closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Nice start to the day, wife just bought me the junior for my birthday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Happy Birthday & wish mine would do that!

Happy Birthday!

I also got the Jr a few weeks ago. Ive found it brilliant for when im only cooking for the 2 of us.

If you are looking for a charcoal basket the Monolith junior fits perfectly.

Did a picahna (Rump cap) on the joetisserie this weekend. It was by far the best beef dish I have ever cooked myself.

Would thoroughly recommend it, if anyone is looking for something to try.

Joe

Craftsman
    I'm loving my Masterbuilt kamado.
    Today I did a low and slow pork shoulder with char siu rub over cherrywood for 8 hours.
    Pulled it and used as a pancake filling with Hoi sin sauce, cucumber and spring onion.
    It was AMAZING.

Master
    Will be giving that a try at some point, sounds great.

Made pork belly burnt ends Saturday

Then threw a shoulder on as I removed the ends to cook overnight for Sunday lunch.

Then having smoked the skin, made crackling from the belly trimming.

They are very tasty!

Craftsman
    That looks amazing!!

Blog Entries
    Anyone have a decent turkey receipt? We're thinking of doing the Xmas day roast turkey on the egg, had a trial run tonight and it came out OK but think there is potential for something pretty good. Interested to hear if anyone has any good experiences.

Edited to add: tonight I just followed my normal roast chicken recipe, bit of olive oil and seasoning and chuck on at 375 degrees (F) for about 45-60mins then rest for half hour. The meat was moist but the fibres a little tough. I wonder if its possible to low and slow a turkey to break up the fibres but retain the moisture.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 12th December 2020 at 19:33.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Anyone have a decent turkey receipt? We're thinking of doing the Xmas day roast turkey on the egg, had a trial run tonight and it came out OK but think there is potential for something pretty good. Interested to hear if anyone has any good experiences.

Edited to add: tonight I just followed my normal roast chicken recipe, bit of olive oil and seasoning and chuck on at 375 degrees (F) for about 45-60mins then rest for half hour. The meat was moist but the fibres a little tough. I wonder if its possible to low and slow a turkey to break up the fibres but retain the moisture.
    I’d be aiming around 250-275 for a longer time as a guess I’ve never done a turkey in ours yet

Master
    Did you brine it? Do it for a day, then low & slow to temp and finish off higher to crisp the skin.

For me, and I know it’s a personal preference for many, but I’ve always found a really good turkey shouldn’t need brining. I’d do 375 but for probably twice as long, 2 hours for a 5kg turkey. Then check internal temperature. I put more effort into the gravy than the bird, starting it the day before by roasting chicken carcasses and extra turkey giblets with veg, some wine etc.. and 4 litres of stock then reducing. Makes the least interesting of meats much more interesting.

There is no such thing as a «*really good turkey*».
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I’m planning on using the rotisserie for mine. Any suggestions - it’s a 5kg turkey. Do those that have tried a turkey in their egg use indirect heat or rotisserie?

Apprentice
    I've had a large BGE for 10 years or so. It was worth the money but if I ever buy something else similar I'll buy an oval shaped Primo. Its difficult to fit ribs on the round grate of the Egg. Don't get me wrong, I love my Egg and will be using it in about an hour. But the rib thing is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is no such thing as a «*really good turkey*».
    Fair. It was a relative comment: Best available turkey-that-is-still-pants.

I don’t understand how it became a traditional dish here.
    In all honesty, I have had decent turkey in the states for Thanksgiving, especially when it was a young wild hen.
    But a goose is a far superior dish.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Well with the announcement yesterday and staying at home, it will be a chance to do my first Turkey on the rotisserie.

Does anyone every Brine their Turkey? I never have but wondered if any thought it made a difference.

I've never done a turkey in a wet brine, but I have started dry brining my chickens. Which basically involves sprinkling it with kosher salt and sticking it in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours. The result is the bird turns out really juicy and tender.

Google the "Judy bird turkey" for info.

I'm using this salt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011BPM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 20th December 2020 at 09:12.

Master
    Try Jackie Weight’s brine recipe.

She is a bbq legend and the only Brit to win the JD invitational. She set up a couple of restaurants around our area, Blues & bluegrass.

She has so much knowledge & skill. Spent many a good time chatting cooing with her. Also does bbq smoking cooking classes.

If you can’t find it, happy to share the post she did on FB but not sure if I’m allowed to on a public forum.

thanks chaps, I dry bryne with Kosher salt my briskets so had not thought to do with Turkey as well. I will look into Jackie recipe, thanks for the heads up

Blog Entries
    Have bought a nice leg of lamb for Xmas day, question......i'm going to cook it low and slow, but is it best to cook direct or indirect heat?

Master
    Have bought a nice leg of lamb for Xmas day, question......i'm going to cook it low and slow, but is it best to cook direct or indirect heat?
    I always tend to go for indirect on the egg, rarely ‘grill’ with it. I’d go low & slow with it, or if going for a grill then maybe butterfly it out.

Want to try some fire bricks in it to reduce the space & charcoal in the XL and cook more with it as a grill. Mainly as want a mini max for doing grill work.

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Bought a 4 rib of beef for Christmas, however without the usual family numbers thought best to take a sneaky rib for quality control purposes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chinnock; 23rd December 2020 at 20:42.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Bought a 4 rib of beef for Christmas, however without the usual family numbers thought best to take a sneaky rib for quality control purposes.

Like your style. Single ribs work very well on the BBQ.

Rib looks Amazing! Pichana on Boxing Day for me.

Anyone doing a rotisserie Turkey? I’m going to give it a go, but not decided on quite how to do it yet, temp, time etc.

Craftsman
    Same here, 2.5kg leg for Christmas dinner.
    Oiled & seasoned Christmas Eve morning, leaving it at room temperature overnight.
    Will be cooked low n slow, 150 C indirect for 4.5 hours, rested 30mins.
    Firing up the egg 7am to get temperature right for 8am cook.
    Gravy made with lamb juices & Rioja. Can’t wait

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Oiled & seasoned Christmas Eve morning, leaving it at room temperature overnight.

I love lamb always have but cooking it in a kamado took it to a whole new level for me just wow, one to try at some point is lamb shoulder bone in which can usually be had pretty cheap iirc it was around Ł32 for a 5kg one. 275f for around 9 hours then shredded on mini pitas or wraps was a huge hit with everyone.

Blog Entries

Sounds amazing, almost the same here (2.8kg) and had in mind a fancy marinate and basting but not sure whether to strip it back to basics with a simple season and cook like you and let that kamado smokiness come through. Decisions decisions!

Edit: are you sticking a water pan in the egg to keep the meat moist?
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 24th December 2020 at 19:05.

Craftsman
    Edit: are you sticking a water pan in the egg to keep the meat moist?[/QUOTE]

No, never have done yet, I`ve done the Lamb this way a couple of times and always had a really tender "fall off the bone" result.
    The key for me is "low n slow", then a half hour resting, warm plate & loosely covered with foil.

Hope yours works out well.

With you all talking of lamb, I bought a leg for boxing day.

Going with tradition (in our house) with turkey, but first time I have ever done it on the KJ so looking forward to the results.

Blog Entries
    Edit: are you sticking a water pan in the egg to keep the meat moist?

No, never have done yet, I`ve done the Lamb this way a couple of times and always had a really tender "fall off the bone" result.
    The key for me is "low n slow", then a half hour resting, warm plate & loosely covered with foil.

Hope yours works out well. [/QUOTE]
    Likewise, hope you have a fantastic day.

Craftsman
    Turned out beautiful, tender & moist with a lovely bit of crackling on top. A bit leftover for a Moroccan stew tomorrow.

Master
    Anyone use the CPL restaurant grade charcoal? Thoughts?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Have properly been battering the egg over past couple of weeks.

Done some mackerel for the first time which turned out well.

Then a low and slow brisket, with the leftovers used in a chilli on the egg a couple of days later.

Just got a Letzq rotisserie which is great. Did a chicken on it the other day but hopefully going to try a picanha at the weekend

Malc

Master
    Wow your grill is clean!

Biggest issue with an XL is it doesn’t fit in a dishwasher, so it’s cleaned by being hot & scraped.

The rotisserie is next on my wish list, but that might be after the minimax as want a smaller one for grilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wow your grill is clean!

Biggest issue with an XL is it doesn’t fit in a dishwasher, so it’s cleaned by being hot & scraped.

The rotisserie is next on my wish list, but that might be after the minimax as want a smaller one for grilling.

Use the BGE scrubber/cleaner thingy. Give it a few scrapes on the grill and it’s back to quite like new.

The letzq is well recommended, fits perfectly in my XL and just works really well.

Craftsman
    Can I ask where you get the round drip tray please?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Use the BGE scrubber/cleaner thingy. Give it a few scrapes on the grill and it’s back to quite like new.

The letzq is well recommended, fits perfectly in my XL and just works really well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    Can I ask where you get the round drip tray please?
    I use a deep pan pizza tray from a pizza equipment wholesaler. Couple of rounds of tin foil underneath to raise it from the setter & good to go.

I do line mine with foil each time though as easier than cleaning.

Master
    Gone old school today, smoking the SV brisket but decided not to use temp control / FI

Not sure what I’m trying to prove to whom, but I’m very cold and I’ve not done this for 7yrs!

Hey all, I thought I was ok with just my Weber kettle BBQ, but, you know, TZ=buying new things!

I’ve read through the thread and it has confirmed that a Kamado is the way to go!!!

I wondered if anyone has used or has an idea of the difference in end product between the masterbuilt Kamado and the BGE or Kamado Joe?

Master
    Afraid I don’t have a view from use. I’ve got a BGE and have had a short play with the Joe & they seem on par to be honest.

You have made a great decision, use ours mainly as a low n slow cooker these days as the XL seems large for grilling with just 2 of us, but makes the purchase of a minimax easier!

It’s great for roasting meat and adding an extra level of flavour, replicating a Cau roast Sunday dinner (when they existed!).

So very easy to control and uses little fuel. I started smoking on a Weber kettle, and it’s a labour of love controlling vents and fuel. The egg type is so much easier, can happily go out for a few hours leaving it going.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Hey all, I thought I was ok with just my Weber kettle BBQ, but, you know, TZ=buying new things!

I’ve read through the thread and it has confirmed that a Kamado is the way to go!!!

I wondered if anyone has used or has an idea of the difference in end product between the masterbuilt Kamado and the BGE or Kamado Joe?
    If I remember correctly, the only difference between the Masterbuilt and the Joe classic was the Masterbuilt didn't come with the command and conquer grill grate system. Also its 300 quid cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    If I remember correctly, the only difference between the Masterbuilt and the Joe classic was the Masterbuilt didn't come with the command and conquer grill grate system. Also its 300 quid cheaper

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Afraid I don’t have a view from use. I’ve got a BGE and have had a short play with the Joe & they seem on par to be honest.

You have made a great decision, use ours mainly as a low n slow cooker these days as the XL seems large for grilling with just 2 of us, but makes the purchase of a minimax easier!

It’s great for roasting meat and adding an extra level of flavour, replicating a Cau roast Sunday dinner (when they existed!).

So very easy to control and uses little fuel. I started smoking on a Weber kettle, and it’s a labour of love controlling vents and fuel. The egg type is so much easier, can happily go out for a few hours leaving it going.

Thanks. The wife is a veggie/vegan (when she doesn't miss cheese) 99/100 often I'm only cooking for myself. Maybe I'll look up a minimax.

Jotisserie on offer at Amazon for Ł205 if anyone is looking!

Craftsman
    Jotisserie on offer at Amazon for Ł205 if anyone is looking!

Only just spotted this. Thanks! Got one at the price, but missed the prime stock, so delivery in 1-2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Only just spotted this. Thanks! Got one at the price, but missed the prime stock, so delivery in 1-2 months.
    Glad you got one!

It's a great accessory.

Master
    Hate the way all XL accessories are so much more expensive!

Blog Entries
    Glad you got one!

It's a great accessory.

Purchase here too, thank you.

Nice one!