!
    I rarely wear watches on a bracelet as they don't really work that well on my skinny wrist, but this watch looks/feels so good on the bracelet.

Congrats. Good choice, enjoy and post pics!

• 70hr Power Reserve

All opinions welcome.
    Yema superman heritage

My mind has been made up now - primarily because I am typing this post with a brand new (still stickerrd up) Tudor Black Bay 58 on my left wrist!

A massive stroke of luck this afternoon, meant that a friend gave me the chance to take up the purchase of his watch after receiving a call from the AD today!
    Needless to say I jumped at the chance & can't believe my luck - I owe that man a large drink!!
    I rarely wear watches on a bracelet as they don't really work that well on my skinny wrist, but this watch looks/feels so good on the bracelet.
    Well done and enjoy.

Excellent! Enjoy

Master
    Blog Entries

Result. Seems the 58 is becoming a bit of a forum favourite.

Excellent news. The BB58 fan club grows once more

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Congrats. Good choice, enjoy and post pics!

A quick pic - still sporting the stickers!
    Really liking the watch so far & feeling very fortunate to pick one up this week

I really like the bracelet - but was always my intention to switch the bracelet out for another strap - possibly Nato or rubber.
    I might still change my mind on this - but how easy is it to remove the bracelet from the BB58?
    Seems fairly tight on tolerances & access to the spring bars is pretty small.
    I have a decent Bergeon spring bar tool & can tape up the lugs, but don't want to go scratching my new watch.
    Any advice on removing & refitting the bracelet would be gratefully received.
    If not too problematic I can try a few different strap options to see if I should stick with the bracelet or not.

The OEM NATO straps are available from Rolex at £130 ish from memory.
    I also believe Rubber B will soon be releasing a variety of straps for the 58.

Really liking the watch so far & feeling very fortunate to pick one up this week

I really like the bracelet - but was always my intention to switch the bracelet out for another strap - possibly Nato or rubber.
    I might still change my mind on this - but how easy is it to remove the bracelet from the BB58?
    I have a decent Bergeon spring bar tool & can tape up the lugs, but don't want to go scratching my new watch.
    If not too problematic I can try a few different strap options to see if I should stick with the bracelet or not.
    Always daunting the first strap change on a new watch. Personally I intend to stick with the bracelet for a while as it’s fantastic. The OEM nato looks great too though!

Master
    Not sure how much rubber b will be for a Tudor but check out crafter blue straps. Good quality and decent price

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Not sure how much rubber b will be for a Tudor but check out crafter blue straps. Good quality and decent price
    Crafter Blue haven’t released a rubber to fit the 58. Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I picked up the OEM Nato a couple of days ago. Really didn’t want to damage the lugs so just got the AD to do,it for me.

I really, really like the bracelet but the NATO brings a very different and pretty awesome look to the BB58.

Don’t get me started on the price though....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Well done.

When I bought my GMT I too found the bracelet hard to remove and didn't watch to scratch the lugs. I took the watch back to the AD where I had bought it and asked if they would mind swapping out the bracelet for an aftermarket strap. They were only too happy to do so. Took no time at all.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Was thinking I might go down this route with the Nato option to start with - can't really justify £140 on a strap after just stumping up the money for the watch!
    Last edited by ENES; 26th July 2019 at 21:35.

Was thinking I might go down this route with the Nato option to start with - can't really justify £140 on a strap after just stumping up the money for the watch!
    Don’t blame you! It’s hard to stomach.

That’s a nice alternative and I can see me swapping straps quite regularly, OEM or aftermarket. It really is a very versatile watch IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk