closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 1,101 to 1,127 of 1127

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Master
    Forgot to update with the spare ribs from Saturday evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Some cheeky tikka ahead of tonight’s curry.

Journeyman
    That looks great, can I ask what rotisserie basket that is, need one for my KJ but the official KJ one is silly money compared to the only fire ones you can get from amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ribeye View Post
    That looks great, can I ask what rotisserie basket that is, need one for my KJ but the official KJ one is silly money compared to the only fire ones you can get from amazon!

https://amzn.to/3QfFquE

Recommendation from Nic at Meat Smoke Fire.

KJ one is very expensive, agreed!

Oops! Must have forgotten to clear it out after the last cook!

And to think I was planning to do beef for Christmas Day on it; would have been a crap surprise at 6am on Christmas Day

Im planning on a nice hot burn off to rescue it, which seems to the advice; sound sensible?

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

I’d wash the grill and the chicken stand, and do the hot burn without either.
    It happens all the time when you remain a while without using your egg. It washes off easily.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I’d hot burn it with grill etc in just to save touching it more than necessary. Then wash after if you wanted, nothing will survive the temps.

I checked mine a few days before NYE as was cooking on it & had been away for a few weeks previously. I was clean, but just realise I’ve not checked the minimax.

Weber gasser always seems to be the worst post Xmas period, no idea why as use it for bacon etc through most of winter as so much better than indoor oven cooked.

I put it on a hot burn and will give the grills a wash down too; but seems to be ok.

Lighting it up made me want to cook on it though! May have to get something on next weekend

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    I put it on a hot burn and will give the grills a wash down too; but seems to be ok.

Lighting it up made me want to cook on it though! May have to get something on next weekend

Did you get the moisture coming through the outer finish? Always find it weird when that happens.

I have an awning that comes out over the egg, so it’s an all year round for me, but NYE was a monsoon and never been so miserable outside cooking.

Get on it for the weekend coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Did you get the moisture coming through the outer finish? Always find it weird when that happens.

I have an awning that comes out over the egg, so it’s an all year round for me, but NYE was a monsoon and never been so miserable outside cooking.

Get on it for the weekend coming up!

Hmmm, not that I saw, but I pretty much set it and left it.

We built a gazebo for outdoor kitchen / dining / seating last year so it is all year round in principle; but for some reason I didn’t use it much at the end of last year. This spring I’m going to finish the outdoor kitchen area so it’s more usable. At some point I’m planning to do a nice built in kitchen, but for now will just use what I have.

Since these photos I’ve added an IKEA sink unit and a water heater which I need to get plumbed in and I’ve also had some electrics installed.

Master
    I’d forgotten about that set up you have - it’s probably the size of my entire garden lol.

You’ve no excuse for not cooking outside with all that cover, time to make amends and get the season off to an early start next weekend!

I’d forgotten about that set up you have - it’s probably the size of my entire garden lol.

You’ve no excuse for not cooking outside with all that cover, time to make amends and get the season off to an early start next weekend!
    Ha, yes very true. I was using it all up until around November but the weather then made me depressed!

If nothing else I’ll start doing some weekday cooking on the gas BBQ and I’ve got some nice meat in the freezer we got as Christmas presents for the egg, so there’s plenty to be getting on with.

Does anyone have any experience with these fan temperature controllers? I’ve been looking at an Inkbird one for Ł130 from Amazon

INKBIRD WiFi Bluetooth BBQ Temperature Controller ISC-007BW with Fan,Automatic Smoker BBQ Fan Controller Grill Thermometer with 3 Probes for Big Green Egg,Kamado Joe,Primo,Vision,Akorn Kamado https://amzn.eu/d/9Xqzajz

I’m thinking it would be good for long overnight cooks so I can rest easy?

Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

Never used them; never needed to either but I suppose it may make sense in an overnight cook. I find the temperature in my egg quite stable once set and my worry would be the amount of fuel more than temperature (yes, directly related but I meant that if temperature dips by lack of fuel, the fan will not help much).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I have been using a BBQ Guru temp controller and fan for around 5 years now. Really only use it for overnight pulled pork etc. It keeps the temp rock steady for around 15 plus hours with one basket of charcoal.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Never used them; never needed to either but I suppose it may make sense in an overnight cook. I find the temperature in my egg quite stable once set and my worry would be the amount of fuel more than temperature (yes, directly related but I meant that if temperature dips by lack of fuel, the fan will not help much).

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    I have been using a BBQ Guru temp controller and fan for around 5 years now. Really only use it for overnight pulled pork etc. It keeps the temp rock steady for around 15 plus hours with one basket of charcoal.
    I’ll probably pick one up and see what it is like. I’m mainly thinking for long cooks that start late at night / early morning and would speed up the set up process. Since I’m still getting used to the egg, it takes an hour or so for me to be happy the temps are good for low and slow. And then it’s a bit hit and miss for low temps.

I don’t mind that if I’m around and about, but not so great if I want to be asleep!

Master
    I’ll probably pick one up and see what it is like. I’m mainly thinking for long cooks that start late at night / early morning and would speed up the set up process. Since I’m still getting used to the egg, it takes an hour or so for me to be happy the temps are good for low and slow. And then it’s a bit hit and miss for low temps.

I don’t mind that if I’m around and about, but not so great if I want to be asleep!
    I’ve had an IQ110 for as long as I’ve had a smoker - used it pre-egg on my WSM and I love the things as much more relaxing for a long cook.

Wireless temp probe to alert me of something goes wrong, or out! But never had an issue over the years.

I did find I used it on every cook for a period of time, so spent the effort to stop using it & learn the vents again.

Due to upgrade it soon, Chinnock - I’ve not forgotten you, just had to prioritise other things for my discretionary spend recently. Equally not worked out whether to go for the Egg one or the Fireboard one.

I’ve had an IQ110 for as long as I’ve had a smoker - used it pre-egg on my WSM and I love the things as much more relaxing for a long cook.

Wireless temp probe to alert me of something goes wrong, or out! But never had an issue over the years.

I did find I used it on every cook for a period of time, so spent the effort to stop using it & learn the vents again.

Due to upgrade it soon, Chinnock - I’ve not forgotten you, just had to prioritise other things for my discretionary spend recently. Equally not worked out whether to go for the Egg one or the Fireboard one.
    Ok, I’ll definitely pick one up. And something to do a long cook with to justify buying it in the first place

Anybody got some good veggie dishes to do in the egg? I’m thinking things like roast cauliflower, aubergines could be good. Maybe kebabs, but they would probably be easier on the gas bbq.

Master
    Ha, yes very true. I was using it all up until around November but the weather then made me depressed!

If nothing else I’ll start doing some weekday cooking on the gas BBQ and I’ve got some nice meat in the freezer we got as Christmas presents for the egg, so there’s plenty to be getting on with.

Does anyone have any experience with these fan temperature controllers? I’ve been looking at an Inkbird one for Ł130 from Amazon

INKBIRD WiFi Bluetooth BBQ Temperature Controller ISC-007BW with Fan,Automatic Smoker BBQ Fan Controller Grill Thermometer with 3 Probes for Big Green Egg,Kamado Joe,Primo,Vision,Akorn Kamado https://amzn.eu/d/9Xqzajz

I’m thinking it would be good for long overnight cooks so I can rest easy?

I have the other inkbird controller (027 I think) and it works really well. Have done a few low and slow cooks now where I have been out of the house for a few hours and it did a good job of keeping it right on the desired temperature, making small adjustments as necessary. Also does a better job at getting it to the right temperature quickly at the start of a cook without overshooting than i do.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've been using a fireboard for well over 12 months now and have to say it is an awesome bit of kit. Expensive but brilliant at controlling long cooks. I would recommend it.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I have the other inkbird controller (027 I think) and it works really well. Have done a few low and slow cooks now where I have been out of the house for a few hours and it did a good job of keeping it right on the desired temperature, making small adjustments as necessary. Also does a better job at getting it to the right temperature quickly at the start of a cook without overshooting than i do.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Sounds like exactly what I’m looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've been using a fireboard for well over 12 months now and have to say it is an awesome bit of kit. Expensive but brilliant at controlling long cooks. I would recommend it.

They look great, but probably too pricey for me right now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

That’s just what I wanted to read, thanks.

Master

Pork overnight and just added the ribs earlier.

The egg-spander is a cracking bit of kit, I have to say.

Craftsman

Pork overnight and just added the ribs earlier.

The egg-spander is a cracking bit of kit, I have to say.
    They look great so they do.

We went for the broil king keg and it almost keeps too much heat in only had it a year though. This is my year for the bbq I can feel it..lol

I use the Weber lump wood is that decent for this type of cooking seems good to me last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    They look great so they do.

We went for the broil king keg and it almost keeps too much heat in only had it a year though. This is my year for the bbq I can feel it..lol

I use the Weber lump wood is that decent for this type of cooking seems good to me last year.

Big K ACH15 is my default these days, it’s brilliant stuff.

I vary the size of fire I light depending on what I’m cooking, sometimes I get the heat carried away, but just have to roll with it; had grill temps at 240F but the dome at 300F, which saved my arse today after the pork misbehaved for waaaay to long.

Craftsman
    Big K ACH15 is my default these days, it’s brilliant stuff.

I vary the size of fire I light depending on what I’m cooking, sometimes I get the heat carried away, but just have to roll with it; had grill temps at 240F but the dome at 300F, which saved my arse today after the pork misbehaved for waaaay to long.

Nice you are a bit ahead from me I am still playing with size of fire, getting a clean burn and keeping the right temp.

I do however love the pizza in the keg total qualty but with supermarkets shutting down their bakery departments it’s getting harder to get fresh yeast I find

Master

Tikka for tonight, with a couple of escaped casualties!