closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Perlon Straps

Master

Perlon Straps

Who makes a good one? I bought a strap of eBay recently. It unravelled on first use. I was sent a replacement and same issue. I remember reading that Eulit make good straps but open to any and all suggestions.

Eulit. Job done in my book. They're ace. You can grab them from here - http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit-en.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Eulit. Job done in my book. They're ace. You can grab them from here - http://www.yellys.ch/zub/zub-eulit-en.html
    Exactly this. Do not go anywhere else but Eulit.

Craftsman
    I bought a couple of perlon straps from watch obsession a few years back. From memory they were supposed to have superior hardware to the Eulit ones although I still wasn't very impressed with the buckle.

Didn't find them that comfortable either but I like the look of them.

Are Eulit worth a try?

Master
    Eulit are way better than watch obsession versions (which I have tried). Only issue for eulit is that they do not have that many colour options.

I recently got a Eulit and was surprised at how hard and uncomfortable it was.

How long do they take to soften off (if they do)?

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    I have had problems with scratchy edges on the cut ends before now, and have smoothed them off with a warm knife. Other than that I have always found them to be very comfy from the off.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have had problems with scratchy edges on the cut ends before now, and have smoothed them off with a warm knife. Other than that I have always found them to be very comfy from the off.
    Same no issues with me - I did notice a difference in coarseness between the two colours I had, but both were super comfy.

Master
    Thanks all, so look like Eulit is the answer.

Master
    I've not tried them myself, but have had quite a few of their two piece nylon seatbelt straps and been quite happpy with them.
    https://www.cheapestnatostraps.com/c.../perlon-straps

Master
    I've a couple of perlon's from WatchObsession which have been just fine on my Speedy over the last few weeks. They have a decent range of colours too which Eulit don't seem to be able to provide all of time.

How long do they take to soften off (if they do)?

Cheers,
    Adam.

When I get a new one I wear it 24/7 for at least a week.

By he end of that it has moulded itself to the shape of the case/spring bars and the profile of my wrist. Its also began to soften up nicely.

If scratchiness is encountered fist check the keeper. The join is always on the section that is in contact with the wrist and its often a rough join - simply rotate it so that the join is on the outside of the strap - this nearly always cures the scratchiness problem with a one piece Eulit.

Eulit are definitely good as stated. I've just ordered a random selection of five 20mm non-eulit ones from Watchbandit in Germany for about £10 or £12. Not sure what to expect at that price, but can't go too far wrong. I'll update when they arrive.

I’ve tried most of them and have found the perfect combo for me is a watchobsession strap with an Eulit buckle. I wore an Eulit for a year non stop and a Watchibsession for six months.

Master
    Follow on question. Am I right in thinking that the Kristall is the smallest weave and Palma the chunkiest?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Follow on question. Am I right in thinking that the Kristall is the smallest weave and Palma the chunkiest?
    Yes with Panama in between

See the recent threads on nylon, rubber, leather strap subforum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Yes with Panama in between

See the recent threads on nylon, rubber, leather strap subforum
    Thanks, will have a look.

Everyone raves about Eulit but, as I said in the other thread, I've just bought three Eulit Perlons: a Palma and Panama both in brown 20mm and a Kristall in blue at 18mm (because they don't do it brown at 20mm and I wanted to try all three varieties).

Even saving by combining the postage these set me back £42.93 GBP (€46.00 with the stupid exchange rate) so that's an average of over £14 per strap.

Having handled but not used them I must say I'm disappointed: they feel stiff and plasticky compared with some soft, flexible and much more "fabric-like" old ones I have.

I can only hope they become more supple, more like a nice synthetic clothes material and less like a cheap mesh

Day two of wearing the Pamana and it's doesn't really seem to be breaking-in much, despite the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Everyone raves about Eulit but, as I said in the other thread, I've just bought three Eulit Perlons: a Palma and Panama both in brown 20mm and a Kristall in blue at 18mm (because they don't do it brown at 20mm and I wanted to try all three varieties).

Even saving by combining the postage these set me back £42.93 GBP (€46.00 with the stupid exchange rate) so that's an average of over £14 per strap.

Having handled but not used them I must say I'm disappointed: they feel stiff and plasticky compared with some soft, flexible and much more "fabric-like" old ones I have.

I can only hope they become more supple, more like a nice synthetic clothes material and less like a cheap mesh

Day two of wearing the Pamana and it's doesn't really seem to be breaking-in much, despite the heat.
    Got to agree, I found my one very scratchy from the start.
    I only gave it a couple of days so may give it more but they do give me a "don't believe the hype" type feeling....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Got to agree, I found my one very scratchy from the start.
    I only gave it a couple of days so may give it more but they do give me a "don't believe the hype" type feeling....

Cheers,
    Adam.

The more floppy and soft ones might feel ok to begin with but they don’t keep shape and they become loose, and after a soaking they expand and loosen on the wrist. Proper Perlon is a fantastic material and they remain rigid and properly shaped. Yes they feel light and cheap to begin with, and people often complain about the buckle, but the buckle is actually amazingly strong and the pin needs to flop about so it can pierce the mesh. I file off any rough ends with a nail file (it won’t fray, they’re sealed) and believe me they do soften a little after a month or so. You can try running it through the wash with fabric softener too but there’s no substitute for wearing it.

Their amazing properties will reveal themselves in time - they look great, they keep the watch close to your wrist, they’re cool, quick drying, genuinely vintage and quite flexible in terms of casual to smart.

By the way another way to make them feel better is to shorten the strap so there’s only a tiny bit of excess from the buckle. Remove the keeper (often the culprit of scratchy feel) then the folded over piece from the buckle can be cut off and sealed with an iron.

I agree with the above.

You have go give them a bit of time - after which they are supremely confortable and incredibly long lasting. I have a grey one that has been worn regularly for the past 5 years and is as good as new.

There are a number of negative comments on other current threads about them at the moment - I thinks its because people who are new to them havent given them time.

Master
    I’m interested in giving one a try - who wouldn’t after yesterday. But I have couple of questions if anyone can advise. Firstly, one piece or two? Is one piece crucial to the comfort factor in hot weather, or does two look neater? And secondly, I’m one of those sensitive types who’s allergic to labels in clothing, and usually find any wool that’s not cashmere too itchy (an expensive problem). Does anyone else who has the same issue have a problem with perlon?

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’m interested in giving one a try - who wouldn’t after yesterday. But I have couple of questions if anyone can advise. Firstly, one piece or two? Is one piece crucial to the comfort factor in hot weather, or does two look neater? And secondly, I’m one of those sensitive types who’s allergic to labels in clothing, and usually find any wool that’s not cashmere too itchy (an expensive problem). Does anyone else who has the same issue have a problem with perlon?
    One piece all the way - far more adjustable as described above. Also I believe Perlon is hypoallergenic so should be fine. Worth a try.

As above.

If you go 2 piece you miss out on adjustability!

I have sensitive skin and often suffer from itching and rashes caused by various materials. Never had a problem with a Eulit.

Master
    Thank you both, I’ll give it a go.

Does anybody know if any of the non-Eulit versions are actually Perlon?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Thanks to this thread I’m now enjoying my first perlon - the smart Eulit Panama. As I’d been warned, it’s surprising that how they look and how they feel are two completely different things, and that they’re comfortable for different reasons than those you’d imagine. You’re expecting the softest woven texture imaginable, and what turns up feels like a cross between thin cardboard and unstretchable elastic. It’s quickly softened into something more like canvas, with just the right combination of stiffness, malleability, and adjustability. On the wrist it feels like there’s nothing there at all. It’s interesting stuff! I see why people get hooked on it.

Thanks again for the advice. I’m not sure it’s on exactly the right watch but at least I’m ready for next heatwave.

Last edited by Itsguy; 2nd August 2019 at 11:05.

Lovely combo, have to say that's a lovely skyliner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks to this thread I’m now enjoying my first perlon - the smart Eulit Panama. As I’d been warned, it’s surprising that how they look and how they feel are two completely different things, and that they’re comfortable for different reasons than those you’d imagine. You’re expecting the softest woven texture imaginable, and what turns up feels like a cross between thin cardboard and unstretchable elastic. It’s quickly softened into something more like canvas, with just the right combination of stiffness, malleability, and adjustability. On the wrist it feels like there’s nothing there at all. It’s interesting stuff! I see why people get hooked on it.

Thanks again for the advice. I’m not sure it’s on exactly the right watch but at least I’m ready for next heatwave.

I think I’m going to give one of these a go after reading all of this thread. Lots of interesting info.

However, I’ve got to say that Skyliner is lovely and would look great on just about anything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s simply beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk