closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You tried the ribs yet?
    I have tried ribs and chicken thighs, with the same rub.

I have another rack of spareribs for tomorrow and a leg of lamb for Monday.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I have tried ribs and chicken thighs, with the same rub.

I have another rack of spareribs for tomorrow and a leg of lamb for Monday.
    Excellent stuff! I have not done spares for ages, need to try them again soon.

Not much exciting here this weekend, some burgers on the minimax tomorrow, SV steaks Sunday and then crack out the Ooni Monday for its first cook of the year.

The protagonists…

You tried the ribs yet?

- - - Updated - - -

What is the 4 way holding device / set up for that pot?
    It comes with the kamado joe, and is called the ‘accessory rack’ I didn’t have a clue what it was for until I bought that netherton foundry iron pot and found it fitted perfectly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    It comes with the kamado joe, and is called the ‘accessory rack’ I didn’t have a clue what it was for until I bought that netherton foundry iron pot and found it fitted perfectly.
    Ah ok cheers, so similar to the eggspander for my egg.

Down side of the XL is all the accessories are so expensive!

This evening’s rack

The rub was the commercial one (see a few posts up) but the glaze was homemade on the spur of the moment and with what I had at hand:
    2 cloves of garlic and half a red onion chopped finely, in a pan with butter until translucent, then a dash of apple vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pressed apple juice, a small lump of brown sugar, a teaspoon of green chilli puree, a squirt of ketchup, sweet teriyaki sauce and some Jack Daniel.

I had thumbs up from everyone, and coming from my daughter it must have been good because at her age praises are hard to get.

This evening’s rack

The rub was the commercial one (see a few posts up) but the glaze was homemade on the spur of the moment and with what I had at hand:
    2 cloves of garlic and half a red onion chopped finely, in a pan with butter until translucent, then a dash of apple vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pressed apple juice, a small lump of brown sugar, a teaspoon of green chilli puree, a squirt of ketchup, sweet teriyaki sauce and some Jack Daniel.

I had thumbs up from everyone, and coming from my daughter it must have been good because at her age praises are hard to get.
    That looks very good, of all the things I’ve cooked, ribs are the thing I haven’t mastered.

- - - Updated - - -

Very clean looking Kamado, that won’t last!

That looks very good, of all the things I’ve cooked, ribs are the thing I haven’t mastered.

- - - Updated - - -

Very clean looking Kamado, that won’t last!
    Matt (Mj2k) very kindly pointed me to amazingribs.com. It is inspiring to say the least. And you are correct about the state of it, it is quite new still

Now tell me about the kleftiko, I have the leg of lamb for Monday.

Master
    Matt (Mj2k) very kindly pointed me to amazingribs.com. It is inspiring to say the least. And you are correct about the state of it, it is quite new still

We’re you cooking indirect, as the photo above doesn’t seem to show a heat deflector in place? Unless removed for the glaze?

Look great though! I’ve seen people roll the rack inside itself vs cutting - never tried myself though as assume it cooks and stays rolled up.

I always end up either naked rib, ie dry, or covering in a copy cat sweet baby ray recipe as my wife and friends all love their ribs sauced.

On the amazingribs website, there is all the science behind bbq etc. I always have his Lexington Sauce and his Kansas City Sauce in the fridge, the KS Sauce is so good vs shop purchased.

All this talk of bbq and there is me grilling burgers yesterday. Should have planned a better bbq cook given the weather. Pulled a beef short rib from the freezer yesterday to smoke tmrw despite cooking pizzas as just needed a smoke fix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was cooked indirect for 5:30 hours, this is indeed just for the glaze. With just the rub it looked a bit dull for the photo.

The kleftiko was perfect, it was on for about 7 hours, I’ve stopped obsessing about temps on long cooks, but it was 110-120c ish for most of that, the iron pot did its job and there was no loss of moisture, all that went in the pot was a bone in lamb leg cut in two, potatoes and tomatoes. The lamb had been marinated overnight in lemon, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Very simple and very good.

I also did a Kellybab with 8 large chicken thighs, cooked on a rotisserie on the Thuros T1 it was really good, took longer than I expected, as it always does, I’ll never learn, but people didn’t mind waiting, sat in the garden with a beer.

presentation ministries

Master
    That T1 looks great as does the food.

I thought I had issues with too many bbqs!

Genesis II around by the dining area.

I got rid of my Weber kettle when I got the XL but should perhaps have kept it. Brother in law has had it 6 years and still not cooked on it, so am sure it will come home again soon!

Master
    It was cooked indirect for 5:30 hours, this is indeed just for the glaze. With just the rub it looked a bit dull for the photo.
    I never bother removing the hot ceramic & just glaze with the heat. Certainly on the XL the plate setter is too large and heavy to mess about with when hot & not sure where to safely put it!

That T1 looks great as does the food.

I thought I had issues with too many bbqs!

Genesis II around by the dining area.

I got rid of my Weber kettle when I got the XL but should perhaps have kept it. Brother in law has had it 6 years and still not cooked on it, so am sure it will come home again soon!
    I’ve kept my Weber kettle, it doesn’t get used much, but when it all gets busy it’s good to know there’s an extra cooking surface if I need one!

For the sake of completeness I should add that the Ooni pro, running on gas, and an induction hob are just out of shot, one thing I’ve added this year is a sink with running (cold!) water, so that should help keep things a bit neater.
    Last edited by junglebert; 17th April 2022 at 12:20.

Yes, I am keeping my Weber!

I have a meater + for thermometer but I might want a multi-probe one, especially one that can go in when the egg is empty rather than relying on the built in one.

Master
    I’ve kept my Weber kettle, it doesn’t get used much, but when it all gets busy it’s good to know there’s an extra cooking surface if I need one!

For the sake of completeness I should add that the Ooni pro, running on gas, and an induction hob are just out of shot, one thing I’ve added this year is a sink with running (cold!) water, so that should help keep things a bit neater.
    Would love an induction hob out by my egg. Had hot smoked links on the go at lunch, onions frying inside in a pan and a lot of running around it felt like.

Koda 16 gets its first light of the year tomorrow so awaiting disaster on the launches.

Would love an out door sink too, but just not a practical solution in this house.

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

I also did a Kellybab with 8 large chicken thighs, cooked on a rotisserie on the Thuros T1 it was really good, took longer than I expected, as it always does, I’ll never learn, but people didn’t mind waiting, sat in the garden with a beer.

Monkey sees, monkey does

Last edited by Saint-Just; 22nd April 2022 at 14:40.

Any deals around on Eggs at the moment?

Are these good as an entry point? 41cm cooking surface so 5cm or so less that the Large egg-

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-ka...10081596330401
    Last edited by dougair; 22nd April 2022 at 15:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Saw this the other day

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/masterbui...arcoal-bbq.asp

I've never used the retailer but I've had one of these for nearly 2 years and love it. Masterbuilt are the parent company of Kamado Joe and this is a Classic Joe but in black and at a much cheaper price point but same quality and warranty.

Are these good as an entry point? 41cm cooking surface so 5cm or so less that the Large egg-

I am very happy with mine, which I got 3 or 4 weeks ago (so not much experience with them)

Yep, I have that too - been an excellent piece of kit so far - seems solid & well-built - I've been very happy with it & the results.

Master
    Aldi here too, love it.

Aldi here for me as well. Can't fault it so far.

Came last week, unwrapped, constructed and given a cure cycle on Friday and then straight into a Pork Joint on Saturday PM.

Followed it up by a Tomahawk Steak, that the wife also found in Aldi, on Monday. Bit nervous going all in on a relatively expensive cut of meat on only my second cook, but YouTube gave up enough advice to make it all work out.

Aldi club...1st cook BBQLife Chicken Wings

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    Monkey sees, monkey does

Haha good effort.

I bought a vertical spear and base for doing this a couple of years ago. It remains unused, so admire the speed and which you just got on and did it.

When I worked near Vauxhall there was an amazing Schwarma place, am I wanted to recreate it at home. Never have done, and my wife would never go and eat in a small ‘kebab’ shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkey sees, monkey does

That looks good!

Thank you. It was indeed lovely and with the meater plus set at 72°C cooking was easy.
    Tomorrow is more classic, a roasted guinea fowl. I can stand it upright or in a basket above a dish. Not sure yet which, but the dish may win as we can then roast some carrots in the dish, with the fowl dripping from above.

Any advice is genuinely welcome.

Thank you. It was indeed lovely and with the meater plus set at 72°C cooking was easy.
    Tomorrow is more classic, a roasted guinea fowl. I can stand it upright or in a basket above a dish. Not sure yet which, but the dish may win as we can then roast some carrots in the dish, with the fowl dripping from above.

Any advice is genuinely welcome.
    Cooking potatoes and carrots in the drippings is a sure fire way to get tasty veg, really recommend that.

Went well

However the meater + would be best placed alongside the inner thigh bone.

Master
    After a Couple of hours working in the garden decided to get the Aldi Kamado out (for one)
    Just had a chicken breast with some oil and herbs but wow it tasted so good

Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am very happy with mine, which I got 3 or 4 weeks ago (so not much experience with them)
    Is it big enough for a family meal though say 5 or 6 people?

I certainly hope so: I am cooking salmon for 8 on Sunday

Master
    Blog Entries
    I certainly hope so: I am cooking salmon for 8 on Sunday
    Ha ha - Sounds nice.

I think I will order one.

Order some charcoal too then. Big lumps. It is really different to normal barbies because you control the intake of air as well as the exhaust. It’s amazing how you can keep it at whatever temperature you choose for as long as you need.
    Another advice: apple wood chips for smoking (other flavours are available). And a temperature probe that gives you oven temperature as well as meat. Do not rely on the one in the dome, at least no before you’ve compared its readings with a precise one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks will look at probes

I find the Kamado Joe big block lump wood to be fantastic, uses Argentinian axe breaker hardwood so you get a nice long hot burn.

Probes wise the meater ones are decent if you want the remote option and gives you some good options for tracking a cook.

Also, if it fits your kamado - the joetisserie attachment is fantastic! Below is the Christmas turkey on my Monolith Le Chef with the big joe joetisserie (modified to fit my monolith)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    I find the Kamado Joe big block lump wood to be fantastic, uses Argentinian axe breaker hardwood so you get a nice long hot burn.

Probes wise the meater ones are decent if you want the remote option and gives you some good options for tracking a cook.

Surely 3 hours isn’t long enough for pulled pork though?

Master
    Also, if it fits your kamado - the joetisserie attachment is fantastic! Below is the Christmas turkey on my Monolith Le Chef with the big joe joetisserie (modified to fit my monolith)

probably don't know what I'm talking about here but i always thought you shouldn't cook on charcoal that hadn't fully 'greyed' over - cant recall where I read/heard this but may have been something to do with how to use a chimney starter.

Am i making this up or is there some truth to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Surely 3 hours isn’t long enough for pulled pork though?
    It is if you have no choice Last minute decision to cook pulled pork 3 hours before dinner.. would normally aim for 8. Actually turned out better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    probably don't know what I'm talking about here but i always thought you shouldn't cook on charcoal that hadn't fully 'greyed' over - cant recall where I read/heard this but may have been something to do with how to use a chimney starter.

Ah I don’t use a chimney starter, I use a looftlighter. I tend to light a section depending on what I’m cooking, then if I’ve got a full basket of coal (that’s not all lit) the flame spreads as appropriate to last for as long as I need to cook for. In the case of a turkey it’s less important but a brisket or similar I want to be able to cook for up to 18 hours without switching coals.

Master
    It is if you have no choice Last minute decision to cook pulled pork 3 hours before dinner.. would normally aim for 8. Actually turned out better than I expected.
    Wow you were roasting that looking at the temps!

Master

On a traditional bbq it is more about the heat having died down a little as it is really hot when bright red. As per the reply, for long cooks you light an area & the fire spreads slowly as required.

With hot cooks on the egg I tend to light a few places or sometimes leave a section without charcoal as a cool / indirect area.

Master

Am looking at getting the rotisserie for my XL egg, and seeing that has not helped one bit.

I had expected to see indirect cooking with it though with coals either side? Not read a recipe or set up guide but just sort of made sense in my head.

Journeyman

This mainly applies to cooking using briquettes as you want the chemicals to fully burn off to avoid tainting the meat, with good quality lump wood charcoal it’s not an issue.

Wow you were roasting that looking at the temps!
    It was a large cut of meat too, not ideal by a long stretch but actually worked out pretty tasty given the circumstances. I find the main thing for pulled pork is reaching the internal temp to melt the fat, I think had this been a brisket it’d be less successful. Every cook I learn something!

Am looking at getting the rotisserie for my XL egg, and seeing that has not helped one bit.

I had expected to see indirect cooking with it though with coals either side? Not read a recipe or set up guide but just sort of made sense in my head.
    it was pretty tasty! Tbh I wasn’t sure whether to light either side or in the middle, the turkey was around 7kg so took up a lot of the space so perhaps the same outcome in either case?

I’m going to see if I can get one of the drum attachments for chicken wings…

Master

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Reverse seared ribeye
    Last edited by Rodder; 28th April 2022 at 20:00.

Master

Brisket