closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Had a bit of time with smoker and they’re great for doing just that. With the WiFire features on the traeger, you can set a temperature and leave it to do its thing. If you want to do any other kind of cooking however they’re not designed for it.

Kamado cooking however is the most dynamic outdoor cooking in my opinion. They hold temperature for a long time, can keep really cool or really hot and are very efficient on fuel. Once you get used to them they’re also relatively easy to set and forget, I can feel quite confident that my kamado can do an 8 hour cook maintaining pretty stable temps with almost no (and sometimes no) adjustment.

If I was picking just one outdoor grill I’d pick a kamado without a doubt then I’d add more specific cookers to it when I have the space/cash/patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    I have no experience of pellet grills, but if you just want to set and forget that would probably be your best option. The Joe would probably give you more all round flexibility, from low and slow to a high temperature pizza cook. I believe pellet grills max out at 450f 250C. Where as the Joe can go to 800f 425C

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, thats helpful. Agree the joe will have more flexibility!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    Had a bit of time with smoker and they’re great for doing just that. With the WiFire features on the traeger, you can set a temperature and leave it to do its thing. If you want to do any other kind of cooking however they’re not designed for it.

Kamado cooking however is the most dynamic outdoor cooking in my opinion. They hold temperature for a long time, can keep really cool or really hot and are very efficient on fuel. Once you get used to them they’re also relatively easy to set and forget, I can feel quite confident that my kamado can do an 8 hour cook maintaining pretty stable temps with almost no (and sometimes no) adjustment.

If I was picking just one outdoor grill I’d pick a kamado without a doubt then I’d add more specific cookers to it when I have the space/cash/patience.

I guess i need to have a look at how to use these. Thanks again for the helpful advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    I guess i need to have a look at how to use these. Thanks again for the helpful advice.

If you are looking for Kamado tips try here Smoking dad bbq

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...gn-1jAyyB7Xo_o

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post

You can also get temp controllers for the ceramic cookers for the added confidence. I use one all the time on my egg.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    If you are looking for Kamado tips try here Smoking dad bbq

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...gn-1jAyyB7Xo_o

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You can also get temp controllers for the ceramic cookers for the added confidence. I use one all the time on my egg.
    Brilliant!

Blog Entries
    Anyone doing the Xmas day cook on their kamado? I'm so late this year I haven't even thought what to do. Possibly prime Rob roast beef.

Rotisserie turkey on the kamado for me :-)

Rib of beef.

Master
    I wish, sister wants her daughter to have Christmas at home - will be cooking a 5 rib of beef I have not used for 3 years.

Would love to be doing it at mine, egg for the main roast & see what happens. I have a spare 5 rib for Easter but cannot decide between the egg or sous vide and sear.

Should Boris screw it all up last minute, we have a lovely sirloin roast and an amazing spatchcock chicken to cook for the 2 of us.

Alongside 1kg of homemade sausagemeat rissoles, 2 dozen pigs in blankets plus all the other trimmings.

Craftsman
    Fired up at 7am, temp set to 135, indirect cooking a 2.5kg Turkey crown with bacon lattice.

Meat on at 8am, going for 3-3.5hrs cooking, internal temp should be around 70 then resting in loose foil for the drive over to my daughters. Hopefully a final internal temp around 74 after 30 minutes rest.

Hope you all have a good one.

Master
    Bit of a heads up, the Aldi Kamado goes on sale again tomorrow’s (13th) morning at 8am.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Bit of a heads up, the Aldi Kamado goes on sale again tomorrow’s (13th) morning at 8am.

This is a full size Kamado (116 x 66 x 111.5cm), rather than the mini one they're sold previously. Ł399.99 Gardenline Kamado Ceramic Egg BBQ - ALDI UK

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    This is a full size Kamado (116 x 66 x 111.5cm), rather than the mini one they're sold previously. Ł399.99 Gardenline Kamado Ceramic Egg BBQ - ALDI UK
    That’s the one they’ve sold for the last few years, the mini was a more recent addition.

Master
    These were almost impossible to get last year, good to see they’re back early

Master
    Indeed it the full size version. I’ve had one since before CV came along and it’s great.

Blog Entries
    Kamado Joe owners, any views on whether the classic III is worth the extra over the classic II? Thinking of chopping my Wild Goose for a KJ, whilst there A). looks to be availability, and B). some decent bundle offers around.

Waiting for my Aldi delivery. It’s not a Kamado Joe or a BGE but it’s all I can afford so it will do. I may need help when it gets there but this thread is already very good.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I don’t think the III is worth the extra money over the II, I certainly have never regretted getting a II, buy a joetisserie with the money you save!

The Aldi egg is great, unbeatable for the money, you’ll really enjoy using it, I had one for a couple of years, and loved it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I don’t think the III is worth the extra money over the II, I certainly have never regretted getting a II, buy a joetisserie with the money you save!
    Thank you for feedback. What's the SloRoller Hyberbolic chamber? I've got pretty much every KJ accessory which fits the WG, including the JoeTisserie so it may come down to whether my man maths can make the numbers work.

The Aldi egg is great, unbeatable for the money, you’ll really enjoy using it, I had one for a couple of years, and loved it.
    Cheers for that. It seems to come well kitted too, so that will be a good way to learn.
    I already use a Meater + thermometer which gives me the temperature inside the roast and outside, and just received my lump charcoal and wood chips. All set bar the egg

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Waiting for my Aldi delivery. It’s not a Kamado Joe or a BGE but it’s all I can afford so it will do. I may need help when it gets there but this thread is already very good.
    I really think it’s comparable to BGE. It’s excellent value for money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thank you for feedback. What's the SloRoller Hyberbolic chamber? I've got pretty much every KJ accessory which fits the WG, including the JoeTisserie so it may come down to whether my man maths can make the numbers work.
    I’ve got a WG, can I ask which accessories you have and which you use most. I’ve always wondered which ones are compatible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’ve got a WG, can I ask which accessories you have and which you use most. I’ve always wondered which ones are compatible.
    JoeTisserie the most, always excellent results. Had great Sunday roast chicken using the rotisserie today. DoJoe occasionally, again decent results, and kids love getting involved, but always feels a bit of a faff to set up etc. Otherwise have all the griddles, grates, which fit perfectly. I'm looking at a soapstone next, hadn't heard much about it but searching around it seems you get a better sear.

The other thing that I found improved cooking on the WG is replacing the ash grate with an ash basket. Better air flow, and easier to clear the ash out.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 27th March 2022 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    JoeTisserie the most, always excellent results. Had great Sunsay roast chicken using the rotisserie today. DoJoe occasionally, again decent results, and kids love getting involved, but always feels a bit of a faff to set up etc. Otherwise gave all the griddles, grates, which fit perfectly. I'm looking at a soapstone next, hadn't heard much about it but searching around it seems you get a better sear.

The other thing that I found I proved cooking on the WG is replacing the ask grate with an ash basket. Better air flow, and easier to clear the ash out.
    The soapstone is great for steaks, I have one for my Joe Jr and I use it a lot.

Master
    I used my minimax for the first time for a 5hr cook rather than just shorter ones.

Having dropped a 1.7kg lamb shoulder and iron skillet (that pretty much filled the diameter of the plate setter), I was amazed how long it took the egg temperature to bounce back up.

I am guessing my XL in its size holds significantly more thermal load & can deal with the addition of a hunk of ambient meat & metal more so.

I know it is obvious, but was generally amazed and dinner was thus delayed somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I used my minimax for the first time for a 5hr cook rather than just shorter ones.

Having dropped a 1.7kg lamb shoulder and iron skillet (that pretty much filled the diameter of the plate setter), I was amazed how long it took the egg temperature to bounce back up.

I am guessing my XL in its size holds significantly more thermal load & can deal with the addition of a hunk of ambient meat & metal more so.

I know it is obvious, but was generally amazed and dinner was thus delayed somewhat.
    I thought the minimax was for a couple of people, so adding 1.7 kg of meat must indeed have sucked quite a bit of heat off.

Master
    I thought the minimax was for a couple of people, so adding 1.7 kg of meat must indeed have sucked quite a bit of heat off.
    Greedy 2 people with leftovers the night after!

It fitted, so didn’t even think about the heat issues. The XL loaded with 12kg of meat didn’t have anywhere near as much of a heat suck.

I know know and can plan, but loved cooking on the tiny one for a change as the XL always feels big when just the 2 of us, hence the addition!

I was not criticising the quantities. In fact I approve
    And yes, having those 2 makes sense. Not sure I could cook 12kg in one go (certainly not in the Aldi) but it must have been quite a feat (and feast).

Going to bite the bullet for this summer.

Anybody looked at/own one of these?

(Price seems reasonable?)

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...e-egg-barbecue
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Looks good but 1 year guarantee only (Aldi is 3 years). A bit bigger at 120 x 73 x 135 though (Aldi is only 116 x 66 x 111.5cm)

Master
    I was not criticising the quantities. In fact I approve
    And yes, having those 2 makes sense. Not sure I could cook 12kg in one go (certainly not in the Aldi) but it must have been quite a feat (and feast).
    I have added a second Weber grill grate that sits on carriage bolts. Was a monster batch of pulled pork for family who all wanted some for freezers.

Can’t find a photo of it, only this one of 8 racks of ribs and the 9kg of pork that preceded it.

Master

Very lazy entertaining until the final frantic 20 mins to get chips cooked and pork pulled.

Superb.

The rack of ribs is probably going to be my first attempt in an egg. The test will be stern, my 16 yo will take no prisoner if it's not to her expectations

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

If I was in the market now I'd be getting one of these I think https://kamadokings.co.uk/media-red/

I've heard nothing but good reports of thier customer service and product.

I have one of these though https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/masterbui...arcoal-bbq.asp This is a Kamado Joe in all but name, same parent company, same wararnty, same quality....some of the labeling even says Kamado Joe when you unpack it!! It doesn't come with the KJ Divide and Conquer system but that can be bought seperately and added to as you like. I love mine and it will probably outlive me! This is a pretty great price too, I saw it flagged on a FB group yesterday.
    Joe

Master
    Superb.

The rack of ribs is probably going to be my first attempt in an egg. The test will be stern, my 16 yo will take no prisoner if it's not to her expectations
    Once you start, you cannot stop the process. My parents don’t eat ribs anywhere else now as prefer mine. Parents in law the same.

They all like to take racks away too, so when family visit it’s usually pork overnight and then ribs on at 2pm.

I used to mess about with foil, spritzing etc but now just remove the membrane, rub with yellow mustard and rub before throwing on.

Costco ribs about Ł22 for 4 are a decent size weight. 5hrs later sauce and serve. Don’t even open the lid these days with either these or pork shoulder.

Aldi egg ordered this evening off the back, or should that be baby back, of this thread.

Really interested to see what and how this ceramic egg thing works.

Master

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

First cook for a while

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    First cook for a while

Looks great!

What temp did you cook the bird at and for how long?

Up at 6:30 today to get the kleftiko on, it’s been marinating all night, by 3pm it should be delicious.

Master
    What cooking setup is that?

Looks like it could be very useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should wrap the kleftiko or it risks drying out. Otherwise great idea and I might try that this Monday.

You should wrap the kleftiko or it risks drying out. Otherwise great idea and I might try that this Monday.
    Normally yeah, it’d be wrapped, but what you can’t see in the pic is that cast iron pot has a very heavy lid that keeps all the moisture in, hopefully!

Normally yeah, it’d be wrapped, but what you can’t see in the pic is that cast iron pot has a very heavy lid that keeps all the moisture in, hopefully!
    That’s brilliant. You can seal it if you want with a paste made from a mix of flour and (a little) water.

That’s brilliant. You can seal it if you want with a paste made from a mix of flour and (a little) water.
    It’s doing well, halfway through the lamb cooking time all the potatoes are cooked, so they’ve come out and a new lot have gone in, you can’t have too many spuds at a family meal in Yorkshire.

My lot must have very pointed teeth as they might well leave a white bone before you even get a chance to serve the spuds but I think I know the feeling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Looks great!

What temp did you cook the bird at and for how long?
    The temperature got a little high, but it was about 140. I think it was about 90 minutes but I used a probe and took it off at 74.

Master
    Superb.

You tried the ribs yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Up at 6:30 today to get the kleftiko on, it’s been marinating all night, by 3pm it should be delicious.

What is the 4 way holding device / set up for that pot?