closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Love my egg, it’s so versatile.

One of my favourite meals is salted sea bass, so just had a go at doing it on the egg and it turned out so good. Maybe a little pic heavy but it was so worth it.

On the versatility, last night, I used it as a standard bbq for burgers and chicken. Tonight, salted sea bass, and tomorrow I’m doing a 9/10 hour low n slow brisket. Just a top bit of kit.

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Always wanted to try salted bass, but always think the expense of the salt is such a waste!

Birthday earlier this month, so received my new skewers to tandoor. First attempt earlier in the week & very impressed.

My tandoor mix was a little old, so lacked flavour, but the chicken was fantastic. We worked out after eating it, that by ‘old’ it was actually 6yrs old when I took a bunch of mix to Nerja as I was the designated bbq chef for 8 of us.

Anyone tried to MEATER probes? Just convinced myself to get one and I must say I’m really impressed so far!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    Anyone tried to MEATER probes? Just convinced myself to get one and I must say I’m really impressed so far!

Looking at them, although have a rather older & more simple wireless probe set up.

I did get the Weber Connect, which I don't think is as good as the Meater.

Had a Meater on my birthday list, but my wife got me a PS5, so cannot complain!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=jakesblue;5810477]Anyone tried to MEATER probes? Just convinced myself to get one and I must say I’m really impressed so far!

Had my MEATER probe for a few weeks now, brilliant bit of kit, pulled pork shoulder comes out perfect every time. I can monitor the ambient temperature of the kamado from the kitchen.

Essential piece of kit. Use it with the BGE and Aga.

Craftsman

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Had a single Meater probe for a couple of years now, and find it fantastic for ensuring, for instance, roast beef, amongst other meats, come out perfect every time.
    If using on a BBQ, or similar (I have a Weber 57cm), with a lid, I find it easier to sit a “slave” iPhone right by the BBQ, which then links via Wi-Fi to my main phone, enabling me to monitor from anywhere on the network.
    Very pricey, but worth it in my opinion, as it is truly wireless, unlike most advertised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Had a single Meater probe for a couple of years now, and find it fantastic for ensuring, for instance, roast beef, amongst other meats, come out perfect every time.
    If using on a BBQ, or similar (I have a Weber 57cm), with a lid, I find it easier to sit a “slave” iPhone right by the BBQ, which then links via Wi-Fi to my main phone, enabling me to monitor from anywhere on the network.
    Very pricey, but worth it in my opinion, as it is truly wireless, unlike most advertised.
    Assume with Meater+ the slave is no longer required?

Selling my weber connect, as want to try the meater next.

Another expensive hobby lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

I’m sure I’ve posted these before but despite the clear cost difference I think the functionality and flexibility of the fireboard temperature monitor and fan controller in a single platform and that the support up to 6 probes is hard to resist especially with the cloud based option letting monitor and be away from home.

https://www.fireboard-eu.com/shop/fireboard-2-drive/
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 9th August 2021 at 10:16. Reason: Shute - sure

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Not sure about the Meater+?
    With mine I have an old iPhone 6, with the Meater app on, connected to the home Wi-Fi, that sits next to the Weber (when the lid is on it provides quite a signal shield for the probe that is inside the bbq).
    Once I know that the iPhone is linked to the probe, and displaying both ambient temperature inside the bbq, as well as internal meat temperature, I then open the Meater app on my other phone which is also connected to the same Wi-Fi network, and it picks up the the probes temps.
    Not the most sophisticated system, but works for my needs.
    At some stage, when I feel flush, or am needing to monitor the temperature of several different items (ie beef, poultry, steaks etc) at the same time, I may invest in/ upgrade to the multi-probe unit.
    Hope this helps, and if anyone else has an alternative (cheaper and equally as effective) wireless probe system to the Meater system, please share it here!

Craftsman
    I have just joined the gang, got myself a Monolith Junior Pro 2.0. First cook was on Friday evening, I started with something straight forward, just grilled chicken that I had marinated overnight in oil, garlic, herbs chilli and lemon, it was really good.

Tomorrow I am doing some hot smoked salmon then burgers and sausages for lunch, still pretty straightforward, but I am then planning to smoke a rack of ribs low and slow.

Looking for advice on controlling the temperature of my new toy.

I had a play around with it before I cooked the chicken and I couldn't seem to keep the temperature below about 180c/350f, even with both top and bottom vents just opened by about 5mm. This was perfect for grilling chicken but won't be good for when I try and smoke ribs etc. Could it be that I loaded it up with too much charcoal? Would this prevent me from getting a consistent low temperature? From what I have seen I need to be getting to down to around 110c/225f for low and slow. Maybe I just wasn't giving to long enough to settle down once I made my adjustments?

I appreciate that the built in thermostats aren't particularly accurate, I already have a Thermapen for checking the interior temperature of whatever I am cooking, I assume that holding this close to the grill isn't great as I would need to hold the lid open thus causing the temperature to drop?

Might be worth ruling out a faulty thermometer by checking the probe accuracy in some boiling water.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    I have just joined the gang, got myself a Monolith Junior Pro 2.0. First cook was on Friday evening, I started with something straight forward, just grilled chicken that I had marinated overnight in oil, garlic, herbs chilli and lemon, it was really good.

Tomorrow I am doing some hot smoked salmon then burgers and sausages for lunch, still pretty straightforward, but I am then planning to smoke a rack of ribs low and slow.

I had a play around with it before I cooked the chicken and I couldn't seem to keep the temperature below about 180c/350f, even with both top and bottom vents just opened by about 5mm. This was perfect for grilling chicken but won't be good for when I try and smoke ribs etc. Could it be that I loaded it up with too much charcoal? Would this prevent me from getting a consistent low temperature? From what I have seen I need to be getting to down to around 110c/225f for low and slow. Maybe I just wasn't giving to long enough to settle down once I made my adjustments?

I appreciate that the built in thermostats aren't particularly accurate, I already have a Thermapen for checking the interior temperature of whatever I am cooking, I assume that holding this close to the grill isn't great as I would need to hold the lid open thus causing the temperature to drop?
    The amount of charcoal has no effect on the temps you can achieve. They take time to settle to temp, and 5mm might be 4mm to many! Buy a decent (inkbird or meater) probe and you’ll have more of an idea what’s going on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Might be worth ruling out a faulty thermometer by checking the probe accuracy in some boiling water.

Cheers, I was actually referring to the built in thermometer in the dome of the BBQ, so I don't think that will be possible. However I will try your suggestion with my Thermapen food probe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    The amount of charcoal has no effect on the temps you can achieve. They take time to settle to temp, and 5mm might be 4mm to many! Buy a decent (inkbird or meater) probe and you’ll have more of an idea what’s going on.
    Thanks, I suspect that I wasn't leaving it long enough to settle down between adjustments, will try again tomorrow and try to be more patient.

Cheers, I was actually referring to the built in thermometer in the dome of the BBQ, so I don't think that will be possible. However I will try your suggestion with my Thermapen food probe.
    The dome thermometer is usually just held in by a nut on the inside, unscrew it and you should be able to remove it.

Thanks, I suspect that I wasn't leaving it long enough to settle down between adjustments, will try again tomorrow and try to be more patient.
    If I’m setting up for a long slow cook, I’ll leave it fir 60-90 minutes before any food goes on.

Controlling the temperature is the hardest part, or at least takes more time/patience.

If I’m doing a low n slow, I’ll light the charcoal and leave it with the lid open to make sure it’s caught. Once it’s caught, close the lid with the vents open quite wide. Once it’s approaching the required temperature, I’ll put the deflector in and close the vents to restrict the air. Adding the deflector reduces the temperature and by closing the vents to a few mm on top and bottom, this gives you more control over the temperature. It’s a lot easier to bring the egg up to temperature than bring it down if you overshoot. Once you’re at the right temperature, leave the vents and just trust it.😃

Also, make sure there’s no ash blocking the airways as this can make a difference

Malc

Master
    Exactly what Malc said. Catch it on the way up & then hold it, adjusting then leaving to steady itself.

Once you are too hot, all the heat is in the ceramic and will take an age for you to get back down to a low temp.

I load my XL up fully with lump, just easier in case I want to cook something else - often I will do pork butt overnight, then ribs on at 2pm ready to serve it all for the evening.

I tend to use a wireless thermometer and forced air control for the temps when doing it overnight, but have recent started using it 'normally' to re-learn vent settings as got lazy.

Have a look at the 'meat smoke fire' website, Nic on there has a wealth of knowledge including some directional vent settings, albeit for a BGE but will point you in the right direction.

I have my bottom vent open about half a finger & the top one cracked ever so slightly when I go for low heat, but sometimes have to crack the upper one wider, especially after dropping 6kg of meat onto the grill.

Brining

I'm going to cook some pulled pork in my Big Green Egg and I want to brine it first so that it stays moist.

Does anyone have any tips on ingredients and/or technique. It'll be a 5kg pork shoulder so I assume it will need at least a 12 hour soak?

Thanks all.

Master
    Never brined one before, so interested to read up. Did get an injection kit for my birthday that I’m looking forward to trying out in the near future.

Master
    Some great inspiration on this thread! Can anyone recommend a slightly cheaper alternative to the Green Eggs? I've seen some red and blue ones - are they basically quite similar?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Some great inspiration on this thread! Can anyone recommend a slightly cheaper alternative to the Green Eggs? I've seen some red and blue ones - are they basically quite similar?
    I got the Aldi one, it works a treat and all for Ł399. If interested you can join the email list to be notified when back in stock.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-ka...10081460879600

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I got a Wild Goose from The Greenhouse People (no affiliation etc etc) and have been very pleased with it. The pricing was similar to the Aldi one, maybe a bit more

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a unused kamado joe classic 2 for sale on sales corner. Bought but never got round to using.

Blog Entries
    Notice this last month, my Wild Goose Kamado'firebox is completely split in 2:

Does anyone know, materially, is this an issue? Does this render the kamado effectively useless now, and I need to somehow find a replacement?

I purchased this last year in April from Greenhouse People. This has had normal, moderate, family use, so I'm not sure how it would have happened so soon. How long should we expect a firebox to last, and does anyone know where you would get a replacement?

I've raised in to Greenhouse People but no answer as yet, the Kamado comes with a 12 month warranty so is out of warranty, however in my mind this goes above normal wear and tear considering it was 18 months old when discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Notice this last month, my Wild Goose Kamado'firebox is completely split in 2:

Does anyone know, materially, is this an issue? Does this render the kamado effectively useless now, and I need to somehow find a replacement?

I purchased this last year in April from Greenhouse People. This has had normal, moderate, family use, so I'm not sure how it would have happened so soon. How long should we expect a firebox to last, and does anyone know where you would get a replacement?

I've raised in to Greenhouse People but no answer as yet, the Kamado comes with a 12 month warranty so is out of warranty, however in my mind this goes above normal wear and tear considering it was 18 months old when discovered.
    It’s fine, you can still use it, you can fix it with fire cement if you want. If it were a kamado joe you’d be covered, their warranty is excellent, not sure with that one. But as I said, it’s not an issue. They can break for all sorts of reasons.

While I’m no expert, I don’t think this is going to stop you using it. In the original BGE the firebox was one piece but they found it split like this after a while, subsequently lots of Kamado manufacturers made a multi piece firebox to give it space to expand and contract.

From what I understand you’ve just upgraded your firebox to the latest multi piece version and it should be fine

Blog Entries
    Ha great news! Wild Goose MKII

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Ha great news! Wild Goose MKII
    you could offer upgrades to other forum members in a similar situation for a small fee!

Master
    Also, why not use a metal fire basket as well. It’s convenient and keeps the heat away from the ceramic.

Master
    As has been said, fine to carry on using it.

You could glue it back together, but it is not required.

Great price thanks for sharing! I’ve got a monolith junior - just bought the classic 2 to go with it

Great price thanks for sharing! I’ve got a monolith junior - just bought the classic 2 to go with it

Nice! I bought the Monolith Junior ash basket and cart for my joe junior, fit perfectly

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Nice! If you’ve not tried it, the monolighter is the best purchase I’ve made. Gets the bbq going in less than a minute, no chimney starter or fire lighters needed

Nice! If you’ve not tried it, the monolighter is the best purchase I’ve made. Gets the bbq going in less than a minute, no chimney starter or fire lighters needed

Thanks! I've got a Looftlighter which looks similar.

Ah yes same thing, that and the meater bbq probes changed my bbqing!

I use the starter until the coals are all white and flame free. The monolighter does that in less than a minute, or does if just set them alight?

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I use the starter until the coals are all white and flame free. The monolighter does that in less than a minute, or does if just set them alight?
    it turns any coals it’s pointing at to being white in a minute. In my monolith I normally point it at the center coals for a minute then close the lid and leave it for about 10 minutes to bring the ceramic walls to temperature then I start cooking.

When I used a chimney starter I’d normally leave for about 15 minutes to get the coals going, unload to the Kamado and leave for 10 mins to get the ceramic to temp. So I’d say it saves me about 10 minutes or so at the start.

The other benefit I find is if I need to give one of my other bbqs a kick because they’re not running hot enough, I can get the coal going in situ rather than removing to put into a starter. Others may have had a different experience but I really rate it!

I need a bucket of white coals for my smoker and don't want flames so it's less useful for me, but seems like a really good idea for the kamado.

I also like the idea of being able to light coal for a top up. On the rare occasions I screw things up that might be handy.

Just been checking out Black Friday Kamado Joe deals. Spotted a great price on a classic 1 & 2.

https://www.bbqland.co.uk/search-by-...o-joe-bbq.html

https://www.bbqland.co.uk/search-by-...sic-i-bbq.html

Last edited by mijyou; 26th November 2021 at 12:01.

Cheers for sharing. I ended up cancelling by kamado joe 2 order and switching the the Monolith Le Chef which is on Black Friday for Ł1499 instead of around Ł2400. Arrived yesterday - it’s massive!

Nice one! Will look better with the colour matching the junior as well

Edit - just realised you can get the Monolith in black and red

Unfortunately they only had black and my junior is red It makes the junior look tiny though, I couldn’t believe the size of it when it arrived. 140kg!

Hows the kitchen build going? Plans looked great.

Hows the kitchen build going? Plans looked great.

Cheers! Going a little slow unfortunately, bricklayer had to move onto another job so not been about for the past week or so. Hopefully will get sorted next week in time for Christmas turkey on the bbq :)

Look forward to the pictures

Craftsman
    Just been checking out Black Friday Kamado Joe deals. Spotted a great price on a classic 1 & 2.

https://www.bbqland.co.uk/search-by-...o-joe-bbq.html

https://www.bbqland.co.uk/search-by-...sic-i-bbq.html

This looks a great deal. I am torn between the joe 2, a masterbuilt 800 series and the traeger 780. They are all different but as a casual bbq’er im looking for ease of use with some involvement. Lots of good reviews available online, but welcome if anyone has experience of the masterbuilt or traeger. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    This looks a great deal. I am torn between the joe 2, a masterbuilt 800 series and the traeger 780. They are all different but as a casual bbq’er im looking for ease of use with some involvement. Lots of good reviews available online, but welcome if anyone has experience of the masterbuilt or traeger. Thanks in advance.

I have no experience of pellet grills, but if you just want to set and forget that would probably be your best option. The Joe would probably give you more all round flexibility, from low and slow to a high temperature pizza cook. I believe pellet grills max out at 450f 250C. Where as the Joe can go to 800f 425C

Last edited by mijyou; 27th November 2021 at 16:08.