closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Plucked up the courage to spend a small fortune on a large set up. Rather blown away by these awesome bits of kit. Justified the cost based on the fact we cook outdoors currently with a Weber all year round, including Christmas!

Mine arrives this week, but in the meantime any tips and tricks would be much appreciated in preparation for its arrival.

Stock photo

Last edited by Chinnock; 21st July 2019 at 19:26.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Journeyman
    While I don't have a Big Green Egg I bought a Louisiana Grill kamado from Costco a few weeks back and will watch this thread for any useful tips. I also have a Weber and its used pretty regularly but wanted something a bit easier to use for briskets / slow cooks as I found Weber a bit too much work to keep going.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osmononame View Post
    While I don't have a Big Green Egg I bought a Louisiana Grill kamado from Costco a few weeks back and will watch this thread for any useful tips. I also have a Weber and its used pretty regularly but wanted something a bit easier to use for briskets / slow cooks as I found Weber a bit too much work to keep going.
    Fastest way to get a weber going is a weber chimney. Appx £20 . Takes appx 10 mins from fresh coals to glowing orbs!

I’m thinking of going for the Kamado Joe.

I prefer the look of the Green Egg, but the Kamado Joes are a bit less expensive ( still not cheap mind)

I used to have one. Used it 4 times then the ex took it along with the house in the divorce. I used to start it with a mapp gas torch. Doesn't take long and no firelighting fluid

Master
    I have one and absolutely love it. Into our 4th summer with it now and use it all year round.

Buy good lumpwood charcoal, no shitty fire-lighters (natural starters only), and get a thermapen if you don’t have one already.

The Pitt Cue book is a great place to start, plus tonnes of info online in bbq forums etc and on instagram and Twitter.

Have fun!

I got one about 2 months ago and haven’t been off it yet.

Have used it for traditional bbq, smoking, roasting and slow cooking and results are great every time.

Like been said, plenty of info online and videos on YouTube.

Best tip so far was putting a small tray of water under the grill when doing any long, slow cooking to keep it moist.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    We use ours all year round, it's in a custom built shed so is under cover.

We don't have a remote temperature controller (yet) but a wifi temp monitor is very useful if doing low & slow cooks.

Don't think it's just for more exciting bbq food, we use it for bacon & eggs in the morning, plain old burgers/sausages as well as the more involved stuff, everything tastes better from an egg.

Use only good quality lumpwood & light it with a hot air gun not any of the fire lighter blocks or liquids.

The egg will get up to high temp v quickly if you leave all vents open but it takes much longer to cool so be wary if you need a low cooking temp.

A Kick Ash basket is a useful mod that makes cleaning much quicker.

Search BGE on youtube, there are plenty of yummy ideas on there.

Enjoy!

Also has a massive catalogue of stuff you can buy to go with it.

Possibly has one of the most blokey gadgets I’ve seen. The eggniter has a torch flame to light the charcoal, and then switches to a vacuum to fan the flames. And as if setting fire to stuff isn’t enough, underneath is a bottle opener. Worth buying the egg just for that..

Malc

Craftsman
    There's a very long thread on Big Green Eggs and other smokers/BBQ on a football forum that I use, plenty of tips and advice to be found (apologies to anyone unfortunate enough not to be a supporter of the red and blue army):

https://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=255442

Master
    By way of recommendations, I use charcoal from here:

https://www.oxfordcharcoal.co.uk

... and chunks / chips from here:

https://www.smokewoodshack.com/

Thanks for all the info gents. Fingers crossed mine arrives today!

Been watching lots of YouTube videos (like you do). Can’t wait.

They make them just up the road to me, and seem to appear at every country fair and show this time of year. I’ve never seen anyone actually buy one, so it’s nice to come across a few owners on this forum! - I haven’t used my Weber in about 2 years, can’t stand the stench of barbecue smoke, isn’t that what kitchens are for?!?

Master
    Cooking off mine religiously for 3 years all weathers. I have an awning that comes out over the side area where the egg lives; the egg is fine, it’s to keep me dry!

Do a few low temp cooks first, don’t go rushing in at pizza temps to let it all set properly.

I found www.amazingribs.com a useful resource when I started out for recipes. Also the science behind why etc. I’ve been doing low n slow for over a decade now, started on a Weber kettle then a WSM before the egg.

Great bits of kit but my XL does take a lot to light as a bbq grill, so use a smaller basket inside to facilitate that. Still have a Weber gas for weeknight quick cooks.

I’m running wireless temp probes and a forced air kit to control temps, does not really need them but more relaxing overnight knowing you get woken up if too hot or too cold!

Good luck with it.

Craftsman
    Kamado Joe owner here, been using mine all year since last June. Had a couple of Webers for 30 years before that, I was in the camp of how could a Kamado be any better than a Weber. Well I wish I had bought mine years ago. Looked at the Green Egg vs Kamado Joe, Joe won out on the bits you get with it and its flexible cooking system. My mate has a Green Egg, both great grills, but I would say Kamado Joe have moved the concept forward, where as Green Egg are basically the same as they always have been. Enjoy, loads of recipes online.

Built today, Christened tonight!

Getting up to temp.

Nearly there

Mid searing

After resting for 10 mins with a garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil marinade.

Fantastic!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    We BBQ a lot all year round as I like to cook outdoors. We also use an Ooni for pizzas and are currently thinking of changing to a Roccbox with gas.

I’ve been interested in an Egg for some time too. Is the performance/output of heat really that different than say a Weber?

Quote Originally Posted by bobbubka View Post
    We BBQ a lot all year round as I like to cook outdoors. We also use an Ooni for pizzas and are currently thinking of changing to a Roccbox with gas.

I’ve been interested in an Egg for some time too. Is the performance/output of heat really that different than say a Weber?

It’s the retention of heat and control that makes it so versatile. After being a Weber fanatic this Egg has blown any reservations I may have had totally away. It’s awesome (so far).

Looking forward to low n slow, which I believe is this baby’s forte.

Master
    Nice work, Chinnock

If you are on Instagram I recommend following @artustbbq @manmeatbbq @craigtabor @grillin_with_dad and many more for ideas, recipes, links etc.

With those steaks, try a reverse sear. Slow over plate setter until temp probe shows c120F, then sit whilst you fire-up the coals to *nuke* with iron grill on, sear the bejeezus out of both sides, ref again, slice and enjoy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    It’s the retention of heat and control that makes it so versatile. After being a Weber fanatic this Egg has blown any reservations I may have had totally away. It’s awesome (so far).

Looking forward to low n slow, which I believe is this baby’s forte.
    Pork shoulder, boneless, dry-rubbed with Pitt Cue house rub, slow smoked at about 130 for 8-9hrs (spritz with apple juice if it looks too dry), then pull, mix-up with home made bbq sauce and slip into a warmed brioche bun and with spicy slaw. With Mac n cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Pork shoulder, boneless, dry-rubbed with Pitt Cue house rub, slow smoked at about 130 for 8-9hrs (spritz with apple juice if it looks too dry), then pull, mix-up with home made bbq sauce and slip into a warmed brioche bun and with spicy slaw. With Mac n cheese.
    I’m a believer, and salivating! Having just started a carnivore diet, my summer is looking perfect!

Master
    If you’re doing pulled pork, cook to temp & not time. You risk having pork that just gone through the stall otherwise & collagens won’t have broken down.

I often find I let my boneless shoulder at 3kg go for 12hrs at 225-250F. I find a lower temp for longer gets a better result. 130C is 266F at which point my temp alarms are triggering.

I need to start grilling more on mine. It’s either a smoker or a pizza oven. Rarely use it for grilled stuff, but just ordered some fire bricks to limit the size of cooking area (got an XL) & sometimes lighting all the charcoal takes too long.

Can see grilled meat anywhere.. Here’s tonight’s new effort. Baked new potatoes with onion, leek and paprika butter.

Malc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    If you’re doing pulled pork, cook to temp & not time. You risk having pork that just gone through the stall otherwise & collagens won’t have broken down.

I often find I let my boneless shoulder at 3kg go for 12hrs at 225-250F. I find a lower temp for longer gets a better result. 130C is 266F at which point my temp alarms are triggering.
    ^^ This ^^

A thermapen is a really useful bit of kit for this, and a digital probe (I have an iDevices / Weber iGrill) so you can see it stall and then come back up again.

That said, I’ve done enough now that whilst temp and time are useful indicators, “feel” has become my signal for when it’s ready. You just get to know.

Craftsman
    Nice work, Chinnock

If you are on Instagram I recommend following @artustbbq @manmeatbbq @craigtabor @grillin_with_dad and many more for ideas, recipes, links etc.

With those steaks, try a reverse sear. Slow over plate setter until temp probe shows c120F, then sit whilst you fire-up the coals to *nuke* with iron grill on, sear the bejeezus out of both sides, ref again, slice and enjoy
    A trick with reverse searing if you like your steaks rare but with a good sear is to pull them at 115f internal, then leave them longer on the hot grill to get that lovely cross hatch finish without overcooking them.

Why have I clicked on this thread! Another hobby that looks really interesting, gets expensive but at least you get to eat the hard work..

Think my gas Jamie Oliver BBQ will have to step up to compete with some of what’s being cooked up here..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Why have I clicked on this thread! Another hobby that looks really interesting, gets expensive but at least you get to eat the hard work..

Think my gas Jamie Oliver BBQ will have to step up to compete with some of what’s being cooked up here..
    This forum is such a bad influence…. I’m just not organised enough to cook a day in advance though, so, will keep my money in my pocket for the time being…!

Blog Entries
    Fancy one of these but it's not quite the right time as I finish up some garden work. Do these normally go on sale after the summer?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB687 View Post
    A trick with reverse searing if you like your steaks rare but with a good sear is to pull them at 115f internal, then leave them longer on the hot grill to get that lovely cross hatch finish without overcooking them.
    I shall try 115 next time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

You might be surprised at what you can achieve with a bit of prep, some good recipes and a bit of time. A smoker box is a useful addition for a gas bbq if you don’t want to go the whole hog of a BGE, KJ etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Fancy one of these but it's not quite the right time as I finish up some garden work. Do these normally go on sale after the summer?
    Never seen them discounted myself. If you want to try smoking and slow cooking but for a bit less, look at Traeger and ProQ.

Master
    Costco sometimes have an equivalent if you have one near you.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-Patio/Barbecues-and-Firepits/Charcoal-Wood-Barbecues/Louisiana-Grills-24-60-cm-Ceramic-Kamado-Charcoal-Barbecue-In-2-Colours/p/louisianakamadogrill

Blog Entries
    Great thanks both

Aldi do one at reasonable cost - not sure what the quality is like, but the reviews look decent.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/kamado-bbq-%2...11107254798500

Craftsman
    Finally bought a large BGE last year and it's been used all year round!

Make sure you get the warranty registered before the serial numbers are covered in thick ash.

Very jealous of your table set up!

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Beer can chicken last night

Followed by this;

Last edited by Chinnock; 4th August 2019 at 09:53.

Master
    Love the way you went all in with 2 beercan holders!

Love the way you went all in with 2 beercan holders!

If in doubt, go large!

Can’t stop bloody using it...

Master
    I find I’m using it more as a smoker, pizza oven & oven vs a grill. Need to get some fire bricks to make a smaller bbq area, keep getting very hot hands when I use it as a grill.

Looking at a cold smoke generator for cheese and fish next, plus a kick ash basket and ash hoover to make the clean up easier

I’ve seen a post using tandoor skewers inserted through where the cap would usually be, like a great idea.

I’m assuming you have the new cap vs the old school daisy wheel? That’s next on my list.

I find I’m using it more as a smoker, pizza oven & oven vs a grill. Need to get some fire bricks to make a smaller bbq area, keep getting very hot hands when I use it as a grill.

Looking at a cold smoke generator for cheese and fish next, plus a kick ash basket and ash hoover to make the clean up easier

I’ve seen a post using tandoor skewers inserted through where the cap would usually be, like a great idea.

I’m assuming you have the new cap vs the old school daisy wheel? That’s next on my list.

New cap does help simplify control when looking at older YouTube videos.

Master
    Thread resurrection

Has anyone tried the Costco Louisiana grill kamado? I really fancy trying an egg type grill but I’m not sure I can justify an egg or KJ as I’m unsure how much use it will get. It’s mainly low and slow ribs and joints I’m interested in cooking but fresh pizzas with the kids would be fun as well. Secondly can these just be left cooking in the rain or do I need some form of gazebo etc?

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Aldi do one at reasonable cost - not sure what the quality is like, but the reviews look decent.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/kamado-bbq-%2...11107254798500
    this one is due to return in 15 days time... but is it any good compared to the real deal Big Green Egg?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Thread resurrection

Has anyone tried the Costco Louisiana grill kamado? I really fancy trying an egg type grill but I’m not sure I can justify an egg or KJ as I’m unsure how much use it will get. It’s mainly low and slow ribs and joints I’m interested in cooking but fresh pizzas with the kids would be fun as well. Secondly can these just be left cooking in the rain or do I need some form of gazebo etc?
    Not tried that one, no.

The answer to your question is “no”, you don’t need one. When I’m cooking in the rain I just use a golf umbrella to get it going and then leave it. Most of the time the daisy wheel is almost closed, and if you’re cooking with a plate-setter over the coals they won’t get wet.

If you just want to do slow cooks, look at a cheaper aluminium job like a ProQ.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    this one is due to return in 15 days time... but is it any good compared to the real deal Big Green Egg?
    Very hard to tell from those pictures, and as it’s online only you’d have to get it and assemble it before you could do a side-by-side comparison.

On face value the components look cheaper and less substantial in every respect. Any idea how much it is?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    I got the Aldi version last year... so far so good! I think it was £300 approx. Used for slow cooking and also as a regular BBQ, very happy! Big greens egg has lots of accessories but costs a significant amount more.

Not tried that one, no.

The answer to your question is “no”, you don’t need one. When I’m cooking in the rain I just use a golf umbrella to get it going and then leave it. Most of the time the daisy wheel is almost closed, and if you’re cooking with a plate-setter over the coals they won’t get wet.

If you just want to do slow cooks, look at a cheaper aluminium job like a ProQ.

BGE also do a rain cover for the top of the egg to stop any rain getting in. Having said that, the top is not open much if doing a low and slow cook

Malc

Master
    Thanks guys I’ll keep doing the research until I convince myself to buy the KJ one that’s really caught my eye lol.
    the Costco one is around £600 so almost half price hence the question, it seems to get fair reviews and from the looks of it uses decent quality materials .

Blog Entries
    The Aldi one was £350 last year, but there are many online stories of cracks in the ceramic on a fair chunk of the batches sent out last year so QC did not seem to be that great. They are made by La Hacienda.

Edit: I've ordered one of these, but pending delivery: https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/p...-kamado-grill/

From my research its a rebadged Kamado Joe and can therefore take OEM KJ accessories.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 15th April 2020 at 20:54.

Master
    The Aldi one was £350 last year, but there are many online stories of cracks in the ceramic on a fair chunk of the batches sent out last year so QC did not seem to be that great. They are made by La Hacienda.
    On this point, on anything like this be sure you can get spares. I’ve had my Egg for 6 years this summer. It’s now due a strip down by me and a re-alignment of the lid and hinge assembly, but I don’t expect it to need more than a bit of oil and some new seals. I clumsily dropped the sniffer last year but thankfully BGE supply replacements for every component of needed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Thanks guys I’ll keep doing the research until I convince myself to buy the KJ one that’s really caught my eye lol.
    the Costco one is around £600 so almost half price hence the question, it seems to get fair reviews and from the looks of it uses decent quality materials .
    I looked at the Costco one and the BGE and KJ. Went with the KJ in the end, for the same price as the BGE you get more features split level cooking, direct and indirect at the same time, easy clean ash tray, airlift hinge (on the KJ2 +) also excellent accessory range and warranty support is great. I broke one of the heat deflectors emailed them and they sent a replacement no questions asked. Ive had it 3 years, and still use it regularly - any meat coming off it is so moist its night and day to a gas BBQ. Glad I spent the extra vs the costco one.