closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 192 of 192

Thread: Any “Big Green Egg” (BBQ) owners?

  1. #151
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    19,644
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Yes a pizza stone can be used as a heat deflector for indirect cooking. For the lidl kamado, a 9" stone can be gotten for £10-15. You will ideally need some sort of wire rack to rest the stone on, then there will be the grate with a sufficient air gap above it.
    Thank you!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

  2. #152
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    12,496
    I've seen on a few YouTube videos that Weber's version of this, the twin steel walled Summit, is preferred by some. Does anyone have direct experience?

    https://www.weber.com/GB/en/barbecue...id=226#start=1


  3. #153
    Last year the weber was the one I was going to get, but for a steel BBQ (even double skin) it just did not feel in the same league/quality as a KJ or BGE.


    If it had been just under 1k mark I would have bought it.

    Good luck, I love one of each:)

  4. #154
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Last year the weber was the one I was going to get, but for a steel BBQ (even double skin) it just did not feel in the same league/quality as a KJ or BGE.


    If it had been just under 1k mark I would have bought it.

    Good luck, I love one of each:)
    I looked at it too, but prices for many ceramic Kamados are half the price, so no compelling argument for the Weber. At under £1k it would be viable. There are good reviews on the web for it, but nothing that makes it stand out over the competition.

  5. #155
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,807
    Agree, whilst the twin walled Weber came out after I had my BGE, it never felt quite as special when I interacted with it in a store.

  6. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thanks for the tip - tried this today, it was a hit and going to be repeated very often!
    Although next time will remember to put them on whilst we're eating, not afterwards!

    We added a sprinkle of cinnamon along with the brown sugar.
    Also had a scope of ice cream (salted caramel) with each ring. The cold vs hot was great!
    Yup, spoon of ice cream goes lovely. Not tried the cinamon but bet that is good too! We're managing a bbq every other day at the moment. Has become a bit of a habit to light it at 5 and as soon as 5:30 hits starting cooking.

    You can replace the pineapple with other things such as peaches. BBQ'd fruit with a spot of sugar and alcohol makes the summer evening evening that bit better!

  7. #157
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    71
    Just ordered mine from this place https://www.theovo.co.uk/

    Got the grey Ash colour. Delivery on Friday, hopefully.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #158
    Probably going to order a Kamado Joe Classic 2 tomorrow. Any good deals around ? Best I have found so far is from BBQ World, which includes a grate, griddle, cover and 2 bags of charcoal for around 1400.

  9. #159
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Probably going to order a Kamado Joe Classic 2 tomorrow. Any good deals around ? Best I have found so far is from BBQ World, which includes a grate, griddle, cover and 2 bags of charcoal for around 1400.
    Don’t think there are any available anywhere in the country. The only one I could find it the KJ big joe 3 and I can’t bring myself to spend £2.5k on a BBQ.

    There aren’t any Masterbuilt in the country either which is what I think I will end up going with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #160
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Don’t think there are any available anywhere in the country. The only one I could find it the KJ big joe 3 and I can’t bring myself to spend £2.5k on a BBQ.

    There aren’t any Masterbuilt in the country either which is what I think I will end up going with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Masterbuilt available here for early June delivery - https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-s...o-MCG300S.html

  11. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Don’t think there are any available anywhere in the country. The only one I could find it the KJ big joe 3 and I can’t bring myself to spend £2.5k on a BBQ.

    There aren’t any Masterbuilt in the country either which is what I think I will end up going with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you sure? We recently bought ours from here, arrived on a next day service, dispatched within 3 days of ordering:
    https://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges/ma...e-ovens-1.html

  12. #162
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Probably going to order a Kamado Joe Classic 2 tomorrow. Any good deals around ? Best I have found so far is from BBQ World, which includes a grate, griddle, cover and 2 bags of charcoal for around 1400.

    I bought my KJ 3 from BBQ Barn in Sidcup & they delivered within 48 hours and are saying end of May,early June now.

    They have a KJ2 deal here for 1499 - but if you sign up to the newsletter you get 10% off your orders:

    1x Kamado Joe Classic II in Cart
    - 1x Kamado Joe Cover
    - 1x Kamado Joe Pizza Stone  
    - 1x Kamado Joe cast iron Reversible Griddle
    - 1x Pizza Paddle
    - 2x Rubs / Salts / Sauces / Marinade (will Depend on stock)
    - 1x Quality Lump Wood Charcoal
    - 1x Eco Fire Lighters

  13. #163
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Are you sure? We recently bought ours from here, arrived on a next day service, dispatched within 3 days of ordering:
    https://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges/ma...e-ovens-1.html
    Not 100% but I will check. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #164
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Masterbuilt available here for early June delivery - https://www.bedsbbq.co.uk/barbecue-s...o-MCG300S.html



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #165
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Not 100% but I will check. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They all say pre order for July delivery, I will give them a call tomorrow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    I bought my KJ 3 from BBQ Barn in Sidcup & they delivered within 48 hours and are saying end of May,early June now.

    They have a KJ2 deal here for 1499 - but if you sign up to the newsletter you get 10% off your orders:

    1x Kamado Joe Classic II in Cart
    - 1x Kamado Joe Cover
    - 1x Kamado Joe Pizza Stone  
    - 1x Kamado Joe cast iron Reversible Griddle
    - 1x Pizza Paddle
    - 2x Rubs / Salts / Sauces / Marinade (will Depend on stock)
    - 1x Quality Lump Wood Charcoal
    - 1x Eco Fire Lighters
    Thanks for this - I cant see any reference to signing up for the newsletter to get 10%?

  17. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    They all say pre order for July delivery, I will give them a call tomorrow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are not fully open yet, so you can only leave a message.

    Email josh@birstall.com

    I dealt with him. He knocked 140 quid off the classic 2 bundle for me.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  18. #168
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    They are not fully open yet, so you can only leave a message.

    Email josh@birstall.com

    I dealt with him. He knocked 140 quid off the classic 2 bundle for me.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #169
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Thanks for this - I cant see any reference to signing up for the newsletter to get 10%?
    Hi, you're right i can't see it either - possibly suspended i guess?

    Probably worth a phone call as the guy was very straightforward to deal with, so if you say it's a referral & you thought there was 10% off he may well honour it.....
    Last edited by luckyal; 21st May 2020 at 08:43.

  20. #170
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,939
    I managed to get the Lidl version this morning, so let’s see how it works out.

  21. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    Hi, you're right i can't see it either - possibly suspended i guess?

    Probably worth a phone call as the guy was very straightforward to deal with, so if you say it's a referral & you thought there was 10% off he may well honour it.....
    I’ll try a few places today - thanks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I managed to get the Lidl version this morning, so let’s see how it works out.
    Looks like good value that one!

  22. #172
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Here and there mostly
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I managed to get the Lidl version this morning, so let’s see how it works out.
    Let us know how you get on, a few pics would be good too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I managed to get the Lidl version this morning, so let’s see how it works out.
    Let us know how you get on, a few pics would be good too.

  23. #173

    Angry

    Wanna a laugh as I am about to cry, I just got a call to say my KJ will not be coming today, they have dropped it.....

  24. #174
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Wanna a laugh as I am about to cry, I just got a call to say my KJ will not be coming today, they have dropped it.....
    Get yourself to Lidl sharpish!

  25. #175
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Wanna a laugh as I am about to cry, I just got a call to say my KJ will not be coming today, they have dropped it.....
    The paranoia as i, with the help of my wife & daughter, tried to lift a 290lb egg from crate to stand was very strong!

  26. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I managed to get the Lidl version this morning, so let’s see how it works out.
    Did they have many in stock? Wouldn't mind one of these for my caravan. Nearest one to me is about 15 miles away though and no way to check stock levels.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  27. #177
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,939
    My nearest had none, and hadn’t had any delivered. The second closest had 3, then 2 when I got mine at 8.15 this morning and it’s a pain you can’t call ahead to check or reserve.
    Last edited by alanm_3; 21st May 2020 at 14:08.

  28. #178
    So they have said 2-3 weeks before they can get another.

    However, the have just come up with an amazing opp.......................

    In about an hour, I will have a Big Joe III

    Back to being over the moon

  29. #179
    Before you ask, not a free upgrade, but I am happy with what we agreed. Pics coming later:)

  30. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    My nearest had none, and hadn’t had any delivered. The second closest had 3, then 2 when I got mine at 8.15 this morning and it’s a pain you can’t call ahead to check or reserve.
    Thanks for that. Don't think it will be worth the trip then.


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  31. #181
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    71
    My lumpwood charcoal arrived today. 40kgs of it. Kamado should arrive tomorrow.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using TZ-UK mobile app

  32. #182
    All things today I gotta say size does matter.

    As you can see my wife is next in the BBQ. Maybe overkill for two people, but will not have to worry about do we have enough space for the brisket


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #183
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,807
    Can easily control and build a smaller fire with fire bricks, but can’t create more grill width, height yes, but that doesn’t help with huge cuts of meat.

    I cooked on my Smokey Joe today instead of lighting up the XL, loved the size of it & unfortunately now looking at a minimax for quick high temp cooks.

    The wife is not amused.

  34. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    All things today I gotta say size does matter.

    As you can see my wife is next in the BBQ. Maybe overkill for two people, but will not have to worry about do we have enough space for the brisket


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s a beast! Congrats!

  35. #185
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    All things today I gotta say size does matter.

    As you can see my wife is next in the BBQ. Maybe overkill for two people, but will not have to worry about do we have enough space for the brisket


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice purchase. Look forward to pics of your cooks.

  36. #186
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Jesus! How much does it weigh?

  37. #187
    Only 250lbs, glad they put it togther

  38. #188
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    12,496
    Just realized that the egg BBQs remind me of these:


  39. #189
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Anyone seen these:

    https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/sho...luetooth-9350/

    Looks interesting!

  40. #190
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    12,496
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Anyone seen these:

    https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/sho...luetooth-9350/

    Looks interesting!
    "There's nothing you can cook in a domestic kitched, that you can't cook in this." - go on then, make me Eggs Benedict.


    It does look interesting though, and the price is comparable to ceramic grills.

  41. #191
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Anyone seen these:

    https://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/sho...luetooth-9350/

    Looks interesting!
    Looks like a great bit of kit.

    Temperature probes and heat deflector included. Cast iron grate on the bottom for searing and steel grates above them for slower cooking. Electric ignition for easy starting. Side access for fuel top up. Storage drawer at the bottom. Downside is no side tables and mains power needed for the starting and temperature monitoring.

    https://youtu.be/Dkuaiavn3Mc

  42. #192
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chippenham ish
    Posts
    2,166
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Looks like a great bit of kit.

    Temperature probes and heat deflector included. Cast iron grate on the bottom for searing and steel grates above them for slower cooking. Electric ignition for easy starting. Side access for fuel top up. Storage drawer at the bottom. Downside is no side tables and mains power needed for the starting and temperature monitoring.

    https://youtu.be/Dkuaiavn3Mc
    I love a bit of tech and it seems to do everything the KJ with some cool upgrades. Going to do some investigating I think.......


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information