closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Blog Entries
    When I ordered the Joe-tisserie at the weekend there was a 1-2 month expected due date, however just got a text saying it's going to be delivered today. Happy days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    When I ordered the Joe-tisserie at the weekend there was a 1-2 month expected due date, however just got a text saying it's going to be delivered today. Happy days.
    Mine arrived today too. Will do Tandoori Chicken at the weekend I reckon

Craftsman
    I ordered a Kamado Joe yesterday, can’t wait for it to arrive after reading through this thread!

Craftsman
    Same here was expecting a month at least and it's turning up 4 days later. Need to plan what to cook now.

Where did you get your joetisseries from?

I had expected multiple pictures of the rotisserie going after the amazing deal. I got mine last year and its the nuts, but i hear of people doing so much more than chicken on them and need to experiment this year.

Had my delivery today from Sherwood Foods, I have enough pork and beef ribs to last the year now:) What other online sites do you guys use for your meats?

I've ordered from

www.johndavidsons.com

a few times. Everything I've had from them has been great. He's got some really exotic brisket!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I had expected multiple pictures of the rotisserie going after the amazing deal. I got mine last year and its the nuts, but i hear of people doing so much more than chicken on them and need to experiment this year.

Had my delivery today from Sherwood Foods, I have enough pork and beef ribs to last the year now:) What other online sites do you guys use for your meats?
    Not even out of the box yet due to work. I'll get it set up at the weekend. It reminds me I should be posting up pics too. I've been BBQing all year round, but now have a bit more light to see with lol.

I have a 4kg Jacobs ladder rack of short ribs ready to go on Saturday, so tandoori or rotisserie chicken on Sunday depending on what I can get.

Craftsman
    John Davidson as above is good for proper grain fed brisket (to get the moist and juicy cook). Huge choice to choose from for all types of meat.

Thomas Joseph has great quality well sourced meat and their Wagyu burgers are sublime. Best burger I've ever had.

Meat Matters Ltd do ex dairy beef and great quality too. I got their mixed box and pot roasted the chuck roast. Came out like pulled beef. Excellent.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/
    https://thomasjosephbutchery.co.uk/
    https://meatmattersltd.co.uk/

Thanks for those, they are new ones to me and worth exploring.

Just got some beef cheeks, going to give these a try over the weekend in Tacos, it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Craftsman
    PSA: Looks like Aldi are selling their Kamado from tomorrow
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/garden-shop/kamado-bbq

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    PSA: Looks like Aldi are selling their Kamado from tomorrow
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/garden-shop/kamado-bbq
    Thanks for the heads up. However, I think the Aldi site has gone manic with people looking for garden furniture. Unfortunately the Kamado were sold out. I was in a queue of 20k people!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. However, I think the Aldi site has gone manic with people looking for garden furniture. Unfortunately the Kamado were sold out. I was in a queue of 20k people!
    Wow!!!

I’ll be selling my Aldi kamado next week, I was just going to stick it on the budget kamado Facebook group, but I’ll stick up it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I’ll be selling my Aldi kamado next week, I was just going to stick it on the budget kamado Facebook group, but I’ll stick up it here first.
    How many PMs have you received already?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    How many PMs have you received already?
    None yet!

Craftsman
    The Aldi Kamado is a pretty good deal, but size wise is not going to be big enough for larger cooks as it has a 16" grill.

I got a seconds Wild Goose for Ł400. 18" grill size which is bigger and takes all the KJ accessories. Bargain!

I did this after initially buying a 12" grill size Kamado (same size as KJ Junior) to try Kamado out, but it is too small IMHO for proper low and slow due to distance from heat and the size of joint limitation this imposes.

I know find the 18" can be limited especially if I want to grill 20 lamb chops, and am thinking of getting a KJ Big Joe sized Kamado too. Missus may kill me if I do though...

Craftsman
    Sorry, previous post was not to poop on this. Nice bit of kit if it meets your needs / family size.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Sorry, previous post was not to poop on this. Nice bit of kit if it meets your needs / family size.
    If it were perfect I wouldn’t be selling it :) I’m replacing it with something with a bit more grill real estate.

Master
    None yet!
    Well you do now! Just let me know but I'd definitely be interested int taking it off your hands. Might work out well in the end, I couldn't believe how busy the Aldo site was earlier

Craftsman
    I did manage to order one, lucky for me I refreshed the page at 8:00 as it came available to order, looking forward to figuring out how and what to cook when it arrives in a week or so.

Craftsman
    1.4 kg beef joint, marinated in black treacle for 24hrs, temp steady at 115.
    Looking for a 4hr cook.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyd30 View Post
    I did manage to order one, lucky for me I refreshed the page at 8:00 as it came available to order, looking forward to figuring out how and what to cook when it arrives in a week or so.
    I woke up and checked at 7.00 but then I must have dropped back off. I'm a bit gutted as it's an excellent price, but what can you do.

I think, if I have to I'll buy a KJ. My only issue is at that price I could start looking at a Traeger. I've pmed Junglebert so I might get lucky.

Congrats anyway!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    1.4 kg beef joint, marinated in black treacle for 24hrs, temp steady at 115.
    Looking for a 4hr cook.
    Now resting, spuds n veg on the go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Now resting, spuds n veg on the go.

Carved & served with a black treacle & port gravy.
    Sweet, moist & juicy, I’ll be doing this one again.

That looks great! Cracking smoke ring.

Craftsman
    Gave my Amazon bargain Joetisserie it's first outing yesterday. Simple chicken and delicious.

Craftsman

Cooks this year

As promised, a few of the BBQ cooks this year to date. I love my brisket, but have found short ribs and jacobs ladders tend to work better, cook quicker (bone conductivity) and give better, more consistent results. Brisket can dry out unless your source a grain-fed piece with appropriate marbling, so short ribs have become my go to smoking joint of choice.

Short ribs 2 x ~2kg racks - I used a mix of Angus and Oink rubs - smoked at 250f

Sicilian sausage and octopus - I normally get fresh octopus and boil it before BBQ. This time, I tried with precooked.

More short ribs - but this time a huge 4kg rack - For rubs, I used a mix of Angus and Oink and some Chilli Mafia Cajun Magic too. I used a Meater+ thermometer. Range not great, but I'm experienced enough now to know my airflow controls to not worry when out of range. My ThermoPro probes work better for range. smoked at 250f

First outing of the Joetisserie to make tandoori spiced chicken - 2KG of boneless chicken thighs (I salted the skin and fried up as crackling). I'll be playing with this to try shawarma spicing and others recipes. Awesome results and my mum who is not afraid to critique enjoyed it. I used a Meater thermometer and it worked really well. Could never use ThemoPro on a rotisserie cook. grilled/roasted at 350f

What next? I was so impressed with the Joetisserie, that I've bought another rotisserie to use on my Weber gas grill. I'm a fan of longer slower cooking and it fits that bill of being able to relax a bit more, rather than constant attention and flipping. I now have a rotisserie basket (going to try basket wings in them tonight) and a skewer attachment (for shish) to arrive soon. Curried lamb chops marinating for midweek too.

That looks amazing, I must do more of week cooks.

I agree last year a started to Jacobs ladders and prefer over brisket due to inconsistent cooks and how long they take.

I think I will get some short ribs out the freezer for this weekend

Master
    I always find with short ribs that they go really tough, tried longer, tried shorter & just can’t get it right.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I always find with short ribs that they go really tough, tried longer, tried shorter & just can’t get it right.

Jacobs ladder or smaller ribs? I think the bigger pieces help. 250f smoke and it is fine and even fluctuating temp is forgiving. Falls off the bone. Small single or half bone short ribs come out tasty, but can be drier and less forgiving.

Just had leftovers reheated in oven and some bits were unctious and other bits crispy. Lovely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Jacobs ladder or smaller ribs? I think the bigger pieces help. 250f smoke and it is fine and even fluctuating temp is forgiving. Falls off the bone. Small single or half bone short ribs come out tasty, but can be drier and less forgiving.

Just had leftovers reheated in oven and some bits were unctious and other bits crispy. Lovely.
    Probably 6-8" long, don't like the short short ones.

My first attempt literally fell off the bone as I plated up, but all of them since have felt like there is a tough fibrous skin between the meat sections, ruining the enjoyment.

I seem to end up doing pork burnt end ribs a lot as a 'side' for pulled pork / ribs.

Still yet to conquer brisket, only tried tiny ones & it doesn't work; don't want to / (can't at the moment!) cater for 20 people and leave them all starving with rubbish tough, dry beef!

ETA: That chicken looks amazing, I am struggling with the cost of an XL rotisserie given how little I have use my weber gas one, but really want to try that. Again, only 2 of us most of the time, so a large thigh kebab isn't practical. Purchased a non rotating schwarma spike for the egg, just need to use it.

I am also keen to make my own rubs, hate the cost of the A&O ones, despite the quality of them.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 23rd March 2021 at 21:09.

The chicken looks the dog's danglies. I might have to try it.

I much prefer my beef ribs with the fat trimmed off the top. That fat isn't the good stuff and stops the meat smoking properly.

There are some great videos on youtube that will explain why better than me including a great Aaron Franklin on on brisket - don't be afraid to trim hard!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    The chicken looks the dog's danglies. I might have to try it.

I much prefer my beef ribs with the fat trimmed off the top. That fat isn't the good stuff and stops the meat smoking properly.

There are some great videos on youtube that will explain why better than me including a great Aaron Franklin on on brisket - don't be afraid to trim hard!
    I've gone Keto for the last 6 weeks so fat is good for me and have eaten a fair bit of it. Previously I'd trim more. Agree it can reduce smoke, but enough flavour is there. Ive trimmed a full packer brisket before, and that was a lot of fat removed!

Craftsman
    Piri piri chicken kebabs tonight.
    Marinated for 4 hrs, cooked at 400f for 20 minutes.
    Bloody gorgeous

Master
    Knew I would crack...just purchased a minimax to go alongside the XL, so can use it more often with just the 2 of us.

Can’t decide whether to get the rotisserie for the minimax or the XL now though. Perhaps wait until it’s arrived & then decide.

Craftsman
    Knew I would crack...just purchased a minimax to go alongside the XL, so can use it more often with just the 2 of us.

Can’t decide whether to get the rotisserie for the minimax or the XL now though. Perhaps wait until it’s arrived & then decide.

Lol, I have in the last 3 weeks bought:

Joetisserie
    2 x skewer rotisserie racks
    Rotisserie flat basket
    Rotisserie tumble basket
    Rotisserie for gas Weber

Need more bbq kit storage space!

Got exactly the same set up, for pretty much the same reasons.

I’d go for the letzq rotisserie for the xl if I were you, that’s what I did and no regrets.

Malc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Got exactly the same set up, for pretty much the same reasons.

I’d go for the letzq rotisserie for the xl if I were you, that’s what I did and no regrets.

Malc
    Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I’m still bouncing between the 2 options for the letzq, benefit I can see if I can offset the charcoal to either side for indirect, but little choice with the MM to do that.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I’m still bouncing between the 2 options for the letzq, benefit I can see if I can offset the charcoal to either side for indirect, but little choice with the MM to do that.

The other advantage of the letzq on the XL is you can fit a basket on it and it does chicken wings in that beautifully. Will be doing that tonight, amongst some other bits and bobs

Master
    I'm not having much success. I missed the ALDI ones twice and then ordered a Wild Goose only yo be told they're actually out of stock. I now have the opportunity to purchase the 18inch Wild Goose Kamado with the stand, I originally wanted the freestanding one as I intend to build a table out of railway sleepers.

Can I ask if anyone has had experience with the WG. They seem to take most KJ accessories, I assume they're a KJ rebranded?

I'm not having much success. I missed the ALDI ones twice and then ordered a Wild Goose only yo be told they're actually out of stock. I now have the opportunity to purchase the 18inch Wild Goose Kamado with the stand, I originally wanted the freestanding one as I intend to build a table out of railway sleepers.

Can I ask if anyone has had experience with the WG. They seem to take most KJ accessories, I assume they're a KJ rebranded?
    I’m not convinced there are KJ rebranded, Masterbuilt definitely are though, and are a decent price.

Have you considered the Masterbuilt? Which is a KJ in black. The warranty on THE MB ceramics is 5 years compared to 1 year on the Wild goose

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    The other advantage of the letzq on the XL is you can fit a basket on it and it does chicken wings in that beautifully. Will be doing that tonight, amongst some other bits and bobs

Thank you Malc, remembered reading that previously when considering it for the XL - there are a couple of baskets I could add.

Cracking the gas Weber tonight for a couple of cheeky burgers, XL is daft for that! Having seen the premium spirit Weber gives me what I want without getting a genesis, so very happy.

That’s a next year bbq, perhaps. Part of me likes the idea of an old classic spirit, needs paint this year, but also toy with a new shiny one. This one served us well, given it was half price at end of season 10+yrs ago

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Have you considered the Masterbuilt? Which is a KJ in black. The warranty on THE MB ceramics is 5 years compared to 1 year on the Wild goose

@junglebert

I have, although a lot of these appear out of stock. If the WG is a rebrand it would be a better offer as it comes with more accessories than MB.

Blog Entries
    The daisy wheel of my kamado is getting pretty caked up with grease, what are you all using to clean yours?

Blog Entries

I have one, they are very similar to KJ but they are not rebadged. The divide and conquer system is slightly different sizing. I have the Joetisserie and DoJoe which fit and work perfectly on the WG, plus griddle plate. Actually, edited to add that I had to buy KJ deflector plates for the DoJoe as the WG ones are slightly too small (diameter) which means too much air gets into the kamado and it's difficult to keep under control. No complaints from me, and the saving made it worth the gamble.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 30th March 2021 at 19:49.

Master
    I have one, they are very similar to KJ but they are not rebadged. The divide and conquer system is slightly different sizing. I have the Joetisserie and DoJoe which fit and work perfectly on the WG, plus griddle plate. Actually, edited to add that I had to buy KJ deflector plates for the DoJoe as the WG ones are slightly too small (diameter) which means too much air gets into the kamado and it's difficult to keep under control. No complaints from me, and the saving made it worth the gamble.
    Thanks, that’s very interesting. I’ve looked at pictures and I think they must share parts, but I couldn’t tell if the actual Kamado was different. I’ve just got to decide if I go for this or try to locate a MB.

I keep looking at all the pictures on this thread and I want to get started

Craftsman

Wild Goose is not a rebrand, but I think it is output from the same factory for the main bottom and top parts of the BBQ.

Masterbuilt is a rebrand (as they own KJ).

Wild Goose is cheaper and comes with more accessories for the price.

Masterbuilt has the split section firebox, longer guarantee and HDPE shelves (rather than bamboo for the WG)

The KJ Classic accessories will work with both.

Either will be a great choice. Depends if you want to pay the extra for the MB. Colour may be a factor for you too.

Master
    It looks as if the ceramic fire boxes are the weak parts. If I bought the WG and for whatever reason I couldn’t source a new one, would I in theory be able to use a KJ or generic one? Or do the need to fit perfectly?