closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me out here: should I love the Rolex Daytona?

Help me out here: should I love the Rolex Daytona?

I'm wondering about the Rolex Daytona. I love their looks, quality and robustness and am thinking of one in terms of a watch to hand on to the next generation.

On the other hand I worry that Rolex's policy of restricting their numbers means that I will pay way over the odds if I stretch to buy a used one - or does that very policy mean that I wouldn't lose out if I came to sell later if I didn't get on with the watch after all?

I've approached a couple if stores about going on the waiting list for a new one - sadly, as I'm 64, I'll probably be dead before I get to the top of any waiting list.

Or should I look for another make of chronograph?

This is a serious question - I really cannot decide and any informed thoughts around these issues would be welcome!

While there’s big margins to be made on selling to the grey market why would any dealer sell one to you at RRP?

I’d guess you could put your name on every list in the country and never get one.

Omega do a white dial, ceramic bezel Speedmaster racing that’s good looking, and more importantly available.

Master
    If you really want one then why don’t you look at the older 116520?
    You will pay market rate but is less expensive than the ceramic 500.
    If you don’t like it then I’m sure you would recoup the cost in a few years if bought from a dealer.
    Put your name on a list for the ceramic and enjoy depreciation free wear in the meantime.

I am in the fortunate position of not liking them at all and most Rolex are lovely. The Daytona is one of the few that I don't consider to be a true tool watch....unless you're in the business of looking successful, then it's the right Rolex for the job. :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

Omega do a white dial, ceramic bezel Speedmaster racing that’s good looking, and more importantly available.
    I picked up a white faced Speedy, the master chrono racing. People say it’s too big at 44.25mm but I don’t find it uncomfortable at all. Not only are they available but you’ll most likely be able to negotiate a discount.

I don’t have much of a relationship with an AD so knew that buying a stainless Daytona any time soon would be unlikely and I didn’t want to pay grey prices.
    In some way that helped me rationalise buying the one that I really wanted which was the 116519LN on Oysterflex. With the prices of some gold Daytona close to the price of ss grey prices it makes sense to consider them now.
    I’ve no doubt that I made the right choice and have only just changed watch at the weekend having worn the Daytona for a month or so straight.

It depends how wedded to the myth of the Daytona and the Rolex name you are. I can certainly understand the attraction but if its the look you want I would arge the Tudor Big Block is a nicer watch with better proportions.

Always preferred the Speedmaster — the definitive chronograph.

I had the chance to buy a Daytona a few years back for around 8K. But when I saw it in the flesh I was underwhelmed and continue to be so. There are much nicer watches I'd like to own (for instance that Big Block mentioned earlier in this thread. That's a cracker)

Sent through the ether by magic

Master
    Better not to assume anything about the tastes of the next generation. If they want a Daytona they can buy one.
    So the only real reason to buy one, is if you want one. I’ve owned several and don’t see them as anything special. The dial is cramped, the screw-down pushers awkward and obstructive. To me, they seem a ‘lemming’ Watch. People buy them because other people buy them.
    Still, the market thinks different....
    Last edited by paskinner; 22nd July 2019 at 20:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This answer is the Zenith on SC far nicer if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    +1

I'm not renowned for commenting on Rolex threads, tiresome, but the Daytona is probably the only Rolex I like. I cannot stand the 'Mercedes' hand or cyclops, drives me utterly mad and so the Daytona is the only Sports model I like (side note, I tried really hard to like the Milgauss, but alas didn't move me...)

I bought one after the ceramics were released - but a 116520 (I prefered the older look anyway)

That was exactly 3 years ago and the price for a minty minter was £7k. I still have and wear it, but the price now (grey) is simply madness. For £15k+ so many interesting chronos about that are better than the Daytona. I keep mine because selling would likely mean I could never afford another one and it is a nice watch after all despite what everyone says ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I will be getting a very nice working tool chronograph tomorrow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    This answer is the Zenith on SC, far nicer if you ask me.
    That was rather my solution. I started to realise I would never get a Daytona and questioning how much of my desire for one was related to the watch as opposed to the hunt - probably a bit smaller than my ideal size, questionable dial legibility, hate PCLs etc. I saw a Zenith Tipo-CP2 on SC and loved it. Far better dial legibility, great El Primero pedigree etc. I think if you want to scratch the chrono itch you can't beat a Zenith.

Tudor BB all the way ............

Some interesting comments. Thanks very much. I do accept the risk of being a flash git as the owner of a Daytona.

I agree with the El Primero and Speedmaster suggestions and already have both.

I’m actually looking for a Tudor Big Block and have a WTB out. They’re very handsome watches but given their run of the mill movements it’s surprising they demand such high prices in comparison with the in-house El Primero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I prefer the older zenith movement in two tone a bit lighter and a little bit of history

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I love the Speedmaster dial and, unlike a Daytona, it's very easy to read!

Whats not to love..not the best pic

Master
    I'd go two tone. I think the ceramic bezel looks disproportionate (not that I've seen one in the flesh).

The metal bezel version is so modestly sized, I don't think it looks ostentatious.

You can even get a 2 year old 116503 from WF at just under current list price.

Master
    I just don't see the appeal at all. It's really not a very good looking watch, and the wall of text on the dial is more legible than the time. I'd much rather something like the omega broad arrow. But then you lose the kudos of wearing a daytona (although let's be honest, average Joe probably sees any rolex and forms a negative opinion of the owner for whatever reason)

Christ - different day same Rolex inspired questions..
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Don’t like the question or the thread topic just wander on and no need to comment... simple really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    When I joined TZ we never saw rude and uncalled for comments like this. Just move on to a topic that interests you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Don’t like the question or the thread topic just wander on and no need to comment... simple really

To be fair it's a daft question - only the OP can know if he loves the Daytona but no-one should love any watch (though they might). He's not marrying it.

You should love a new or old Tudor Chrono and love the £££ in change, and love the fact you don’t have to queue up like a mug for the honour is giving someone many thousands of your pounds.

I'd go with a Zenith or Tudor, perhaps a Speedmaster if you have run out of imagination. The Daytona is ugly in comparison to these IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    To be fair it's a daft question - only the OP can know if he loves the Daytona but no-one should love any watch (though they might). He's not marrying it.
    In a perfect world I’d go for an early Daytona with their purity of design, but at £70k plus that remains a dream.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A watch that’s hard to tell the time at a glance?

I would call that poor design not beautiful design.

Speedy Tuesday would be a great alternative and they go for around 5k on here and I am pretty sure will hold their value

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    It depends how wedded to the myth of the Daytona and the Rolex name you are. I can certainly understand the attraction but if its the look you want I would arge the Tudor Big Block is a nicer watch with better proportions.

This was my first thought on reading the OP.

I've seen Daytonas and, much as I wanted to like them (with their connection to the great race in the US and more recently to winners of the Le Mans 24 Hours), I just don't.

However, I did really like the Tudor Big Block I saw once.

I'd never want a Daytona (Although if anyone wants to gift me one, I'll be polite and say thanks :D ), but I could see me wearing a Big Block.

M

In 1992 I bought a Zenith powered Daytona, it was okay but not okay enough to keep for more than a couple of years, of course I should have kept it as an investment but the world wasn't so crazy back then,
    Library photo attached as back then we didn't photograph watches and send them to people we didn't know, indeed back then I can't remember anyone asking me what watch they should buy.

Buy a Zenith De Luca
    Literally a fraction of the cost of the Daytona, and every bit as good.
    The relative pricing of the two makes a De Luca a very sensible chronograph option.

I do this relatively often to prove the point.
    As of right now there are 13 De Lucas on Chrono24 - 9 priced under £5k and every one under £8k (well, one has price request)
    By comparison there are over 5000 Rolex Daytonas on Chrono24, every single one of them priced over £8k
    No sense

Dave

*Edit* - even better, the very first steel daytona (sorted for price) is over £12k, and is on page 6. Every single one before then is Bi-metal.
    Last edited by sweets; 23rd July 2019 at 10:10.

I think there are better watches with chronograph movement. While I don't dislike Daytona looks, screw down pushers are a big no-no for me. What's the point of pushers you have to unscrew every time?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I think there are better watches with chronograph movement. While I don't dislike Daytona looks, screw down pushers are a big no-no for me. What's the point of pushers you have to unscrew every time?
    I agree but it’s so you don’t push them while underwater I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Buy a Zenith De Luca

By comparison there are over 5000 Rolex Daytonas on Chrono24, every single one of them priced over £8k
    No sense

Dave

*Edit* - even better, the very first steel daytona (sorted for price) is over £12k, and is on page 6. Every single one before then is Bi-metal.

5000, on just one selling platform!

I would be a bit concerned if I had bought such a watch for investment purposes. Those watches must be well overpriced or not as desirable as people think or they wouldn't still be on that platform, they would be gone.

If people start to drop their prices to actually make a sale this can cause the whole market to slide as others react to the change.

Mitch

Haven't worn my Daytona since getting it serviced in November. Now all polished and gleaming, I tend to go for something more subdued. It's probably a little too flash for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Haven't worn my Daytona since getting it serviced in November. Now all polished and gleaming, I tend to go for something more subdued. It's probably a little too flash for me.
    You know what, I think that was probably the reason I hardly wore it where as my Submariner was pretty much 24/7.

Master
    I've wanted one since they transitioned from Zenith to in-house movements, as I never liked the black bezels on the Zenith sub-dials. Slim, elegant (for a chrono), great power reserve, hold their value (currently) it's also a ROLEX!!

So what's not to love?

Having said all that, I bought a white face with white gold sub-dials non-ceramic 2008, second hand (untouched) in 2012, I had it less than a year. For me it looked great in photos, especially macro photos, great on other people's wrists. But, when on mine it was just meh!.

Much to my annoyance now, as a novice watchie, I traded a VC Overseas Chrono for it!!! Damn fool! I never buy back watch models I've already had, but for the VC if I find the right one, I might just change my mind.

It’s to avoid accidental pushing - unless you’re looking at vintage, most chronos with a decent depth rating have been useable underwater for quite some years. I remember Fortis making a deal about it back in early 2000’s when I bought a B42 Pilot’s Chrono - “Pushers function underwater to 100m” or something.

I would be very surprised if the modern Daytona isn’t, as my Tudor BB has 200m WR whether screwed in or not, I am told.

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 23rd July 2019 at 11:56.

I can't think of situation when I'll need to start chronometer under water. When swimming I use dive bezel to time start or whatever I have to time. I think that there will be a need for me to time something while under water, I'll buy Seamaster 300m chronograph that allows to operate pushers upt to maximum depth.

Timing something in a dry environment is another story - there are plenty of times I start chrono during day - to time elevator ride (I know, it's weird), cooking, checking train speed etc etc. Screw down pushers would be very inconvenient for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well my chrono choice has arrive and I am chuffed.

Master
    Love that Sinn!

I would stick with your choice and try and find the right Daytona pre-owned.

Can you clear your inbox please David. Thanks M

Master

That’s Superb!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

Lovely looking Tudor. Is it wearing a Rolex crown?

Master
    As the Pet Shop Boys said: “It’s a, it’s a, it’s a Sinn”.

Thank you everyone. Very helpful comments which assisted my thinking.

I’m going for a Tudor Big Block 79170 with b&p and Rolex bracelet. I had one years ago which I always regretted selling, so this was always destined to be the outcome I suspect.

pics when you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Lovely looking Tudor. Is it wearing a Rolex crown?
    To the best of my knowledge that's standard. It does use a Rolex triplock crown.