closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Exploring rural Lancashire

Exploring rural Lancashire

Looking to take advantage of my local area. I’m based in Preston with 4/5 kids for the majority of the holiday. (My eldest is not 100% counted for planning as he is in America for 50% of the holidays.

Looking for dog friendly places to visit for days out and picnics to explore Lancashire.

Looking mainly for small villages/towns in the countryside with nice short walks and some rural shops. A good pub for lunch is never a bad thing too!

Need to be suitable for young (2 year old) children. We can use a buggy for him but also walking/my shoulder is an option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by woodacre1983; 21st July 2019 at 19:28.

Clitheroe is on your doorstep and also the gateway to The Forest of Bowland. I’m sure you’re aware that there are numerous child friendly walks in this area . The Sawley Abbey walk is really good alongside the River Ribble. The Spread Eagle is a fantastic place to begin and end your walk with very good food and child friendly.
    The Inn At Whitewell is amazing for food ( but pricey) and there are numerous little villages with river access and duck ponds etc in the area .

try Rufford not too far from you down A59

Rufford Old Hall with picnic area

canal with 2 cafes great walks down canal with Kingfishers

Mere Sands Woods...buggy friendly

and of course Martin Mere...kids will love it Otters , swans, flamingos etc etc

Hesketh Pub.. very good these days

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Agree with above suggestions, Forest of Bowland, Rufford Hall and Martin Mere probably the 3 best places to visit in Lancashire.

Craftsman
    Rivington and the newly renovated Chinese Gardens. Walks, views and history all in one. Not much in the way of amenities though so take a picnic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Rivington and the newly renovated Chinese Gardens. Walks, views and history all in one. Not much in the way of amenities though so take a picnic.
    And a music festival coming up. A couple of the tea rooms are dog friendly.
    Belmont Village has two cracking pubs, both dog friendly as is the pub in Limbrick
    Fairy glen between Parbold and Appley Bridge is nice too.
    Crook O Lune near Lancaster has nice walks

Master
    I've stayed in Barley a couple of times at the Pendle Inn.Dog friendly and the surrounding countryside is superb.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some nice walks around Bury.
    The Garsdale always had good food too.

Master
    Along the Ribble, Rivington Barn(especially Sunday if you're into bikes), Worden Park(Leyland) has a miniature steam railway the kids will love a ride on as well as play areas, picnic tables, a maze, tea room.
    Brockholes, Preston/Garstang Country Club.
    Blackpool's a bit run down now but if you fancy a trip up the tower it's only up the M55 and also worth reading all the comedy on the prom in front of the tower.
    Ouch!, you'll know what I mean if you go up the tower.

Freshfield (Formby) squirrel reserve, sand dunes and beach is lovely.

You can either go into the National Trust (charged) area and car parking, or park on Larkhill Lane and walk through.

Craftsman
    knowsley Safari Park? Not quite Lancs but not a million miles away and I'm sure the kids will love the animals.

Lytham and Lytham Hall. The Hall is getting well on with renovations but there are nice walks in the grounds. Lytham has a lot going on in summer, classic car show, and coming up the WW2 weekend with mock battles and dances. All sorts.

Garstang show next week, i'll be working it.

Master
    Brimham Rocks

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks

Its National Trust if you are member lots of areas for the kids to play and explore as long as they are OK with heights. Not actually Lancashire but a nice stop off on the way to Harrogate

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    knowsley Safari Park? Not quite Lancs but not a million miles away and I'm sure the kids will love the animals.
    But don't for God's sake go in with the Baboons. Little bastards chewed my washer jets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    But don't for God's sake go in with the Baboons. Little bastards chewed my washer jets.
    Worked for a bloke years ago who bought a brand new Seat, first trip out was to Knowsley. A babbon took a bite out of the rear spoiler, the fella jumped out his car and chased it until he dropped the chunk then glued it back in later - could always see the teeth marks. Would've been a better story if they had taken a chunk out of his arm but it made me laugh at the time

Can't go far wrong in Barley, Barley Mow in particular. Plan a weekend there and make sure you sample White Swan at Fence. Not the heartiest of meals but certainly up there in taste, book well in advance to save disappointment. There are numerous walks for all abilities and ages ranging for Pendle hill to lovely forrest walks round sculpture trails. Its on my doorstep so I am biased but many agree. Give us a shout if your'e in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Can't go far wrong in Barley, Barley Mow in particular. Plan a weekend there and make sure you sample White Swan at Fence. Not the heartiest of meals but certainly up there in taste, book well in advance to save disappointment. There are numerous walks for all abilities and ages ranging for Pendle hill to lovely forrest walks round sculpture trails. Its on my doorstep so I am biased but many agree. Give us a shout if your'e in the area.
    Rising Sun at Blacko ain't bad either.

West Lancs light Railway at Hesketh Bank is quite interesting. Probably the worlds shortest railway line but the little railway engines (some ex WW1) are cool & the whole thing has a certain charm.

More of a low octane treat, but fun !

Master
    Haigh hall is nice, right near me just outside of Wigan. Massive adventure park (free) and a bit of a funfair plus a couple of crazy golf courses (not free!). The grounds are pretty big, it's good for a picnic and a kickabout with a football and they have recently opened a high wire adventure (a 'Go Ape' style place). You might struggle to stretch it to a full day out but factor in half an hour drive either way and it'll take care of a cheap day out with the kids.
    As mentioned, rivington barn/pike is ten minutes down the road too but that's a fair hike with a 2 year old. I seem to recall it's about a 2 and a half hour walk to the top if you go the gentle route.

Master
    One of our favourites is over near Rochdale - Hollingworth Lake. It seems to be a bit of a forgotten treasure. My dad took me loads as a kid but now hardly anyone seems to know about it.

It's a huge lake, of course, with a wide gravel path around it that is great for kids bikes and dog walkers. It's been a while but I seem to recall the walk all the way around takes about an hour. Halfway around there is (was?) a picnic area, cafe and adventure playground for the kids.

On the main road you have The Beach pub which is a cheap and cheerful carvery place with a big beer garden set up for the kids to play in. A little further up is an old fashioned amusement arcade and fresh ice cream place. At the far end (where you come off the lake if you have done the full walk around) is a really nice family friendly restaurant called the Wine Press. It's not too bad on the pocket and really good food.

In fact we hadn't factored that into our summer holidays but now I think it would be rude not to!
    Last edited by kevkojak; 23rd July 2019 at 19:11.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Worked for a bloke years ago who bought a brand new Seat, first trip out was to Knowsley. A babbon took a bite out of the rear spoiler, the fella jumped out his car and chased it until he dropped the chunk then glued it back in later - could always see the teeth marks. Would've been a better story if they had taken a chunk out of his arm but it made me laugh at the time
    Typical moronic things that people do around the animals. A male baboon could become territorial have killed him with little effort.

If you value your car the baboon enclosure is the last place you want to drive through so there is a route around it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've yet to fathom why the folks here call their Japanese garden 'Chinese' - I'm guessing some sort of Jeremy Hunt's wife problem..?!

The nosebag at Great House Barn is pretty good as a non-picnic option; crucially for 4.5 kids, there's a BIG ice-cream bar (as in counter or stall, not like one huge choc ice to share).

Haigh Hall is a good shout too, though steer clear of the Sat parkrun when it is the 'B' route (downhill jog to Plantation gates, hands-and-knees climb back up to Hall - still in shock).

I absolutely love Bowland - we've been working our way through these walks and have yet to find a duffer (though perhaps some a bit too challenging for a two-year old):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowland-Lan.../dp/1870141784