closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Polish - yea or nay?

Master

Polish - yea or nay?

No, not a thread about our brethren in Polska...

Long story short; I have a very nice unpolished 16610, that I would normally never decide to polish.

But I've decided to move it on. Its running a little fast this past few months (consistently, admittedly) so I've booked it in with Bill Rice for a service.

The bracelet has seen plenty of wear, so I've decided to allow a light refurb to it.

It also needs a crown (as there a small chip on it) so that's being replaced for sure.

But then does the watch head look silly against the bracelet if not lightly refurbed too?

If I was keeping it, I'd probably not polish it - I'm not sure why I'm swaying the other way, maybe due to the fact it's on the way out?

I'm not really a fan of highly polished tool watches.
    I'd go with original finish, or, failing that, just a deep clean, as opposed to polish, especially if you are moving it on.

Mirror finish on this kind of thing does not work for me.

If it's just a light polish to get rid of hairline-type marks then I would definitely get it done. There's virtually no metal loss and Bill Rice knows how it's done. It would be different if you were sending it to someone who might well over-polish it, but you'll be in safe hands..

Master
    Yep, had one of mine done by Bill and as Tony said he is an expert. I wasn’t going to have mine polished and it was Bill who talked me into it and it goes without saying he made a lovely job.

Master
    Thanks gents, I have the utmost confidence Bill wouldn’t over polish it (there’s nothing nasty on the case anyhow) so I might go down that road.

I prefer tool watches to be unpolished. I did think about selling my Explorer 2 and was wondering if I would get more money for it if it was serviced by Rolex and they polished it up properly, but never quite got round to asking on here if it was worth it! So I know exactly where you're coming from. Thing is though, if you sell it unpolished and original it's up to the next person to polish it or not.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't, but thats just me.
    I prefer tatty unpolished to polished immaculate.
    Bracelets don't bother me as much as heads though as they're easy to replace.

Journeyman
    +1
    Totally Agree

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    If it's just a light polish to get rid of hairline-type marks then I would definitely get it done. There's virtually no metal loss and Bill Rice knows how it's done. It would be different if you were sending it to someone who might well over-polish it, but you'll be in safe hands..

Craftsman
    As long as it’s a sympathetic refinish, you’re really only removing microns if there’s only light scratches, or it just needs some rebrushing.

I’d agree that a freshly refinished bracelet would look odd against a scruffy case. Plus you’ve started the process anyway.

Master
    To me it would depend where you're selling it. If somewhere like SC, then I'd leave it unpolished and offer the option, with two prices to reflect said option. A London lawyer (generalisation!) probably just wants a nice clean looking watch and doesn't care about skinny lugs, myself, I'd rather a few scratches and the option going forward.

Master
    My 16610 came to me following a Rolex polish in 2016 , it was a sensible polish no loss of lug width etc. Some folk on SC want original others would like an as “ new” watch. Its your choice, it depends on the desirability of the the man in the street for your current watch, compared with what Bill Rice will give you. I know I would go with a light polish