closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    If it doesnt work out try Beer Can chicken or spatchcock chicken, both much easier to get superb results
    I am new to smoking and tried a beer can chicken yesterday for the first time. It was incredible!!! Will be definitely doing more.

Master
    So far I have tried brisket hot and fast and ribs low and slow.

The brisket came out very dry but had amazing flavour. Cut it up when rested and re heated in the oven with some bbq sauce, it was stunning! Just got to figure out how to make it more juicy, will try low and slow next time I think.

The ribs came out really well, again amazing flavour. I think they might have needed another 30 - 45 mins or so to really be falling off the bone but overall really nice.

Have managed to get good temp control using a digital temp probe with a really good app that tells you when the grill and meat are are within certain temp ranges. Really helps me.

Will try the chicken next I think, looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Weber kettle user but I recently discovered MEATER+ probes and I am quite impressed; Tried it on beef in BBQ and lamb in the oven, and results using the app were impressive.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Brisket is funny.

You can cook it slow and get worried that it's quite tough, but that usually because it's not cooked long enough. Once it gets to 90C to the magic 95C you'll see it come right. Same with beef ribs.

However, the choice of meat is important. Lean or really mature beef doesn't work.

Master
    I’ve yet to master brisket. Even my rub changes flavour; I use a beef rub recipe from amazing ribs. Tastes perfect on beef rib, but use the same batch on brisket & it just tastes of pepper, to the level that I need to scrape it off.

Oh and despite the flavours, I haven’t managed to get the meat to a point where I’m excited about the texture. It’s the only thing I have when I eat at a bbq restaurant, as personally think my pork & ribs are better!

Master
    Couple of slabs of Picanha just arrived but frozen and probably not going to be defrosted tonight but when they are its new Joetisserie time....

Journeyman
    Don't, its almost as addictive as watches are!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Couple of slabs of Picanha just arrived but frozen and probably not going to be defrosted tonight but when they are its new Joetisserie time....
    Just bought a joetisserie, how is it?

Master
    When it stops raining and the meat has defrosted I’ll let you know :)
    A test fit and spin looked good though.

Where did you get it from? - planning on doing some over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Just bought a joetisserie, how is it?

I’ve done a couple of chickens on mine so far.

They are not cheap, but seem to be very good quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Where did you get it from? - planning on doing some over the weekend.
    Couple of the big ones

https://www.sherwoodfoods.co.uk/shop...picanha-steak/

Just looking at Sherwood baby back ribs and a brisket. I may give them a try and see what they are like

Twice the price here in Uk for the joetisserie. Currently going in USA for $166. I should have been going on holiday to Orlando tomorrow too :(

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Joetisserie was £229 on Amazon last week but back to retail now.

Still cant find an ash basket and pan anywhere. Only had the thing 10 years but I *need* one now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The kick ash basket is the best upgrade I bought for my KJ. Much improved airflow makes it easier to hit higher temps and hold temps on low and slow cooks.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Joetisserie was £229 on Amazon last week but back to retail now.

Still cant find an ash basket and pan anywhere. Only had the thing 10 years but I *need* one now.
    Bought the basket from BBQ Barn last week. Can’t find a pan anywhere either.

Master
    Part of my regret was going XL, whilst the cooking space is great & the double each home made gives me all the space I need to entertain, the lack of extras is often a bugger.

Couldn’t justify the large as gave me no more space than my 47” WSM when I added a second grill. However sometimes lighting the XL for 2 steaks seems excessive so tends to get used as a smoker more than anything.

Thinking of getting some fire bricks to make a smaller charcoal area. Alternatively a mini one, but the wife isn’t a fan of that plan!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Part of my regret was going XL, whilst the cooking space is great & the double each home made gives me all the space I need to entertain, the lack of extras is often a bugger.

Couldn’t justify the large as gave me no more space than my 47” WSM when I added a second grill. However sometimes lighting the XL for 2 steaks seems excessive so tends to get used as a smoker more than anything.

Thinking of getting some fire bricks to make a smaller charcoal area. Alternatively a mini one, but the wife isn’t a fan of that plan!

Sous vide and finish in he uuni job done...

Master
    Picanha on - bit miffed as the grain went diagonally through the cut I was sent so had to do some lopsided steaks to get the grain the right way round once on the skewer.

Now sat slowly spinning around and smells lovely, roll on half an hour or so...

Master
    Getting there.

Mrs likes hers a la carbon.

Master
    Good grief - just had a sly slice and its the best thing I've had in my mouth since lockdown started.
    And I've had a few things in there.

Also this is quite fantastic. 9% or so and there's fire involved (and I'm still at work) so there could be trouble.

Good grief - just had a sly slice and its the best thing I've had in my mouth since lockdown started.
    And I've had a few things in there.

Also this is quite fantastic. 9% or so and there's fire involved (and I'm still at work) so there could be trouble.

I’ve just had a box of that delivered, it’ll be helping or hindering tonight’s lamb and chicken kebabs on the egg.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I’ve just had a box of that delivered, it’ll be helping or hindering tonight’s lamb and chicken kebabs on the egg.
    I'll try and find some - Tesco had the odd can lying around last weekend.
    Its very very smooth with all manner of treacly, coffeey caramelly goodness going on.

Their OG IPA was great too - better than the Hazy Jane which was nice in itself.

Master
    Left overs for the weekend.

Dont bugger about putting a rub or anything on them, doesnt need it.
    Did one just salt and the other gave a baste of garlic/paprika/more salt/other bits during cooking and it spoilt the taste of the meat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Sous vide and finish in he uuni job done...
    Indeed, but then that too seems a lot of gas vs searing in a pan!

I always super chill my steak & pre-sear, back in the freezer to remove the heat. Dry & then vacuum seal before into the sous vide.

End 'sear' is just drying the outer edges, always found in an easier way to approach it.

Want to upgrade my SV but this is the wrong thread!

I wish I didn’t know these things existed:

https://store-uk.meater.com/products/meater-block

Meater wireless temperature probes.

Brilliant they are, too. The meater + has a longer range

Master
    Seems like a lot extra to pay just for wireless capability. I bought a really good wired one for about £40 that connects to an app and seems to work really well. Not sure I see £230 worth of value in the wireless bit.

Seems like a lot extra to pay just for wireless capability. I bought a really good wired one for about £40 that connects to an app and seems to work really well. Not sure I see £230 worth of value in the wireless bit.

They sell a single probe for around 80 quid. I use it for the rotisserie, no tangled wires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

That's the 3 probe one. I find mine really convenient, and find it good value for ca £100
    YMMV

Craftsman
    Arrived on Thursday and the pharmacy I run had a devastating electrical fire early hours Friday (nobody in building or hurt). Not quite in the mood to light it up surprisingly but oh my it looks soooo good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    They sell a single probe for around 80 quid. I use it for the rotisserie, no tangled wires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Thats a fair one hadn’t figured out how to use mine on the rotisserie yet!

Craftsman
    Thats a fair one hadn’t figured out how to use mine on the rotisserie yet!

+1 for Meater probe on rotisserie.

Not cheap, but works well for me.

Meater + is the one I’ll go for I think. Doesn’t have the ability to access over the net, but I’m sure it’s possible to link to a raspberry pi for that..

Id use a wired one, but no good for a rotisserie.

Master
    Just used the rotisserie for the first time, did 2 chickens. Came out superbly, amazing flavour and really juicy. Really impressed !

Craftsman
    Tomorrow I fire up our Masterbuilt “Kamado Joe“ for the first time with the plan to slow roast some beef short ribs.
    We have a recipe including heat settings which I’ll be following closely for an approx 6 hour cook

I have restaurant charcoal but no lighters so I’m planning to use some of the kindling sticks we have for the log burner and light it with my blow torch.
    What methods do you normally use?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barreti View Post
    Tomorrow I fire up our Masterbuilt “Kamado Joe“ for the first time with the plan to slow roast some beef short ribs.
    We have a recipe including heat settings which I’ll be following closely for an approx 6 hour cook

I have restaurant charcoal but no lighters so I’m planning to use some of the kindling sticks we have for the log burner and light it with my blow torch.
    What methods do you normally use?
    I use these, they're brilliant: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FF436..._VahhFbP7YJEA6

Was planning to do ribs this weekend but the weather has put me off. Let us know how yours come out and the recipe if any good.

Master

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

I’ve used a variety, ranging from dry twigs to the BGE lighters. I find the later better to be honest.

If kindling was pine based, I’d probably not want the resin / fragrance inside the ceramic. But could be completely off track there.

Toying with buying one of those hot air lighters, they review well but I’ve just never got around to it.

Edit to say I’ve also used the above & work well. Best of luck with the first cook, my first beef rib went really well & they then fell off the bone transferring to the plate, ruining the visual.

I started with pork butts, very forgiving even if they take longer to do. Never got one of those wrong yet.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    I use these, they're brilliant: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FF436..._VahhFbP7YJEA6

Was planning to do ribs this weekend but the weather has put me off. Let us know how yours come out and the recipe if any good.
    +1.

I use these too. Great for the Kamado and the woodburner in Winter too.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I’m sitting looking at our ribs and dying to try them, but they are resting for 10 mins.

The whole process today has been very relaxing. I’m making a small parking place for the gas bbq as the egg has usurped it a bit - not least because it’s a damned site nicer to look at - and just got on with preparing the space while keeping an eye on the egg temps and tweaking it occasionally to keep it at 120C
    We weren’t happy at 6 hrs when the finishing 30 mins basting was supposed to happen, so they went back in for another 45 mins which made all the difference. Having started at midday tonight’s dinner has been a long time coming.

Starting was easy after my panic yesterday.
    Initially firing it up with my blowtorch but that spat a bit so I got my hot air gun which was 100% better.

Time for dinner 😊

Craftsman
    photo's please! :)

I’m sitting looking at our ribs and dying to try them, but they are resting for 10 mins.

The whole process today has been very relaxing. I’m making a small parking place for the gas bbq as the egg has usurped it a bit - not least because it’s a damned site nicer to look at - and just got on with preparing the space while keeping an eye on the egg temps and tweaking it occasionally to keep it at 120C
    We weren’t happy at 6 hrs when the finishing 30 mins basting was supposed to happen, so they went back in for another 45 mins which made all the difference. Having started at midday tonight’s dinner has been a long time coming.

Starting was easy after my panic yesterday.
    Initially firing it up with my blowtorch but that spat a bit so I got my hot air gun which was 100% better.

Time for dinner 

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    photo's please! :)
    IMG_4022.JPG
    IMG_4023.JPG

How do I get these to be better quality and embedded into the post rather than a link?
    I uploaded them from my phone so I know they are a higher res than this.

Feedback on the ribs - these were beef short ribs.
    I liked them though Mrs B said she was underwhelmed. She says they weren’t as tender as she expected.
    I’m guessing we did something wrong with the way we packaged them before putting them into the BBQ so would appreciate comments on the below

BBQ lit and brought to 120C - about 40 mins

For the first 4 hours they were sat in a foil lined tin tray (but the foil was open) and the tray was placed on the wire rack over the indirect heat side of the fire
    For the next 2 hours a splash of beer was added to the foil which was then closed and placed back on the indirect heat side but without the tray underneath
    They weren’t tender enough after this so they were wrapped back up and left for another 45 minutes which improved them.
    Removed from the foil, basted in BBQ sauce and put directly on the grill for 15 minutes each side.

Left to rest for 10 mins before eating.
    Last edited by barreti; 27th July 2020 at 13:28. Reason: Question about uploading pics.

Craftsman
    You're method is very similar to my first go yesterday with same results actually.
    I had them straight in the grill indirect with drip pan underneath. I think I just need to keep on practicing. (With cheesy polenta)

Craftsman
    Nice. I’ve never had Polenta, let alone the cheese version which I like the sound of.
    Odd that we should have not only bought the Masterbuild at the same time but also chose beef short ribs as the first thing to cook.
    We are planning pork burnt ends for tomorrow, what are you doing next?
    Last edited by barreti; 27th July 2020 at 18:44.

Craftsman
    I'm thinking lamb shoulder sloooooooow this weekend maybe some quick sausages mid week just because I can haha.

My terraced home yard has had a decent car port built by a previuos owner so I can cook rain or shine and I'm hoping to develop an outdoor kitchen in there. How you finding the Masterbuilt? I was looking at other brands but for what's basically a black KJ classic 1 but MUCH cheaper it was a no brainer.

Joe

Nice. I’ve never had Polenta, let alone the cheese version which I like the sound of.
    Odd that we should have not only bought the Masterbuild at the same time but also chose beef short ribs as the first thing to cook.
    We are planning pork burnt ends for tomorrow, what are you doing next?

Master
    Since the Ooni arrived, the egg hasn’t been used, seeing the comment of slow cooked lamb has me salivating!

Will have to get back in the game shortly. I’ve got an awning that comes out from the side of the garage over the egg, so no weather excuses.

Craftsman
    I've had an ooni 3 for a few years now. I love it but for searing meat I always found the flame too close to the surface and charred a but much for my liking. Saying that I can't see myself cooking pizzas on the kamado either so I've got the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Since the Ooni arrived, the egg hasn’t been used, seeing the comment of slow cooked lamb has me salivating!

Will have to get back in the game shortly. I’ve got an awning that comes out from the side of the garage over the egg, so no weather excuses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    I've had an ooni 3 for a few years now. I love it but for searing meat I always found the flame too close to the surface and charred a but much for my liking. Saying that I can't see myself cooking pizzas on the kamado either so I've got the best of both worlds.
    Exactly how I see it as well. My steaks are always sous vide these days & cant get over the lighting of ooni or egg for a quick sear.

Still want a mini egg of whatever brand to save lighting the XL but the wife disagrees!

Master

First pizza today, absolutely stunning!