closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Must try pork belly at some stage, I always go for Pork shoulder.

Today beef short ribs, I think they will take circa 7 hours and then 2 to cool. I hope they meet my expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Must try pork belly at some stage, I always go for Pork shoulder.

Today beef short ribs, I think they will take circa 7 hours and then 2 to cool. I hope they meet my expectations
    I'm going to try those soon. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    I love belly burnt ends, great as a change to pulled pork or ribs, great as a meaty side dish too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I love belly burnt ends, great as a change to pulled pork or ribs, great as a meaty side dish too!

Looks great!

Wow they do look great. Here are my short ribs, I have to say I impressed myself and I do think I am harsh at times.

Another one to add the list

I think we should create a BBQ recipe thread. New things we have tried and the ingredients/ rubs or links to what we have done.

My secret sauce today was not just the spices, but I used cholula sauce that gave it a nice kick

Wow they do look great. Here are my short ribs, I have to say I impressed myself and I do think I am harsh at times.

They look fantastic! Who's recipe did you use?

I think we should create a BBQ recipe thread. New things we have tried and the ingredients/ rubs or links to what we have done.

My secret sauce today was not just the spices, but I used cholula sauce that gave it a nice kick

Great idea

Master
    https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-p...ly-burnt-ends/

This was the recipe I used as direction, alongside Memphis Dust from amazing ribs, by go to rub.

Those short ribs look amazing, have never managed to get them properly tender though, might have to try a wrap. Last time I served them, the looked perfect & managed to knock the plates as I was serving and all the meat fell of the bone, very annoying!

Strangely using the same mix of beef rub on short ribs taste great, but on brisket it tastes of so much pepper. Cant work it out, even from the same batch of rub I make.

Recipe thread like the curry one sounds great

Master
    Beef short ribs today.

Butcher had already cut them into singles... but I’ve done singles before and I find, surprisingly, they’re just as good.

Nice and simple this one. Dry brined overnight, then salt and pepper before going on the BBQ.

Currently running close to 275 target temperature.

Last edited by mab; 30th May 2020 at 14:05.

Craftsman
    Trying this today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Trying this today.
    Excellent, look forward to pics!

Blog Entries
    Did brisket (flat) yesterday in the Kamado, 9 hours including resting - it was boody awful

Know where it went wrong though so going to try again this week.

Something easier today - Chicken and lamb kebabs. Enjoy the sun.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Did brisket (flat) yesterday in the Kamado, 9 hours including resting - it was boody awful

Know where it went wrong though so going to try again this week.

Something easier today - Chicken and lamb kebabs. Enjoy the sun.
    Never got brisket right yet!

Exactly the same batch of rub I used on my beef ribs (which tasted great), but on a brisket it was just far too peppery - had to scrape the bark off.

Need to try braising after a smoke given the rubbish briskets we get here without spending Ł45 to experiment, mine are always too tough.

Craftsman
    Excellent, look forward to pics!
    All the family loved them. I think the candied sweetness was a big winner for the kids in particular (my daughters thumbs-up in the pic of the leftovers).

Craftsman
    Never got brisket right yet!

Exactly the same batch of rub I used on my beef ribs (which tasted great), but on a brisket it was just far too peppery - had to scrape the bark off.

Need to try braising after a smoke given the rubbish briskets we get here without spending Ł45 to experiment, mine are always too tough.
    The briskets we get in the UK commonly tend to be flats (not point), smaller and also less marbeled (we tend to get grass fed rather than grain fed beef which is a factor.) which makes them much harder to get right. If they come rolled, I leave them rolled to retain moisture (the fact that they are rolled evidences they are not that thick anyway)

I will do a full grain fed packer when I get the chance out of lockdown when I have the mouths to feed.

Get internal to 203f is the aim, then rest.

Master
    All the family loved them. I think the candied sweetness was a big winner for the kids in particular (my daughters thumbs-up in the pic of the leftovers).
    Always a good sign when so few leftovers, I enjoy them cold from the fridge the next day as a cheeky graze!

Master
    The briskets we get in the UK commonly tend to be flats (not point), smaller and also less marbeled (we tend to get grass fed rather than grain fed beef which is a factor.) which makes them much harder to get right. If they come rolled, I leave them rolled to retain moisture (the fact that they are rolled evidences they are not that thick anyway)

I will do a full grain fed packer when I get the chance out of lockdown when I have the mouths to feed.

Get internal to 203f is the aim, then rest.
    I have toyed with a Packer before but don’t want to entertain & cock up spectacularly with many people expecting food.

Have gone for 203 but without any foil / braise. Seems to be where we get it wrong with our points. I will persevere.

Craftsman
    I have toyed with a Packer before but don’t want to entertain & cock up spectacularly with many people expecting food.

Have gone for 203 but without any foil / braise. Seems to be where we get it wrong with our points. I will persevere.
    I think a crutch is definitely needed for grass fed. It will help retain the moisture. I tried without crutch too and suffered for it with the typical brisket in the UK.

Craftsman
    Always a good sign when so few leftovers, I enjoy them cold from the fridge the next day as a cheeky graze!
    And polished off already. They are even better cold (or rather room temp)! Thanks so much for that recipe.

That is the perfect party starter when we can have them again. Can cook them up in advance and not worry about the temperature.

Craftsman

P.s. the easy rescue is a Pho or noodle soup. I use this as my next day meal for leftovers, but enjoy it even more. Your guests will love it and be none the wiser.

I have suffered a few times when the brisket has come out dry however there is an easy cheat.

I do this every time now as cooking a brisket as cooking and resting it is not an exact science when you have family round to eat.

Once brisket is cool slice as normal. I then either save some fro the next day or wrap up portion size and put in freezer.

Then when needed take out and de frost and put in vegetable steamer. Takes 10 minutes and the steam brings it back to life, gives it extra moisture and still tastes amazing.

I have suffered a few times when the brisket has come out dry however there is an easy cheat.

I do this every time now as cooking a brisket as cooking and resting it is not an exact science when you have family round to eat.

Once brisket is cool slice as normal. I then either save some fro the next day or wrap up portion size and put in freezer.

Then when needed take out and de frost and put in vegetable steamer. Takes 10 minutes and the steam brings it back to life, gives it extra moisture and still tastes amazing.

Done similar with turkey. Sliced, sprinkled with water, placed on plate, covered in foil and put in the oven for 10.

Master
    P.s. the easy rescue is a Pho or noodle soup. I use this as my next day meal for leftovers, but enjoy it even more. Your guests will love it and be none the wiser.
    I’ve always added to a chilli but will try this next time

Good morning.

I've been considering adding a charchol bbq that I can slow cook n smoke for a few months.

I m thinking a masterbuilt komado is a good fit for me and my bank balance. Any of the owners on here got any advise. I'm looking at buying the basic version (funds dicate) . There is one available in my local homebase. I realise I could in the future upgrade parts with KJ accessories, are there cheaper options i should consider.

I would at some point like to add a (divide n conquer sort of set up) that may have to wait.

Any recommendations kindly received. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Good morning.

I've been considering adding a charchol bbq that I can slow cook n smoke for a few months.

I m thinking a masterbuilt komado is a good fit for me and my bank balance. Any of the owners on here got any advise. I'm looking at buying the basic version (funds dicate) . There is one available in my local homebase. I realise I could in the future upgrade parts with KJ accessories, are there cheaper options i should consider.

I would at some point like to add a (divide n conquer sort of set up) that may have to wait.

I would buy it. It's a bargain at that price, especially as you have found somewhere with stock at the moment.

I've found a cast iron pan a good accessory for searing etc.

Craftsman
    Good morning.

Go for it. As you mention the KJ Classic 1 accessories will fit. Also the Wild Goose accessories. I have a Wild Goose with their Charcoal basket. I recommend getting a basket as it makes cleaning so much easier. Of course no rush needed though as many places are out of stock!

Just walked around to look. Just realised how big the pallet n box is. A little too big for my Ford focus. No delivery either, darn!
    Do I buy and push the whole way Home. At least its downhill and hope I can contribute it lol

Craftsman
    Just walked around to look. Just realised how big the pallet n box is. A little too big for my Ford focus. No delivery either, darn!
    Do I buy and push the whole way Home. At least its downhill and hope I can contribute it lol

It is 100+ kilos so a big risk trying to roll it downhill.

You could open it up and separate the firebox from the bottom segment and the lid and place on various seats with seatbelts then drive carefully. Depends on distance..

Master
    I remember when my XL BGE and table were delivered. Had to wait for a friend to finish work to help build and carry the table & then the components.

It is 100+ kilos so a big risk trying to roll it downhill.

You could open it up and separate the firebox from the bottom segment and the lid and place on various seats with seatbelts then drive carefully. Depends on distance..
    Good consideration about the weight. Its only 1km at most and only 3 road crossings. But the weight has scuppered that idea.
    Now thinking other options or wait for the July and free delivery options some websites are offering.

Managed to sort transport so picking up the Masterbuilt Kamado in a few minutes. I managed to blag a free Kamado Joe cover too. So not a bad deal i think at Ł580.

Now looking at divide and conquer and basket.

Kick Ass Basket looks good!

Anyone here with experience of YNNI products. Or any other recommendations for the divide n conquer set up.

Thank you for all the tips throughout thread. I've used a few for charcoal n wood purchasing.

Sent from my SM-G986B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    Beef short ribs today.

Butcher had already cut them into singles... but I’ve done singles before and I find, surprisingly, they’re just as good.

Nice and simple this one. Dry brined overnight, then salt and pepper before going on the BBQ.

Currently running close to 275 target temperature.

Is that a Pit Barrel Jr? Where did you get that in the UK? How do you find it? Interested in one as i don't need huge capacity, have a kettle for grilling, so don't need a versatile BGE or Kamado, the Pit barrel Jr would be perfect for me i think

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Is that a Pit Barrel Jr? Where did you get that in the UK? How do you find it? Interested in one as i don't need huge capacity, have a kettle for grilling, so don't need a versatile BGE or Kamado, the Pit barrel Jr would be perfect for me i think

Cheers
    Indeed it is.

I bought it from Garden Gift Shop, but I got the impression that stock was in very short supply. Since I bought mine, I’ve not seen them available anywhere... including on eBay and Amazon where a few had been available previously.

I have a 57cm Weber kettle as well, and the PBJ complements it perfectly. I find smoking on the Weber quite an monitoring / effort intensive exercise as temp fluctuates a fair amount requiring frequent air vent adjustment.

The PBJ is much more stable. It tends to run a little hotter (around 275-290) when left to its own devices, but you can easily influence that down by restricting airflow through the rebar holes (exhaust end rather than intake).

It is producing much better results than the Weber, when smoking. That may be due to me honing my skills during lockdown on the PBJ, but it’s simply a better setup... e.g. smoking a Boston Butt on the kettle means one side is closer to the heat source than the other and cooks more accordingly. Hanging it in the PBJ results in a very even cook. I’m finding meat is more succulent on the PBJ too.

The other thing I’m really enjoying is the taste, albeit this is personal preference. Smoking with wood (I tend to use hickory given its versatility) can sometimes result in what I consider to be an overpowering taste. The PBJ self smokes and doesn’t require wood (although you can use it) - the fat from the meat drops and hits the charcoal and smokes accordingly. Whilst there is a clear and strong smoked flavour to the meat, it’s never overpowering for my palate which is presumably because the smoke is a perfect partner to the meat since the meat has produced the smoke.

Overall, I’m delighted with the PBJ. I think my longest cook so far has been about 7 hours iirc - if you were going for, say, a 10+ hour cook then you’d definitely have to refill which would be a bit of a pain.

I dont believe its quite as (temp) stable as an expensive kamado, but it’s significantly more stable than the Weber kettle in my experience. The way it cooks also means that the meat is somehow less susceptible to movements in temperature - I’ve cooked things at higher temp than I’m used to but the result are genuinely excellent.

Highly recommended if you can find one...

Craftsman
    Indeed it is.

I bought it from Garden Gift Shop, but I got the impression that stock was in very short supply. Since I bought mine, I’ve not seen them available anywhere... including on eBay and Amazon where a few had been available previously.

I have a 57cm Weber kettle as well, and the PBJ complements it perfectly. I find smoking on the Weber quite an monitoring / effort intensive exercise as temp fluctuates a fair amount requiring frequent air vent adjustment.

The PBJ is much more stable. It tends to run a little hotter (around 275-290) when left to its own devices, but you can easily influence that down by restricting airflow through the rebar holes (exhaust end rather than intake).

It is producing much better results than the Weber, when smoking. That may be due to me honing my skills during lockdown on the PBJ, but it’s simply a better setup... e.g. smoking a Boston Butt on the kettle means one side is closer to the heat source than the other and cooks more accordingly. Hanging it in the PBJ results in a very even cook. I’m finding meat is more succulent on the PBJ too.

The other thing I’m really enjoying is the taste, albeit this is personal preference. Smoking with wood (I tend to use hickory given its versatility) can sometimes result in what I consider to be an overpowering taste. The PBJ self smokes and doesn’t require wood (although you can use it) - the fat from the meat drops and hits the charcoal and smokes accordingly. Whilst there is a clear and strong smoked flavour to the meat, it’s never overpowering for my palate which is presumably because the smoke is a perfect partner to the meat since the meat has produced the smoke.

Overall, I’m delighted with the PBJ. I think my longest cook so far has been about 7 hours iirc - if you were going for, say, a 10+ hour cook then you’d definitely have to refill which would be a bit of a pain.

I dont believe its quite as (temp) stable as an expensive kamado, but it’s significantly more stable than the Weber kettle in my experience. The way it cooks also means that the meat is somehow less susceptible to movements in temperature - I’ve cooked things at higher temp than I’m used to but the result are genuinely excellent.

Highly recommended if you can find one...
    Nice write up. One question on hanging the boston butt, is there a risk it gets too tender and drops?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice write up. One question on hanging the boston butt, is there a risk it gets too tender and drops?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I’ve read about the odd mishap with ribs, but never with a Boston butt... albeit not to say it’s never happened.

I’ve done numerous ribs and at least a couple of butts. I single hook beneath the second rib and double hook butts, and they’ve never felt in any danger of dropping whatsoever.

Master
    Mab, what do you use as a heat plate as this looks like you are cooking direct albeit at a distance vs indirect as a normal smoker would?

My pork butts could never hold on a couple of hooks, have to use a large burger spatula to remove them from the grill once they are cooked.

Master
    Mab, what do you use as a heat plate as this looks like you are cooking direct albeit at a distance vs indirect as a normal smoker would?

My pork butts could never hold on a couple of hooks, have to use a large burger spatula to remove them from the grill once they are cooked.
    By design, there is no deflector plate - the setup is as you see in the photo and the meat hangs directly over the coals (obviously with a lid on the barrel). The promotional video will doubtlessly talk about convection this and circulation that, but it’s a tried and tested product with a huge following in the US... and I can confirm from my experience that it just works.

When hanging ribs, they hang very close to the coals... but it doesn’t burn the lower quarter of the rack and undercook the higher quarter, for example. It provides an even cook throughout.

The stainless steel hooks inserted into a pork butt correctly hold it no problem. I’ve seen butts of several kilos being cooked on the PBC without issue on YouTube videos, albeit I don’t need that size to feed my family so I’ve maxed out c.3kg from memory.

Master
    Thanks for that, really strange how it’s convection & even more so that the lower ribs aren’t cooked more than the upper ones, defies all logic. Very intriguing piece of kit but can’t justify having another bbq!

Will do some reading on them as seem a really interesting design & goes in a different direction to the WSM I learnt to cook with.

Quick and easy salt n chilli pork belly strips tonight.

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Quick and easy salt n chilli pork belly strips tonight.
    Oooh, the CostCo ones?

I've got a Tomahawk steak for my birthday on Saturday. Just one. Just for me.

Everyone else can watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Oooh, the CostCo ones?

I've got a Tomahawk steak for my birthday on Saturday. Just one. Just for me.

Everyone else can watch.
    I like you’re style sir!

Best birthday present in my book.

My pork belly strips were from Lidl and rather tasty.

Master
    Not on the Egg (Louisiana Vertical Smoker this one) but some ribs from last week being sauced up before going back in.

Current garden gadgets consist of:

• Kamado Joe Classic - must be coming up to 8 years old and used weekly. Only had to replace the felt once. Was on the wheeled stand but splashed out on the Kamado Joe Cart a couple of months back.
    • Kamado Joe Junior - when its just me and the mrs.
    • Louisiana pellet smoker - had a month or so after selling my other smoker a couple of years back.
    • Ooni Pro - had them all over the years
    • Roccbox

Had initial issues. One of the carriage bars was not fitting. Quick pop into Homebase and they was willing to swap part with the showroom model ( holes not in correct place/ bar slightly large- supplied with in-correct part from china factory) .
    But all now ready for heating up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That masterbuilt looks great, the stand is better than my KJ2

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It is definitely solid and fit for task. Already ordered a KJ ash basket. Now waiting on finding an in stock Divide n conquer. Then sorted for the bbq season

Master
    Where are you guys buying your charcoal from?

I hear there is good and bad, but all I’ve used is Big K as I bought about 100kg on a deal several years ago... which I’ve been happy with. I’ll need more soon though.

Craftsman
    Where are you guys buying your charcoal from?

I hear there is good and bad, but all I’ve used is Big K as I bought about 100kg on a deal several years ago... which I’ve been happy with. I’ll need more soon though.

Bit of a newbie here with the Egg, been using BarBeQuick instant light stuff that came with it, seems OK but looking for other options. Found some Big K in The Range warehouse today, 15kg for Ł25, be rude not to try it.

I buy direct from Big K their restaurant grade in 15kg bags. It is cheaper direct and i find it pretty good quality, but if the bag has been thrown around you can find some of the pieces a bit small. . I usually order 8-10 bags at a time, but you need storage.

I did try Kamado Joe XL lumpwood and while the pieces are large I did feel it was expensive and left on odd taste to the chicken, so I am staying with Big K.

MY 2 pence worth