closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Leg of lamb and a shoulder of pork. I cooked them together to save time and charcoal

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking a temp probes are the wired ones okay, so the wires fail being trapped why the heavy lid?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Looking a temp probes are the wired ones okay, so the wires fail being trapped why the heavy lid?
    The gasket is quite cushioned so I’ve not had a problem with the probes failing. I only moved onto meater for the convenience of remote monitoring and the app.

Master
    For under 10 quid you can’t really go wrong.

Master
    I’ve used an older version of this for about 13 years. Occasionally the probes fail, but tends to be where the wire joins the metal probe bs being trapped by the lid.

As mentioned the felt cushions it well. It has also survived a few years on a Weber Smokey mountain, which was just a metal on metal lid to body area without and issues.

https://www.thermometersdirect.co.uk...ermometer.html

using an archway bbq at the moment but definitely envious of the big green egg setups

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I use either my meater or inkbird probes. The inkbird ones are pretty decent BUT don't pay full price, different versions go cheap on amazon every few weeks.

Joe

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all, will give a cheaper version a go first.

Our cheapy BBQ has had it day it's square 20 inch x 19inch grill surface, which is fine for the four of us. Looking at replacement the Aldi/ Big eggs look a little er big, and the minis too mini, any recommendations from the BBQ gurus- I'd prefer Aldi egg prices rather than KJ prices if poss.

Thanks
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 30th April 2022 at 18:27. Reason: units *wibble*

I think the kamado joe juniors are a good place to start, we had the equivalent (monolith junior) for a couple of years and it was fine for our family. The main restriction we found was if we had people over and we wanted to do a big cut of meat or cook a lot on one go, but for a family of four it was fine and is cheaper entry into kamado cooking.

The Aldi is the perfect size and price for your needs, although those needs are likely to increase as you use it.
    The masterbuilt (link a few posts above) looks a good option too, for a little more money.
    The Kamado Joe range looks superb but the cost is a significant step up.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 30th April 2022 at 20:58.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Our cheapy BBQ has had it day it's square 20 inch x 19inch grill surface, which is fine for the four of us. Looking at replacement the Aldi/ Big eggs look a little er big, and the minis too mini, any recommendations from the BBQ gurus- I'd prefer Aldi egg prices rather than KJ prices if poss.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    I think the kamado joe juniors are a good place to start, we had the equivalent (monolith junior) for a couple of years and it was fine for our family. The main restriction we found was if we had people over and we wanted to do a big cut of meat or cook a lot on one go, but for a family of four it was fine and is cheaper entry into kamado cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The Aldi is the perfect size and price for your needs, although those needs are likely to increase as you use it.
    The masterbuilt (link a few posts above) looks a good option too, for a little more money.
    The Kamado Joe range looks superb but the cost is a significant step up.
    Thanks both.
    After disappearing in a cloud of BBQ youtubing (there really is too much!), I'm edging towards the Aldi, but others seem to come with bundles of kit (at nearly double the cost), I like the idea of pizza stone (once it's broken in from my limited knowledge gained today!) but are there any "essential" accessories or is that where the increased needs means better biting the bullet on the higher end kit bundle?

Thanks both.
    After disappearing in a cloud of BBQ youtubing (there really is too much!), I'm edging towards the Aldi, but others seem to come with bundles of kit (at nearly double the cost), I like the idea of pizza stone (once it's broken in from my limited knowledge gained today!) but are there any "essential" accessories or is that where the increased needs means better biting the bullet on the higher end kit bundle?
    The Aldi egg is significantly smaller than any of the non junior Joe/BGE/Monolith etc offerings, and is certainly not ‘big’ but it’s a good size for cooking for a family, and at the price is just about the best deal going. I don’t think a kamado is the best place to cook a pizza, so wouldn’t let that sway me.

I don’t know much about the Aldi one at all, but with the kamado joes the bundles I’ve never found to offer a substantial saving over rrp (especially as bits tend to come up on sale), so personally I’d stick to the core unit as a starter, get used to it and enjoy it then step up from there. Without any additional accessories there’s still a lot you can cook, enough to keep you busy for a season IMO and decide what you want to expand with your collection.

One thing I would say about the Aldi is, it is handy having the wide selection of accessories available in the kamado joe range. Now they may well fit the Aldi anyway (and Aldi may have their own), but something to bear in mind. Perhaps an owner of an Aldi one can shed more light on accessory availability and compatibility.

I don’t know much about the Aldi one at all, but with the kamado joes the bundles I’ve never found to offer a substantial saving over rrp (especially as bits tend to come up on sale), so personally I’d stick to the core unit as a starter, get used to it and enjoy it then step up from there. Without any additional accessories there’s still a lot you can cook, enough to keep you busy for a season IMO and decide what you want to expand with your collection.

One thing I would say about the Aldi is, it is handy having the wide selection of accessories available in the kamado joe range. Now they may well fit the Aldi anyway (and Aldi may have their own), but something to bear in mind. Perhaps an owner of an Aldi one can shed more light on accessory availability and compatibility.
    Pretty much nothing is compatible with an Aldi, for size reasons. There is a rotisserie you can get, which if pushed I could find the details of, but that’s about it. I’ll agree that the Joe bundles aren’t worth the effort, I bought a plain Joe, and bought the accessories I wanted (everything except the the DoJoe or whatever it’s called pretty much) and by buying at offer prices spent less than if I’d bought a bundle of stuff I wouldn’t use.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    The Aldi egg is significantly smaller than any of the non junior Joe/BGE/Monolith etc offerings, and is certainly not ‘big’ but it’s a good size for cooking for a family, and at the price is just about the best deal going. I don’t think a kamado is the best place to cook a pizza, so wouldn’t let that sway me.

Pretty much nothing is compatible with an Aldi, for size reasons. There is a rotisserie you can get, which if pushed I could find the details of, but that’s about it. I’ll agree that the Joe bundles aren’t worth the effort, I bought a plain Joe, and bought the accessories I wanted (everything except the the DoJoe or whatever it’s called pretty much) and by buying at offer prices spent less than if I’d bought a bundle of stuff I wouldn’t use.
    Thanks, was thinking more future proof on it's own or bundle like this https://www.kamado.co.uk/21-Kamado-Grill_c_25.html as realistically 21" seems about right size, although price still brings me back to Aldi

Thanks, was thinking more future proof on it's own or bundle like this https://www.kamado.co.uk/21-Kamado-Grill_c_25.html as realistically 21" seems about right size, although price still brings me back to Aldi
    I’d forgotten about Ynni, they do a divide and conquer that fits the Aldi, I bought one when I had the Aldi, and it was really good. So my previous point about no accessories for the Aldi is more or less nonsense :)

I have no experience of the Ynni Kamados, but I very nearly bought one, and would have had I not got a good deal on a Joe.

Reading the description the grid diameter is only 18.5 inches. Which makes it much the same as the KJ, Masterbuilt classic. I would go for the Masterbuilt as pointed out above. It is 599 and being a black Kamado Joe, all the KJ accessories will fit. Plus you get the better warranty.

Master
    Blog Entries

Thanks both.
    I think you can get a pizza stone on Amazon that fits the Aldi one? I’m looking at those and if I can also get a table made to it it like the Big Egg I might be swayed as the Egg table combo is £2.2k or there abouts!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I think you can get a pizza stone on Amazon that fits the Aldi one? I’m looking at those and if I can also get a table made to it it like the Big Egg I might be swayed as the Egg table combo is £2.2k or there abouts!
    Which wood are you considering? And could you let us know how much you're being quoted, please?

As for pizza, Aldi's already come with a ceramic stone for indirect cooking which can be used as a pizza stone I believe. However I am not sure a Kamado is such a good option for cooking pizzas. But then I know it can be done and I do not dare looking into cooking pizzas, the current TZ thread has scared (and possibly scarred) me for life

Which wood are you considering? And could you let us know how much you're being quoted, please?

As for pizza, Aldi's already come with a ceramic stone for indirect cooking which can be used as a pizza stone I believe. However I am not sure a Kamado is such a good option for cooking pizzas. But then I know it can be done and I do not dare looking into cooking pizzas, the current TZ thread has scared (and possibly scarred) me for life
    🤣 yes will update when I get a quote. We have a good joiner in Streatham who have done our windows and doors so I’m sure they can knock up a table with an appropriately sized hole. Green Egg uses Acacia so that would be my starting point.

Edit: quick search of Etsy has several options at £400-500ish. Saving of nearly £1500 of the Big Green Egg set up…
    Last edited by dougair; 3rd May 2022 at 12:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    🤣 yes will update when I get a quote. We have a good joiner in Streatham who have done our windows and doors so I’m sure they can knock up a table with an appropriately sized hole. Green Egg uses Acacia so that would be my starting point.

Edit: quick search of Etsy has several options at £400-500ish. Saving of nearly £1500 of the Big Green Egg set up…
    Yes, there are some great tables out there to be made. I have the Mahogany XL BGE table and if / when it requires replacing I will go aftermarket for sure as their prices are mental.

There are some metal units for BGE that are about 3-4k just for sitting it in. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still new to the ALDI egg bbq thing, but enjoying it so far. Six hour pulled pork shoulder yesterday. Demolished in a few minutes by the family. Whole thing literally inhaled by them.

Not really hunting for accessories as yet, but first may well be some form of divide and conquer plates and racks…but not really needed them so far.

The 2022 ALDI egg is 20” (same as last year I think) so there are some accessories out there.

kamadokings.co.uk “media” kamado seems to be the same size as the ALDI one. BBQ Life UK on YouTube seems to indicate their accessories will fit.

Next up, ribs.

Master
    Blog Entries

My Aldi one has arrived, might send it back though and get this. Seems a great deal.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/p...-kamado-grill/
    Last edited by Middo; 3rd May 2022 at 21:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    Still new to the ALDI egg bbq thing, but enjoying it so far. Six hour pulled pork shoulder yesterday. Demolished in a few minutes by the family. Whole thing literally inhaled by them.

Not really hunting for accessories as yet, but first may well be some form of divide and conquer plates and racks…but not really needed them so far.

The 2022 ALDI egg is 20” (same as last year I think) so there are some accessories out there.

kamadokings.co.uk “media” kamado seems to be the same size as the ALDI one. BBQ Life UK on YouTube seems to indicate their accessories will fit.

Next up, ribs.
    What weight & temp was the pork? Seems very short for a decent weight. Ribs are just as easy & seem more popular with my guests.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What weight & temp was the pork? Seems very short for a decent weight. Ribs are just as easy & seem more popular with my guests.
    Didn’t weigh it to be honest or take notice of the label, just a supermarket Pork Shoulder the wife bought as part of the weekly shop. Certainly not some man vs food monster.

There are a few low and slow versus fast and high ideas on the interweb…I went with what I thought would work best.

120-130c BBQ temp from midday to 17.30. About three and a half hours the meat then stalled for a while at about 72c ish internally. I could have left it to push through but, trying to keep to around a six hour total, I wrapped in foil for just under an hour and then let loose again unwrapped. Came up to 90c quickly and stabilised.

Rested for said 30mins, it pulled perfectly. Had decent bark etc.

I am new to this, so still experimenting with meats, cuts of meat, times and temperatures. All good fun though. I’d have never taken on a Tomahawk with a normal gas BBQ, but glad I did with this egg style.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral View Post
    Didn’t weigh it to be honest or take notice of the label, just a supermarket Pork Shoulder the wife bought as part of the weekly shop. Certainly not some man vs food monster.

There are a few low and slow versus fast and high ideas on the interweb…I went with what I thought would work best.

120-130c BBQ temp from midday to 17.30. About three and a half hours the meat then stalled for a while at about 72c ish internally. I could have left it to push through but, trying to keep to around a six hour total, I wrapped in foil for just under an hour and then let loose again unwrapped. Came up to 90c quickly and stabilised.

Rested for said 30mins, it pulled perfectly. Had decent bark etc.

I am new to this, so still experimenting with meats, cuts of meat, times and temperatures. All good fun though. I’d have never taken on a Tomahawk with a normal gas BBQ, but glad I did with this egg style.
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I always use Costco pork shoulders, about 3kg and takes around 10-12hrs at 225F (Always use F for BBQ as been cooking for about 13 years & all sites for info back then were US based). I have yet to try the fast & high, but with the second reference to it here I may have to give it a go at some point.

I still hate the stall, drives me insane despite understanding why & what is happening! Did you find it dropped in temp when you removed the foil and the meat starts to sweat again & cools itself? Managed that on a brisket, and had no idea if I could count as 'hitting temp' as a result. Still yet to master brisket properly.

Tomahawk on gas would be a challenge for sure. I am trying to cook more things on the egg, using it as an outside oven when I can; with an XL and a Mini I have a good flex on temperatures, but still not done a full roast dinner yet - potatoes got the indoor oven as otherwise I feel I am running from one side of the house to the other to keep an eye on everything.

Did not really notice a drop in temp after removing the foil, but I was at 120-130c / 250f area.

I think a bigger piece of meat, as per the size you refer to, could be a challenge to cook properly at a higher temp. My ‘a bit high and a bit faster’ worked well….this time.

Ribs next, albeit the wife has bought individuals as opposed to a rack. I think I’ll do those in an iron pot to start.

Brisket is then on the agenda. Small joints bought from a supermarket I think will end up as a walnut…so I think some practice is required before splashing out on a more expensive bit of meat.

100% will do another Tomahawk or similar.

It is quite addictive, this egg thing.

Master
    Yes, think you might be correct on the higher meat weights as risk still being under in the centre.

Never tried individual ribs, but assuming spares? I'd smoke them first and then finish in a dutch oven with some moisture to finish prior to saucing & finishing on the grill. Time wise, I am not sure how close to the standard times you would be, as you are not massively increasing the surface area - be interesting to see how you get on & if the membrane was removed prior to them being cut, as that will be a right bugger!

Supermarket brisket has been as you suggest! Apparently Morrisons is the place to go early and the butcher will cut it as you want before it is rolled. Still not got the fat of our US grain fed cousins have. There is a FB group on lean brisket for the UK market, suggests smoking and then braising effectively. Still need to master the rub on brisket, it is perfect on short ribs but tastes far too much of pepper when used on a brisket, despite being the same recipe and batch...confused on that one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Free delivery on the Aldi eggs, mini now in stock too.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-mi...10257597550500

Tonight’s dinner

Tonight’s dinner

I hope you got them on nice and early. They look good.

I’ll have a lamb shoulder on the Joe tomorrow, I’ve not used it much yet this year.

It stayed there for 7 hours. You can tell the inside of the egg is significantly darker now. I am almost down 30 Kg of charcoal, and the egg is rather frugal…

It stayed there for 7 hours. You can tell the inside of the egg is significantly darker now. I am almost down 30 Kg of charcoal, and the egg is rather frugal…
    I can only imagine how delicious it was.

If you have a https://www.jjfoodservice.com/ near you, you can severely up the cost of your charcoal habit.
    Last edited by junglebert; 4th June 2022 at 21:42.

Master

My XL egg is very dark, the MM less so but has not had the levels of smoking on it as 1yr old vs 6.

3.5kg pork shoulder took AGES vs the 2.5kg I usually cook. and there were 2 of them - 2 stalls and literally smoker to rest & then pulled at what felt like 2 days of cooking lol.

Was pizzas last night & therefore all go until finished, lighting the egg and then meat prep and on at 10pm. Finally ready 7pm, so very glad I dod not try to cook from this morning!

This was early afternoon and were still about 30F off temp.

If you have a https://www.jjfoodservice.com/ near you, you can severely up the cost of your charcoal habit.
    I just had a look. Near me, no but within reasonable distance yes, in Sidcup. I could do that when I get my daughter from her boarding.
    It needs further exploring (and space clearing in the freezer) but that could be a costly tip, even if my man maths tells me I’ll save money

I just had a look. Near me, no but within reasonable distance yes, in Sidcup. I could do that when I get my daughter from her boarding.
    It needs further exploring (and space clearing in the freezer) but that could be a costly tip, even if my man maths tells me I’ll save money
    I made a typo in the original post, their Big K charcoal is ridiculously cheap, it’s all I use now. I don’t buy meat there, just the charcoal.

I made a typo in the original post, their Big K charcoal is ridiculously cheap, it’s all I use now. I don’t buy meat there, just the charcoal.
    Gotcha. Did you try the meat and found it lacking, or do you have a local supply if I may ask?

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Not sure if this is any good but I thought I’d post it here as a heads up for anyone possibly looking. Deal I spotted on Groupon.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/browse/man...coal-bbq-grill

Like I say, I dont know if its a good make or good price, but I’m sure someone may know if they are any good.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    1.4kg Tomahawk steak & salad tonight.
    Salt & pepper seasoning, cooked reverse sear method.
    1hr 15mins @ 300f
    Removed to rest whilst jacking the temp up to 550f, 2 mins sear each side. Lovely crispy exterior, but just a tad overcooked on the inside, probably reduce the cooking time by 15mins next time.
    Still not to shabby for a first time tomahawk cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    1hr 15mins @ 300f
    Removed to rest whilst jacking the temp up to 550f, 2 mins sear each side. Lovely crispy exterior, but just a tad overcooked on the inside, probably reduce the cooking time by 15mins next time.

]
    Definitely a case of cook to temp not time, looks good though.

Master
    Great effort - I had a lazy bbq at about 10am on the minimax; chicken & chorizo kebab for a snack!

Master
    My friend from uni just posted a photo of his new bbq on Facebook. I then read the comments & in response to ‘is it gas?’ He replied ‘worse’

I have now worked out that it is a George Foreman electric bbq. He is dead to me!

Master
    Blog Entries

Perfect BBQ weather this. Last nights treat.

Also Lidl have bbq grill pans and roasting dishes in the center aisle.
    Last edited by Middo; 18th June 2022 at 02:14.

Definitely a case of cook to temp not time, looks good though.
    ^^^ 100%

I bought this of Amazon, a game changer for smoking, bbq, reverse sear, roasts etc. one of the best £25 I have spent.

Inkbird IBT-2X Bluetooth Cooking... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WGMDS...p_mob_ap_share

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Perfect BBQ weather this. Last nights treat.

Also Lidl have bbq grill pans and roasting dishes in the center aisle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    1hr 15mins @ 300f

Both look great!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks tango. I’m very lucky to have two excellent butchers in the area. The above was from Taylor’s farm shop( there is a fish man that has a trailer there too) plus we have butcher Farrells meat emporium too.

Great fun though this Kamado lark, slippery slope though. I suddenly need an ash basket and Meater probe.