closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Master
    Thanks for the tip, but that’s double the price of the Aldi, which, for the Scottish weather is too much for something that probably won’t see a huge amount of use.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, but that’s double the price of the Aldi, which, for the Scottish weather is too much for something that probably won’t see a huge amount of use.
    Don't underestimate usage. I cooked roast lamb on christmas day on my Kamado (Turkey in the oven). Lid down cooking means you can cook in all weathers.

Craftsman
    My BGE has been used on Christmas day for several years, a friend nearby has 2 eggs, 3 Webbers & a smoker & cooks the entire meal on them.

Interested to know how durable the ceramic liners are for these, are they fairly resistant to cracking, chipping etc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Interested to know how durable the ceramic liners are for these, are they fairly resistant to cracking, chipping etc
    They can crack if dropped or abused, but the ceramic is pretty thick (in the BGE at least)

First light of my XL 4 years ago. Not that clean anymore, but all still in perfect condition

Craftsman
    Aldi kamado back in stock.

Master
    Out of stock again, and I missed out, again.

Quote Originally Posted by tomp View Post
    For pudding, get a foil tray and put pineapple rings, some golden sugar and a bit of that over them. Leave to simmer away while you eat your main and then have beautiful caramelised spiced rum pineapple rings.
    Thanks for the tip - tried this today, it was a hit and going to be repeated very often!
    Although next time will remember to put them on whilst we're eating, not afterwards!

We added a sprinkle of cinnamon along with the brown sugar.
    Also had a scope of ice cream (salted caramel) with each ring. The cold vs hot was great!

Can someone talk me out of getting one of these, are they really so good?
    Last edited by Crispin; 9th May 2020 at 15:53.

Journeyman
    I’ve got the Costco one, bought last summer. How do you actually achieve a low and slow cook? Literally fill it up with charcoal, light it, close the lid and leave it?

There's a YouTube channel called Abom79, which is about metal working. Adam, the guy who runs the channel, has a second channel where he posts cooking videos, among other things. This probably won't help much.

Low and slow pulled pork, Florida style:

https://youtu.be/Hfg98qmSngs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    I’ve got the Costco one, bought last summer. How do you actually achieve a low and slow cook? Literally fill it up with charcoal, light it, close the lid and leave it?
    Temperature control. Full basket of lumpwood. Get the fire started and leave for 15 to 20 minutes minutes. Then bottom vent a bit less than an inch and the top vent slightly open will hold a temperature of around 250f which is what you need (225f - 275f) for low and slow smoking. I don't tend to use wood for smoking as my wife likes it less smokey.

I have another brisket to do this weekend. This will be my first overnight smoke and I will kick it off at 23:00 tonight for lunch tomorrow. Capture the brisket drippings in a pan underneath which holds water and sliced onions to make awesome gravy or as a great soup base for pho the next day (any left over brisket goes on top of the pho as slices too).

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Temperature control. Full basket of lumpwood. Get the fire started and leave for 15 to 20 minutes minutes. Then bottom vent a bit less than an inch and the top vent slightly open will hold a temperature of around 250f which is what you need (225f - 275f) for low and slow smoking. I don't tend to use wood for smoking as my wife likes it less smokey.

I have another brisket to do this weekend. This will be my first overnight smoke and I will kick it off at 23:00 tonight for lunch tomorrow. Capture the brisket drippings in a pan underneath which holds water and sliced onions to make awesome gravy or as a great soup base for pho the next day (any left over brisket goes on top of the pho as slices too).
    My next project. Thanks for the onion tip in the drip tray

Craftsman
    Not gonna happen, they really are that good.
    Bought mine (Louisiana Grill) from Costco last Saturday, so far we’ve had :-
    Burgers Sunday
    Pizza Monday
    Spatchcock chicken Tuesday
    Steak & ribs Wednesday
    Salmon & ribs Thursday
    Garlic chicken kebabs today.

Missed out Friday as it was fish n chips cooked inside by my good lady.

Couple of quick pics, even cooked haloumi & qourn on it for my veggie daughter.

Probably the best value Ł600 I’ve spent recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    My next project. Thanks for the onion tip in the drip tray
    You need a whole lot of water in too. It will be evaporating for 12 hours so keep it from drying out and all that flavoursome goodness from burning. The roasting tin should be at least 2/3rds full of water and sat on the heat deflector. Top up water as needed. If you use too much water it is not a problem as you reduce it down on the stove. There will be a lot of fat, but easy enough to separate before reducing.

You need a whole lot of water in too. It will be evaporating for 12 hours so keep it from drying out and all that flavoursome goodness from burning. The roasting tin should be at least 2/3rds full of water and sat on the heat deflector. Top up water as needed. If you use too much water it is not a problem as you reduce it down on the stove. There will be a lot of fat, but easy enough to separate before reducing.
    Thank you!

Journeyman

Thanks mate, I’m going to give it a go

Craftsman

Results from the overnight smoke. I have found with smaller briskets we tend to find in the UK (rather than US), that leaving them rolled as they often come is better for stopping drying out. At some point after lockdown I'll try a bigger whole brisket.

I put into a Texas Crutch (basically wrap in foil) in the morning to get over the stall. The meat sits at 160f internal for ages and the best way to get passed this is to wrap. I cooked to internal temperature of 203f which my research indicates is the sweet spot to break down all the connective tissue.

The oven pan shows the original amount of water and how much it reduced by.

Forgot to take a pic of the finished brisket, but this is what we have left. Smoke ring visible and meat was moist and tender served in brioche buns with salad, pickes and sauce. Remains will go into a pho I'll make in the next day or two from the onion stock.

This was a 1.5kg rolled brisket from waitrose feeding 5 of us. I have a 3kg on the bone brisket arriving this week from a butchers. Full size is 6kg upwards.

Journeyman
    Results from the overnight smoke. I have found with smaller briskets we tend to find in the UK (rather than US), that leaving them rolled as they often come is better for stopping drying out. At some point after lockdown I'll try a bigger whole brisket.

I put into a Texas Crutch (basically wrap in foil) in the morning to get over the stall. The meat sits at 160f internal for ages and the best way to get passed this is to wrap. I cooked to internal temperature of 203f which my research indicates is the sweet spot to break down all the connective tissue.

The oven pan shows the original amount of water and how much it reduced by.

Forgot to take a pic of the finished brisket, but this is what we have left. Smoke ring visible and meat was moist and tender served in brioche buns with salad, pickes and sauce. Remains will go into a pho I'll make in the next day or two from the onion stock.

This was a 1.5kg rolled brisket from waitrose feeding 5 of us. I have a 3kg on the bone brisket arriving this week from a butchers. Full size is 6kg upwards.
    That meat looks superb mate

Master
    I’m just resting a topside 3kg that been smoking since this morning , obviously I pinched a bit as I was wrapping it and I’m not sure I’m going to share it lol. Absolutely stunning so moist and juicy

Is brisket the best cut of beef? I think it may well be. I've never had a steak that was as nice as a decently cooked brisket.

Nice one Mangoosian

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Is brisket the best cut of beef? I think it may well be. I've never had a steak that was as nice as a decently cooked brisket.
    I think it is the best value and bang-for-buck cut. Epic flavour, but needs the effort put in (which is part of the fun).

Journeyman
    Must. Keep. Wallet. In. Pocket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    Must. Keep. Wallet. In. Pocket.
    Think of all the money you have saved in not commuting, or eating & drinking out....

Craftsman
    Lidl are advertising their version of a “mini komado ceramic egg” on sale next Thursday, Ł80 reduced from Ł150.

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried the Lidl version?

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Lidl version?
    Looks like it may be this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Landmann-11.../dp/B07KFL38MP

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Lidl are advertising their version of a “mini komado ceramic egg” on sale next Thursday, Ł80 reduced from Ł150.

Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up!

Do you know if they will be available from early on, or if they are displayed later in the day
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quite like the price of the Lidl version, hope I can find one in stock.

Doesn't come with a heat deflector by the look of it. So would need to sort something out to cook indirect. One of the reviews said they used a ceramic tile, which sounds like a good idea.

Craftsman
    Saw heat deflectors for this and others advertised on eBay.

Well I just taken the plunge on a Kamado Joe III. Wife is asking why we need 4 bbq in a house of 2.

Some Webber bbq and smok we coming to sales corner soon.

Looks amazing bit of kit and going to get prepared to start using it next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Well I just taken the plunge on a Kamado Joe III. Wife is asking why we need 4 bbq in a house of 2.

If you haven't seen it already, I found this video helpful to show how to set the vents for different temperatures.

https://youtu.be/eDpeEr6PuWU

Thanks mijyou

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post

Where did you get this from? Can’t find them in stock anywhere.....

Journeyman
    Been trawling the net for a competeatively priced one. Found this place. Not the most professional site in the world but there you go.
    https://www.kamado.co.uk/

Edit: chatting with Mrs D. She like the idea of a branded market leader. I've broached the subject of a Kamado Joe 3 and told her how much. She hasn't fainted yet. At Ł1800 does anyone thing it's worth it at more than twice the price of an unbranded?
    Last edited by Mr.Dee; 17th May 2020 at 12:13.

Craftsman
    Been trawling the net for a competeatively priced one. Found this place. Not the most professional site in the world but there you go.
    https://www.kamado.co.uk/

Edit: chatting with Mrs D. She like the idea of a branded market leader. I've broached the subject of a Kamado Joe 3 and told her how much. She hasn't fainted yet. At Ł1800 does anyone thing it's worth it at more than twice the price of an unbranded?
    The KJ Classic 1 is half that price.

Masterbuilt are rebadged KJ Classic 1s but you get a few less accessories and lifetime warranty.

Wild Goose are essentially also rebadged KJ Classic 1s. You get accessories, but lose the lifetime warranty.

KJ has a very good range of accessories like iKamand, Joetisserie, etc so for me KJ (or clone) is the way to go to have the options of those accessories.

I have started overnight and longer smokes and am contemplating the iKamand to maintain stable temperature whilst I am asleep or out and about.
    Last edited by mangoosian; 17th May 2020 at 13:04.

Master
    4 hours into a leg of lamb cook on my Costco version aiming to shred it so it’ll be a 6 hour cook smells amazing and if it even comes close to the lamb shoulder I did a few weeks back I’ll be pleased.

Journeyman
    Made me mind up. Not paying 900 notes for a posh hinge and upgraded cart.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    https://www.gardentrends.co.uk/produ...xoCON4QAvD_BwE
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Where did you get this from? Can’t find them in stock anywhere.....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

[QUOTE=zanderpants;5418651]Where did you get this from? Can’t find them in stock anywhere.....

Last one they had in stock. They did tell me that KJ is taking orders from dealers again from Monday, but have no idea on eta.

I have seen a few online but no idea on reliability of these companies.

Regarding the small one (Lidl): Can a pizza stone be used for indirect heat, as the site linked to earlier has small 8" ones that should fit?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Regarding the small one (Lidl): Can a pizza stone be used for indirect heat, as the site linked to earlier has small 8" ones that should fit?
    It will work as long as its the correct size, if its too small you will get direct heat round the edges that may burn what your grilling.

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    It will work as long as its the correct size, if its too small you will get direct heat round the edges that may burn what your grilling.
    Thank you. I am looking for an alternative as the Lidl one doesn't come with that accessory. I am gently convincing myself that it will be a useful addition to my Weber kettle...
    That said I do not know if my local Lidl will have any, and if yes how many.

Master
    Thank you. I am looking for an alternative as the Lidl one doesn't come with that accessory. I am gently convincing myself that it will be a useful addition to my Weber kettle...
    That said I do not know if my local Lidl will have any, and if yes how many.
    I think this might work - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lidl-Mini...p/323898447957

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Not cheap but will last for ever. Thank you

Craftsman
    Smoked brisket flat on the bone. Delicious. Bones now boiling up for stock too.

Craftsman
    Yes a pizza stone can be used as a heat deflector for indirect cooking. For the lidl kamado, a 9" stone can be gotten for Ł10-15. You will ideally need some sort of wire rack to rest the stone on, then there will be the grate with a sufficient air gap above it.