closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longines Legend Diver Serial Number

Craftsman

Longines Legend Diver Serial Number

Have recently acquired one of these and absolutely love it, however there is no serial number on the case back. I have no reason to doubt that the watch is anything other than what it is supposed to be, (as it came with everything it should - and the Longines book was still sealed), but every image I have seen of a Legend Diver case back clearly discloses a serial. If there are any other LLD owners out there it would be good to know whether or not the absence of the serial number on the back is any cause for concern. I have tried searching for this, but so far to no avail. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tom3949 View Post
    Have recently acquired one of these and absolutely love it, however there is no serial number on the case back. I have no reason to doubt that the watch is anything other than what it is supposed to be, (as it came with everything it should - and the Longines book was still sealed), but every image I have seen of a Legend Diver case back clearly discloses a serial. If there are any other LLD owners out there it would be good to know whether or not the absence of the serial number on the back is any cause for concern. I have tried searching for this, but so far to no avail. Thanks in advance.
    Email Longines,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I was just about to post...no serial number on mine...looked again...there is a number on it..quite faint

mine is more or less under one of the frogmans feet!

My eyes are 59 years old...and am unable to see what the number is though!

Master
    Mine had a serial number clearly printed on the back

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Master

Master
    Mine also had a serial number on the case back (below the driver's flippers).

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone. Everything I have seen so far points to a serial number between the 30 bar mark and 'water resistant'. Mine doesn't have this, but as I said everything the watch comes with appears fine - as does the watch itself. It is just this detail ...

I think I need to email the seller and Longines, (who I note charge a fee for authentication of a serial number).

Cheers all.

Craftsman
    Here are some images - and you can clearly see there is no serial between the '30 bar' mark and the words 'water resistant'.

What number does the warrantee card show?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Good point!

First thing I did was take the watch out of the box, change the strap, (Natos all the way with me), put it with the collection, and store everything else away.

I obviously need to dig this out.

I have also contacted Longines and await a reply as to whether any LLDs were produced without a serial on the case back.

To me it looks as though it’s been polished out...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    There is definitely a serial number on mine between 30 bar and water resistant, as has been said it looks to have been polished out?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I take it the faint numbers between the 'Stainless Steel' and the 'S' emblem (on the crown side) aren't a serial number? Or is it the calibre of movement etc?

Edit: I've just noticed there are numbers in the same place on mtagrant's picture, as well as the serial number on the opposite side so cancel my above comment.
    Last edited by Bobbyf; 22nd July 2019 at 22:47.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammt79 View Post
    To me it looks as though it’s been polished out...

This is meant to have been an unworn watch.

I am now having some doubts ...

'polished out' does not give me that warm and cuddly feeling!

:o(

Am awaiting a reply from Longines with some anticipation now ...

Clear serial number on mine as well....thread did make me go and check

just checked my non date version - has a very faint serial that would not take much to polish away (prob whats happened with yours )

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    just checked my non date version - has a very faint serial that would not take much to polish away (prob whats happened with yours )
    and why would someone want to polish out a serial number ...

I am going to wait and see what Longines have to say and then contact the seller, (who came across as a very decent bloke).

From the photos the serial numbers look 'laser etched' and yours has been worn clear.

and why would someone want to polish out a serial number ...

I am going to wait and see what Longines have to say and then contact the seller, (who came across as a very decent bloke).
    when i say it would not take much i mean it :) , its laser etched and light enough that a quick rub with a cape cod cloth would take it out (i had to get a loupe to see the thing )

Craftsman
    Thanks for the above comments. I would have thought that a serial number shouldn't be that easy to erase. Also this watch was advertised as unworn - but the photo of the case back doesn't exactly support this. Should have noted that.

Longines Legend Diver Serial Number

That watch based on the pictures loaded is clearly worn. There are scratches and dents on the case back and on the ringed lip where the diver sits in.

I’m unsure what Longines will say, other than send it in and quote for a new case back. Interested. 🧐

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Have just dug out the (massive) Longines box. The Longines 'Sports Legends' book is untouched, (still in its wrapping), and the instruction manual, (which is a hefty tome), is also untouched. However, at the back of the latter, where the warranty card should be - nada!

Have just checked out the original listing for this, (on evilbay), and now note that the watch is described as 'as new', and the bracelet as 'unworn'. Still the caseback is hardly consistent with the former.

No serial number, no warranty card, not exactly 'as new' - caveat emptor.

The Longines reply will now dictate what happens with this. I also have a feeling that the seller may be a member here as he mentioned Eddies Natos in one of his emails. Hopefully this will all work out well.

Am I the only person who'd like to know who the ebay seller is?

Master
    No warranty card and polished off number can mean several things* but should have at the least been disclosed as it means the watch is at least 10% less valuable than advertised. I would be tempted to force a return. No serial number and no card means at the least no warranty but perhaps you didn't expect one?

*Best case, grey market (though no one seems to bother removing serials any more), worst case, stolen, serial removed to avoid detection.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd July 2019 at 10:30.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Am I the only person who'd like to know who the ebay seller is?
    Not really fair for me to mention that until I get this sorted out. I am not too bothered about some wear on the case back, (even if described as 'as new'). The issue for me is the lack of serial number and warranty card. As mentioned previously the reply I get from Longines will determine what I do next.

Craftsman
    ... and the seller has 100% feedback and came across in all communications as an apparently honest and decent bloke.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Not really fair for me to mention that until I get this sorted out. I am not too bothered about some wear on the case back, (even if described as 'as new'). The issue for me is the lack of serial number and warranty card. As mentioned previously the reply I get from Longines will determine what I do next.
    If you can return it, do.
    That is not a "grey" watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    If you can return it, do.
    That is not a "grey" watch.
    Do you think it might not be authentic?

Master
    I am sorry but no warranty card and no serial number just return it...ebay will be on your side as the buyer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I am sorry but no warranty card and no serial number just return it...ebay will be on your side as the buyer.
    Cheers. This is the route which I think I am heading towards. Lack of serial and warranty card is a bit of a deal breaker for me. As soon as Longines respond I am going to contact the seller.

I would be contacting the seller ASAP
    At the very least the seller has been inaccurate as to the condition and as posted previously it maybe a stolen watch. That’s the only reason I can think of for getting rid of the card and serial on the watch.

Craftsman
    I wouldn't wait for longines, I would just return it as it's not as described.. legend diver is a lovely watch but not rare or hard to find.... unless it was really really cheap I would walk away and buy another one. I've had mine 5 years and the condition of the caseback etc is pristine..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

To be fair, it is possible that the watch has a replacement caseback (issued without serial number) to replace a damaged one, or because they have removed an one that was deeply engraved.

But neither happens on an unworn watch.
    All other explanations are more dodgy.......
    So return it asap, if I were you.
    Dave

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for the above comments. You are all right - Longines can wait. An email will shortly be on its way to the seller.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for the above comments. You are all right - Longines can wait. An email will shortly be on its way to the seller.
    Now on route ...

just to show how light it is - it looks from the other photo that somewhere along the line longines changed how/ or who does the etching as it a lot lighter than mtagrants photo and looks to have a diff font.

*you can see by the 2 photos that there are 2 different casebacks , mine and ops and mtagrants -mine is a non date and has all the relevant paperwork , my guess is that they just used some of the non date casebacks when they started doing the date version and it got polished off.
    Last edited by pugster; 23rd July 2019 at 16:08.

Master
    Hope you get this sorted to your satisfaction OP
    I guess having any doubt over the watch will take away the enjoyment of owning/wearing it
    The eBay sellers time on there and feedback wouldn't have rang any alarm bells to me
    description 'all booklets etc.' could be a bit misleading though

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you think it might not be authentic?
    I was saying not grey in that they don't usually remove serial numbers.

I think the watch you've pictured has almost certainly been polished, heavily enough to remove a laser etched serial number and to soften some of the other engravings. On a watch thats been described as unworn, thats not good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I was saying not grey in that they don't usually remove serial numbers.

I think the watch you've pictured has almost certainly been polished, heavily enough to remove a laser etched serial number and to soften some of the other engravings. On a watch thats been described as unworn, thats not good.
    Thanks for the info. On re-reading the listing it is the bracelet that is described as unworn and the watch as 'as new' - which the case back clearly isn't. The seller has actually phoned me, (I don't know where he dug my number up from), and seems a thoroughly nice bloke. It turns out that he is a clock repairer and he seems genuinely gutted that there is an issue. He totally understands where I am coming from with provenance, (no serial number, no warranty card), and I don't think there will be any problem returning this. He also stated that the watch came from a source known to him and was obtained as part of a clearance deal, where the warranty card was not included. He is in the dark about the missing serial though. Hopefully this will now have a happy ending.

Master
    Thanks for the info. On re-reading the listing it is the bracelet that is described as unworn and the watch as 'as new' - which the case back clearly isn't. The seller has actually phoned me, (I don't know where he dug my number up from), and seems a thoroughly nice bloke. It turns out that he is a clock repairer and he seems genuinely gutted that there is an issue. He totally understands where I am coming from with provenance, (no serial number, no warranty card), and I don't think there will be any problem returning this. He also stated that the watch came from a source known to him and was obtained as part of a clearance deal, where the warranty card was not included. He is in the dark about the missing serial though. Hopefully this will now have a happy ending.
    There are still good people out there. I hope you get this resolved and do get a LLD as they are fantastic watches which I hope to try at some point. Keep us dated.

My 2007 ND has a serial too. However given you’ve spoken to the seller and the history of the watch is now ‘known’, I’d probably ask for some money back and keep the watch as the serial and warranty might not actually matter in the long run. I’ve never even looked at mine in ten years.

So I’d ask him to get the full story from his source then ask for money off to settle it; perhaps ask that he stands by the watch by asking him to service it when the time comes. Otherwise send it back.

Craftsman
    Quick update on this purchase. Watch has been sent back, the seller received it yesterday, (around noon), and I am now awaiting a refund.

Longines also replied to my email yesterday, (took them long enough!), and clearly stated that all LLDs should have a serial on the case back.

Hopefully I should get the money back today ...

Master
    Quick update on this purchase. Watch has been sent back, the seller received it yesterday, (around noon), and I am now awaiting a refund.

Longines also replied to my email yesterday, (took them long enough!), and clearly stated that all LLDs should have a serial on the case back.

Hopefully I should get the money back today ...
    Correct decision...i hope it hasn't put you off buying one of these watches as they are nice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Correct decision...i hope it hasn't put you off buying one of these watches as they are nice.
    Thanks.

Hasn't put me off - just now on hold until after I get my hands on a PRS-21.

Craftsman
    Hmmm - had no communication from the seller. He received the returned watch 2 days ago. So far no response to my emails.

I am covered by Ebay but hope it doesn't have to come to this.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm - had no communication from the seller. He received the returned watch 2 days ago. So far no response to my emails.

I am covered by Ebay but hope it doesn't have to come to this.
    Frustrating. Hope he issues the refund asap.

If I may ask: When you messaged the vendor, did you go through eBay's "the watch is not as described" procedure? Sending a message that way automatically opens a dispute case and then all communications, returns and refunds take place within the context of the dispute case.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Frustrating. Hope he issues the refund asap.

If I may ask: When you messaged the vendor, did you go through eBay's "the watch is not as described" procedure? Sending a message that way automatically opens a dispute case and then all communications, returns and refunds take place within the context of the dispute case.
    Yes - that's exactly what I did. Ebay won't step in until the 5th and have assured me I will be refunded one way or another, however the lack of response to my communications by the seller is very frustrating. He has the watch and my money. If I am refunded by Ebay and not the seller, and I don't get any satisfactory reason for this current turn of events I will certainly name and shame him.

Blog Entries
    Yes - that's exactly what I did.
    That's good. :-)

Ebay won't step in until the 5th and have assured me I will be refunded one way or another, however the lack of response to my communications by the seller is very frustrating. He has the watch and my money. If I am refunded by Ebay and not the seller, and I don't get any satisfactory reason for this current turn of events I will certainly name and shame him.
    It must be very frustrating -- I know it would be for me. I wouldn't be surprised if he's having a good look at the watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That's good. :-)

It must be very frustrating -- I know it would be for me. I wouldn't be surprised if he's having a good look at the watch.
    Probably trying to see if there is any mark he can pin on me! :o)

Or working out why he advertised it as 'unworn' and 'as new' when the case back obviously had signs of wear - and a lack of a serial number!

Still no response - so looks like it will be Ebay refunding me.

I wonder what the legal position will be with this. Someone who has goods returned because they were not as described and who has then kept the money that was paid for those goods. Is this fraud?