closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Have you seen the postage?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Have you seen the postage?
    Yeah…. It’s free

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Yeah…. It’s free
    DOH! Brain fart.

Obviously the postage is to Vietnam lol.

Had a BBQ this afternoon and am obviously ‘tired’.

As you were.

Blog Entries
    DOH! Brain fart.

As you were.

Hmmm…. That may have put me off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    Appreciate that Kamado is almost synonymous with ceramic, but I recently picked up the Weber Summit Kamado when it was on sale… and it’s fabulous.

I’ve done two cooks on it thus far, and the ability to dial in a temp and keep it there is incredibly impressive vs what I’ve owned previously… plus it’s a more forgiving material than ceramic, and it’s massive with a grill grate around the size of the Big Joe. It’s not quite the visual centrepiece of a KJ or BGE (still a good looking piece of kit though), but functionally it’s every bit as good based on my experience.

The deflector setup is nice, plus the slow n sear copy I used on my previous Weber kettle required only minor modification to fit the Summit Kamado for an excellent indirect / searing setup.

I’m now working up to my first full packer brisket and eyeing up a Miguel Vergara. Anyone have any brisket recommendations before I dive in?
    Hi Mab,

I would be interested in your experience with the Miguel Vergara, if you go for it. I have been looking at these myself.

Master
    I’ve been following this thread as a keen barbecuer (I have a Weber)

I’ve often been tempted by the Kamodo style barbecues but have been put off by the enormous prices

I’ve come to the conclusion that you need to go big or go home…. 24” cooking surface appears to the minimum…

Anyway…. I saw this on eBay - 24” with a 5 year guarantee…. It looks like the real deal and obviously approaching half the price with the 15% off deal

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284346836...mis&media=COPY

Daft move or worth a punt?
    I ended up with the BGE XL for the same reason, having a 22" kettle and a 18" WSM, it had to manage the job of both.

That said, I did buy a minimax as sometimes there is a lot of grill space not being used - that said easier for direct & indirect without messing about too much.

Minimax is a bit tight if you want to manage that.

For the price I would give it a go for sure!

Master
    DOH! Brain fart.

As you were.

Haha keep up at the back, Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Haha keep up at the back, Jon!
    I'm 'tired', Matthew...

Master
    I'm 'tired', Matthew...
    My mother’s name for me when I’m in trouble!

Tired is good on a Sunday, slowly working my way towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Hi Mab,

I would be interested in your experience with the Miguel Vergara, if you go for it. I have been looking at these myself.
    I’ve cooked a few packer briskets from Swaledale and have no issues at all with the quality of the meat or trimming.

https://swaledale.co.uk/products/smoking-brisket

I usually set up for indirect at 250 to 275 on the Weber 57cm using a slow and sear, so about 12 lit coals and dump them into one end and once your temp is settled, no fussing around, having a Bluetooth temperature probe helps.

I watch a lot of videos on this channel.

https://youtu.be/YTRVllIPAF8

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I’ve cooked a few packer briskets from Swaledale and have no issues at all with the quality of the meat or trimming.

I usually set up for indirect at 250 to 275 on the Weber 57cm using a slow and sear, so about 12 lit coals and dump them into one end and once your temp is settled, no fussing around, having a Bluetooth temperature probe helps.

Thanks Bruce.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    This morning I made a small table for them to go on, using some scrap wood i had lying around and a spare paving stone. Nothing like as fancy as that above but it keeps them off the floor
    Now i just need to try them out!
    Fancy?! How very dare you..! Your table looks ace. That looks like one of the original Oonis (Uuni) which I believe you can get a gas converter for as opposed to wood pellets, just FYI. I understand there's little lost in terms of taste, and the pellets can be a bit of a faff sometimes.

Master
    Hi Mab,

The discount at Tom Hixson expired the following day - I was too slow disappointingly. I’ll keep an eye out though.

Thanks for the info!

I’m feeling pretty confident cooking it, just wondering where people buy their briskets in the UK. Some are ludicrously expensive, but I’m not sure others (cheaper / UK breeds) necessarily have the intra muscular fat to make the most of the cook. As usual probably over-thinking it.

I love my knock-off slow n sear, but I now have a diffuser with the Summit and will be using that.

It will be beef short ribs first though, hopefully this weekend with any luck.
    Last edited by mab; 5th September 2022 at 17:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Fancy?! How very dare you..! Your table looks ace. That looks like one of the original Oonis (Uuni) which I believe you can get a gas converter for as opposed to wood pellets, just FYI. I understand there's little lost in terms of taste, and the pellets can be a bit of a faff sometimes.
    I tried the pizza oven last night and yes the pellets are a bit of a faff but the results were good! I will probably end up getting a gas burner for it though as I will probably make more use of it then.
    Unfortunately the heat from the oven cracked the paving slab table top though so I will need to rethink what to use instead.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Found these whilst browsing the web, certainly look the business but can't see many being sold here at up to $10,000+.

https://komodokamado.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    The discount at Tom Hixson expired the following day - I was too slow disappointingly. I’ll keep an eye out though.

Thanks for the info!

I’m feeling pretty confident cooking it, just wondering where people buy their briskets in the UK. Some are ludicrously expensive, but I’m not sure others (cheaper / UK breeds) necessarily have the intra muscular fat to make the most of the cook. As usual probably over-thinking it.

I love my knock-off slow n sear, but I now have a diffuser with the Summit and will be using that.

It will be beef short ribs first though, hopefully this weekend with any luck.
    Definitely lots of fat in all the right places, I’ve not tried a brisket from anywhere else so I don’t have any comparison.

All the meat I’ve had from them has been great, onglet steak especially, I’m planning pulled beef soon with cheeks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Found these whilst browsing the web, certainly look the business but can't see many being sold here at up to $10,000+.

https://komodokamado.com/

Yes these are beautiful. But far too expensive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I tried the pizza oven last night and yes the pellets are a bit of a faff but the results were good! I will probably end up getting a gas burner for it though as I will probably make more use of it then.
    Unfortunately the heat from the oven cracked the paving slab table top though so I will need to rethink what to use instead.
    Aw, that's really annoying. I was surprised to read that at first as mine doesn't get that hot underneath, but then I compared our photos above and the feet on the newer version are noticeably longet than the older one, so yours would have been closer to your tabletop.

Their customer services are meant to be good - it might be worth an email to them mentioning what's happened, and if they have a solution? It may be possible to fit the longer feet to the older model, for example, to stop it happening again?

https://support.ooni.com/en/support/home

Ordered one, this arrives tomoz:-

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p...e-egg-barbecue

Just going through ordering charcoal etc. - do folks have a preferred lighting method?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

Just going through ordering charcoal etc. - do folks have a preferred lighting method?
    I use a chimney starter with odourless firefighters or bunched up paper.

Blog Entries

That’s seems to be a keen price…. What’s the catch ?

Master
    Blog Entries

With the vent open it acts as it’s own starter, I just use a couple or wax woodies twist in the lump wood and it takes pretty quick.

Enjoy the new purchase, one of the best things I have purchased.

That’s seems to be a keen price…. What’s the catch ?
    Delivery is tomoz - will update the thread.

Blog Entries
    Delivery is tomoz - will update the thread.
    Please !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    With the vent open it acts as it’s own starter, I just use a couple or wax woodies twist in the lump wood and it takes pretty quick.

Enjoy the new purchase, one of the best things I have purchased.
    Same here. No need for a chimney. You can risk cracking the ceramic from the heat shock of emptying a hot chimney into the egg.

Enjoy the new purchase!

Please !
    Here it is.

Very pleased - super quality fittings, decent H/D cover included.

Master
    Looking good. Never to be that clean inside again! Gentle first burn and then time to get cooking on it.

Worth playing with the vents without any food on, learn to see the small adjustments and their effect on temperatures after 10-15 minutes.

Exciting times.

Craftsman
    I use a chimney starter with odourless firefighters or bunched up paper.
    I’m only basing this on what I’ve read rather than experience but a chimney starter isn’t supposed to be a good option for a ceramic BBQ due to the potential shock of a load of hot charcoal being dumped in to it.

I use these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Blaze-E...ps%2C58&sr=8-3

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Looking good. Never to be that clean inside again! Gentle first burn and then time to get cooking on it.

Worth playing with the vents without any food on, learn to see the small adjustments and their effect on temperatures after 10-15 minutes.

Exciting times.
    ^^^^
    This.

No need for anything other than some decent sized charcoal and something to get it going. Definitely no starter fluids or those easy start charcoals, just some wax woodies or some newspaper and a bit of air under it.

Blog Entries
    Here it is.

Very pleased - super quality fittings, decent H/D cover included.

Ooh…. That looks really smart…. I’m tempted and it appears to be half the price of the other brands

Craftsman
    Bit of a change to our Christmas lunch this year, we're having a rolled gigot of pork on the ceramic egg. The joint was supplied from my step-sister who has a small holding and the pig had a natural life rooting around. I hope I do it justice.

Anyone tried the pellet smokers? Thinking of one instead of a Kamodo but not sure if I’ll miss the direct heat! Or maybe both! Could get a smoker and small ceramic egg for about £1k…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Bit of a change to our Christmas lunch this year, we're having a rolled gigot of pork on the ceramic egg. The joint was supplied from my step-sister who has a small holding and the pig had a natural life rooting around. I hope I do it justice.
    That’s sounds ace

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Anyone tried the pellet smokers? Thinking of one instead of a Kamodo but not sure if I’ll miss the direct heat! Or maybe both! Could get a smoker and small ceramic egg for about £1k…
    My local hipster butcher is an ambassador for these https://www.traeger.com. He has had a few open days and they seem very good but not cheap, even coming from Kamado joe.

Also he now does mail order of you fancy a treat. https://butcherfarrell.co.uk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I have no direct experience, but a friend with a treagar has just bought a ceramic as found the pellet was a little too much of a one-trick-pony.

As a smoker-cooker, I am tempted to add a pellet to the mix but I am reading a few things on auger fires / blockages and a reticence to do an overnight cook.

They seem to get more accurate time per butt vs mine, so something works better there - or my friend is lying to his timings haha.

Egg and forced-air control is my way for the next few years certainly.

Rotisserie chicken tomorrow, can't wait!

Have a look at the Masterbuilt Gravity Series, they run the same way as a pellet grill, but have the advantage of getting up to 700f for searing and grilling, which you won't get on a pellet grill. If you are interested give Oliver the owner at Pro smoke a ring for advice. Although I don't own a Masterbuilt myself, I have bought a couple of other grills off Oliver and he is always willing to give advice.

https://prosmokebbq.co.uk/collection...fed-560-smoker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pKwT1V1WEU&t=297s

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mijyou; 6th January 2023 at 22:56.

Master
    Have a look at the Masterbuilt Gravity Series, they run the same way as a pellet grill, but have the advantage of getting up to 700f for searing and grilling, which you won't get on a pellet grill. If you are interested give Oliver the owner at Pro smoke a ring for advice. Although I don't own a Masterbuilt myself, I have bought a couple of other grills off Oliver and he is always willing to give advice.

I have always been concerned the level of pellet consumption to reach those temps, certainly heating up to it.

No idea vs lump wood, but an inherent 'fear' as it were.

In general pellet grills only get up to 500f, which does, as you say, make them a one trick pony, they are able to smoke, but with little or no high heat searing ability. Where as the Masterbuilt can do grilling and smoking, with the same set and forget features of the pellet grill.

Last edited by mijyou; 7th January 2023 at 08:41.

Brill, thanks. The more I read the more I think pellet isn’t the way to go. If I’m bbqing I want to bbq, not effectively oven cook outside. Aldi also have their egg in stock at £399 which seems a great value entry point to test the water.

I can confirm that the Aldi one is excellent. It lacks the many add-ons that you can buy for other brands (different size) but other than that it is faultless.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Do they take any charcoal - just briquettes (not lumpwood)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do they take any charcoal - just briquettes (not lumpwood)?
    They take both.

Master
    Blog Entries

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Aldi eggs are good for the money ( the stand is better than my KJ classic 2). I would consider stretching to a wild goose or similar though for the accessories options going forward and slightly bigger cooking space. Also the divide and conquer setup is really useful feature, you can buy them for the Aldi but your into the same outlay then.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/p...-kamado-grill/

A few people have the above on this thread
    Last edited by Middo; 7th January 2023 at 17:37.

Aldi eggs are good for the money ( the stand is better than my KJ classic 2). I would consider stretching to a wild goose or similar though for the accessories options going forward and slightly bigger cooking space. Also the divide and conquer setup is really useful feature, you can buy them for the Aldi but your into the same outlay then.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/p...-kamado-grill/

A few people have the above on this thread
    I’ve just ordered one of these, looks like a good deal.

I’m not meant to be using it for a while as I’ll be building an outdoor kitchen later in the year. Although once I’ve got it I can’t see myself leaving it sat there for 3 months!

Eventually I’ll have a 3x3m covered area to put a bbq, this kamado and then probably a pizza oven, storage, prep area etc. I’m hoping to get water over there and drainage too. In total it’ll be 12x3m, with space for dining and seating.

Has anyone plumbed gas in for their BBQ or is it not worth the hassle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea on the gas, but that outdoor kitchen sounds ace.

No idea on the gas, but that outdoor kitchen sounds ace.
    Yes, I’m looking forward to it. We’ve been wanting something like this for a long time and finally have the garden to pull it off. It’s two 6x3m wooden gazebos with some side panels, the kitchen area will be enclosed on 3 sides. Not sure if they’ll butt up against each other or whether we’ll have to leave a gap, but then we’d have one with kitchen / relaxed seating and one with dining area.

For now I’ll probably just put what I’ve got in there and will then plan out a timber or block frame, which I can then tile. That’s then plan anyway, will probably turn out completely different! Balancing cost / benefit as ever.

Main thing is to have a usable kitchen area year round.

Very fast delivery from greenhousepeople; I ordered on Tuesday and it was delivered on Thursday. I’ve unpacked the grill and it all looks good, but it’s definitely a 2 man job to assemble so that will have to wait for now. I keep on watching YouTube videos so I’m not sure I’ll be able to wait until mid-year to use it.

How do they hold up left outside? With a cover (which i’d need to buy). I can store it in the garage if not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Very fast delivery from greenhousepeople; I ordered on Tuesday and it was delivered on Thursday. I’ve unpacked the grill and it all looks good, but it’s definitely a 2 man job to assemble so that will have to wait for now. I keep on watching YouTube videos so I’m not sure I’ll be able to wait until mid-year to use it.

How do they hold up left outside? With a cover (which i’d need to buy). I can store it in the garage if not.

My BGE lives outside all year round under a cover - it is fine.

I also cook all year round on it, so please don't wait until mid-year; you can even use them in the rain. I have an awning over mine but mainly for comfort etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post

I’ve been tempted to use mine as well, the mild weather is starting to convince me.

As for being left outside , I’ve left my Aldi egg outside all year for a couple years , just give the inside a good clean and brush and leave the vents a little open for airflow and it’s held up fine under a cover.

Excellent news, thanks chaps. Will get it outside this week then