closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Any views on the Weber summit thingy? Shaw one the other day and thought it looked good.

First cook done on the Wild Goose. I kept is simple with a spatchcock chicken, using an overnight dry brining and cooking technique from the Smoking Dad BBQ YouTube channel. Served with Alabama White Sauce (also on his channel), chips and parmesan asparagus.

The cook was easy; managed to get a stable temperature OK. I had practised once in the week with nothing in the grill.

The skin didn’t crisp up quite as much as I had expected, so I did a few minutes skin side down over a hot grill, which meant the meat was very slightly overdone but only by a tiny bit.

My wife’s comments were “wow, this is amazing” and my youngest son wolfed some down too; plus it tasted pretty great to me too so I’m calling it a success!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Well done, great first effort & mastering a stable temp is brilliant - often too tempting to keep fiddling vs adjust it, leave it and then assess the change.

I’ve struggled to get the crispy skin balance in the egg vs the chicken temperature. I now rotisserie a chicken direct if I want the skin, if not it’s spatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Well done, great first effort & mastering a stable temp is brilliant - often too tempting to keep fiddling vs adjust it, leave it and then assess the change.

I’ve struggled to get the crispy skin balance in the egg vs the chicken temperature. I now rotisserie a chicken direct if I want the skin, if not it’s spatched.
    Thanks; I tried to follow what I had seen on youtube for the getting the temperature right, but I was no doubt was helped by the fact it was a short cook!

I won and ebay auction for a JoeRostisserie on Sunday, so that should be arriving later in the week. Think I'll be doing one of those this weekend!

Although, that first cook was a £14 chicken from my butchers, which I like the idea of doing but maybe not every week!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Thanks; I tried to follow what I had seen on youtube for the getting the temperature right, but I was no doubt was helped by the fact it was a short cook!

I won and ebay auction for a JoeRostisserie on Sunday, so that should be arriving later in the week. Think I'll be doing one of those this weekend!

Although, that first cook was a £14 chicken from my butchers, which I like the idea of doing but maybe not every week!
    Have a look at Kellybab recipe, it is already requested from my family when they come back!

I got lazy on long cooks and use forced air to control temps.

Get a pulled pork done next, so forgiving - and so good!

Have a look at Kellybab recipe, it is already requested from my family when they come back!

I got lazy on long cooks and use forced air to control temps.

Get a pulled pork done next, so forgiving - and so good!
    Ooh yes, that Kellybab looks good

Google took me to the meat smoke fire website and that also has flatbread recipes. That may well be on the menu this week!

Pulled pork will probably be my first long and slow cook

Master
    Ooh yes, that Kellybab looks good

Google took me to the meat smoke fire website and that also has flatbread recipes. That may well be on the menu this week!

Pulled pork will probably be my first long and slow cook

That website has a lot of good recipes.

Another good one is www.amazing ribs.com for techniques, recipes and the science.

Pulled pork is a great one, very forgiving, but you will panic at the stall. I still do when I’ve cooking to a deadline.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you have a rotisserie, the smoking elk schwarma recipe on YouTube is really good

Another great shawarma recipe here

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicke...iddle-eastern/

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Yep, those both look good too!

I have done one before on the rotisserie on my gas BBQ so know they can be great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Another great shawarma recipe here

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicke...iddle-eastern/

Am yet to have a bad recipe from Naggi, brilliant cook.

Am yet to have a bad recipe from Naggi, brilliant cook.
    Agreed

Master
    Agreed

Need a naggi thread on best recipes!

Need a naggi thread on best recipes!
    I haven't come across her before, but she has a book coming out soon which sounds like a worthy investment. Will take a look at some of her other stuff online too.

We had family over last night, so tried the Kellybab. 4KG of chicken thighs from Aldi which I deboned / skinned leaving around 2.8kg of meat - all hungrily devoured with positive feedback! We're left with a small portion, so it went down well. Only changes I made was to add some turmeric and paprika for a bit of colour.

Great value for money as the chicken was just over £10 (and I have the bones / trimmings for gravy), served with Turkish rice and my wife made flatbreads. I did some pickled red onions and an onion & tomato salad plus we had some chilli sauces, some of the Alabama white sauce & Kimchi. Probably £25 all in for 7 adults and 3 children.

It didnt quite go to plan though as I used a Meater probe for the first time and assume I positioned it badly, becuase although that was reading almost 75C and I was going to ramp up the temperature to crisp it up, when I checked with a normal probe the rest of the kebab was 55C. So I ended up carving it up and dry frying it to finish it off. Alls well that ends well though, so good experience!

A normal rotisserie chicken has been requested for today!

A couple of pictures, but didn’t get anything after cooking as it was all a bit stressful with undercooked chicken and burning flatbreads!

Master
    We had family over last night, so tried the Kellybab. 4KG of chicken thighs from Aldi which I deboned / skinned leaving around 2.8kg of meat - all hungrily devoured with positive feedback! We're left with a small portion, so it went down well. Only changes I made was to add some turmeric and paprika for a bit of colour.

Great value for money as the chicken was just over £10 (and I have the bones / trimmings for gravy), served with Turkish rice and my wife made flatbreads. I did some pickled red onions and an onion & tomato salad plus we had some chilli sauces, some of the Alabama white sauce & Kimchi. Probably £25 all in for 7 adults and 3 children.

It didnt quite go to plan though as I used a Meater probe for the first time and assume I positioned it badly, becuase although that was reading almost 75C and I was going to ramp up the temperature to crisp it up, when I checked with a normal probe the rest of the kebab was 55C. So I ended up carving it up and dry frying it to finish it off. Alls well that ends well though, so good experience!

A normal rotisserie chicken has been requested for today!
    Glad you gave it a try, it really is a cost effective way of feeding many; especially if you are willing to do the deboning yourself.

I sometimes do mine more like a shawarma, carving the outer pieces and then return to the heat to crisp the next layer or continue cooking.

For the Meater placement, if serving all together, I go close to the core; as it is thigh you can cope with a little more doneness in the outer layers & I think is better for it. Looking at your photos, actually, the placement looks spot on, so perhaps unlucky and found a pocket of fat, or it made contact with the metal on the rotisserie itself and got heated. Good as the Meater is, I still rely on my thermapen before concluding it is cooked. Meater is clever, but not faultless particularly on low & slow when it doesn't have a clue!

I have a round circle of stainless which allows me to prep the Kellybab vertically, but then also put it back on & carve at the table vertically into a large circulate tray, which adds to the theatre.

My stainless piece was from the meat smoke fire website, designed for the Letz-Q rotisserie, but if you know your thread size on the end of the skewer it is easy enough to make.

Glad you gave it a try, it really is a cost effective way of feeding many; especially if you are willing to do the deboning yourself.

I sometimes do mine more like a shawarma, carving the outer pieces and then return to the heat to crisp the next layer or continue cooking.

For the Meater placement, if serving all together, I go close to the core; as it is thigh you can cope with a little more doneness in the outer layers & I think is better for it. Looking at your photos, actually, the placement looks spot on, so perhaps unlucky and found a pocket of fat, or it made contact with the metal on the rotisserie itself and got heated. Good as the Meater is, I still rely on my thermapen before concluding it is cooked. Meater is clever, but not faultless particularly on low & slow when it doesn't have a clue!

I have a round circle of stainless which allows me to prep the Kellybab vertically, but then also put it back on & carve at the table vertically into a large circulate tray, which adds to the theatre.

My stainless piece was from the meat smoke fire website, designed for the Letz-Q rotisserie, but if you know your thread size on the end of the skewer it is easy enough to make.
    Thanks for the tips. I have a probe thermometer but it's really slow and also I melted it slightly, so ordered a thermapen One this morning from Ebay.

That vertical holder thing looks cool, not sure I can justify more spending! Or maybe I can ...

Rotisserie chicken got replaced with leftover Kellybab today, can't say I minded eating more of that but may do a mid-week cook if I can time it right with work.

Master
    Thanks for the tips. I have a probe thermometer but it's really slow and also I melted it slightly, so ordered a thermapen One this morning from Ebay.

That vertical holder thing looks cool, not sure I can justify more spending! Or maybe I can ...

Rotisserie chicken got replaced with leftover Kellybab today, can't say I minded eating more of that but may do a mid-week cook if I can time it right with work.
    We love the leftovers from it. As do any guests who stayed over.

Thermapen are brilliant. I’ve been a fan of them for years, have 2; 1 set to C and the other to F. Mine are the older ones where you flip dip switches to change it over.

I started low & slow yonks back, where the only real recipes were all American and was easier for me to switch to F than convert all the time.

All my bbq cooking is done in F, all indoors is done in C. Too long gone to change around now!

Master
    Blog Entries
    This reminds me I need to stock up on charcoal

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    This reminds me I need to stock up on charcoal
    I have been really impressed with Big K El Cubano. Burns clean and hot & prefer it to their standard restaurant grade.

Some pieces are silly big though. Can get away in my XL but need to select more diligently on the minimax.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been really impressed with Big K El Cubano. Burns clean and hot & prefer it to their standard restaurant grade.

Some pieces are silly big though. Can get away in my XL but need to select more diligently on the minimax.
    Ta - Will take a look

Master
    Ta - Will take a look

Friends load out; not mine but a very fair picture of what you get.

Where do you get yours from?

Master
    Where do you get yours from?

I order it from Amazon.

Big K El Cubano Restaurant Grade Charcoal, 15kg Bag Marabu Lumpwood Charcoal https://amzn.eu/d/3KlxNKH

I order it from Amazon.

Big K El Cubano Restaurant Grade Charcoal, 15kg Bag Marabu Lumpwood Charcoal https://amzn.eu/d/3KlxNKH
    Ah cool thanks, not sure why but I assumed charcoal would be one of those things where Amazon would more expensive

Master
    Blog Entries

That reminds me a need to get a charcoal basket for my KJ.

Master
    Ah cool thanks, not sure why but I assumed charcoal would be one of those things where Amazon would more expensive
    I went there as could not find a local stockist of good quality charcoal, only the rubbish supermarkets sell which is low quality and mainly dust!

Standard rotisserie chicken last night; I tried some apple wood in the mix and just a few small chips gave more than enough. My wife claims to dislike smoked foods but thought the chicken was ace; whereas I think I’d dial back the smoke next time.

Another disappointing go with the Meater probe though, always seems to be 5-10 C higher than the probe. The Thermapen One in the other hand was very good. I think the meater probe was almost certainly down to poor placement this time; I must pay more attention to it next time!

And I also learnt the lesson to remember to turn the rotisserie back on after stopping it to check temps

Master
    We have all done the rotisserie mistake before. It will happen again as well, trust me.

When I use my Meater, I still have my old trusty wireless probe for the grill and meat (when it’s not rotisserie). Used it for years and I just know it’s reliable.

The ambient temp is always aligned to the Meater but internal is different but shows the importance of placement.

Still don’t trust the timing of when it will be ready though, don’t feel it’s as clever as they like to claim. Don’t use it enough to build the knowledge though, always seems to be ready sooner on a small roast and later on large ones.

Master

Living the Friday night dream!

I don’t remember ever filling my coal basket that much!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

What did you cook on there?

Master
    9kg of pork shoulders went on at 11pm, currently 172F in the stall.

I always fill the basket up high on long cooks, usually as if people are over the ribs go on after the pork & the egg is being used for about 20yrs. I can’t be bothered trying to remove the plate setter etc to add more fuel.

I always fill the basket up high on long cooks, usually as if people are over the ribs go on after the pork & the egg is being used for about 20yrs. I can’t be bothered trying to remove the plate setter etc to add more fuel.
    20 hours, wow. I need to try a long cook. Does that mean you cook over coals or can you still fit the ceramic plate for indirect heat?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    20 hours, wow. I need to try a long cook. Does that mean you cook over coals or can you still fit the ceramic plate for indirect heat?
    Yes the ceramic plate is still in place, feet up, so could do it the other way around with more space if required.

Pork has hit a second stall at 190F which is fine as I’d ideally like it to come to temp as we leave, so can wrap it up in a cool box and head off.

My Redi Chek trusted wireless thermometer buttons have died, so need to replace it with a new one. 10yrs is a good innings for it, can’t let go of a digital display to just glance at. The MEATER is in the egg too, but I can just glance at the Redi Chek as I walk past it etc.

Very nice; I must have missed the dinner invite

I’m going for another rotisserie chicken tomorrow and hopefully a nice big tomahawk steak next weekend for my wife’s birthday

Master
    Very nice; I must have missed the dinner invite

I’m going for another rotisserie chicken tomorrow and hopefully a nice big tomahawk steak next weekend for my wife’s birthday

One for the freezer, one for a friend and one for tonight. Just wrapped to push the last bit of temp over the line as was getting bored with the second stall.

One for the freezer, one for a friend and one for tonight. Just wrapped to push the last bit of temp over the line as was getting bored with the second stall.
    Looking good; what is the total cooking time?

Master
    Looking good; what is the total cooking time?

To get to 203F it took 14hrs start to finish. Sometimes a few hours shorter, luck of the draw sometimes! If it’s a single lump of meat it’s a few hours less, multiple lots increase the timing.

Couple of weeks off then it’s another 3 shoulders on, followed by 8 racks of ribs to sort the family meal out & provide enough meat to take home for them all.

Nice looking bark. Did you wrap at the stall or let it ride?

Master
    Nice looking bark. Did you wrap at the stall or let it ride?
    That was pre wrap after the second stall at 190F and needed to get it finished. If I have the time I prefer the texture of unwrapped bark.

Made the call to push it through wrapped as was gong to end up being wrapped to transport it 80mins away, and then kept warm in a low oven until ready for eating.

I do find the longer rest period post cooking in an oven helps get any final fat remaining rendered out also.

That was pre wrap after the second stall at 190F and needed to get it finished. If I have the time I prefer the texture of unwrapped bark.

Made the call to push it through wrapped as was gong to end up being wrapped to transport it 80mins away, and then kept warm in a low oven until ready for eating.

I do find the longer rest period post cooking in an oven helps get any final fat remaining rendered out also.
    Good call

Cote de boeuf tonight, with roast savoy cabbage, potato wedges and homemade bearnaise sauce; fantastic stuff!

Very nice. Enjoy!

Master

Saturday night shawarma.

Drippings from the kebab kept extinguishing the charcoal at one end. Never don’t that before.

Possibly wasn’t burning well enough at that end despite the bbq being at temp for an hour before.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Schwarma in a spit is one of my favourite cooks. I roast some sweet peppers on the coals too for making chilli sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Very nice. Enjoy!
    Thanks, we did! Pretty epic, probably the best steak I've cooked and it made a great birthday meal for my wife.

Saturday night shawarma.

Drippings from the kebab kept extinguishing the charcoal at one end. Never don’t that before.

Possibly wasn’t burning well enough at that end despite the bbq being at temp for an hour before.
    Looking good. Did it cook evenly still?

Schwarma in a spit is one of my favourite cooks. I roast some sweet peppers on the coals too for making chilli sauce
    That's a great idea, will try it at some point. Although we were in a local fruit and veg shop yesterday and they were advising a cutsomer that the price of peppers had shot up; one large pepper was £1.90!

That's a great idea, will try it at some point. Although we were in a local fruit and veg shop yesterday and they were advising a cutsomer that the price of peppers had shot up; one large pepper was £1.90!
    They're taking the p#ss, bought 3 average-sized ones in Tesco yesterday for £1.25

Master
    Very pleased to find this thread!!
    After a drunken argument with a colleague about which is better - my old Weber (had it 10 years) or his Big Green Egg - in a bar one particularly heavy night in Manchester, he arrived at my place for lunch the other day with a gift for me in the form of a Big Green Egg.
    I set it up and have used it a few times for steak, tandoori chicken and pizzas. I have to say, what an absolute weapon the thing is!!!
    I am off for a few days over Easter and planning to cook up my first brisket. Anyone have any tips or advice for me??