closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Yes a pizza stone can be used as a heat deflector for indirect cooking. For the lidl kamado, a 9" stone can be gotten for £10-15. You will ideally need some sort of wire rack to rest the stone on, then there will be the grate with a sufficient air gap above it.
    Thank you!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I've seen on a few YouTube videos that Weber's version of this, the twin steel walled Summit, is preferred by some. Does anyone have direct experience?

https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...id=226#start=1

Last year the weber was the one I was going to get, but for a steel BBQ (even double skin) it just did not feel in the same league/quality as a KJ or BGE.

If it had been just under 1k mark I would have bought it.

Good luck, I love one of each:)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Last year the weber was the one I was going to get, but for a steel BBQ (even double skin) it just did not feel in the same league/quality as a KJ or BGE.

If it had been just under 1k mark I would have bought it.

Good luck, I love one of each:)
    I looked at it too, but prices for many ceramic Kamados are half the price, so no compelling argument for the Weber. At under £1k it would be viable. There are good reviews on the web for it, but nothing that makes it stand out over the competition.

Master
    Agree, whilst the twin walled Weber came out after I had my BGE, it never felt quite as special when I interacted with it in a store.

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thanks for the tip - tried this today, it was a hit and going to be repeated very often!
    Although next time will remember to put them on whilst we're eating, not afterwards!

We added a sprinkle of cinnamon along with the brown sugar.
    Also had a scope of ice cream (salted caramel) with each ring. The cold vs hot was great!
    Yup, spoon of ice cream goes lovely. Not tried the cinamon but bet that is good too! We're managing a bbq every other day at the moment. Has become a bit of a habit to light it at 5 and as soon as 5:30 hits starting cooking.

You can replace the pineapple with other things such as peaches. BBQ'd fruit with a spot of sugar and alcohol makes the summer evening evening that bit better!

Journeyman
    Just ordered mine from this place https://www.theovo.co.uk/

Got the grey Ash colour. Delivery on Friday, hopefully.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Probably going to order a Kamado Joe Classic 2 tomorrow. Any good deals around ? Best I have found so far is from BBQ World, which includes a grate, griddle, cover and 2 bags of charcoal for around 1400.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Probably going to order a Kamado Joe Classic 2 tomorrow. Any good deals around ? Best I have found so far is from BBQ World, which includes a grate, griddle, cover and 2 bags of charcoal for around 1400.
    Don’t think there are any available anywhere in the country. The only one I could find it the KJ big joe 3 and I can’t bring myself to spend £2.5k on a BBQ.

There aren’t any Masterbuilt in the country either which is what I think I will end up going with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Don’t think there are any available anywhere in the country. The only one I could find it the KJ big joe 3 and I can’t bring myself to spend £2.5k on a BBQ.

There aren’t any Masterbuilt in the country either which is what I think I will end up going with.

Masterbuilt available here for early June delivery - https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-s...o-MCG300S.html

Are you sure? We recently bought ours from here, arrived on a next day service, dispatched within 3 days of ordering:
    https://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges/ma...e-ovens-1.html

Master

I bought my KJ 3 from BBQ Barn in Sidcup & they delivered within 48 hours and are saying end of May,early June now.

They have a KJ2 deal here for 1499 - but if you sign up to the newsletter you get 10% off your orders:

1x Kamado Joe Classic II in Cart
    - 1x Kamado Joe Cover
    - 1x Kamado Joe Pizza Stone  
    - 1x Kamado Joe cast iron Reversible Griddle
    - 1x Pizza Paddle
    - 2x Rubs / Salts / Sauces / Marinade (will Depend on stock)
    - 1x Quality Lump Wood Charcoal
    - 1x Eco Fire Lighters

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Are you sure? We recently bought ours from here, arrived on a next day service, dispatched within 3 days of ordering:
    https://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges/ma...e-ovens-1.html
    Not 100% but I will check. Thanks!

Master
    Masterbuilt available here for early June delivery - https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-s...o-MCG300S.html

Master
    Not 100% but I will check. Thanks!

They all say pre order for July delivery, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    I bought my KJ 3 from BBQ Barn in Sidcup & they delivered within 48 hours and are saying end of May,early June now.

They have a KJ2 deal here for 1499 - but if you sign up to the newsletter you get 10% off your orders:

1x Kamado Joe Classic II in Cart
    - 1x Kamado Joe Cover
    - 1x Kamado Joe Pizza Stone  
    - 1x Kamado Joe cast iron Reversible Griddle
    - 1x Pizza Paddle
    - 2x Rubs / Salts / Sauces / Marinade (will Depend on stock)
    - 1x Quality Lump Wood Charcoal
    - 1x Eco Fire Lighters
    Thanks for this - I cant see any reference to signing up for the newsletter to get 10%?

They all say pre order for July delivery, I will give them a call tomorrow.

They are not fully open yet, so you can only leave a message.

Email josh@birstall.com

I dealt with him. He knocked 140 quid off the classic 2 bundle for me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    They are not fully open yet, so you can only leave a message.

Email josh@birstall.com

I dealt with him. He knocked 140 quid off the classic 2 bundle for me.

Master
    Thanks for this - I cant see any reference to signing up for the newsletter to get 10%?
    Hi, you're right i can't see it either - possibly suspended i guess?

Probably worth a phone call as the guy was very straightforward to deal with, so if you say it's a referral & you thought there was 10% off he may well honour it.....
    Last edited by luckyal; 21st May 2020 at 08:43.

Master
    I managed to get the Lidl version this morning, so let’s see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    Hi, you're right i can't see it either - possibly suspended i guess?

Probably worth a phone call as the guy was very straightforward to deal with, so if you say it's a referral & you thought there was 10% off he may well honour it.....
    I’ll try a few places today - thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Looks like good value that one!

Master
    Let us know how you get on, a few pics would be good too.

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know how you get on, a few pics would be good too.

Angry

Wanna a laugh as I am about to cry, I just got a call to say my KJ will not be coming today, they have dropped it.....

Master
    Wanna a laugh as I am about to cry, I just got a call to say my KJ will not be coming today, they have dropped it.....
    Get yourself to Lidl sharpish!

Master
    The paranoia as i, with the help of my wife & daughter, tried to lift a 290lb egg from crate to stand was very strong!

Did they have many in stock? Wouldn't mind one of these for my caravan. Nearest one to me is about 15 miles away though and no way to check stock levels.

Master
    My nearest had none, and hadn’t had any delivered. The second closest had 3, then 2 when I got mine at 8.15 this morning and it’s a pain you can’t call ahead to check or reserve.
    Last edited by alanm_3; 21st May 2020 at 14:08.

So they have said 2-3 weeks before they can get another.

However, the have just come up with an amazing opp.......................

In about an hour, I will have a Big Joe III

Back to being over the moon

Before you ask, not a free upgrade, but I am happy with what we agreed. Pics coming later:)

My nearest had none, and hadn’t had any delivered. The second closest had 3, then 2 when I got mine at 8.15 this morning and it’s a pain you can’t call ahead to check or reserve.
    Thanks for that. Don't think it will be worth the trip then.

Journeyman
    My lumpwood charcoal arrived today. 40kgs of it. Kamado should arrive tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

All things today I gotta say size does matter.

As you can see my wife is next in the BBQ. Maybe overkill for two people, but will not have to worry about do we have enough space for the brisket

Master
    Can easily control and build a smaller fire with fire bricks, but can’t create more grill width, height yes, but that doesn’t help with huge cuts of meat.

I cooked on my Smokey Joe today instead of lighting up the XL, loved the size of it & unfortunately now looking at a minimax for quick high temp cooks.

The wife is not amused.

As you can see my wife is next in the BBQ. Maybe overkill for two people, but will not have to worry about do we have enough space for the brisket

That’s a beast! Congrats!

Craftsman

Nice purchase. Look forward to pics of your cooks.

Journeyman
    Jesus! How much does it weigh?

Only 250lbs, glad they put it togther

Just realized that the egg BBQs remind me of these:

Master
    Anyone seen these:

https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/sho...luetooth-9350/

Looks interesting!

Anyone seen these:

Looks interesting!
    "There's nothing you can cook in a domestic kitched, that you can't cook in this." - go on then, make me Eggs Benedict.

It does look interesting though, and the price is comparable to ceramic grills.

Craftsman
    Anyone seen these:

Looks interesting!
    Looks like a great bit of kit.

Temperature probes and heat deflector included. Cast iron grate on the bottom for searing and steel grates above them for slower cooking. Electric ignition for easy starting. Side access for fuel top up. Storage drawer at the bottom. Downside is no side tables and mains power needed for the starting and temperature monitoring.

https://youtu.be/Dkuaiavn3Mc

Master
    Looks like a great bit of kit.

Temperature probes and heat deflector included. Cast iron grate on the bottom for searing and steel grates above them for slower cooking. Electric ignition for easy starting. Side access for fuel top up. Storage drawer at the bottom. Downside is no side tables and mains power needed for the starting and temperature monitoring.

https://youtu.be/Dkuaiavn3Mc
    I love a bit of tech and it seems to do everything the KJ with some cool upgrades. Going to do some investigating I think.......

Amazon have got 4 Kamado Joe 2 in stock if anyone is still looking

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01INNA89S/ref=twister_B07V4NMHK1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    Slight change to the usual ribs yesterday, gone for a Chinese style & no wood smoke.

Looked very bright as they went on, but the smell was amazing. Just basted final sauce before removing. Little annoyed I followed the recipe rather than my judgement regarding corn flour to thicken the sauce as I feel I can ‘taste” the powder.

And we won’t be repeating that, was just wrong, think the corn flour ruined it for me & nowhere near enough sauce for a cheeky dip, can’t believe how much soy sauce was used, luckily I buy it in 5L containers.

Back to a more traditional dry rub with home made bbq sauce to dress it with tonight. Due off the BGE in an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Not a BGE / KJ / ceramic Kamado, but a relatively recent purchase which I’ve been using a lot.

It’s a Pit Barrel Cooker... or actually a Pit Barrel Junior, the smaller version. Whilst it’s a relatively small diameter, food hangs so you can easily get 6+ full racks of ribs on there for example.

I’ve not used any wood for smoking since I bought it. Given the food hangs above the coals, the fat from the meat drips and turns into smoke meaning it ‘self smokes’.

It’s a great bit of kit, albeit not on the same level as BGE / KJ... but I’m building up to purchasing one of those!

^^^^^^ So long as you attain the end result, that’s all that matters.

Love the stone “table” by the way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    Not a BGE / KJ / ceramic Kamado, but a relatively recent purchase which I’ve been using a lot.

It’s a Pit Barrel Cooker... or actually a Pit Barrel Junior, the smaller version. Whilst it’s a relatively small diameter, food hangs so you can easily get 6+ full racks of ribs on there for example.

I’ve not used any wood for smoking since I bought it. Given the food hangs above the coals, the fat from the meat drips and turns into smoke meaning it ‘self smokes’.

It’s a great bit of kit, albeit not on the same level as BGE / KJ... but I’m building up to purchasing one of those!

Great set up! You have some good kit there. The benefit the Kamado gives is the heat insulation, but you have sear and smoke capabilities, so no rush needed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    ^^^^^^ So long as you attain the end result, that’s all that matters.

Love the stone “table” by the way.
    Thanks - really pleased with the ‘table’ / trough.

My setup was all wrong at the old house, but I learned from it. When doing some work on the garden at the new house a couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to re-purpose this trough from its existing location where it served no purpose... and it has been great.

Great set up! You have some good kit there. The benefit the Kamado gives is the heat insulation, but you have sear and smoke capabilities, so no rush needed.
    Thank you. I have a ‘slow n sear’ style basket in the Weber too, which I’ve been very pleased with... although I’ve not done anything other than smoke on the PBC since it arrived.

The insulation of the Kamado does sound great... plus, from what I’ve seen on YouTube videos, its ability maintain a constant temperature for long periods with little to no air vent adjustments. I found the Weber needed a reasonable amount of monitoring and fiddling, whereas the PBC needs less.

The other Kamado style grill I’ve kept an eye on the last couple of years is the Weber Summit Charcoal, but they don’t seem very common / popular (as confirmed a couple of pages back in this thread).
    Last edited by mab; 25th May 2020 at 23:31.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian

The insulation of the Kamado does sound great... plus, from what I’ve seen on YouTube videos, its ability maintain a constant temperature for long periods with little to no air vent adjustments. I found the Weber needed a reasonable amount of monitoring and fiddling, whereas the PBC needs less.

The other Kamado style grill I’ve kept an eye on the last couple of years is the Weber Summit Charcoal, but they don’t seem very common / popular (as confirmed a couple of pages back in this thread).
    If you can get the Weber Summit Charcoal at a good discount then it will be worth it. But the clone KJs are hard to beat at half that Weber Summit price.

Journeyman

Smoked a belly of pork yesterday. Bloody lovely.