closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The 'fix' for hospital food....

Master

The 'fix' for hospital food....

Hospital food... God it's bad, I can't believe this is healthy. Just had pie and chips... all covered in gravy. Pie was the best part except for the pastry that glues your mouth together. The chips, well unless it said they were chips on the menu I just wouldn't have believed... anaemic and like chewing rubber. And the veg! Good grief it must have been boiled for several hours; you know until it goes that flat grey colour - reminds me of sunday lunches when I was a kid where all the veg was boiled within an inch of it's life and all the colour got drained off through the colander.

Her indoors has obviously been reading my mind 'cause she popped in with a bottle of elixir...

Drench the whole lot in HP and suddenly it's got taste :-)

Master
    also good if you're frying a burger or some chicken, put a drop in the pan and suddenly it's barbecued flavour.

I recall seeing a TV programme by James Martin on this subject a year or so ago. By all accounts even when (if) the food was half way decent when it left the kitchen, it was then kept warm in the trolleys for several hours due to the logistics of getting the food aroun d the wards, so all of the dishes ended up all looking like the same grey sludge by the time it reached the patients.

Shame really, as a decent meal goes a long way to aid recovery. I know when I last stayed in hospital, I was absolutely starving when I was 'released' to go home.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I recall seeing a TV programme by James Martin on this subject a year or so ago. By all accounts even when (if) the food was half way decent when it left the kitchen, it was then kept warm in the trolleys for several hours due to the logistics of getting the food aroun d the wards, so all of the dishes ended up all looking like the same grey sludge by the time it reached the patients.

Shame really, as a decent meal goes a long way to aid recovery. I know when I last stayed in hospital, I was absolutely starving when I was 'released' to go home.
    Yes... to me it's strange. I mean I know it's down to a budget but if it was prepared and served better I'm sure it would much better for you. So you don't need to spend more on the ingredients just prepare it with more care. As it is it's supplied by a lorry from god knows where... it might have been cooked an hour before it gets to your tray. Just seems a waste of what it potentially good food.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Yes... to me it's strange. I mean I know it's down to a budget but if it was prepared and served better I'm sure it would much better for you. So you don't need to spend more on the ingredients just prepare it with more care. As it is it's supplied by a lorry from god knows where... it might have been cooked an hour before it gets to your tray. Just seems a waste of what it potentially good food.
    I think an hour is generous, when I was in Homerton for my op in 2016 I was told the food is mass prepared out in Essex and then sent out in the morning with all meals for 24 hours in different coloured dispensing stations where the ward staff serve it from.

As I had gastric surgery I couldn’t eat anyway so this wasn’t an issue!

- - - Updated - - -

I think an hour is generous, when I was in Homerton for my op in 2016 I was told the food is mass prepared out in Essex and then sent out in the morning with all meals for 24 hours in different coloured dispensing stations where the ward staff serve it from.

As I had gastric surgery I couldn’t eat anyway so this wasn’t an issue!

Master
    Well I'm filling in the menu options for tomorrow lunch right now.

Reads okay on the menu... so it's Chicken breast in BBQ sauce with chips and mashed carrots. Sounds okay but you just know that it's going to be fowl - spelling intentional :-(

Don’t they have Cafe Nero downstairs or something? Their porridge is sublime :)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

When I was in hospital in 2016 I used to send pictures home to the family to show what I was eating, they couldn't believe it, the food was absolute crap.

Passed the time a bit though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Don’t they have Cafe Nero downstairs or something? Their porridge is sublime :)
    Yes, or something like that, but I'm hooked up to a wireless telemetry thing so I'm not allowed off the ward. I did get SWMBO though to bring me in a double espresso; I couldn't stand another maxwell house :-( I mean I have a rule don't touch instant coffee but I thought I'd try the stuff off the trolley, I was that desperate. So I tried it twice... that's it no more!

Yes, or something like that, but I'm hooked up to a wireless telemetry thing so I'm not allowed off the ward. I did get SWMBO though to bring me in a double espresso; I couldn't stand another maxwell house :-( I mean I have a rule don't touch instant coffee but I thought I'd try the stuff off the trolley, I was that desperate. So I tried it twice... that's it no more!
    Please tell me you’re drinking decaf espressos
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I think the way to deal with hospital food is to look at the menu card & decide what meal/course the caterer is making least of.

Vegetarian/vegan/halal/ethnic will probably provide a (slightly) better quality of meal than generic BBQ rubber chicken.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Please tell me you’re drinking decaf espressos
    Good grief no... I mean decaf coffee! No chance.

Actually we asked the head nurse and she said no problem. In fact she related a story when she first started on the cardio ward of some guy that was just a few hours out of cardio surgery that gulped down two red bulls within 30 mins of waking up (brought in by some relation). In a panic the nurse rushes to get the consultant. He came back and said it's okay, not an issue! Maybe caffeine isn't as bad for the heart as they say it is? I know they were coming round offering everyone a mug of instant in the pre-op ward I was in; actually the caffeine in instant or tea isn't that far off espresso but, I agree, I'm not sure maxwell house has ANY coffee element in it at all so maybe that doesn't count!

“Envy of the world.”

Master
    Hospital meals are indeed foul, by design i suspect, as if you were to have Michelin starred food there you'd never want to leave.

I have several days of hospital cuisine coming up in 10 days, this thread isn't helping.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

My wife recently had a very brief stay on a ward in Leicester General. She said the food was pretty bad. A lot of the patients on the ward had extra food, snacks and drink on the bed side tables. As mentioned I think things aren't helped by the logistics of trying to get food round an entire hospital. Mind you it looks like standard economy class airline food to me.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I have several days of hospital cuisine coming up in 10 days, this thread isn't helping.

Eddie

Master
    ^ Trying to kill the host?

They’re frozen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post

with the HP from the first post of course! :-)

When I come back for 'the op' I'm going to organise a macdonalds each day. Two members of my office staff drive past the hospital each day on the way home and there's a macdonalds at the roundabout down the road that they pass. Honestly I reckon a macdonalds each day would be healthier that this muck :-(

Now moved to a temp/day ward and no hot food for lunch - that might be a blessing.

Two words - Pret a Manger. Well three actually. Soup, plus BLT or Chicken Bacon, Avocado sarny, or if one feels particularity healthy - chicken or crayfish salad, delish!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri