closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Tempest!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

The Tempest!

I just noticed this:

In the foreground the flabby profile of the F35, next the angular, and a bit too French looking, Typhoon and then, totally modern, yet laced with all the right styling cues from the Golden Age of British aircraft, we have the newly announced Tempest. I'm not joking, seeing it literally made me well up. As they say, if it looks right, it will fly right and that looks like a proper British aeroplane. There's a decent article here:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...r-jet-tempest/

And an appropriate soundtrack here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXQUhBsUVM

BAE are on a roll:

but if anyone knows anything more, I'd be beyond delighted...
    Last edited by M4tt; 22nd July 2019 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

Didn't Clint Eastwood fly one of those back in the 80s?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps interesting to know that Sweden/SAAB is also interested and has signed up for this plane.

As a side note: when reading the title, my first reaction was: "...yeah! Another sailing-crazy forum member!" The Tempest is a two-men keelboat used for the 72 and 76 Olympics. Nowadays, not many boats are left in the UK and Holland. Most sail in Germany (Kiel area)

I like the original Tempest V.

A rip snorting powerhouse of a 'plane.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Good to know that we've finally discovered one of these..

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Apparently will be able to fly without a pilot!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Sorry but I think that's a Typhoon, Tempest had a tail fillet & a 4 blade prop. The Mk2 has a radial engine (Centaurus?)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Sorry but I think that's a Typhoon, Tempest had a tail fillet & a 4 blade prop. The Mk2 has a radial engine (Centaurus?)
    Definitely a Typhoon I'm afraid, a 1b by the look of it. For me the giveaway is the Tempest had a much thinner cleaner wing from the side and an almost elliptical, Spitfire like shape from above or below.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Good to know that we've finally discovered one of these..

Absolutely. it's about time we produced a decent aircraft that we can sell for lots and lots of money. BAE has the distilled experience of some of the world's finest in the necessary fields. It's lovely to see us actually making something we can use and sell rather than buying Yank dross for Rolex prices.

OH...

That's not what you meant, is it!

Nope, there are potholes the size of IoM all over the country, rampant knife crime and one in ten crimes are ever solved, but I see some are very keen to continue chucking taxpayers money at vanity projects while we can’t find our collective way out of brown paper bag. W@nkfest would be more appropriate name for it innit.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Perhaps interesting to know that Sweden/SAAB is also interested and has signed up for this plane.

As a side note: when reading the title, my first reaction was: "...yeah! Another sailing-crazy forum member!" The Tempest is a two-men keelboat used for the 72 and 76 Olympics. Nowadays, not many boats are left in the UK and Holland. Most sail in Germany (Kiel area)
    You were just being an optimist. It would be a miracle if anyone here knew anything about small sailing boats.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope, there are potholes the size of IoM all over the country, rampant knife crime and one in ten crimes are ever solved, but I see some are very keen to continue chucking taxpayers money at vanity projects while we can’t find our collective way out of brown paper bag. W@nkfest would be more appropriate name for it innit.
    God knows you are right and this project has Brexit insanity that will get cancelled after spending a fortune on R&D written all over it. It's a wonder it isn't called the 'Battle of Britain we won you know'. However, the geometry is so evocative of what could have been if we hadn't trusted the Americans and they hadn't been quite so perfidious in aerospace.

There you go - making sense,, seems we need things like aircraft carrier's and fast trains more than great schools etc,
    Any how before we descend in to politics.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

You were just being an optimist. It would be a miracle if anyone here knew anything about small sailing boats.
    Menno is our Flying Dutchman.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    In the foreground the flabby profile of the F35, next the angular, and a bit too French looking, Typhoon and then, totally modern, yet laced with all the right styling cues from the Golden Age of British aircraft, we have the newly announced Tempest. I'm not joking, seeing it literally made me well up. As they say, if it looks right, it will fly right and that looks like a proper British aeroplane.
    I regret to say that I don't think we should get too excited. It's still years away from any metal (or carbon fibre) actually getting bent.

I am fairly certain (as in wild prediction) that, for primarily political reasons, MBDA will pull out at the worst possible moment. And it will cost twice what it should due to development funding uncertainties and smaller-than-agreed purchases.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I regret to say that I don't think we should get too excited. It's still years away from any metal (or carbon fibre) actually getting bent.

I am fairly certain (as in wild prediction) that, for primarily political reasons, MBDA will pull out at the worst possible moment. And it will cost twice what it should due to development funding uncertainties and smaller-than-agreed purchases.
    I feel sure a Corbyn government will plough on, recognising the need for a 6th gen air defence and not cancel it, destroy the jigs, R&D and airframes to later buy whatever F111 style dross the yanks fob off on us for three times the price.

Blog Entries
    I feel sure a Corbyn government will plough on, recognising the need for a 6th gen air defence and not cancel it, destroy the jigs, R&D and airframes to later buy whatever F111 style dross the yanks fob off on us for three times the price.
    The Magic Grandad won’t need to spend on defence, because he’ll be friends with all the people who mean us harm, innit.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    The Magic Grandad won’t need to spend on defence, because he’ll be friends with all the people who mean us harm, innit.
    I don’t think he gets on with the Americans as well as you think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I expect he'll buy whatever his Chinese comrades tell him to buy. Not unlike Theresa May. :-(

(Sorry, this is getting into political territory).

"the fighter should be ready for service by 2035" ROFPML

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    "the fighter should be ready for service by 2035" ROFPML
    Yes but I expect the Airfix version will be out well ahead of that, and on budget ....

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    You are of course correct.

That will teach me look for a Tempest under Google images!

I actually built a model of a MK V recently as well so no excuse.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Wow your getting a good deal at only 3 times the price they get us American taxpayers at 6 times the price.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You are of course correct.

That will teach me look for a Tempest under Google images!

I actually built a model of a MK V recently as well so no excuse.
    I hope there will be a flying model kit out at some point - I haven't got time to work one out myself, but a nice balsa kit would be a bit of a giggle and should fly beautifully with a bit of ducting.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Wow your getting a good deal at only 3 times the price they get us American taxpayers at 6 times the price.
    That's probably why we are making our own. It's the only way to get the taxes up!