closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Football about to start, beer in hand and going to do a leg of lamb on the Joetisserie.

Its going to be a good day. hungry already

lamb was over done and Chelsea lost....what a great saturday

- - - Updated - - -

lamb was over done and Chelsea lost....what a great saturday

Craftsman
    9 hours it took and worth every minute - A&O shawarma spiced whole lamb shoulder smoked with cherry wood on the masterbuilt kamado.
    Spicy crunchy crust and pull apart soft and juicy meat underneath.
    With griddled aubergine and cous cous. We ate it so quickly I didn't even video it.

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    9 hours it took and worth every minute - A&O shawarma spiced whole lamb shoulder smoked with cherry wood on the masterbuilt kamado.
    Spicy crunchy crust and pull apart soft and juicy meat underneath.
    With griddled aubergine and cous cous. We ate it so quickly I didn't even video it.
    Looks great.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Agree that looks lovely, am glad you took a photo of the finished result.

Could you share the recipe, timing & temps please. Was talking about this with my wife last night. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Agree that looks lovely, am glad you took a photo of the finished result.

Could you share the recipe, timing & temps please. Was talking about this with my wife last night. Thanks

With the proviso that I'm completely new at this -

Full shoulder, I didn't weigh it but it was hefty, brought to room temp and trimmed, scored on fat side and dampened with water and liberally rubbed with the shawarma rub from Angus and oink. Left to marinade while I brought the grill up to temp with Big K restaurant lumpwood and a couple of fist sized pieces of cherry wood.

Cooked indirect with a drip tray underneath at 120?C target temp. I closed down too much early on so temp dropped to 80? about 90 minutes in but I got it back up again.
    I used a meter+ to monitor the temps and it took 9 hours to reach 96?c internal. I didn't wrap it at all and it stalled for the longest 100 mins ever at 78? but I braved it out haha. Rested for a 45 mins then dug in.

I even had pulled lamb tacos tonight using the leftovers. Bloody amazing.

Master
    Thank you.

Pulled lamb tacos sound amazing. Not eaten tonight as been interviewing pharmacists in Brazil for my sins tonight & salivating at the thought.

Master
    After using my Lidl small kamado for a while and enjoying the results, I decided I’d like a larger cooking area. I just happened to go onto Aldi’s website, only to find they had 1 of their long sold out kamados on sale! I quickly put it in my basket, thinking it much be a mistake but no, went to checkout and paid it, then got the confirmation email to say it was in its way!
    Sometimes the online gods do shine on you 👍

Thank you.

... Not eaten tonight as been interviewing pharmacists in Brazil for my sins tonight...
    Best excuse EVER for not eating dinner! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoisyGriff View Post
    Best excuse EVER for not eating dinner! :)
    It wasn't them as such, more the fact the agency booking them in did so with a 15min gap between interviews over the course of the night; no time to make dinner!

Was going planning on pulled pork this weekend, but woke up Saturday having forgotten to removed from the freezer Wednesday. :(

Match made in heaven. BGE + single rib of beef = perfection!

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Never thought of a single rib, I always end up being in charge of roasting a 5 rib for Christmas in an oven - not brave enough to risk the expense on the egg (well and we never eat at ours, I just cook wherever we go!)

Am going to have to get one from an online butcher to try the single as I’m salivating from that picture.

Any recommendations for good online butchers? Used to use Donald Russell but last batch was mediocre at best & their (his?) sausages & burgers are some of the worst I have ever eaten.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never thought of a single rib, I always end up being in charge of roasting a 5 rib for Christmas in an oven - not brave enough to risk the expense on the egg (well and we never eat at ours, I just cook wherever we go!)

Am going to have to get one from an online butcher to try the single as I’m salivating from that picture.

Any recommendations for good online butchers? Used to use Donald Russell but last batch was mediocre at best & their (his?) sausages & burgers are some of the worst I have ever eaten.

I buy from Tom Hixson, its not the cheapest but superb range and quality.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Had sons round for eldest’s birthday Friday night so we gave it a go making pizzas on the Komodo, seemed to turn out alright, middle son made the dough, only took one picture though we did eight!

Had this , amongst others , to wash it down - really good

Last edited by Thomps68; 10th August 2020 at 14:39.

Master
    In a related topic, anyone know where I can get Camp Chef Flat Top Grill in the UK or Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    I buy from Tom Hixson, its not the cheapest but superb range and quality.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Ive purchased a few times from there too. I have recently now moved away from online purchases after stopping off in Wimborne on a walk along the river Stour.

http://www.pkeatingbutchers.co.uk/

"We also have a new supplier of grass fed Red Devon beef grazed at Holt Heath, Wimborne.
    All the Red Ruby Devon Beef is grass finished to enhance flavour and produce an all round improved product. It also triples the Omega 3 content.
    Once in our shop, the Beef is dry aged in our cold store for a minimum of four weeks. It is then expertly cut and tied ready for all our customers to enjoy the great taste and tenderness that you get from Red Ruby Devon Stock."

Price was fairly competitive too.

I also have a butchers closer in Winton that does dry aged which seems a bit cheaper. These two have now pushed my local butchers in Westbourne down the pecking ordering . Think i maybe spoilt living in Dorset .

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyg156; 11th August 2020 at 15:33.

Master
    Thanks both, Hixson was on my list to try but will keep researching for others. Old school friend is a butcher but he’s 90mins away from me unfortunately. He’s also a farmer, so raises and sells the meat - brilliant combo!

John Davidsons

Turner & George

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    John Davidsons

Turner & George

The list is increasing, thanks!

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Not sure if it helps anyone. Noticed in Homebase that they had a few Kamado Joe JR Red reduced from Ł595 to Ł400. They also had a few accessories.

B

I’m thinking of trying out a bone in leg of lamb this weekend.

Any tips / tricks from the more seasoned kamado users on here would be welcomed

Master
    Bit of a bargain those Homebase ones.

There was one in Maidenhead branch on Saturday if anyone is looking for one.

Craftsman
    The list is increasing, thanks!
    Burgers from Thomas Joseph are the best I have had. I prefer them to Turner and George which are still very good. Thomas Joseph have new 250g Wagyu and Ex-Dairy burgers which I have just ordered to try out alongside their original burgers.

I'll be ordering some brisket from John Davidson when my freezer stocks deplete. Tricky to get grain-fed brisket anywhere and they have a wide selection.

Master
    More to try, thank you.

Burger wise, I always make my own from 15% fat mince & just so easy. Anything I buy seems to be the wrong texture & a bit artificial.

I cook either shaped by hand or the mashed burger onto my flat top when I remember I have one in the cupboard.

Did try the BGE burger twice, first time was amazing, almost unreal how quickly a 1/2lb burger cooked. Second time, science bit me & having dressed the burger, bit into it & found it so raw inside it was inedible. Not tried again since as my wife was unimpressed!

Heads up for bank holiday discounts on Kamado joe here, if anyone is looking.

https://www.morreys.co.uk/collection...=shopify_email

Craftsman
    More to try, thank you.

Burger wise, I always make my own from 15% fat mince & just so easy. Anything I buy seems to be the wrong texture & a bit artificial.

I cook either shaped by hand or the mashed burger onto my flat top when I remember I have one in the cupboard.

Did try the BGE burger twice, first time was amazing, almost unreal how quickly a 1/2lb burger cooked. Second time, science bit me & having dressed the burger, bit into it & found it so raw inside it was inedible. Not tried again since as my wife was unimpressed!
    Yes, I've made bacon burger bombs which are worth a try. Works better with good mince. The ready pressed burgers just work so well for convenience though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Yes, I've made bacon burger bombs which are worth a try. Works better with good mince. The ready pressed burgers just work so well for convenience though.
    Only ever tend to entertain for 8 at a time max (well, used to!), so have never needed convenience; most of the time just the 2 of us as we didn't want children, so always have the time. Know a lot of parents that don't have the luxury, so will be sharing these places with them also.

Forgot to take pork shoulder out of the freezer earlier in the week, so trying a slow cooked lamb dish over the long weekend with my own take on the shawarma rub (no reason other than forgot to order!), looking forward to a chance to pork on the egg. Also looking at what I can do with direct cooking, as really have never used it as such a grill.

Have done the bacon bombs, and loved them, failed every time with cheese loaded ones bursting. Still never tried a fatty on the smoker, as much as I love the idea my food scientist background kicks in on the calorific stupidity of such a meal....but I know I'd love it!

Craftsman
    Only ever tend to entertain for 8 at a time max (well, used to!), so have never needed convenience; most of the time just the 2 of us as we didn't want children, so always have the time. Know a lot of parents that don't have the luxury, so will be sharing these places with them also.

Forgot to take pork shoulder out of the freezer earlier in the week, so trying a slow cooked lamb dish over the long weekend with my own take on the shawarma rub (no reason other than forgot to order!), looking forward to a chance to pork on the egg. Also looking at what I can do with direct cooking, as really have never used it as such a grill.

Have done the bacon bombs, and loved them, failed every time with cheese loaded ones bursting. Still never tried a fatty on the smoker, as much as I love the idea my food scientist background kicks in on the calorific stupidity of such a meal....but I know I'd love it!
    Had to look up fatty. Must give it a try!

https://www.smokedmeatsunday.com/smo...20to%20a%20bun.

Master
    Had to look up fatty. Must give it a try!

https://www.smokedmeatsunday.com/smo...20to%20a%20bun.
    They do look rather good fun, certainly not low on calories though!

Master
    With the proviso that I'm completely new at this -

Full shoulder, I didn't weigh it but it was hefty, brought to room temp and trimmed, scored on fat side and dampened with water and liberally rubbed with the shawarma rub from Angus and oink. Left to marinade while I brought the grill up to temp with Big K restaurant lumpwood and a couple of fist sized pieces of cherry wood.

Cooked indirect with a drip tray underneath at 120?C target temp. I closed down too much early on so temp dropped to 80? about 90 minutes in but I got it back up again.
    I used a meter+ to monitor the temps and it took 9 hours to reach 96?c internal. I didn't wrap it at all and it stalled for the longest 100 mins ever at 78? but I braved it out haha. Rested for a 45 mins then dug in.

I even had pulled lamb tacos tonight using the leftovers. Bloody amazing.
    OK, I may mis-timed this for this evening's meal.

Had a 1kg half leg, do decided that would be half your size & take half the time.

Currently at th 78C stall, 1.5hrs until we planned to eat!

Made my own rub from a well rated recipe, but smelled a little too much of clove for my liking...so why I then rubbed it liberally over the shoulder, I know not!

Fingers crossed it a) tastes nice and b) is reasonably timely.

Feeling a little like when I started smoking & did my first pork butt on a kettle, 14hrs +/-2 hrs, and yup it was the +2hrs, so ate about 10pm finally.

Usually will cook long ones overnight & then hold, but clearly decided something I've never done before would behave as expected!

Craftsman
    OK, I may mis-timed this for this evening's meal.

Had a 1kg half leg, do decided that would be half your size & take half the time.

Currently at th 78C stall, 1.5hrs until we planned to eat!

Made my own rub from a well rated recipe, but smelled a little too much of clove for my liking...so why I then rubbed it liberally over the shoulder, I know not!

Fingers crossed it a) tastes nice and b) is reasonably timely.

Feeling a little like when I started smoking & did my first pork butt on a kettle, 14hrs +/-2 hrs, and yup it was the +2hrs, so ate about 10pm finally.

Usually will cook long ones overnight & then hold, but clearly decided something I've never done before would behave as expected!
    Crutch it? I have never liked waiting for the stall so get ready to wrap all the time. For that size, I guess it would be tricky to get the bark built up in time though.

Master
    Crutch it? I have never liked waiting for the stall so get ready to wrap all the time. For that size, I guess it would be tricky to get the bark built up in time though.
    I never usually wrap, just push on through....feel I might need to tonight though!

Master
    I never usually wrap, just push on through....feel I might need to tonight though!
    Wrapped & already up to 88C.

Won’t be eating it tonight though I imagine.

Amazed 1kg has taken 6hrs already and not to temp.

Master
    Haha just quoted myself. Clearly the beers are flowing too well waiting for food!

Master

Finally off the grill & post a rest.

After pulling.

Am seriously impressed with the flavours and rub, always been pork / beef but this is so moorish to be unreal.

Genuinely as excited about this flavour as when I first did my pulled pork. I’ve had to put it in the outside fridge as keep digging into it for another mouthful!

Craftsman
    I did lamb again yesterday. I had a massive stall at 70⁰ for about 2 hours then time pressure got the better of me and I wrapped it. I had even allowed more time for a lower temp of 110⁰ but I think it was better at 120⁰ much better bark first time. It's all a learning curve.

Master
    I did lamb again yesterday. I had a massive stall at 70â° for about 2 hours then time pressure got the better of me and I wrapped it. I had even allowed more time for a lower temp of 110â° but I think it was better at 120â° much better bark first time. It's all a learning curve.
    The lamb gods were not looking upon us favourably it would seem!

Craftsman
    Just started watching Chef's Table BBQ on Netflix. Some great food on show there.

Just started watching Chef's Table BBQ on Netflix. Some great food on show there.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Watched the first one about Tootsie Tomantez last night - quite moving.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Over the last few weeks I have done everything from Brisket to baby back ribs and by far the best was St Louis ribs yesterday.

I like my BBQ toys and what has changed the game for me is the new Fireboard drive 2 with fan. Ability to set and forget is amazing, especially over night cooking and if I need to go out for the day and check when I am out it is still on track is amazing.

I would defiantly recommend, best night sleep I have every had for over night cooks.

I have no association, but if anyone is looking at one of these, do it. The only downside is the other half does not have the same excitement as me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Watched the first one about Tootsie Tomantez last night - quite moving.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
    I just watched that episode too, she certainly hasn’t had an easy life, losing her hubby and son but what an inspiration to any budding BBQ chef’s!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Fireboard drive 2 with fan.
    Ouch, that is not a cheap upgrade!

I still have my old Pitt IQ something or another, low tech but does the job.

I've often considered something I can monitor when I'm not about, but then realise if something has gone wrong I probably cannot just drop what I'm doing to rescue it!

Master
    Not on the Joe this weekend (still waiting for some half moon solid grates) but 2 pork shoulders on the vertical smoker (freezes great, lasts a month or 2 for quick meals) and then a hash/home fries mix on the flat top grill.

Smoking is a way to preserve meat, from a time when freezing was not an option (the alternative to salt/air drying).
    Is it because it is only partially smoked so as to have a mild smokey taste that you need to freeze them afterward?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I batch it up and vacuum seal it in portions so if we fancy a bit of pulled pork I can get a bag out and poor mans sous vide it back up to temp.

Pulled pork, just wrapped to get past stall. I think about another 4 hours and it will be ready.

Master
    This is probably the longest I have been without kilos of pulled pork in the freezer, gave it all to elderly neighbours at the start of lockdown & never replaced.

Love it as an easy meal, and a pizza topping! Never thought of reheating in sous vide, always just nuke it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Smoking is a way to preserve meat, from a time when freezing was not an option (the alternative to salt/air drying).
    Is it because it is only partially smoked so as to have a mild smokey taste that you need to freeze them afterward?
    Needs to be both cured and smoked for long shelf life. Smoking only won't do that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Pulled pork, just wrapped to get past stall. I think about another 4 hours and it will be ready.

Looks awesome. I did some too yesterday, but a smaller 2KG joint. Just finished the remains for lunch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I just watched that episode too, she certainly hasn’t had an easy life, losing her hubby and son but what an inspiration to any budding BBQ chef’s!
    Episode 2 with Lennox Hastie is a real eye opener regarding pushing the boundaries.