closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    It looks as if the ceramic fire boxes are the weak parts. If I bought the WG and for whatever reason I couldn’t source a new one, would I in theory be able to use a KJ or generic one? Or do the need to fit perfectly?
    My firebox is fine still. I use a stainless steel charcoal/ash basket too, so any crack or damage to the firebox means I'm not likely to have any issues anyway

There is room for airgaps and lifting the firebox out, so a similar sized firebox will be fine as a replacement if you felt the need for it.

Just bought the KJ Classic 2 from here https://www.bbqs2u.co.uk/kamado-joe-...i-kj23rhc.html

Been toying with the idea for a couple of years but with no holiday booked this year thought why not?

Craftsman
    Have made a garlic, mint and rosemary rub for the lamb, currently in the fridge and have just lit the XL egg to cook shortly.

Will add a root veg roast to it half way through the cook and hopefully take some photos. First time using the XL on a longer cook so be interesting to see how it gets on. Also have a large egg but the XL base is enormous, easily swallows a large bag of coals.

Bit of lamb on the Mastebuilt today..2nd Bbq of the year.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Heads up for anyone looking for a grill expander for the junior, the Monolith Junior expander fits perfectly.

https://www.fireflybbq.co.uk/product...ond_level_grid

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Interesting, that should fit in my Minimax in theory then as well.

You couldn’t measure the dome height from the grill for me could you? Will know for sure then.

Minimax is arriving Saturday, still not worked out whether to cut a hole in the table as will both be off centre & think this will annoy me.

That said, if I don’t then the grill might be too high sat on the table. Decisions, perhaps I should have bought the nest for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is 18cm from grid level to the top of the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Interesting, that should fit in my Minimax in theory then as well.

You couldn’t measure the dome height from the grill for me could you? Will know for sure then.

Minimax is arriving Saturday, still not worked out whether to cut a hole in the table as will both be off centre & think this will annoy me.

That said, if I don’t then the grill might be too high sat on the table. Decisions, perhaps I should have bought the nest for it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    It is 18cm from grid level to the top of the dome.
    Great thank you

Craftsman
    I'm planning on buying a KJ in the next few weeks.

What's the thinking on cooking both meat on fish on it? I would like to use it to both grill and smoke meat and fish (not at the same time!), but clearly I don't want my steaks tasting like mackerel! Is it okay to do both provided there's a good clean done in between cooks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post

What's the thinking on cooking both meat on fish on it? I would like to use it to both grill and smoke meat and fish (not at the same time!), but clearly I don't want my steaks tasting like mackerel! Is it okay to do both provided there's a good clean done in between cooks?
    Used to be loads of commentary using WSM about this, but as you say a hot cook between them & never noticed any fish scent or taste. Gets too hot for anything to survive vs the WSM that was designed to run cool.

Have a look at the hot smoked salmon on amazing ribs website, a firm favourite of ours and guests (when they were a thing!).

Also used to cook pork butt, rest in cooler while smoking the fish, then a hot burn to clean. Worked perfectly.

Craftsman
    Used to be loads of commentary using WSM about this, but as you say a hot cook between them & never noticed any fish scent or taste. Gets too hot for anything to survive vs the WSM that was designed to run cool.

Have a look at the hot smoked salmon on amazing ribs website, a firm favourite of ours and guests (when they were a thing!).

Also used to cook pork butt, rest in cooler while smoking the fish, then a hot burn to clean. Worked perfectly.

Great info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post

I use my BGE for everything, fish and meat and never had an issue at all. The wife hates fish so I’d be the first to know about it if her food tasted of fish.

I did this the other day

And then followed it up the next day with a couple of Tomahawks

Admittedly I did the trout on a plank but I’ve done fish straight on the grill previously without any issues.

Malc

Master
    Malc,

Interesting, never seen bacon & fish together.

Also I’ve always got a drip pan on my plate setter, notice your dripping straight onto it. Does it still all burn off after?

Admittedly I’m usually low n slow when the plate setter is in, and the amount of fat from a few pork butts would not be pleasant.

What gloves do you have to lift the plate setter out when hot? And where the hell do you put it. I can see my minimax one being easy, but the one in the XL is pretty large.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    I use my BGE for everything, fish and meat and never had an issue at all. The wife hates fish so I’d be the first to know about it if her food tasted of fish.

I did this the other day

And then followed it up the next day with a couple of Tomahawks

Admittedly I did the trout on a plank but I’ve done fish straight on the grill previously without any issues.

Malc

Those tomahawks look superb, Malc.

As Hancock would say, “good job”.

Sent using Tapatalk. Excuse the lack of apostrophes.

Malc,

Interesting, never seen bacon & fish together.

Also I’ve always got a drip pan on my plate setter, notice your dripping straight onto it. Does it still all burn off after?

Admittedly I’m usually low n slow when the plate setter is in, and the amount of fat from a few pork butts would not be pleasant.

What gloves do you have to lift the plate setter out when hot? And where the hell do you put it. I can see my minimax one being easy, but the one in the XL is pretty large.

Thanks

The bacon bit was something a friend told me to do, just adds a different flavour to it.

I usually have a disposable drip pan underneath but I’d run out so just did it, burns off quite easily.

Do a lot of low and slows as well but have been battering it past few weeks doing all sorts of different bits. Used it as a tandoor oven the week before

I love it, think it’s the best thing I’ve bought in years.

To lift the plate setter out, it’s usually in the eggspander kit so can just lift it out, or if it’s not, I use an old pair of oven gloves or a set of thick pizza oven gloves. Try to forward plan where I’m putting it down, usually on a grill plate that’s just off the floor or on the table. The Minimax is bit easier as it’s not as heavy.

Malc

Master
    Thanks.

I have the skewers on my wish list for next purchase, along with minimax cast iron grill, some form of skillet & the letz-q for the XL.

I don’t have an expander system, made my own extra grill for the XL. Love the Woo Ring for the MM, but they don’t ship to the U.K. & can’t find a source.

Thanks.

I have the skewers on my wish list for next purchase, along with minimax cast iron grill, some form of skillet & the letz-q for the XL.

I don’t have an expander system, made my own extra grill for the XL. Love the Woo Ring for the MM, but they don’t ship to the U.K. & can’t find a source.

Letz-q is brilliant, well worth the money.

I’ve had a couple of bits from the US and just had them shipped using MyUs, definitely worth a look. Really seamless and well useful for getting stuff from America.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Letz-q is brilliant, well worth the money.

I’ve had a couple of bits from the US and just had them shipped using MyUs, definitely worth a look. Really seamless and well useful for getting stuff from America.

Hadn’t heard of them, will have a look - thanks!

Master
    Well it has arrived & been built.

Never to be this white again after the initial burn.

Annoyingly the handle has a dent

Need to be careful opening it as been used to the weight of an XL!!

Master
    Oh and a wonky logo FFS

Master

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

I ended up with Wild Goose in the end, although don’t ask me how. Overall I’’m very happy, it seems solidly built and comes with plenty of accessories.

Master

Oh and a wonky logo FFS

Could you ask for replacement parts? After a few cooks you’ll probably notice it less anyway. Nice set up though.

Master
    Could you ask for replacement parts?
    I will be, as for the price that level of quality is terrible.

I ended up with Wild Goose in the end, although don’t ask me how. Overall I’’m very happy, it seems solidly built and comes with plenty of accessories.

]
    Good news, it’s a lot of fun cooking on a kamado isn’t it :)

Master
    Could you ask for replacement parts? After a few cooks you’ll probably notice it less anyway. Nice set up though.
    After BGE told JLP that it was not structural & would not be replaced, social media posts every time they posted a minimax with a straight logo got me a call from BGE where they will replace with a straight one...if I stop playing silly buggers on their posts, fair enough!

Master
    After BGE told JLP that it was not structural & would not be replaced, social media posts every time they posted a minimax with a straight logo got me a call from BGE where they will replace with a straight one...if I stop playing silly buggers on their posts, fair enough!

Good end result, even if the journey wasn’t straight forward. How do you find the convenience of having the minimal as well?

Master
    Lighting the minimax is so much quicker for a quick hot cook, still getting used to timing, but clearly a role for each in the set up.

Price drop on the Joe junior at Amazon, if anyone is looking.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tootltron....m46890.l49286

Purchased one of these to light them with. Much cheaper than the branded ones, and given relatively short life decided to try a cheap one.

There are some amazing lighting guns / sous vide guns in the US but about Ł150 to light it / sear steaks post SV seemed a little excessive.

Master
    Head up that Costco had the LG ones in today, we’ve had ours a year now and it’s been well used most weekends over that time especially given lockdown etc no issues at all I’ve really enjoyed it

Should have foiled a little earlier, but not bad!

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master
    Nightmare on the XL last night for dinner.

Lamb shoulder 1.5kg put on 1pm at 250F, aiming to pull it at 203F.

Only the second time I’ve done it & happened both times. HUGE stall at about 160F, lasted hours, even wrapping it in butchers paper didn’t help, so pushed the temp up to push through.

Had to remove early as was now after 8pm. Confused as to why the lamb seems to take longer for me than any recipe suggests. Pork is so much easier, have that dialled in perfectly.

Matt

Master
    Thought this might amuse..it’s the new Green Egg BBQ pit on the south bank.

If you see the benches by the river they all have a BBQ unit.

Pricing was a bit of a surprise.

Master

Master

Master
    Tonight was Aubergine, Peppers, smoked sausage, Bacon, Sea Bream and a chicken we’ll make into a curry tomorrow.

Craftsman
    I bought a Wild Goose kamado on offer at a garden place a couple of years ago and absolutely love it. We regularly do pizzas, spatchcocked chickens and had a lovely pork shoulder last weekend. I can honestly say it is one of the beat things I have ever bought.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Master
    Aldi have the mini Kamado in stock for 80 quid in case anyone’s interested. It doesn’t appear to have a heat deflector but still great value

Master
    There is a chap on FB making stainless heat deflectors for them if required, or equally a teracotta plant pot tray will also work.

Well I've just joined the BGE club after taking delivery of a surprise early 50th birthday present. Egg-citing!

Wondering what to try cooking first. Can anyone recommend some tasty foolproof recipes to get started?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Well I've just joined the BGE club after taking delivery of a surprise early 50th birthday present. Egg-citing!

Wondering what to try cooking first. Can anyone recommend some tasty foolproof recipes to get started?
    Whole roast chicken, easiest thing ever, and utterly brilliant.

Great present BTW, happy 50th.

Master
    Second the roast chicken suggestion. They come out amazing. Great present to receive.

I found out today that a Kamado Joe Classic base makes the ideal base to bring a Kamado Joe JR up to the right cooking height.
    Which was lucky as I’d already bought it :)

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I found out today that a Kamado Joe Classic base makes the ideal base to bring a Kamado Joe JR up to the right cooking height.
    Which was lucky as I’d already bought it :)

Nice set up. Same bin for my big block charcoal I see.

A question for the Eggheads please:

BGE state that you should not cook at high temperatures on first use:

"This may damage the gasket before the adhesives can cure. Keep the temperature on your first few cooks under 350°F / 177°C to allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and adhere to the EGG."

This makes sense, but how many low and slow cooks do I need to do before it's safe to crank up the heat?

(The chicken tastes superb by the way).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    A question for the Eggheads please:

BGE state that you should not cook at high temperatures on first use:

"This may damage the gasket before the adhesives can cure. Keep the temperature on your first few cooks under 350°F / 177°C to allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and adhere to the EGG."

This makes sense, but how many low and slow cooks do I need to do before it's safe to crank up the heat?

(The chicken tastes superb by the way).
    First cook is all it takes, then the gaskets are sorted, good to go from now on.

How did you cook your chicken? Tried a spatchcock recently, but preferred the vertical roast option....plus I don't have to crack the chicken brutally!

Did you find the temperature easy enough to control? The new vent set up on my minimax is much easier than the daisy wheel I have on the XL - great step forward.

Friend of mine showed mw his first cook on minimax, charcoal up to the gasket, flames roaring all over it.....I did suggest RTFM, but he is wealthy enough to not worry about such things.

First cook is all it takes, then the gaskets are sorted, good to go from now on.

How did you cook your chicken? Tried a spatchcock recently, but preferred the vertical roast option....plus I don't have to crack the chicken brutally!
    Get yourself some decent poultry shears and it’s easy, spatchcock is by far my favourite and most consistent way to cook chicken.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Get yourself some decent poultry shears and it’s easy, spatchcock is by far my favourite and most consistent way to cook chicken.
    It is interesting, cutting was not an issue with my current scissors, but really hated the noise when I broke the breast.

For some reason, it took longer than my vertical roast version, skin wasn't as good & I don't get it! Was a large sized chicken, nothing special; but has put me off trying again.

It is interesting, cutting was not an issue with my current scissors, but really hated the noise when I broke the breast.

For some reason, it took longer than my vertical roast version, skin wasn't as good & I don't get it! Was a large sized chicken, nothing special; but has put me off trying again.
    There are too many variables to know why that happened, but for me it’s the quickest way, so keeps it nice and juicy, and the skin is as crispy as it gets.

Thanks, that's good to know!

I used a Weber vertical roaster that I already had - worked great and the water in the base kept things moist. Only downside is the steam meant no crispy skin.

https://www.riversidegardencentre.co...%20Accessories